Mariah Carey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by leoavalon View Post
    We know that we're desperate for some news from Mariah when we start rating her albums again...
    Her not releasing any news and being out of the spotlight is a perfect opportunity for fans and people to appreciate her catalog. So hopefully she's quiet for longer.
    See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
    See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• I've had the opportunity now to listen to a few of her albums/songs I haven't played in a while, and am instantly in awe of them all over again.

Re: Emotions. I seem to recall in 1991/1992 seeing some videos of Mariah's songs and performances from that era and from Unplugged.
      To my young ears, this wasn't the fun pop music I was accustomed to listening to.

To my pre-teeny bop ears there was other music that was more palatable.

I remember watching Mariah win at the 93 American Music Awards over Amy Grant whose Baby Baby was that 'fun' kinda music I enjoyed back then
      I recollect from what memory I have of that time that I viewed Mariah as a more mature singer - both in sound and age (!).

Looking back now I can understand that sentiment. Emotions is such a mature and well honed album by an artist beyond her years. Unplugged too. There was some serious artistry there and I didn't appreciate it when I was younger.

But today I look at Emotions with huge respect and appreciation. It is a mature sound, but one that reflects an understanding of music.

Re: The Wind - I think it's a great closer, but it's another one of those tracks that makes Emotions seem like the work of a much more seasoned artist. Not a 21 year old.

MESMARIAHSING!

Comment

• Originally posted by InfoFromAus View Post
        I've had the opportunity now to listen to a few of her albums/songs I haven't played in a while, and am instantly in awe of them all over again.

Re: Emotions. I seem to recall in 1991/1992 seeing some videos of Mariah's songs and performances from that era and from Unplugged.
        To my young ears, this wasn't the fun pop music I was accustomed to listening to.

To my pre-teeny bop ears there was other music that was more palatable.

I remember watching Mariah win at the 93 American Music Awards over Amy Grant whose Baby Baby was that 'fun' kinda music I enjoyed back then
        I recollect from what memory I have of that time that I viewed Mariah as a more mature singer - both in sound and age (!).

Looking back now I can understand that sentiment. Emotions is such a mature and well honed album by an artist beyond her years. Unplugged too. There was some serious artistry there and I didn't appreciate it when I was younger.

But today I look at Emotions with huge respect and appreciation. It is a mature sound, but one that reflects an understanding of music.

Re: The Wind - I think it's a great closer, but it's another one of those tracks that makes Emotions seem like the work of a much more seasoned artist. Not a 21 year old.

Well put, it's as you mentioned, and I think they (Sony) tried to be on par with her then straight girl next door image. Back then, a woman wearing too revealing outfits was usually shamed by critics and public alike but a woman in her 20's wearing conservative clothes like in her 40's or 50's would pass as elegant. The 90's was a decade with good music but very judgemental image wise. Mariah was a multiformat hit artist since the beginning so they tried to keep her AC fanbase, specially after she was so successful in the "oh so conservative toward women" asian market. And the same path she had to go with her music, she could record a sexy, flirty track like Dreamlover, but then MOR ballads would follow.

Comment

• Originally posted by bm08 View Post

Her not releasing any news and being out of the spotlight is a perfect opportunity for fans and people to appreciate her catalog. So hopefully she's quiet for longer.
          !!!!!!!

who else has the material… y’all should be grateful

Comment

• Originally posted by bm08 View Post
            I disagree with the whole lot of you regarding Emotions.

To me, it is her most soulful album where she is not trying to sing technically perfect but really singing from her gut. I dont know how to describe it. But it feels more raw to me. I told someone it’s her Blackest album. Maybe aside from Einstein or Memoirs (which has more urban flare lyrically)

I am here for the And You Dont Remember praise though.

I guess the one song that probably people would fight me about is The Wind. Lovely song but felt like it didnt really fit. It is a bit boring to me. I wish VOL was on Emotions instead of The Wind.
            I love Emotions melodies and vocals

Comment

• Originally posted by delapuerta View Post
              The nerve

Originally posted by stevyy View Post
              the debut album was released in June 1990, but only exploded in spring of 1991. lol. what a beast.
              I know!

"Mariah Carey" AKA Debut entered the US Billboard 200 at number 80, and reached the top 20 in its fourth week. The album topped the chart in its 36th week, due to Carey's exposure at the 33rd Annual Grammy Awards, and stayed there for 11 consecutive weeks.

That's crazy!

Originally posted by InfoFromAus View Post
              Welcome and sorry I don't have the info.
              Either your post got missed or no one knows ?
              Welcome dahling! MariahLambNL
              Sorry, couldn't find that footage

Originally posted by bm08 View Post
              I disagree with the whole lot of you regarding Emotions.

To me, it is her most soulful album where she is not trying to sing technically perfect but really singing from her gut. I dont know how to describe it. But it feels more raw to me. I told someone it’s her Blackest album. Maybe aside from Einstein or Memoirs (which has more urban flare lyrically)

I am here for the And You Dont Remember praise though.

I guess the one song that probably people would fight me about is The Wind. Lovely song but felt like it didnt really fit. It is a bit boring to me. I wish VOL was on Emotions instead of The Wind.
              I agree, except for The Wind bit.

I'm so glad VOL is on her first album.
              That's the way a legend makes her debut.
              With an iconic song that inspired a whole generation.

And The Wind is perfect as the closure for Emotions album.
              Such a masterpiece. An underrated gem.
              She was showing her versatility and artistry on there, I love to see it.
              Last edited by Shaka; Tue January 18, 2022, 15:28.

Comment

• Originally posted by MsWeiss View Post
                In no particular order, my favorite Mariah albums are Emotions, Butterfly, Charmbracelet, Emancipation, Memoirs, MCIIY, MIAMTEC & Rarities. They’re all equal in quality in my book
                Mine (Top 3):

Butterfly
                Caution
                Charmbracelet/Emotions

If I have to choose because of vocals, so Merry Christmas and then Emotions.

If I have to choose because of lyrics, first Butterfly and then Charmie.

If I have to choose as a whole body of work, I'd probably go with Caution and then Butterfly.

But I love all of her albums for different reasons.
                IMO she has the best discography ever, just untouchable.

Originally posted by leoavalon View Post
                We know that we're desperate for some news from Mariah when we start rating her albums again...
                C'mon, we love rankings

Originally posted by bm08 View Post
                Yeah, that's kinda true.
                Lately I've been enjoying Daydream and Einstein, which I didn't revisit for quite a long time.

I guess she'll be kinda MIA till March.

P.S. her streams are kinda after Xmas.

Comment

• Originally posted by InfoFromAus View Post

Yes.
                  Exactly.
                  All of this.
                  I guess that's why I love Emotions so much.
                  The growth in terms of artistry compared to her (amazing) debut album is quite shocking (IMO, for good).
                  It's evident she had more control on that one.

But the funny thing is, I could see her releasing something like that masterpiece of an album now.
                  But instead she gave us another kind of masterpiece (Caution) that is just as good but on another whole level.

She never ceases to amaze me.

Originally posted by TheRealest View Post
                  who else has the material… y’all should be grateful
                  We're so lucky.
                  Like really.

Comment

• My favourites are (in no order within tier) minus the Christmas albums.

TOP TIER
                    Emotions
                    Daydream
                    Butterfly
                    TEOM

SECOND TIER
                    Debut
                    Music Box
                    Einstein
                    Caution

THIRD TIER
                    Rainbow
                    Glitter
                    Charmbracelet

FOURTH TIER
                    Memoirs
                    MIAM
                    To avoid any upset, please note; anything I post is purely my opinion. If I feel it is a fact, I will state that I feel it is a fact. Lol.

Comment

• Mariah Carey PRAISES Beyoncé & Rihanna in must-see Interview!

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthernMonkey View Post

FOURTH TIER
                        Memoirs
                        MIAM
                        There was a point in time when Memoirs was my favourite album. Then it became among my least favourite. Now it's hoovering somewhere in the middle.

It's one of those albums I do not play often but when I do I wonder why I dont play it more because I love it.

I always get my life to Standing O.

See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                        See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• King Lesage

THIS is artistry... Mariah Carey SINGS I don't want to cry | Tokyo dome 1996 reaction

INSANE POWER! unbelievable belting! | Mariah Carey sings Emotions at tokyo dome 1996 (reaction)

I love him

Comment

• Memoirs is so underrated.
                            Love that album.

Candy Bling is that b1tch and Betcha slays.
                            Also Languishing is one of the best things ever done.

It has no skips for me.

Comment

• Btw.. my fourth tier albums doesn’t mean I don’t like them

they're just my least favourites haha.

Betcha is one of my favourite songs by her since 2000
                              To avoid any upset, please note; anything I post is purely my opinion. If I feel it is a fact, I will state that I feel it is a fact. Lol.

Comment

• Betcha and HATEU alone are worth all the filler songs in Memoirs. Candy Bling is just awful tho.
                                My Chart

Comment

• In my world, there are only two tiers... top tier and 2nd tier (which is also amazin)... and the only album in 2nd tier is Memoirs.
                                  My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post
                                    Betcha and HATEU alone are worth all the filler songs in Memoirs. Candy Bling is just awful tho.
                                    Oh, please.
                                    CB is a masterpiece.

So addictive & dreamy

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthernMonkey View Post
                                      Betcha is one of my favourite songs by her since 2000

This song needed a fvcing amazing cinematic MV.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                                        This song needed a fvcing amazing cinematic MV.
                                        I still remember watching this and wishing for a music video so bad. The lyrics scream STORYLINE

Comment

• Ranking her Albums is pretty hard. Some of my fav songs from MC are on Rainbow and TEOM for instance but those two are my least favorite in terms of listening experience from start to finish.

TOP TIER
                                          Caution
                                          Butterfly
                                          Daydream
                                          Emotions
                                          The Rarities
                                          MCIIY

SECOND TIER
                                          Memoirs
                                          Glitter
                                          MIAM
                                          Merry Christmas

THIRD TIER
                                          E=MC2
                                          Mariah Carey
                                          Music Box

FOURTH TIER
                                          Rainbow
                                          Charmbracelet
                                          TEOM
                                          Last edited by Xmas; Tue January 18, 2022, 20:18.

Comment

• Originally posted by Xmas View Post
                                            I still remember watching this and wishing for a music video so bad. The lyrics scream STORYLINE
                                            Yep.
                                            In B&W.
                                            Such a waste.
                                            But maybe it's a good thing that they didn't do one 'cause Nick was directing all her vids at that time

Comment

• Originally posted by Xmas View Post

Ranking her Albums is pretty hard. Some of my fav songs from MC are on Rainbow and TEOM for instance but those two are my list favorite in terms of listening experience from start to finish.
                                              Well, this happens to me with MIAM.
                                              I think Dedicated and #B are some of her best songs from her entire catalog (Dedicated is Top 10 for me) but as a whole, the album is a nope.
                                              The half of it is brilliant tho!

Comment

King Lesage

THIS is artistry... Mariah Carey SINGS I don't want to cry | Tokyo dome 1996 reaction

INSANE POWER! unbelievable belting! | Mariah Carey sings Emotions at tokyo dome 1996 (reaction)

I love him
                                                He´s the full package.

Comment

Oh, please.
                                                  CB is a masterpiece.

So addictive & dreamy
                                                  Currently obsessed with the CB stripped version and HMMTTN "mix del polvo del oeste", hahaha

Comment

Yep.
                                                    In B&W.
                                                    Such a waste.
                                                    But maybe it's a good thing that they didn't do one 'cause Nick was directing all her vids at that time
                                                    OMG! I used to do the same thing! I used to play betcha non stop imagining the music video.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X