• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lol we love an album ranking moment. So not including Christmas albums

God-like Tier
    Butterfly

Top Tier
    Caution
    Memoirs (despite a a couple dreadful songs)
    TEOM
    The Rarities (DYTOM through the to Mesmerized is no skips)
    Unplugged

Middle Tier (Great songs mixed with filler)
    MIAMTEC
    Daydream
    Emotions

The "I don't really use" Tier
    E=mc2
    Debut
    Music Box

I don't know any other Mariah albums

Comment

• Betcha is also great for vocalizing, harmonizing, doing your own bg lines... or am I alone in this?
      I can't even know what to say...

Comment

• Kelly Price on Singing w/ Mariah Carey: I Never Met Anyone Who Looked White & Sang Like Her (Part 3)

Comment

• Butterfly was a bigger slump than Emotions especially internationally.

I get that it has a cult like following but the drastic change in styles really hurt her numerically.

Big power ballads and pop songs were the big appeal of the mid 90s. She was in that lane and known for vocal showcases but butterfly changed all that.

Celine who didn’t change her style benefited greatly from Mariah’s absence in that power ballad space.

Comment

• Originally posted by Juancito75 View Post
            Hes the full package.
            Yep

Originally posted by ChristmasJedi View Post
            OMG! I used to do the same thing! I used to play betcha non stop imagining the music video.
            I guess every lamb did that at some point

Originally posted by Milano View Post
            Betcha is also great for vocalizing, harmonizing, doing your own bg lines... or am I alone in this?
            Betcha is good for everything

Comment

• Between MIAM/Memoirs, Memoirs remains a fav for me. I enjoy the album, esp tracks 1 through 6. I kinda feel the same about the first half of MIAM but I still connect more with Memoirs.

Imagine something like this:

Part 1: Laugh & Anger TELL IT ALL
              1. Betcha Gon' Know
              2. Obsessed
              3. Thirsty
              4. Standing O
              5. It's A Wrap
              6. Up Out My Face
              7. You Don't Know What To Do (edit)
              8. Faded

Part 2: Back in love with you
              1. H.A.T.E.U
              2. #Beautiful
              3. Inseparable
              4. Ribbon
              5. Money
              6. Make It Look Good
              7. I Want to Know What Love Is

Part 4: Reminiscing
              1. Cry.
              2. Angels Cry
              3. Angel (the prelude)
              4. Candy Bling
              5. Languishing
              6. One More Try (re recorded and edited)
              7. Dedicated

#mariahcarey #lambforlife

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                Kelly Price on Singing w/ Mariah Carey: I Never Met Anyone Who Looked White & Sang Like Her (Part 3)

She has a similar speaking voice to Mariah, they blended quite well

Comment

• I wish Mariah would've chosen another cover for MIAM.

I'm not a fan of the original OMT tbh.

I'd love if she would cover a more recent hit, or something out of her comfort zone, like she did with BOTH (even tho she adapted the track to her style).

Comment

• Originally posted by allygdale View Post
                    She has a similar speaking voice to Mariah, they blended quite well
                    Leaving all the personal things aside, I think their work together was amazing and Kelly is a great great vocalist.

Comment

I wish Mariah would've chosen another cover for MIAM.

I'm not a fan of the original OMT tbh.

I'd love if she would cover a more recent hit, or something out of her comfort zone, like she did with BOTH (even tho she adapted the track to her style).
                      OMT has always been one of my fav GM songs, so I was over the moon to learn Mariah did it!!

I really want Mariah to cover Eternal Flame... one of my all-time fav songs. I know it was done before, but I want the Mariah makeover.
                      #mariahcarey #lambforlife

Comment

• TOP TIER
                        Mariah Carey
                        Emotions
                        E=MC

SECOND TIER
                        Music Box
                        Merry Christmas
                        Daydream
                        Butterfly
                        Rainbow
                        The Emancipation of Mimi
                        Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel
                        Merry Christmas II You
                        Me. I am Mariah

THIRD TIER
                        Glitter
                        Charmbracelet
                        Caution
                        The Rarities

FOURTH TIER
                        -
                        UKMIX Favourite Members 2021: RayRay being the first member to appear on 20 different voting lists!

Comment

• The music industry and the artist success are so unpredictable.
                          Look at The Weeknd.
                          DawnFM kinda flopped by his standards - he's been on a high for some years.
                          His new single with a video, sent to radio, a new mid-week deluxe thing, the anticipation... all of that and didn't even crack the Top 10.
                          Gunna did better than him, that was totally unexpected (both on BB 200 and BB Hot 100) with less promo.

That's goes to show that nothing is guarranted.

And I'm bringing this up 'cause we're always saying if MC would collabo with bla bla bla it would be a hit, and that's totally uncertain.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tomer_MC View Post
                            OMT has always been one of my fav GM songs, so I was over the moon to learn Mariah did it!!

I really want Mariah to cover Eternal Flame... one of my all-time fav songs. I know it was done before, but I want the Mariah makeover.
                            Oh no, that song is a big nope for me, LOL.

No more cover of ballads, please.

I prefer a jazz number or something more rock-ish.

I'd love Mariah to cover Creep (unpopular opinion, I know). I think she would make an interesting twist.

Comment

The music industry and the artist success are so unpredictable.
                              Look at The Weeknd.
                              DawnFM kinda flopped by his standards - he's been on a high for some years.
                              His new single with a video, sent to radio, a new mid-week deluxe thing, the anticipation... all of that and didn't even crack the Top 10.
                              Gunna did better than him, that was totally unexpected (both on BB 200 and BB Hot 100) with less promo.

That's goes to show that nothing is guarranted.

And I'm bringing this up 'cause we're always saying if MC would collabo with bla bla bla it would be a hit, and that's totally uncertain.
                              I agree! The weeknd was the top artist of 2021 and yet this must have been disappointing for him. He will probably get that #1 later on when he releases a new version of the album with hot features.

Comment

Oh no, that song is a big nope for me, LOL.

No more cover of ballads, please.

I prefer a jazz number or something more rock-ish.

I'd love Mariah to cover Creep (unpopular opinion, I know). I think she would make an interesting twist.
                                I want her to cover Nothing’s Gonna Stop Us Now by Starship and Last Dance by Donna Summer

Comment

• Originally posted by InfoFromAus View Post
                                  I've had the opportunity now to listen to a few of her albums/songs I haven't played in a while, and am instantly in awe of them all over again.

Re: Emotions. I seem to recall in 1991/1992 seeing some videos of Mariah's songs and performances from that era and from Unplugged.
                                  To my young ears, this wasn't the fun pop music I was accustomed to listening to.

To my pre-teeny bop ears there was other music that was more palatable.

I remember watching Mariah win at the 93 American Music Awards over Amy Grant whose Baby Baby was that 'fun' kinda music I enjoyed back then
                                  I recollect from what memory I have of that time that I viewed Mariah as a more mature singer - both in sound and age (!).

Looking back now I can understand that sentiment. Emotions is such a mature and well honed album by an artist beyond her years. Unplugged too. There was some serious artistry there and I didn't appreciate it when I was younger.

But today I look at Emotions with huge respect and appreciation. It is a mature sound, but one that reflects an understanding of music.

Re: The Wind - I think it's a great closer, but it's another one of those tracks that makes Emotions seem like the work of a much more seasoned artist. Not a 21 year old.

I was a huge fan of Martika, Debbie Gibson and some other peers of Mariah in the late 80s. They were seen as bright young fresh artists. When Mariah released her debut in 1990 she was seen as a more mature singer right from the start. The way she dressed, her music, her image, her sound, just everything. I know she didn't like how SONY portrait her in those early days, but it did make her an instant serious songwriter vocalist. She didn't have to transcend from having a young image to a more mature artist. (Although Debbie Gibson wrote, produced and played instruments on her albums, she had the young poppy image anyway and it seemed she couldn't shake it off, even though she started to record songs and videos like Losin' Myself and Shock Your Mama.)

When Emotions was released, which is probably still her most soulful album with her writing with Carole King and ending the album with a jazz song, it strengthened the notion she was this mature singer who was an old soul in a young woman's body.

And then there was Unplugged, the sort of concert which was not done by other women, but only by other mature respected singers like Eric Clapton.

I think this was one of the reasons she was so loved in my country. Everyone thought she was like this serious songwriter, amazing vocalist and couldn't do no wrong. It wasn't till Butterfly when she changed her music style, her outfits and her "pretending" to be a diva, when people here didn't take her that serious anymore and she slowly lost interest from the GP.

I feel some lambs never give her enough credit for those amazing first years. I know it's not everything Mariah wanted to be, but she still wrote those songs and most of them are amazing.
                                  UKMIX Favourite Members 2021: RayRay being the first member to appear on 20 different voting lists!

Comment

• The fact that one of the most successful artists rn needs hot features to have a hit speaks volume.

Comment

Creep by TLC... I would think it will fit her perfectly.

Comment

• Originally posted by ChristmasJedi View Post
                                        I want her to cover Nothing’s Gonna Stop Us Now by Starship and Last Dance by Donna Summer
                                        Sis please

I find "Hot Stuff" more interesting in any case.
                                        Like "Love Hangover" Part 2.

Comment

Sis please

I find "Hot Stuff" more interesting in any case.
                                          Like "Love Hangover" Part 2.
                                          Choices my dear, choices
                                          I guess i would love it if she covers wham! careless whisper which is such a hit again thanks to tiktok

Comment

• Stream b1tches!

Comment

• WOW! Amazing performance! Mariah Carey sings Forever at Tokyo Dome | Vocal coach ANALYZES (reaction)

I can listen to him talk for hours. Literally.

The bathroom in the back is distracting me tho

Comment

Stream b1tches!

I always wondered why whitney’s album doesn’t credit Mariah on WYB. Do you know why, Shaka?

Comment

• I've always wanted her to cover Show me heaven.
                                                  I don't know why, but everytime I hear the chorus, I picture her belting it out
                                                  Just a DEVIANT, PERTURBED, DERANGED, MACABRE, MANIAC, LUNATIC, IRRATIONAL PSYCHO-TO-BE.

Comment

• Originally posted by Askforsnow View Post
                                                    Butterfly was a bigger slump than Emotions especially internationally.

I get that it has a cult like following but the drastic change in styles really hurt her numerically.

I disagree with the characterisation that the album has a "cult like following"

Butterfly is considered one of the most iconic R&B albums in the 90s or even of all time.

An album that I would say has a cult following would be something like Glitter. Butterfly is far from that.
                                                    See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                                                    See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

Working...
                                                    X