Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post

But J.Lo isn't even singing one single word here, LOL

I used to love that song when I was a kid.
    The Spanish version is called Una Noche Más and the MV was hot!

There was a chart here and it was at #2 while Genie In a Bottle was #1

Probably Sebastian or ChristmasJedi remember that!
    I do! I loved Una noche mas, and the Hex Hector remix of Waiting for tonight too.

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post

I never liked Diane Warren. Mariah should have finished CTTA with someone else... literally anyone.
      She is such an iconic songwriter. I was really happy she worked with Mariah. CTTA is one of my personal favorites of Mariah.
      UKMIX Favourite Members 2021: RayRay being the first member to appear on 20 different voting lists!

Comment

• I love Rainbow.

It was such a great era.

First we had Heartbreaker with great dance remixes and a brilliant video.

Then we had Thank God I Found You with re-sung remixes and her promoting it on tv.

We had the Rainbow World Tour (which I was lucky enough to see in Antwerp and London).

Next was Against All Odss which reached the Dutch Top 40 twice. First the solo version (with dance remixes) and next the version with Westlife.

Can't Take That Away/Crybaby was also a great release. It gave us dance remixes of CTTA and best of all: Heartbreaker/Love Hangover on CD. Unfortunately it was the only single that didn't reach the Dutch Top 40 although CTTA did get radio airplay here.

All in all I really enjoyed the era. At the time I thought How Much and X-Girlfriend could have been hits as well. I really loved this album.
        UKMIX Favourite Members 2021: RayRay being the first member to appear on 20 different voting lists!

Comment

• These chats about Mariah's different eras got me back to listening to some albums I haven't heard in a while.
          Rainbow is one of my least fave albums from her in terms of being a cohesive album, but I have a renewed appreciation for it.

The songs individually are great (for the most part). The vocals and Mariah's tone are super impressive. There are some super quality moments.

It's easy to write off Bliss as just a song of high notes, but the song itself is brilliant.
          Listening to it recently, it reminded me of some of the later songs (late 2010s and 2020s) that Mariah has come out with, in terms of its structure, lyrics, vocals.
          It's a great R&B track, and it could easily have fit on Memoirs or found a home on Caution.
          Last edited by InfoFromAus; Sat January 22, 2022, 23:51.
          MESMARIAHSING!

Comment

---

P.S.
            Don't know why but I love her tone when she had a cold during Debut, Emotions & Music Box Eras (or maybe allergy?).
            It was so common for her during those 3 years/Eras in particular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP6R8Ga8m8c

Impressive how her range was still intact and she didn't lose any ease.
            Dayum - I don't think I've seen this before but her voice was incredible. That's a powerful performance.

Originally posted by Shaka View Post

I love the use of her lower register on that track.
            I'd like to have the vocal stems of that song.

IMO it works live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdHbwA1zFtI

Her tone!
            There is a serious disconnect between Crybaby and Mariah wearing a full length sparkly gown

MESMARIAHSING!

Comment

But J.Lo isn't even singing one single word here, LOL

I used to love that song when I was a kid.
              The Spanish version is called Una Noche Más and the MV was hot!

There was a chart here and it was at #2 while Genie In a Bottle was #1

Probably Sebastian or ChristmasJedi remember that!
              What chart are you talking about? The only chart I knew as a kid was Los 10 Mas Pedidos on MTV

I actually like many Jennifer songs from her first 3 albums. They would play her videos a lot on MTV while they would hardly play Mariah.
              Previously known as sYair

Follow me on LastFM: http://www.lastfm.es/user/S-Yair
              www.instagram.com/sebastiansuaid/

Comment

• The Independent chosing Mariah among the best pop stars in cinema:

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-b1998117.html
                Reddit | r/MariahCarey: https://www.reddit.com/r/MariahCarey/
                Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/user/leoinavalon
                Instagram: https://instagram.com/leoavalon/

Comment

•  

Comment

WTF. This is an astounding performance. I had to use all my lamb powers to carefully listen and decide whether or not it was lipped - but it's all live and literally studio quality for the most parts, except where she adlibbed/did variations on purpose. Amazing.

Comment

• She sounds amazing but sick and cloudy

Comment

• Countdown used to be my favorite show back in the day. This performance of Love Takes Time was the first Mariah clip I recorded on VHS. She may have a cold, but I love this version where she sings lower here and there. In fact, it's always been my favorite version of the song.

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post

Countdown used to be my favorite show back in the day. This performance of Love Takes Time was the first Mariah clip I recorded on VHS. She may have a cold, but I love this version where she sings lower here and there. In fact, it's always been my favorite version of the song.
                          Another amazing performance. I am always astounded how she can transition so effortlessfly from mid-belt to whistle, and then casually go into falsetto. Once of a kind talent. I had seen this one but for some reason, had never seen the VOL one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Almond View Post

Another amazing performance. I am always astounded how she can transition so effortlessfly from mid-belt to whistle, and then casually go into falsetto. Once of a kind talent. I had seen this one but for some reason, had never seen the VOL one.
                            Even though I followed Mariah since 1990, I've only seen Vision Of Love years later. Mariah came to the Netherlands to promote both songs when Love Takes Time was on the chart. Therefor LTT was broadcast right away on national tv. Countdown also had a show for another tv channel (abroad), where VOL and LTT both were broadcast. I guess that's why the LTT performance is better known and recorded by more peope and so easier to find on YouTube. Also, there are way more VOL performances out there, so it can get lost in a long list when you google it.

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post
                              She is such an iconic songwriter. I was really happy she worked with Mariah. CTTA is one of my personal favorites of Mariah.
                              Yeah, loved that collabo.

Originally posted by RayRay View Post
                              I love Rainbow.

It was such a great era.

First we had Heartbreaker with great dance remixes and a brilliant video.

Then we had Thank God I Found You with re-sung remixes and her promoting it on tv.

We had the Rainbow World Tour (which I was lucky enough to see in Antwerp and London).

Next was Against All Odss which reached the Dutch Top 40 twice. First the solo version (with dance remixes) and next the version with Westlife.

Can't Take That Away/Crybaby was also a great release. It gave us dance remixes of CTTA and best of all: Heartbreaker/Love Hangover on CD. Unfortunately it was the only single that didn't reach the Dutch Top 40 although CTTA did get radio airplay here.

All in all I really enjoyed the era. At the time I thought How Much and X-Girlfriend could have been hits as well. I really loved this album.
                              I also loved the Rainbow Era and I had great memories about it.
                              Again, it's very personal for me so I'm very attached to the album on an emotional level, since with it I became a fan.

Also it was the first (and only time) she visited my country, and the interview with Marley was great! Some special moments that day:

Her tone

P.S. I don't see How Much or X-Girlfriend doing well at that time, maybe I'm wrong
                              ​​​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by ChristmasJedi View Post
                                I do! I loved Una noche mas, and the Hex Hector remix of Waiting for tonight too.
                                I prefer the OG (and the Spanish version) but that remix was good too!

Originally posted by Sebastian View Post
                                What chart are you talking about? The only chart I knew as a kid was Los 10 Mas Pedidos on MTV
                                Yeah, that one.
                                There was also a special called "Los 100 + Pedidos" at the end of 2000.

Also the other radio chart was "Los 40 Principales" (FM 105.5) and she was at the top on there as well.
                                I think this one still exists but it was VERY popular during the late 90s - early 00's and now not so much.

Comment

• Originally posted by InfoFromAus View Post
                                  These chats about Mariah's different eras got me back to listening to some albums I haven't heard in a while.
                                  Rainbow is one of my least fave albums from her in terms of being a cohesive album, but I have a renewed appreciation for it.

The songs individually are great (for the most part). The vocals and Mariah's tone are super impressive. There are some super quality moments.

It's easy to write off Bliss as just a song of high notes, but the song itself is brilliant.
                                  Listening to it recently, it reminded me of some of the later songs (late 2010s and 2020s) that Mariah has come out with, in terms of its structure, lyrics, vocals.
                                  It's a great R&B track, and it could easily have fit on Memoirs or found a home on Caution.
                                  Yeah, I know what you mean about the album lacking cohesion as a whole body of work.
                                  But I love the individual tracks.
                                  The trio How Much/X-Girlfriend/Did I Do That? it's not on par with the rest of tracks quality wise but the tone saved them.
                                  I think the interludes are gorgeous and Bliss is a masterpiece, not only in the use of the whisle register, but the song is amazing, sexy and a lil playful yet mature at the same time, and the harmonies are beautiful. The melody is great too.
                                  I appreciate the fact that it's different from anything she did before and after that.
                                  I can see it on Caution but also on Godbracelet.

Originally posted by InfoFromAus View Post
                                  Dayum - I don't think I've seen this before but her voice was incredible. That's a powerful performance.
                                  I know!
                                  The whistle was so piercing!

Originally posted by InfoFromAus View Post
                                  There is a serious disconnect between Crybaby and Mariah wearing a full length sparkly gown
                                  Oh, c'mon, sis has been performing OHN wearing a leotard for years

Comment

• Originally posted by Almond View Post
                                    WTF. This is an astounding performance. I had to use all my lamb powers to carefully listen and decide whether or not it was lipped - but it's all live and literally studio quality for the most parts, except where she adlibbed/did variations on purpose. Amazing.
                                    Yeah.
                                    Sometimes I watch old performances and I'm like "that sounded exactly like the studio version" tho I know it was all live, but it's amazing how she could replicate (and most of the times exceed) her already hard & complex studio vocals. I mean, she demolished VOL, Vanishing & If It's Over studio performances with dem live renditions.

Originally posted by allygdale View Post
                                    She sounds amazing but sick and cloudy
                                    I kinda dig that sound.
                                    It's like a different texture, like Rainbow but without rasp, idk but I love it.

Originally posted by RayRay View Post
                                    Countdown used to be my favorite show back in the day. This performance of Love Takes Time was the first Mariah clip I recorded on VHS. She may have a cold, but I love this version where she sings lower here and there. In fact, it's always been my favorite version of the song.
                                    Amazing performance.
                                    Even if she had a cold, it didn't affect any part of her voice nor her range.
                                    And that whistle was so crystal clear and bird-like.

Funny how when she is sick her whistles become clearer and more powerful (most of the time).

Comment

• Look how cool!

---

LMAO!

Comment

• Comment

What a look! She’s serving 90s Audrey Hepburn

Comment

• Rainbow is better than TEOM. YEs, I've said it (someone had to).

I only care for:
                                            Heartbreaker
                                            CTTA
                                            AAO
                                            Crybaby
                                            Petals
                                            Rainbow Interlude
                                            TGIFY
                                            --
                                            ILT
                                            WBT
                                            SIO
                                            FLAB
                                            Sprung
                                            (I wish you knew) maybe
                                            (Joy Ride) maybe

Let's clash em:

ILT vs Heartbreaker
                                            CTTA vs WBT
                                            AAO vs SIO
                                            Crybaby vs IWYK
                                            Petals vs Joy Ride
                                            Rainbow Interlude vs FLAB
                                            Sprung vs TGIFY
                                            My Chart

Comment

• ILT vs Heartbreaker
                                              CTTA vs WBT
                                              AAO vs SIO
                                              Crybaby vs IWYK
                                              Petals vs Joy Ride
                                              Rainbow Interlude vs FLAB
                                              Sprung vs TGIFY

Comment

• @stevvy girl, you keep showing signs you've lost it completely.

Anyways, Rainbow is also one of my least fave Mariah records. It's really messy and sounds dated as hell. I only use Heartbreaker –original and rmx,– and Crybaby.
                                                Just a DEVIANT, PERTURBED, DERANGED, MACABRE, MANIAC, LUNATIC, IRRATIONAL PSYCHO-TO-BE.

Comment

• I know we all have different opinions, but Rainbow being better than TEOM is the most insane thing I've ever seen posted in this forum and I've been here since the day TMB leaked lol

WBT SIO
                                                  Say Something
                                                  Joyride
                                                  FLAB

All legendary.

Heartbreaker and Bliss are the only good things to come out of the mess that was Rainbow. The drop in quality from Butterfly to that album is one of the biggest musical mysteries of all time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kaloki View Post
                                                    The drop in quality from Butterfly to that album is one of the biggest musical mysteries of all time.
                                                    Musically and visually. The pressure must have been so hard.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X