No announcement yet.

Mariah Carey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All these conversation about different songs lately made me revisit some albums.

I'm now into Memoirs and I'm falling in love all over again.

Betcha, Candy Bling & Languishing are masterpieces.
    Ribbon, The Impossible (and The Reprise) and Inseparable are so underrated.
    Obsessed is THAT B1TCH.
    H.A.T.E.U. & Angels Cry are gorgeous ballads.
    It's A Wrap has amazing vocals on it.
    Standing O is kinda a bop.

Comment

• Originally posted by bm08 View Post

Another unfortunate post where you show just how much your taste remains wanting
      No it’s true. It’s Obsessed-lite, unfortunately it’s just missing everything that makes Obsessed an excellent song.
      funny how one can learn
      to grow numb to the madness
      and block it away

Comment

• Don't know why but kinda reminds me of DIDT?, but in a cool way.

Far from tragic.

Comment

I forgot about that. It would be cool to hear a new interpretation of that song
          Whole song leaked a while ago.
          It's called "By your side" and it's on YouTube.
          Don't know if it's a demo or the final version, tho!
          Just a DEVIANT, PERTURBED, DERANGED, MACABRE, MANIAC, LUNATIC, IRRATIONAL PSYCHO-TO-BE.

Comment

• Originally posted by LambChild View Post

No it’s true. It’s Obsessed-lite, unfortunately it’s just missing everything that makes Obsessed an excellent song.
            I get the Obsessed comparison in that it has that feel, but it's from an entirely different angle message/lyrics wise.

But it being obsessed-lite isnt too bad of a description either way considering how much obsessed bangs.

I just think it is a standout track on Memoirs given that it holds a bigger punch than other songs on the album
            See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
            See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• They have a similar vibe, but different music approaches as well.

Obsessed is built on auto-tune, for stylistic purposes of course.

Standing O uses it on the choruses. And also is more in your face vocally, especially the last minute or so.

I think it would've worked as a 2nd single.

Comment

• Originally posted by SawyerHewitt View Post
                Whole song leaked a while ago.
                It's called "By your side" and it's on YouTube.
                Don't know if it's a demo or the final version, tho!
                Definitely not finished.

Comment

• Mariah Carey: Underrated 2009 Vocal Moments (with vocal showcases)

That Dreamlover performance in Turkey, she sounded so fluid!

Comment

Another unfortunate post where you show just how much your taste remains wanting

Comment

I get the Obsessed comparison in that it has that feel, but it's from an entirely different angle message/lyrics wise.

But it being obsessed-lite isnt too bad of a description either way considering how much obsessed bangs.

I just think it is a standout track on Memoirs given that it holds a bigger punch than other songs on the album
                      I agree. What is all this hate to Outstanding Wow?? I like that song, the remix with Nicki was a moment

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                        All these conversation about different songs lately made me revisit some albums.

I'm now into Memoirs and I'm falling in love all over again.

Betcha, Candy Bling & Languishing are masterpieces.
                        Ribbon, The Impossible (and The Reprise) and Inseparable are so underrated.
                        Obsessed is THAT B1TCH.
                        H.A.T.E.U. & Angels Cry are gorgeous ballads.
                        It's A Wrap has amazing vocals on it.
                        Standing O is kinda a bop.

It took me a while to enjoy the whole album. Obsessed caught me unprepared. I did not know what i was listening. I remember i played Obsessed every day, trying so hard to enjoy it, until i finally gave in. I guess i did not expect that from Mariah and did not know how to handle it. Now I love it, it’s an iconic song.

Then the release of second single, which i loved first listen.

And when the album came out, i used to play those two + hateu, standing o, and Betcha (this is probably the most played)

Comment

• Memoirs for the longest time was my favourite Mariah album.... But that was my own edited version of the album with Inseparable and Standing O deleted and Hate U remix added

Comment

• Imperfect >>>>>>> Standing O & Obsessed

Comment

• Originally posted by ChristmasJedi View Post
                              It took me a while to enjoy the whole album. Obsessed caught me unprepared. I did not know what i was listening. I remember i played Obsessed every day, trying so hard to enjoy it, until i finally gave in. I guess i did not expect that from Mariah and did not know how to handle it. Now I love it, it’s an iconic song.

Then the release of second single, which i loved first listen.

And when the album came out, i used to play those two + hateu, standing o, and Betcha (this is probably the most played)
                              I remember waiting for Obsessed to premiere on radio and it was really unexpected indeed, but in a good way for me.
                              At that time kinda reminded me of Migrate, but way harder on the auto-tune of course LOL.
                              I loved it at the very first listen and I love diss-track-riah, so it was a big yes for me.
                              I enjoyed the whole album, and I still do. I think it's quite underappreciated.

Betcha is the best song on the album. A masterpiece.

And Candy Bling deserves more love.
                              It's the UST/4OJ/CB trio for me

Comment

• I like Imperfect. A good filler.
                                Tho lyrics are very cliché for me.

Obsessed is and always be THAT b1tch.
                                Dem lyrics are #pow. And the video is amazing.

An interesting/unexpected sound + great witty lyrics + amazing vid (w/ Mariah as a male rapper!) = ICONIC.

Comment

• I’ll never forget the Obsessed premiere either. For one, Mariah hadn’t released projects back to back like this since the 90s, E=MC2’s last single wasn’t even a year old yet!

It was sooo hot because it was like she made up for not releasing Migrate. The auto tune, lyrics and beat were all harder than anything she had previously released. Back then she faced ALOT of backlash for using auto tune and keeping up with the times… she was only 39 but society (especially as a woman in pop) was sooo different. They made her out to be too old to release something like Obsessed (again she was only 39) and critics (and bitching old fans) wanted “old Mariah” back so bad. Which is why we got IWTKWLI as the dreaded era killing 2nd single.

overall Obsessed was a bop and an undeniable one at that because despite the backlash it pushed all the way to the Top 10 and it had legs. I seriously wish they would’ve ignored what people had to say and she kept releasing bangers because these days songs like O are keeping her legacy alive and the ballads they chose to release over the BOPS her albums have had are forgotten in the year they flopped in.

Comment

• I liked Standing O... still do.

Though I think I prefer Ribbon. I think Standing O could have done well though.

Betcha is still the one though that is quality.
                                    And Obsessed is still fun.

The first half of that album is strong for me.
                                    MESMARIAHSING!

Comment

• These are what I believe to be Mariah’s best crafted songs from a technical and emotive perspective. These are her signature songs that set her apart from everyone else and give a distinct “Mariah” style which shows her talent as a songwriter and singer. These are the songs that don’t fade with time, can be played forever and still be appreciated. (This is based on critical acclaim, influence, industry recognition, popularity, and personal opinion). So without further a do here’s the list.

Vision Of Love

Love Takes Time

I Dont Wanna Cry

If It’s Over

Always Be My Baby

Dreamlover

My All

Hero

All I Want For Christmas Is You

Fantasy

Melt Away

Bliss

The Roof

Subtle Invitation

Shake It Off

Say Somethin

Candy Bling

Emotions

Honey

Giving Me Life

Fourth Of July

The Wind

Breakdown

Slipping Away

We Belong Together

Comment

• Originally posted by TheRealest View Post
                                        I’ll never forget the Obsessed premiere either. For one, Mariah hadn’t released projects back to back like this since the 90s, E=MC2’s last single wasn’t even a year old yet!

It was sooo hot because it was like she made up for not releasing Migrate. The auto tune, lyrics and beat were all harder than anything she had previously released. Back then she faced ALOT of backlash for using auto tune and keeping up with the times… she was only 39 but society (especially as a woman in pop) was sooo different. They made her out to be too old to release something like Obsessed (again she was only 39) and critics (and bitching old fans) wanted “old Mariah” back so bad. Which is why we got IWTKWLI as the dreaded era killing 2nd single.

overall Obsessed was a bop and an undeniable one at that because despite the backlash it pushed all the way to the Top 10 and it had legs. I seriously wish they would’ve ignored what people had to say and she kept releasing bangers because these days songs like O are keeping her legacy alive and the ballads they chose to release over the BOPS her albums have had are forgotten in the year they flopped in.
                                        This song has aged better than tons of the songs from that same DECADE.

What I like most about that track is how you can sing to something different each time you listen that track (on headphones where u can hear everything better).

When Mariah is allowed to do what she wants, she comes out with fire more often than not. I think that’s why Caution is so good… Mariah was free to be the eccentric super creative artist that she really is. I hate when people want her to return to the nineties.
                                        can you commit to be my everything?

Comment

• Drop Skydiving queen

Comment

• Originally posted by MayoAndMustard View Post
                                            Imperfect >>>>>>> Standing O & Obsessed
                                            I cant believe what I am reading!!

Imperfect is a cute lil track but that’s about it. She has many songs that seem similar to it so it seems reductive to me. It isnt something I would return to after the beginning

Standing O and Obsessed both still bang. Standing O reminds me a bit of Olivia Rodrigo’s “deja vu” in messaging about the other girl. I love the “biggest fool in the world part” and the more rap-sung lyrics we see sooo many people doing now. I think it would go off for the tik tok generation.

Just like Obsessed. It’s still hot.

Comment

• The only thing I don’t like about Standing O are The-Dream backing vocals on the “oh! oh! oh!” hook

Comment

• Standing O and Obsessed to me sound like songs Mariah actually wants to sing. Very quick and easy lyrics - with those Mariahisms that are so witty. She didnt need a thesaurus (which so many people praise for the 10 pound words but could be overdone in some songs (eg. TAOLG). These songs dont try hard. They are sharp to the point and relatable. Just spitting fire.

I just know she has a secret rap album similar to Chick locked away somewhere

Comment

• Girls, Inseparable is one of the standouts from Memoirs. Deal with it.

Standing O is OK.

Obsessed was and still is DAT bish. I also remember the backlash she received for keeping up with the times and using autotune. They even pulled the single off iTunes in the UK to release IWKWLI later.

And Obsessed was at 52 at the official chart or smth if I'm not mistaken.

Huge mistake.
                                                  Just a DEVIANT, PERTURBED, DERANGED, MACABRE, MANIAC, LUNATIC, IRRATIONAL PSYCHO-TO-BE.

Comment

• Originally posted by SawyerHewitt View Post
                                                    Girls, Inseparable is one of the standouts from Memoirs. Deal with it.

Standing O is OK.

Obsessed was and still is DAT bish. I also remember the backlash she received for keeping up with the times and using autotune. They even pulled the single off iTunes in the UK to release IWKWLI later.

And Obsessed was at 52 at the official chart or smth if I'm not mistaken.

Huge mistake.
                                                    Inseparable became a favorite of mine eventually. It's gorgeous and understated. I also loved the duet remix. One of the few nice cut and paste ones from that era. I prefer the solo version of It's A Wrap over the MJB duet, for example.

Memoirs is fine. Not my fave. I stan Obsessed, HATE U, Candy Bling, More Than Just Friends, It's a Wrap, and now Inseparable.
                                                    You don’t have to be afraid of what you are!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X