• 04 Dec 2014

Originally posted by chanteuse
      always be my baby
      Her mid-low range here is fire. Really like it

Comment

• Marchum
        Superstar
        • 05 Jul 2018

She needs to work on her fitness and lose the corset, before going back to Vegas/touring. She’s not fit and it really affects her vocals.

Comment

• Rhomeyn
          • 28 Sep 2022

I understand she does not OWN her masters. She indeed OWNS her publishing. From my research, after 35 years, the masters revert to the artist. Yet, Mariah states in interviews that she has to approve samples of her music. I believe her publishing deal gives her more power than Taylor. I ponder if MC is fighting to get her master back...

Comment

• delapuerta
            Superstar
            • 04 Dec 2014

Hero
            It was very touching

Comment

• MattyOj
              • 16 Sep 2022

Originally posted by Rhomeyn
              I understand she does not OWN her masters. She indeed OWNS her publishing. From my research, after 35 years, the masters revert to the artist. Yet, Mariah states in interviews that she has to approve samples of her music. I believe her publishing deal gives her more power than Taylor. I ponder if MC is fighting to get her master back...
              Generally, the mechanical rights holder (usually the record label) can license music for use in media, reissue by a third party etc. without needing the approval of the publisher (usually the songwriter - but sadly not always). The publisher however DOES still have to be paid for any use. You’re correct that Mariah seems to have a better deal than most in that she’s had right of refusal with her music in the past. Walter has complained that she had prevented the use of their co-writes in various projects over the years, therefore blocking him from being paid. No doubt this is why he sold his publishing for a lump sum instead of having to deal with Mariah continually c*ck blocking him haha

Sampling however *always* requires the approval of the songwriter (IF they own the publishing) because it’s their created work. Someone like Siedah Garrett, who wrote Michael Jackson’s “Man In The Mirror”, has no say in how that song is used because she was an employed staff member when she wrote it. Quincy Jones owned anything that she wrote during that time. The music industry is littered with artists who were swindled out of their publishing. For Mariah to get that first publishing deal as a teenager worth a million dollars was a huge. Publishing was so lucrative that non-writers like Elvis or Celine Dion would only record certain songs if they could get a publishing cut. Elvis really wanted to record Dolly Parton’s “I Will Always Love You” but was unable to because she smartly refused to share the publishing with him and his manager. Earlier in her career Madonna would change a few lyrics here and there to be listed as a songwriter (“change a word, take a third”). “Papa Don’t Preach” and “Justify My Love” are examples of this. Mariah never had to worry about any of that because she only really needed a ‘conduit’ (piano player) to help her compose her own songs.

I’ve heard about master ownership reverting to the artist after 35 years but don’t know if it’s been been legally tested yet? Sony won’t want to give up Mariah’s masters easily, even though they were worth far more when music still sold.

Comment

• TheRealest
                Legend
                • 09 Dec 2009

I love her tone in that ABMB

Comment

• mm2912
                  Superstar
                  • 04 Jun 2016

Bros flopping

Comment

• stevyy
                    Site Supporter
                    • 14 May 2005

Glitter debuted with 1/4 of that.

I don't think a gay themed rom-com would be an attraction to the straight community.
                    My Chart

Comment

• skylynx
                      Superstar
                      • 12 Sep 2009

That' Always Be My Baby performance isn't as bad as I remembered.

Clearly she dodged the big notes and weren't ready for them. The final few bars also caused her alot of trouble.

But the nice thing is she lfited that damn dress and walked across the stage.

Comment

• skylynx
                        Superstar
                        • 12 Sep 2009

Originally posted by stevyy
                        Glitter debuted with 1/4 of that.

I don't think a gay themed rom-com would be an attraction to the straight community.
                        Well the promotion of this movie seemed very niche. It was basically all Billy going on talk shows.

Comment

• skylynx
                          Superstar
                          • 12 Sep 2009

Originally posted by MattyOj

Generally, the mechanical rights holder (usually the record label) can license music for use in media, reissue by a third party etc. without needing the approval of the publisher (usually the songwriter - but sadly not always). The publisher however DOES still have to be paid for any use. You’re correct that Mariah seems to have a better deal than most in that she’s had right of refusal with her music in the past. Walter has complained that she had prevented the use of their co-writes in various projects over the years, therefore blocking him from being paid. No doubt this is why he sold his publishing for a lump sum instead of having to deal with Mariah continually c*ck blocking him haha

Sampling however *always* requires the approval of the songwriter (IF they own the publishing) because it’s their created work. Someone like Siedah Garrett, who wrote Michael Jackson’s “Man In The Mirror”, has no say in how that song is used because she was an employed staff member when she wrote it. Quincy Jones owned anything that she wrote during that time. The music industry is littered with artists who were swindled out of their publishing. For Mariah to get that first publishing deal as a teenager worth a million dollars was a huge. Publishing was so lucrative that non-writers like Elvis or Celine Dion would only record certain songs if they could get a publishing cut. Elvis really wanted to record Dolly Parton’s “I Will Always Love You” but was unable to because she smartly refused to share the publishing with him and his manager. Earlier in her career Madonna would change a few lyrics here and there to be listed as a songwriter (“change a word, take a third”). “Papa Don’t Preach” and “Justify My Love” are examples of this. Mariah never had to worry about any of that because she only really needed a ‘conduit’ (piano player) to help her compose her own songs.

I’ve heard about master ownership reverting to the artist after 35 years but don’t know if it’s been been legally tested yet? Sony won’t want to give up Mariah’s masters easily, even though they were worth far more when music still sold.
                          I wonder if this arrangement Mariah has extend to her whole discog and eras or only certain albums?

Are we assuming that the deal she signed with IDJ gives her even more rights? Though I think we all know the most lucrative project from Mariah these days are the 3 albums that are Music Box, Merry Christmas and Daydream.

Comment

• skylynx
                            Superstar
                            • 12 Sep 2009

Billy Eichner Love is not love from the Bros soundtrack
                            Mariah gets a shoutout
                            I wonder if Mariah had something to do with Marc Shaiman being involved in Bros?

Comment

• David_Mimi
                              • 31 Aug 2020

Originally posted by mm2912
                              Bros flopping
                              Its not flopping, its supposed to be the second most watched movie this weekend in USA only surpassed by Smile

Comment

• delapuerta
                                Superstar
                                • 04 Dec 2014

Originally posted by David_Mimi

Its not flopping, its supposed to be the second most watched movie this weekend in USA only surpassed by Smile
                                What I love is the way of trying to relate that supposed 'flop' with Mariah lol

Comment

• Rhomeyn
                                  • 28 Sep 2022

thank you for the intel!

Comment

• MattyOj
                                    • 16 Sep 2022

Originally posted by skylynx

I wonder if this arrangement Mariah has extend to her whole discog and eras or only certain albums?

Are we assuming that the deal she signed with IDJ gives her even more rights? Though I think we all know the most lucrative project from Mariah these days are the 3 albums that are Music Box, Merry Christmas and Daydream.

If you check out the credits in “The Rarities”, Sony owns the copyright of everything recorded during the time Mariah was initially signed to the label. The unreleased material recorded while Mariah was signed to Virgin and IDJ however is owned by solely by her. If you view her IDJ albums (interesting, not including “Charmbracelet”) in iTunes they’re owned by UMG AND Mariah so she did have the foresight to negotiate a better deal with Universal.

Comment

• Rhomeyn
                                      • 28 Sep 2022

If you check out the credits in “The Rarities”, Sony owns the copyright of everything recorded during the time Mariah was initially signed to the label. The unreleased material recorded while Mariah was signed to Virgin and IDJ however is owned by solely by her. If you view her IDJ albums (interesting, not including “Charmbracelet”) in iTunes they’re owned by UMG AND Mariah so she did have the foresight to negotiate a better deal with Universal.
                                      Such a SMART businesswoman .

Comment

• stevyy
                                        Site Supporter
                                        • 14 May 2005

Mariah Carey's Top Streaming Songs on Spotify: daily (revised)

Timeframe: September 29th

01 - 1,161,388,937 - +234,439 - 1994 - All I want for Christmas Is You
                                        02 - 231,722,676 - +233,709 - 1995 - Fantasy
                                        03 - 402,995,753 - +209,824 - 2005 - We Belong Together
                                        04 - 58,372,708 - +181,363 - 2022 - Big Energy Remix
                                        05 - 209,023,919 - +148,164 - 2003 - I Know what You Want
                                        06 - 212,200,019 - +147,679 - 2009 - Obsessed
                                        07 - 285,283,654 - +147,358 - 1996 - Always be my Baby
                                        08 - 180,284,824 - +105,187 - 1994 - Without You
                                        09 - 205,436,954 - +104,227 - 1993 - Hero
                                        10 - 133,637,952 - +82,238 - 2008 - Touch my Body
                                        My Chart

Comment

• Rhomeyn
                                          • 28 Sep 2022

Originally posted by stevyy
                                          Mariah Carey's Top Streaming Songs on Spotify: daily (revised)

Timeframe: September 29th

01 - 1,161,388,937 - +234,439 - 1994 - All I want for Christmas Is You
                                          02 - 231,722,676 - +233,709 - 1995 - Fantasy
                                          03 - 402,995,753 - +209,824 - 2005 - We Belong Together
                                          04 - 58,372,708 - +181,363 - 2022 - Big Energy Remix
                                          05 - 209,023,919 - +148,164 - 2003 - I Know what You Want
                                          06 - 212,200,019 - +147,679 - 2009 - Obsessed
                                          07 - 285,283,654 - +147,358 - 1996 - Always be my Baby
                                          08 - 180,284,824 - +105,187 - 1994 - Without You
                                          09 - 205,436,954 - +104,227 - 1993 - Hero
                                          10 - 133,637,952 - +82,238 - 2008 - Touch my Body
                                          I manifest that Heartbreaker can eventually go in the Top Ten after the Bros movie premiere...

Comment

Working...