X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stevyy
    Site Supporter
    • 14 May 2005

Originally posted by Milano
    I’ll give you Money, for sure! That is some serious earwarm/bop right there!!
    Money is such a bawp. I can't at the GP not having any idea that it exists.
    My Chart

Comment

• CasualFlow
      Legend
      • 14 Nov 2012

Originally posted by Marchum

Camo feels too “try hard” for me. The vocals, the dozens of background vocals, the over the top lyrics…
      Cry definitely comes across more genuine and emotional to me.
      So sorta "camouflaged"? Maybe the song is exactly what the title says it is. If so, that is kinda genius - and honest in its own deeper way. Know what I mean?

Comment

• CasualFlow
        Legend
        • 14 Nov 2012

Originally posted by stevyy

Money is such a bawp. I can't at the GP not having any idea that it exists.
        It is. I'm listening to MIAM right now.

Comment

• Marchum
          Superstar
          • 05 Jul 2018

hey hey I like that, oh ohh I like that! Jets on holidays, chefs with hollandaaaaise!

Comment

• CasualFlow
            Legend
            • 14 Nov 2012

it all depends on streaming and great great marketing campaign. Miley was such a flop before Flowers and her new album has been rejected by the GP as well... it will probably chart for 5-10 weeks and then that's it and it is only being alive right now due to the leftover streaming strength of Flowers.

A new Mariah album /era will chart for 1 week in the US, but... with some luck and an extensive promo strategy she could get the odd 2-3 weeks in some other countries. She needs some momentum. The music industry is currently dominated by like 3-5 acts and that is unacceptable. Just look at the charts, it's mostly catalogue music which is raking in the dough for a lot of acts with their current albums being either off the charts or buried below.

Mariah needs a total 180° re-set moment... and SUD (I know some will roll their eyes at the mere thot of it) could be that moment.

Mariah has the ingredients, now she only needs to put them together.
            Flowers is huge. Miley has never been a big album artist anyway, but Flowers is big enough to keep her album on the (all but dead) BB200 for a while...

I agree, SUD is gonna grab lots of attention at the very least. It could be a catalyst for a nice reset. Streaming is a nearly insurmountable obstacle, short of her collab-ing with one of those six relevant artists you mention, and even then it's no guarantee unless the song is fire.

The Hot100 is mostly a god awful bore and the BB200 almost irrelevant, thanks to streaming. (Except at Christmas when MC benefits.)

Comment

• lambforever
              Legend
              • 08 Mar 2010

Originally posted by CasualFlow

It is. I'm listening to MIAM right now.
              I'll also give it a spin
              Proceed with Caution

Comment

• Kaloki
                Manager
                • 13 Feb 2013

Money - catchy af, should've been a closing single of the album

Meteorite - a complete snoozefest, only gets exciting for the last 20 seconds

Camouflage - Admittedly a tiny bit messy in places but this song used to hit me so hard. It's like FoJ meets Outside. And the "I-eye-IIII" run at 4.09 >>>>>>

MIAM is actually a great album, just really let down by a few complete dud tracks, and some questionable vocal/production editing.

Hopefully won't happen for 50 years, but I want Dedicated to become Mariah's Man in the Mirror when she passed away, an unknown album cut that becomes an iconic signature

Comment

• CasualFlow
                  Legend
                  • 14 Nov 2012

MJ's Cry is one of the best songs ever. Unfortunately, it was written by the troubled R. Kelly. But I separate the songwriter from the song bc I just love it too much.

Mariah's Cry is a mere 4/10... so, not a song I particularly like much (even tho Elusive is my #1 MC album ever).

R. Kelly is such a great songwriter, but a monster of a human being.
                  MJs Cry is objectively superior. So why have I listened to MCs Cry much more in the last ten years and find it to be a much more moving experience?

The two Crys perfectly illustrate the difference between these two legendary artists - in my meager opinion. My issue with MJ's Cry has more to do with him, than Kelly. The difference in the two songs/artists (and the answer to my question above) is that in Michael's anthemic Cry, his is a nearly perfect but unrevealing performance. But Mariah's admittedly imperfect Cry is better precisely for being so personal and exposed. It's visceral while MJ is never far from seeming artificial. I mean no harm...

After 50 years of listening to music, MJ is my favorite artist after the Bee Gees and Mariah. But for reasons I don't fully understand, and maybe only he'll ever know, Michael always seemed shrouded almost hidden, more performance than real. While Mariah's music, ironically, for all her divaish persona, can be and often is painfully vulnerable and transparent.

MJ and MC are both amazing writers, producers and singers, and both Crys illustrate that fact, but at the end of the day Mariah moves me in a way Michael never has, and I think that all comes down to authenticity. Mariah naturally reveals herself in a way Michael never seemed capable of or safe enough to. Poor Michael, I loved him and he broke my heart to the point that now I wonder if his lack of authenticity didn't stem from an uncertainty - or even self loathing - of who he was. Who knows...

Or maybe I'm just full of sh!t.

Comment

• CasualFlow
                    Legend
                    • 14 Nov 2012

Originally posted by Kaloki
                    Hopefully won't happen for 50 years, but I want Dedicated to become Mariah's Man in the Mirror when she passed away, an unknown album cut that becomes an iconic signature
                    Yes! I'm for this.

Comment

• Fredongcm
                      • 21 Dec 2022

it all depends on streaming and great great marketing campaign. Miley was such a flop before Flowers and her new album has been rejected by the GP as well... it will probably chart for 5-10 weeks and then that's it and it is only being alive right now due to the leftover streaming strength of Flowers.

A new Mariah album /era will chart for 1 week in the US, but... with some luck and an extensive promo strategy she could get the odd 2-3 weeks in some other countries. She needs some momentum. The music industry is currently dominated by like 3-5 acts and that is unacceptable. Just look at the charts, it's mostly catalogue music which is raking in the dough for a lot of acts with their current albums being either off the charts or buried below.

Mariah needs a total 180° re-set moment... and SUD (I know some will roll their eyes at the mere thot of it) could be that moment.

Mariah has the ingredients, now she only needs to put them together.
                      I agree! SUD will be the resurgence of Mariah Carey! She has to release SUD, embrace a darker/gothic/rock chick image and shock the GP. And she needs to dedicate herself to a whirlwind promo till Oct, b4 transiting to the Queen of Christmas.

Comment

• delapuerta
                        Superstar
                        • 04 Dec 2014

I love Cry. The way she sings "till we both breakdown" always gets me

Comment

• Cashiado
                          Personal Assistant
                          • 21 Aug 2012

Originally posted by CasualFlow

It's so interesting how songs hit us differently. For me, Cry and Camo are nearly identical in how they resonate with me. Neither are in my top tier ballads, but both are solid and enjoyable.

Camo is smoother and more guarded. Kind of like its title. But there is rawness about Cry that is disarming, almost uncomfortable, like I am witnessing something I shouldn't be. Each title is indicative of what you get.
                          I remember when MIAM came out and I started the album for the first time. When Cry started I was floored immediately. Just Mariah and that piano!

I also like Camouflage. They both sound like straight up old school R&B. I just wish Camouflage didn’t fade out in the ending. One of those songs where I feel it didn’t complete itself.
                          Last edited by Cashiado; Sun March 26, 2023, 10:42.
                          http://marcokircher.com
                          http://reverbnation.com/marcokircher/songs

My YT Channel!
                          https://www.youtube.com/user/Cashiado
                          IG: marco235

Comment

• Cashiado
                            Personal Assistant
                            • 21 Aug 2012

I also love TAOLG! I remember hearing it for the first time!
                            I love raw Mariah. I know some lambs think there’s too many lyrics or something, but I like how it’s very much like she’s conversing with us. I could see this song going viral on Tik Tok.
                            And this was a cute moment.

http://marcokircher.com
                            http://reverbnation.com/marcokircher/songs

My YT Channel!
                            https://www.youtube.com/user/Cashiado
                            IG: marco235

Comment

• lambforever
                              Legend
                              • 08 Mar 2010

Originally posted by delapuerta
                              I love Cry. The way she sings "till we both breakdown" always gets me
                              Agreed. Beautiful moment
                              Proceed with Caution

Comment

• wolfeagle
                                • 10 Jun 2020

I really respect all the lambs that like Cry and I appreciate that it came from a genuine place from Mariah. However, in Cry and Camouflage, there is something about the melodic choices that just don’t gel with me. Songs like Butterfly, Whenever You Call, Through the Rain, Can’t Take That Away, Thank God I Found You, Lead The Way all have this beautiful Mariah sound to me. Even Looking In, Outside, Angels Cry. But Cry and Camouflage just don’t really have that same sound to me.

Comment

• lambforever
                                  Legend
                                  • 08 Mar 2010

Originally posted by Cashiado
                                  I also love TAOLG! I remember hearing it for the first time!
                                  I love raw Mariah. I know some lambs think there’s too many lyrics or something, but I like how it’s very much like she’s conversing with us. I could see this song going viral on Tik Tok.
                                  And this was a cute moment.
                                  I loved TAOLG and a bit wordy but so Mariah. This performance was truly A good one
                                  Proceed with Caution

Comment

• DOSSOME
                                    Legend
                                    • 20 May 2013

Unpopular opinion: INFINITY is a jam...

Comment

• lambforever
                                      Legend
                                      • 08 Mar 2010

The lyrics to Infinity has always been top tier to me.

I love that song
                                      Proceed with Caution

Comment

• lambforever
                                        Legend
                                        • 08 Mar 2010

GOAT doing Goat things

Proceed with Caution

Comment

• TheRealest
                                          Legend
                                          • 09 Dec 2009

Originally posted by DOSSOME
                                          Unpopular opinion: INFINITY is a jam...
                                          I just hate how they thought they could repackage #1s with this… like wtf

Comment

Working...