X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WaitYourTurn
    replied
    Originally posted by ToddSmith View Post
    Her rendition of Goin' Up Yonder in Chapter 37 (Alfred Roys funeral) is just beyond amazing!
    I was blown away!

Leave a comment:

• SpyVsSpy
    replied
    Originally posted by InfoFromAus View Post
    Mesmerized is so surprising!
    I got the sound she was going for straight away but the more I listened, the more I was... (hate to say it) transported to those TV shows and movies from the 70s that we've seen. It just sounded so authentic, like I wouldn't be surprised if someone told me it was recorded in the 70s.

Love the 'just say' part. So good.
    I can imagine a scene where she sings in a bar and walks among the audience and teasing them as she sings (for a video)

Leave a comment:

• Strat
    replied
    Cool on You is Kick Rocks! This whole album is fire. Skydiving would have been the cherry.

Leave a comment:

• SmartIsNewSexy
    replied
    Mariah will most likely debut #2 behind Blackpink

Album: The Rarities
    iTunes:
    #2 United States
    #2 Bulgaria
    #2 Colombia
    #2 Hong Kong
    #2 Indonesia
    #2 Israel
    #2 Malaysia
    #2 Philippines
    #2 Singapore
    #2 Spain
    #2 Thailand
    #2 United Arab Emirates
    #2 Vietnam
    #3 Bahrain
    #3 Chile
    #3 Denmark
    #3 Greece
    #3 Hungary
    #3 New Zealand
    #4 Brazil
    #4 Canada
    #4 Macau
    #4 Mexico
    #4 Netherlands
    #4 Sweden
    #5 United Kingdom
    #5 Australia
    #5 France
    #5 Ireland
    #5 South Africa
    #6 Italy
    #6 Jordan
    #6 Turkey
    #7 Belgium
    #7 Norway
    #9 Germany
    #10 Cambodia
    #13 Switzerland
    #14 Qatar
    #15 Lebanon
    #16 Russia
    #18 Austria
    #28 Brunei Darussalam
    #47 Lithuania
    #104 The Bahamas
    #122 Romania
    #135 Ecuador
    #143 Panama
    #163 Slovakia

Apple Music:
    #3 Philippines
    #4 Vietnam
    #6 Qatar
    #7 Malaysia
    #8 Indonesia
    #8 Singapore
    #9 Fiji
    #11 Thailand
    #13 Armenia
    #14 Macau
    #15 Brazil
    #15 Hong Kong
    #19 Lebanon
    #21 Bahrain
    #23 Spain
    #27 New Zealand
    #28 Cambodia
    #29 Australia
    #31 Netherlands
    #32 Greece
    #36 Ireland
    #39 Costa Rica
    #41 Honduras
    #45 Jordan
    #49 Peru
    #50 United Kingdom
    #58 Panama
    #65 Israel
    #69 Oman
    #78 Sweden
    #79 Barbados
    #82 Nicaragua
    #84 Portugal
    #85 Denmark
    #94 United Arab Emirates
    #99 Belize
    #102 Dominican Republic
    #104 Mexico
    #106 Estonia
    #107 Azerbaijan
    #118 Finland
    #119 Poland
    #123 Italy
    #132 Namibia
    #135 Guatemala
    #143 Turkey
    #144 United States
    #174 South Africa
    #176 Sri Lanka
    #177 Chile
    #200 France
    #248 Belgium
    #301 Germany
    #312 Switzerland

Leave a comment:

• SpyVsSpy
    replied
    I wonder how tommy treats thalia. I don’t imagine someone like that can change overnight.

Leave a comment:

• SmartIsNewSexy
    replied
    Originally posted by mariahguru View Post
    I could imagine Mariah doing a 70s Charlie’s Angels/Foxy Brown style video for Mesmerized. It’s so catchy.
    Love that idea!

Leave a comment:

• ToddSmith
    replied
    Her rendition of Goin' Up Yonder in Chapter 37 (Alfred Roys funeral) is just beyond amazing!

Leave a comment:

• NorthernMonkey
    replied
    The base on All I Live For is just sublime.

Those punchy beats of the first 3 beats of the 4 each bar are amazing. I can’t believe it didn’t make Music Box

Leave a comment:

• WaitYourTurn
    replied
    Originally posted by bm08 View Post
    There's more to come

The remixes for the rest of the eras?

Leave a comment:

• bm08
    replied
    There's more to come

Leave a comment:

• WaitYourTurn
    replied
    Originally posted by chanteuse View Post
    Half way through the book and i have to say it's looks like Tommy didn't really love Mariah more the idea of everyone seeing him with the beautiful young talent, on the honeymoon he was more worried about his image and when they were seperating he wantend to be pictured publicly with mariah and then she could go and meet her friends, no doubt he was obsessed but not in love.
    I think it was about his ego... he wanted to be pictured with her, knowing that if she was pictured with any men later that night the public perception would be she’s a cheater and he would easily be able to spin that narrative

Leave a comment:

• chanteuse
    replied
    Half way through the book and i have to say it's looks like Tommy didn't really love Mariah more the idea of everyone seeing him with the beautiful young talent, on the honeymoon he was more worried about his image and when they were seperating he wantend to be pictured publicly with mariah and then she could go and meet her friends, no doubt he was obsessed but not in love.

Leave a comment:

• WaitYourTurn
    replied
    Originally posted by SpyVsSpy View Post

Why is it strange? We all have our journeys. That part of her journey was painful but it shielded her from worse things that could have happened at that stage of her life. And she came out of it better equipped to face whatever that comes up next. She kinda acknowledged that. I’m not saying Tommy is a saint that she needs to worship.
    I get the sentiment, I just don’t think abuse can ever in any context be considered “a true blessing”.

Leave a comment:

• sts
    replied
    Yeah I'm also really surprised by Mesmerized! It's so smooth and chill. Love it!

I'm just thrilled with the album in general. Plus Just Be Good To Me is one of my fav songs, so to have Mariah's version available on streaming alone is worth it for me!

Leave a comment:

• InfoFromAus
    replied
    Mesmerized is so surprising!
    I got the sound she was going for straight away but the more I listened, the more I was... (hate to say it) transported to those TV shows and movies from the 70s that we've seen. It just sounded so authentic, like I wouldn't be surprised if someone told me it was recorded in the 70s.

Love the 'just say' part. So good.

Leave a comment:

• Eamon
    replied
    Where to start... this album is magical for us fans. It's full of nostalgia and sentimentality. It transports me back to when I was just becoming a fan and exploring all of her older albums from the start. I ADORE Here We Go Around Again so much. It's that 80's uptempo that I never wanted but now I CANNOT get enough of. Her vocals are sublime. Its so fun, happy, carefree. The background vocals are so catchy and singalong moments. I wish it was included on her debut and got the full single treatment. It's has given me so much joy already.

Can You Hear Me has a sublime vocal. I love that it wasn't actually for Emotions and rather just a song written for Streisand because it is actually quite different for Mariah. It's far more AC than her actually AC ballads from that time. I also love that the version released is the demo/working track. But the sparse production really adds to the intensity of the song. It's really atmospheric and moving.

Obviously we know DYTOM and EFA. Both have always been favourites of mine. Luckily I was a lamb from Ireland so EFA was always on my Music Box CD but I love having DYTOM in CD quality now and easily accessible. The tracklist is so well sequenced. CYHM, DYTOM and EFA are so evocative and full of intense emotion.

All I Live For wasn't one I was overly bothered about because I am not a fan of the uptempos on Music Box but this song SHOULD have been one of the uptempos on Music Box. It's so smooth and quintessentially 90's. I love that she has a huskiness to how she sings the verses like how she sounded on the Music Box tour. But when she goes into her full chest voice, she is pure Music Box riah. And I love that moment from 3.02 - 3.15.

ONE NIGHT. Where to begin. I knew this would be one of my favourites from when I first heard the snippet. My first listen yesterday was kind of underwhelming but once I got used to it, MY GOD, I am so in love. It's that 90's R&B I love. That intro is one of her most stunning intros in her career and could have been a song in its own right. I love the layering. The full voice over the layered lower register singing. Just adds such a richness and then to have the background singers on the chorus, just brings this song a whole lot of life. I adore the lyrics too. LOVE.

Slipping Away. Always been a favourite so to finally have it on streaming is fantastic.

OHOMO. We've had it for two weeks now but it remains one of her most emotive vocals of her career. I'm so glad it finally got a release and it's connection with the book is lovely.

Loverboy. I'm glad we've finally heard the original. It hasn't been as instant for me as it has for others as I love the Candy sample. But I love the vocals particularly the "doo doo doos" at the start and how clear she sounds. The song is actually really different than what I expected. It will grow on me.

I Pray. This is all the schmaltz with TEOM vocals which I love. It's a real throwback to 2005-2006 especially knowing this version existed but we just hadn't heard it. It's lovely and will fit in perfectly with her other gospel leaning songs.

Cool On You. MY BOP. I am the biggest hater of E=MC2 but this song is so good. Yes the production is a bit redundant but I LIVE for the lyrics and her delivery. It should have made the album. It reminds of some of the pepsi ringtones in places but it's just SOOOOO good. I love it. I feel 16-18 listening to this.

Mesmerized. WOW. I never expected this to be a smooth, groovy disco song in this vein. It's so melodic and catchy. The production is so lush and she has displayed those lovely 2012, post pregnancy vocals that I love so much. Those whistles at the end are great. Such a fresh and timeless song.

Lullaby of Birdland. I haven't listen to this too much simply because it's a live performance. I loved her 2012 performance of the song at the Carlyle in NYC. This isn't as good for me but I love the scatting and I'm glad she included it on the album as it is a song that she loves.

STD. I love STD. I don't care about all the hate.

Close Me Eyes. Love the connection to the book but I think I'll stick to the album version.

Overall I am SO ELATED at this release. It's a fan's dream and it has been so worth the wait.

Leave a comment:

• bm08
    replied
    The album is amazing! What a great streak she is on. This year has been great for her.

Leave a comment:

• mariahguru
    replied
    I could imagine Mariah doing a 70s Charlie’s Angels/Foxy Brown style video for Mesmerized. It’s so catchy.

Leave a comment:

• allygdale
    replied
    I want Someone’s Ugly Daughter with her vocals first lol

If Tommy had let her do movies I could see her having an Empire Records moment
    Last edited by allygdale; Fri October 2, 2020, 09:32.

Leave a comment:

• SpyVsSpy
    replied
    I say it’s time she releases an acid jazz influenced album

Leave a comment:

• allygdale
    replied
    Yes I live for Mesmerized, it still gives me Ms. Ross’s album The Boss (Diana Ross)

I would also playlist it with Meteorite (QTip version), YDKWTD, When I Feel It, There Goes My Heart, Subtle Invitation (Live)
    Last edited by allygdale; Fri October 2, 2020, 08:57.

Leave a comment:

• SpyVsSpy
    replied
    “Touching you in dreams of blue
    In a mesmerizing interlude
    Half asleep, semi conscious
    But I know this feeling ain't gon' pass“

Honestly these are some of her best lyrics ever.
    They flow so well with the melody.

Leave a comment:

• Kaloki
    replied
    First day ratings always change, but here goes...

HWGAA - 4 - very Jackson 5ish which is great, but it feels a bit sparse to me and I don't like it as much as I expected. Bar a few songs I'm not a big fan of debut Mariah though, don't think they have aged well

Can You Hear Me - 3 - I think this is a bit different for Mariah. Nice enough, but not sure it really goes anywhere so can why didn't make the Emotions album

(At this point I was worrying I the album would be a disappointment)

Do You Think of Me - 10 - one the best songs Mariah has ever recorded. It's criminal it wasn't properly released.

EFA - 10 - just epic

All I Live For - 10 - OH MY DAYS I LOVE IT!!! It almost sounds like she has a cold, but I am all here for it!!! The vocals in the chorus with that bass, and then backing vocals in the chorus!!! Wish the ending was longer though, sounds unfinished

One Night - 10 - the intro, the layered vocals in the verses, the chorus, the godly lyrics warning against the sin of a one night stand haha! Half of Daydream is redundant so another music crime this was cut!

Slipping Away - doesn't need a rating. Forever in my top 5 Mariah songs of all time.

OHOMO - 7 - amazing vocal but not quite my thing, definitely an album track for me

Loverboy - 8 - A BANGER. Less camp/sickly sweet, but a bit messy. At the same time, the chorus is amazing and vocals far better than the original!!

I Pray - 5 - the production and organic feel is very TEOM which is great, but the lyrics are just a too cringe for me. It's Bye Bye levels of cheese haha

Cool on You - HOLD THE F****** BUS!! Why didn't this make an album?!?! RELEASE THIS AS A SINGLE NOW. IMMEDIATELY. I need live performances and J Cole feature by the end of the weekend! (How does she flip from talking to falsetto whisper at the end so easy?!)

Mesmerized - 10 - What. A. Tune! Mariah needs a whole album in this vibe!

LOBL - 7 - interesting and raw vocal, but probably only listen to this when listening to the whole album.

STD - 0 - listened to this about 6 times and never want to hear it again. Deleted.

CME - not sure this was needed, will stick to that original

Honestly I'm buzzing! Some of these songs from the vault are incredible! What a great album. I like that there are a few different styles on here as well so something for everyone. A few duds from my perspective, but there's 7 or 8 phenomenal tracks on this album

Not to be too negative, but as much as I'm buzzing, I'm also so goddamn pissed that STD got put on this album let alone released as a single. The whole "it was for charity/the social moment" argument doesn't hold water either. Absolutely one of the worst songs Mariah has ever done and it got released in place of any other song this album?! But moving on....

Great album. Not finished reading the book but it seems to give even more meaning to this album, especially all the mid 90s rnb tracks that Sony stopped her from releasing.

An album of rejects being better than some people's entire music discography? Mariah Carey, you're a legend.

Leave a comment:

• Varun84
    replied
    The TREVOR NOAH interview is so great. Such a sensitive and thoughtful conversation!

Leave a comment:

• SmartIsNewSexy
    replied
    Originally posted by automaticprincess View Post

love you SINS, but I think it’s about time we stop using Linas dead name <3
    Sorry my bad

that was really nice of Mariah to acknowledge her

Leave a comment:

Working...
X