No announcement yet.

Mariah Carey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spoke to the fellow backup singer in ET's throwback. She talked about the event the Brenda K Starr clip is from, which was Summer Jam in Mountain View, CA in July 1988, five months before she met Tommy Mottola in Dec 1988.

"Mariah was amazing. She would sing little snippets and the audience would go insane. Jaw-dropping. And hilarious. She is and always has been a hit factory. Just such a knack for melodies and fearless focus. Amazing.

Yes Summer Jam was a big one. Jeffrey Osborn asked the audience to sing and we all pushed Mariah to the mic and she floored everyone. That was fun. So many artists were there."
    Last edited by MsWeiss; Thu April 2, 2020, 06:38.

Comment

• Originally posted by DOSSOME View Post

Damn...Fashionwise,Caution Era>>>>>
      Sis really came back in every way

Comment

• A swedish journalist quoted Mariah saying "Music is not sad, it's a butterfly afraid of the world."

but I've never come across her saying that. Is it true?
        https://soundcloud.com/hephaestusdog

Comment

• Was watching the instagram live battle last night between Manefresh and Scott Storch and again our girl was played. This time U Make Me Wanna with Jadakiss.

Her presence in Hip Hop and urban culture is so undeniable!
          See latest news on Reports, Infractions & Bans
          See Mariah Carey's Memoir thread

Comment

• Due to the absolute worst kind of person on eBay bidding, winning but not paying for the below item, it is currently relisted for sale if anyone is interested. The rest have all now sold and been shipped.

2016 Sweet Sweet Fantasy Tour VIP Gold Charm-bracelet
            https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223964843226

*Shipping is available worldwide*

Hope everyone is staying safe in these uncertain times

Comment

• The Caution era was everything I wanted and needed as a fan (personal opinion ;)). I slowly but surely lost my connection with her during the (pre-)MIAMTEC era and especially after. She restored my faith in her by showing she is an artist first and foremost. She gave us solid songwriting and an album that feels conceptually cohesive, and works from start to finish. A solid R&B album basically. I don't think she needed to do more promo per se, at her stage of her career you have to wonder if it is still worth investing in. She would never have reached high sales and since her first singles did not stick, none of them would have. Of course the latter can be discussed. I just wished she would have received a grammy for it, not that I care so much but (critical) recognition is the one thing she can still receive plus winning is also a good sales boost. I'm surprised the album was so overlooked, not only by the grammy's but also by other institutions. This was her era of redemption after some rocky years, and she has been super consistent lately. She still has something in store for us and I cannot wait.
              Eudaimonia
              Last.fm
              Instagram

Comment

• Originally posted by MsWeiss View Post
                Spoke to the fellow backup singer in ET's throwback. She talked about the event the Brenda K Starr clip is from, which was Summer Jam in Mountain View, CA in July 1988, five months before she met Tommy Mottola in Dec 1988.

Thanks for doing this! What is the lady’s name? Is she still singing?

Comment

• Since the IG tags aren't working, here's a video of a woman singing ATYNAF. The ensemble was rippeds straight from Daydream Rotterdam concert: https://www.instagram.com/p/B-dk9qPp...=17a2h4wlhqycg
                  Last edited by banksy; Thu April 2, 2020, 20:48.

Comment

• Originally posted by banksy View Post

Thanks for doing this! What is the lady’s name? Is she still singing?
                    I heard she used to be popular when I was still swimming in my dad’s ballsack

Comment

• Originally posted by mm2912 View Post

I heard she used to be popular when I was still swimming in my dad’s ballsack
                      bm08, hopefully this is the thing that gets this user banned from our forum, yes?

Comment

• banksy she asked me to not to reveal her name to keep her low-key, but lambs would recognize her name. She was actually in Mariah's wedding to TM as one of her bridesmaids, but they lost touch not long after that.

Comment

bm08, hopefully this is the thing that gets this user banned from our forum, yes?
                          Lots of love to you too my dear. Stay safe and wear mask

Comment

• Originally posted by Michiel View Post
                            The Caution era was everything I wanted and needed as a fan (personal opinion ;)). I slowly but surely lost my connection with her during the (pre-)MIAMTEC era and especially after. She restored my faith in her by showing she is an artist first and foremost. She gave us solid songwriting and an album that feels conceptually cohesive, and works from start to finish. A solid R&B album basically.
                            Indeed. Those couple of years were not Mariah's favorites either, I'm sure. And I'm sure she's proud of Caution as much as we are.

Comment

• Brighton Pride has been cancelled

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1835...e-coronavirus/

Comment

• Originally posted by bm08 View Post
                                I wonder if she’ll only focus now on the book at the end of the year and a single maybe to promote with the book tour (since she posted this week she was recording a new song). Let’s hope til September things goes back to normal otherwise I don’t see her releasing the book this year cause November/Dec it’s Xmas only

Comment

• Interesting. At 14:44 Brandy recalls when Whitney said Brandy's duet with Monica was a partial inspiration that led to Whitney agreeing to duet with Mariah on WYB.

Comment

• Originally posted by mm2912 View Post

I wonder if she’ll only focus now on the book at the end of the year and a single maybe to promote with the book tour (since she posted this week she was recording a new song). Let’s hope til September things goes back to normal otherwise I don’t see her releasing the book this year cause November/Dec it’s Xmas only
                                    Yeah I wonder how they are recalculating things given what is going on.

I could very well still see the book coming out in Christmas time and promoting in 2021.

But there is so much uncertainty. It is difficult to execute plans given that things are changing every day.

Comment

• https://soundcloud.com/hephaestusdog

Comment

• Originally posted by AlmondBreeze View Post
                                        Interesting. At 14:44 Brandy recalls when Whitney said Brandy's duet with Monica was a partial inspiration that led to Whitney agreeing to duet with Mariah on WYB.

Babyface and Jeffrey Katzenberg brought them together. Babyface personally talked to each of them about it extensively before either agreed. Whitney and Mariah said seeing the movie was what made them want to do the song.

Brandy has had mental health issues for years now. I wthaould take anything she says with a grain of salt.

Comment

• BILLBOARD THE GREATEST POP STAR BY YEAR (1981-2019)

https://www.billboard.com/articles/n...IhygMIddn6JiIs

MARIAH CAREY

“I want to be around for a while," Mariah Carey told the New York Times in September, 1991, two days before the release of her second album, Emotions. She was 21 years old, a self-described studio rat and workaholic -- the playful diva character she cultivated and inhabits so well was still waiting in the wings. (The bit where she says she won’t tour because “I need a lot of sleep” tips her hand a little, maybe.) She wasn’t being tongue-in-cheek about sticking around, and you, the reader, were meant to wonder if she’d manage where others so often fail.

Dig if you will a time when Mariah’s star power was far from assured, when practically a year’s worth of coverage from the Times pondered and doubted. Could she skirt sophomore slump and match the staggering success of her self-titled debut, which had earned her a best new artist Grammy that February and pushed the album -- by then eight months old -- to No. 1 on the Billboard 200, where it luxuriated for 11 straight weeks? What was the label doing differently this time around? Was Tommy Mottola, then the president of Sony Music and her rumored boyfriend, too reckless and hung up on clout?

The dramatic irony is delicious. Bucking record biz wisdom by releasing her second album less than 18 months after her debut, Emotions put Carey in the record books and asserted her desire for creative control. (Carey is credited as a co-producer and co-writer on every song.) Though it sold less than her self-titled, Emotions made Carey the first and only act to have their first five singles reach No. 1 on the Hot 100, when the C+C Music Factory-assisted “Emotions” -- her first major foray into club music, a space where she excelled in the ‘90s -- topped the chart on October 12.

And between the release cycles for Mariah Carey and Emotions, there was never a moment when Carey wasn’t on your radar -- in clubs, on the radio, in your Walkman, on your television, on the covers of magazines like New York and Jet. “I Don’t Wanna Cry,” the tear-jerker fourth single from the self-titled LP, topped the Hot 100 in March, just a month after her Grammys debut, where she left the crowd and viewers at home stunned by a powerful rendition of “Vision of Love.” She owned the year, with her softly curled hair and whistle-register vocal punches, on display in the first-ever live televised performance of “Emotions,” at the MTV Video Music Awards in early September.

In 1991, the Times published a letter from a smug, incredulous reader who had a hard time believing that Carey possessed a five-octave range, as the Gray Lady had described. Well Linda Lister, of Poughkeepsie, here’s Mariah’s performance of her classic deep cut “If It’s Over,” from the next year’s Grammys. Eat your heart out.

COMEBACK OF THE YEAR: MARIAH CAREY

There was much chatter following the commercial disappointment of 2001’s Glitter and 2003’s Charmbracelet that perhaps the best-selling recording artist of the ‘90s had already seen her best days commercially. But Mariah Carey reclaimed pop’s upper reaches with 2005’s immaculate The Emancipation of Mimi album, and three top five hits -- the biggest of which, the tear-soaked megaballad “We Belong Together,” reigned at No. 1 for 14 weeks, topping Billboard’s year-end Hot 100. The craft in the songwriting and production was impossibly perfect, reaffirming Mariah as the defining pop diva of her generation.
                                          Last edited by MeIAmXino; Fri April 3, 2020, 17:44.
                                          https://soundcloud.com/mofei-1/gtfo-...sion-demo-live
                                          How Abt you ( #GTFO) -my new demo

Comment

• 1991 seems like an odd and random year to bestow such an honour. One could easily point to 1995-1996 or even 2005-2006 as years where the bidding would fit well.

Nonetheless, it is great she is recognised for being such a force early in her career.

Comment

• Originally posted by bm08 View Post
                                              1991 seems like an odd and random year to bestow such an honour. One could easily point to 1995-1996 or even 2005-2006 as years where the bidding would fit well.

Nonetheless, it is great she is recognised for being such a force early in her career.
                                              Not that odd. She was everywhere that year and everyone was amazed by her. She had three #1 hits in 1991: Someday, I Don't Wanna Cry, Emotions... She had two albums high on the charts. It was hard for anyone to have more success than Mariah that year.
                                              My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• Was just looking at the wikipedia page of Anytime You Need A Friend:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anytime_You_Need_a_Friend

Could someone update it? There is no mention at all of the first video that was filmed for this song. (with the angels)
                                                My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• The stage production. Omg

Comment

• She looks so beautiful and so lost lol

Comment

• mashup. heartbreaker / britney spears
                                                      https://soundcloud.com/hephaestusdog

Comment

• Comment

Since the IG tags aren't working, here's a video of a woman singing ATYNAF. The ensemble was rippeds straight from Daydream Rotterdam concert: https://www.instagram.com/p/B-dk9qPp...=17a2h4wlhqycg
                                                          W T F is this?????????????????????????????????????

this is SOOOOOO Whackkkkkk....

they couldn't pay me to do anything like this...ever....poor deluded

all these chicks singing....MC...along with MoiSelf of course...we're just trying to figure how the Heck the Queen does all of that...and of course...like any Human...wanna be "heard" for somehow making the "grade" any "MC" grade..that is

back in the day....the "Producer" said I had to nail a handfull of "covers" to be able to "righteously" do my runs on my originals...and therein...coupled with my horrific jaw injury and the fact I had to re do my "EAR" ie. how I "approached" voice...began....ONLY MC...and the DESIRE to emulate...cured/helped me

I hope I can help others someday...but Mariah sET THE standard for DECADES...any chick that would put herself out there on public display to be "Glorified" ie. a full blown Concert setting is W H A C K

when I start DJ'ing again...and when My originals get back to live presentation, I sure's to F am gonna throw in a MC here and there...but It aint gonna be a tribute plastification "
                                                          concert" ...it'll be a one off thrown in a mix

I said it before,,,the EAR ...naturally COMPARES...and anything else just comes up short...but people do like hearing you live ...trying to make the grade...hahahah
                                                          https://soundcloud.com/musicdevas/3lillith-winds SkwirmedHalei

Comment

• Originally posted by MayoAndMustard View Post
                                                            The stage production. Omg

WOW!! when was this!!?? convinced those heels help them Insanity notes...totally convinced!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Lafa View Post

mashup. heartbreaker / britney spears
                                                              this is one of the BEST/.//////EVER!!!! I feel like I just flew threw the '90's and saw the Patriarchal Take Down-Black Empowerment Movements defining line steppin moment(s)! Touche!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                                              X