Mariah Carey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by allygdale View Post
    What a unique period for her voice 2001 was, we never got this voice on CD, it is similar to but lighter than CB tour voice

Yeah, that era for me is one of her vocal peaks ever. She was able to tap into her whispery tone and chest voice effortlessly. Too bad no Glitter tour ever happened.

Comment

• Even if completely dubbed (lmfao @ the 90s vocals being used), im completely CRAZY about that mash-up!

Historically, the transitions on her mashups/medleys have never been quite lazy, but as of late its starting to change. This was such an unexpected choice and they really made it work. It def needs to be incorporated on her setlist for the Vegas show.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlmondBreeze View Post

But it is true. I grew up watching all her 90's Home VHSs and marvelled at how all her live vocals were perfect up to every inflection, and her mic control was so amazing that all her whispers/whistles were at the same volume level as her belts...So it is her/Sony's fault that I use that impossible standard to measure all future performances, because that was the "original Mariah" standard I grew up with, however impossible in reality.
        I just think that this "dubbing" issue is oversimplified and overrated, simply because ALL professional footage made for TV or DVD go through some post-production to achieve the best possible outcome, sound and visuals-wise. All artists do it because concerts are never perfect... it could simply be a bad day for the singer, or the live music isn't okay, or the crowd/environment is noisy, and so on and so forth. So yes, it's fairly normal that the sound is "cleaned" by removing the noise, adding reverb, apply compression and equalization (which explains the leveling of volume or why mic control is amazing) or whatnot... which are pretty standard for any audio post-production. What people forget is that post-production techniques can only do so much. Botched notes, or bad vocal moments cannot be "cleaned" per se with these usual post-production audio techniques. Hence, they resort to what is called "Comping", or the process where you use the best parts of multiple takes and piecing them together to make one perfect take. So, bad moments in a concert (missed notes or whatnots) are replaced by good moments taken from a different venue or are simply re-recorded in a studio where one's voice is rested and controlled. In the case of MSG DVD, some vocal moments were taken from other venues in her Daydream tour. The point is, at the end of the day, it's still Mariah's voice. Like I said, ALL, and I mean ALL (Beyonce, Celine, David Foster, etc.) concerts made for TV or DVD go through post-production to make that perfect sound and visuals for consumption at home.

If I may add, people tend to imply that dubbing or post-production is magic. It isn't. It can only do so much. Because if dubbing is really that great, Mariah could have used this so-called "dubbing" to magically remove the chipmunk quality in her voice nowadays. Nope, dubbing can't do that.

And if you really are keen on looking at the impossible standard without the "dubbing", don't look further than her live performances at the start of her career. (SNL, NBA, Oprah, etc.). Or just stick to the live raw undubbed footages of MSG concert. =)

Comment

• I just wanted to say, I love "Through the rain". It's underrated amongst the lambs. Such a beautiful melody, sweet vocals and yes...the lyrics may be cheesy inspirational, but at least they're true and I'm sure she meant every word of it.

"Lift up your head
          Lift up your heart..."

https://soundcloud.com/jaspervanbeve...orest-of-glass

Comment

• SmartIsNewSexy
            SmartIsNewSexy commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm so glad TTR finally got the spotlight.

It's one of those overlooked, underrated gems that gets lost amongst Mariah's Gazillion hits.

• I love TTR <3

Comment

• Liron uploaded this, she singing Stevie ❤

Comment

• allygdale
              allygdale commented
              Editing a comment
              God this is everything, I envision her in the “Just Be Good To Me” ensemble

• allygdale
              allygdale commented
              Editing a comment
              God this is everything, I envision her in the “Just Be Good To Me” ensemble

• Sad the song Stevie said he wrote for her mother to record with Mariah never saw the light of the day

Comment

• SmartIsNewSexy
              SmartIsNewSexy commented
              Editing a comment
              ????
              I dont remember this.

Do you have more information?
              What year was this?

• Shaka
              Shaka commented
              Editing a comment
              It's in the article from '08 I've posted. There's no more info sadly.

• A very bass heavy melodic interpolation with minimal else going on of Stevie’s “I Love You Too Much” by Mariah would be so hot, the perfect sample

I could hear Megan Thee Stallion on it
            Last edited by allygdale; Wed May 13th, 2020, 18:39.
            #CAUTION

Comment

• I shared Through The Rain/Make It Happen on my Facebook and it's getting likes from non-fans.
              My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• Originally posted by delapuerta View Post
                Liron uploaded this, she singing Stevie ❤

LOVE IT!

Can we please get a REAL collaboration!
                NOT some harmonica cameo on Make it look good

Comment

• I am obsessed with this clip because it makes “I Am Free” sound like Purple Rain by Prince,

God can you imagine something like this arrangement of it, just electric guitars but with all the vocals, in the 90s on Daydream as a last single, with a slightly risqué Diane Martel video?

Last edited by allygdale; Wed May 13th, 2020, 20:01.
                  #CAUTION

Comment

• I cannot tell y’all how obsessed I am with that clip of her singing “I Love You Too Much” by Stevie

Can you imagine it replayed so it’s just like a disco bass and a beat like Make It Happen but Mariah’s doing full voice for the leads

The melody and bass are soo Mariah!

Last edited by allygdale; Wed May 13th, 2020, 22:54.
                    #CAUTION

Comment

• Double post sorry
                      #CAUTION

Comment

I cannot tell y’all how obsessed I am with that clip of her singing “I Love You Too Much” by Stevie

Can you imagine it replayed so it’s just like a disco bass and a beat like Make It Happen but Mariah’s doing full voice for the leads

The melody and bass are soo Mariah!

How u describe it I could totally hear it in Mariah’s voice. I miss her covers on her albums. OMT is a beautiful ballad but the chipmunk vocals ruined it even tho the emotions were there

Comment

• Such a great reaction.

Love the fact that he mentioned all the technicalities.

Comment

• VISION OF LOVE is THAT BITCH.

And the fact that was her debut single >>>

Comment

• Why did she delete the video on IG if her singing You & I??

Comment

• Love this Dreamlover performance, it's so fun and care-free.

She was having fun and I looooove the end!

Comment

• Emotions (Live from Tokyo) Second Night

The second whistle at 2:00 was even better than the first night (which was the one released on DVD). THE AGILITY!

---

Mariah Carey - Emotions (Live from Frankfurt)

This is the best Emotions performance from the DD Era along with Rotterdam.
                                  Her voice sounded fuller than the rest of the dates (in London she sounded so freaking light and in Paris a lil tired but her whistles were the best on there).

Comment

• Another reactors I really appreciate

Comment

• Last week’s #tbt was giving me mid-90s so I took it there

She should never cut bangs again but since she wears wigs sometimes now one like ATYNAF would look good, the UOMF wig with bangs was hot too

​​​​​​
                                      Last edited by allygdale; Thu May 14th, 2020, 04:40.
                                      #CAUTION

Comment

• Does Liron live with Mariah? She appears to be with her in quarantine. I know she’s on the payroll, but what exactly is her role now?

Comment

• Originally posted by Binky View Post
                                          Does Liron live with Mariah? She appears to be with her in quarantine. I know she’s on the payroll, but what exactly is her role now?
                                          It sounded like a phone recording to me tbh
                                          See latest news on Reports, Infractions & Bans
                                          See Mariah Carey's Memoir thread

Comment

• Originally posted by bm08 View Post

It sounded like a phone recording to me tbh
                                            As far as I know, Liron helps her but she doesn't work for her anymore

Comment

I am obsessed with this clip because it makes “I Am Free” sound like Purple Rain by Prince,

God can you imagine something like this arrangement of it, just electric guitars but with all the vocals, in the 90s on Daydream as a last single, with a slightly risqué Diane Martel video?

She’s such a genius

Comment

• Cant believe tomorrow is VOL's 30th anniversary!!

I hope they mark it in some special way.

Comment

• She could release the original Vision of Love video.

Comment

• Haven’t been here in a long time. Came to relish in the joy of her TTR MIH Performance.

and um. Y’all are talking about dubbing and all this ridiculous nonsense over her voice.

I would ask what the F is wrong with you all but I should be asking wtf is wrong with me for coming back here.

y’all are really a nightmare.

And to the sane ones who recognize what a great soulful and joyful performance this was - keep fighting the good fight here. You’re a better man than I.

Comment

• Originally posted by bm08 View Post
                                                      Cant believe tomorrow is VOL's 30th anniversary!!

I hope they mark it in some special way.
                                                      I would be lying if I said I was a fan since, I was too young to remember, but it wasn’t too long after!

VOL 30, would have slayed to have a professional Charmbracelet Tour performance of it up on YouTube if there is one

Would slay to hear the demo too!

I want the whole first album remixed so bad, just new production
                                                      Last edited by allygdale; Thu May 14th, 2020, 11:33.
                                                      #CAUTION

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                                                        Love this Dreamlover performance, it's so fun and care-free.

She was having fun and I looooove the end!
                                                        Oh man that was nice.
                                                        Good vocals, her voice sounded strong and such a confident performance.
                                                        And I've always like her hair like that... very cute.

MESMARIAHSING!

Comment

Working...
                                                        X