Mariah Carey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TheRealest View Post
    I hope the 30th anniversary of the album will get more attention on social media... because that wasn’t enough for me.

Comment

• god bless her

Comment

• The Circles/Underneath the Stars mash-up was very nice. Circles was very dominating in that mix, I loved it.
        #mariahcarey #lambforlife

Comment

• I feel the commentary was a bit harsh in places...
          loved that Emotions was so high - to me It's so different from the rest of the albums (in a good way). also loved seeing Caution right in the middle and of course Butterfly at #1 - truly deserving.

Comment

• Mariah is brewing something whilst in lockdown.....

Comment

• I wish Memoirs was higher, but apart from that don't disagree too much with this tbh.

Music Box definitely isn't for me so not too surprised at its ranking.... If the original Dreamlover, soul convention remix of ATYNAF and DYTOF had been on the album it would have been great.

Daydream is let down so badly by Open Arms, IAF, and WISY (25% of the album) so surprised it's so high.

I do think 2000s Mariah has been a bit "paint the album by numbers" apart from Caution, with a few other stand out moments. At the same time though, every single Ed Sheeran album is a carbon copy or his first so don't think Mariah is alone in that respect by any means so a bit harsh there

Comment

• Originally posted by Kaloki View Post

I wish Memoirs was higher, but apart from that don't disagree too much with this tbh.

Music Box definitely isn't for me so not too surprised at its ranking.... If the original Dreamlover, soul convention remix of ATYNAF and DYTOF had been on the album it would have been great.

Daydream is let down so badly by Open Arms, IAF, and WISY (25% of the album) so surprised it's so high.

I do think 2000s Mariah has been a bit "paint the album by numbers" apart from Caution, with a few other stand out moments. At the same time though, every single Ed Sheeran album is a carbon copy or his first so don't think Mariah is alone in that respect by any means so a bit harsh there
                I am not really a huge fan of Daydream as an album. I find it hard to listen to all those big ballads in one sitting.
                The only tracks I would really listen to regularly now from that album are Underneath the Stars, Melt Away and the Dupri mix of Always Be my Baby.

Comment

• I have always loved Thanx 4 Nothin' but I sometimes cannot get through it because of JD's ridicuous rambling all over the track.
                  Recently found this version where all his mumbling has been removed. So so much better without him.

Comment

• https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...of-love-29647/

Comment

• Years and years ago, one of my high school english teachers assigned the class to present a song that inspired us, and I played Through the Rain. When I sat down, I saw some of the "cool" kids discreetly laughing at me, which left me so traumatized that I systematically avoided the song ever since. Now that I am a fully realized adult and the memories of childhood bullying don't sting anymore, I've revisited Through the Rain which was prompted by the performance last weekend.

And wow, I didn't realize how much I've missed that song! It's such a shame that the (at the time) lethargic US fans seemed to erase it from the Mariah canon. It was a decent sized hit in Europe, Asia and Canada (where I live and was a top 5 hit).

And that AMA performance! I used to watch that religiously! Was it perfect? No. But sometimes its about appreciating the bigger picture rather than anatomizing the minutiae. You could tell that she was nervous, but she didn't have to be, because the audience was clearly rooting for her.
                      Last edited by CDC; Sun May 17th, 2020, 04:10.

Comment

• Next Album title should be When will your faves? or Your faves could never.
                        Imagine if 20th #1 is coming..
                        I'm serious...
                        Last edited by Anderson; Sun May 17th, 2020, 04:48.

Comment

• InFamous
                          InFamous commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Those titles would be tragic to be honest.

• Originally posted by Hejira View Post

Yes I love Georgina too. She seems like the sweetest person.
                        I know, right?!
                        I love the way she smiles when Mariah does a great attempt, like she's proud of Kween <3
                        Also she's very humble and sincere, and she knows what she's talking about. Not everybody has that to their credit.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheRealest View Post
                          I hope the 30th anniversary of the album will get more attention on social media... because that wasn’t enough for me.

Comment

• My Ranking:

13. MIAM
                            12. Music Box
                            11. Rainbow
                            10. Memoirs
                            9. Einstein
                            8. Mariah Carey
                            7. Daydream
                            6. Glitter
                            5. TEOM
                            4. Emotions
                            3. Caution
                            2. Charmbracelet
                            1. Butterfly

Ugh, that was hard.

P.S. Merry Xmas and MCIIU would be right in the middle (after Daydream).

Comment

• SmartIsNewSexy
                              SmartIsNewSexy commented
                              Editing a comment
                              CB #2 ?
                              Why so high?

• Shaka
                              Shaka commented
                              Editing a comment
                              'Cause it's her best work after Butterfly. Sorry, I don't make the rules.

• Originally posted by SmartIsNewSexy View Post
                            Mariah is brewing something whilst in lockdown.....
                            Can't wait for MC16 in 2021.

I hope she sticks to the one-word album title formula.

Caution was so bold.

Comment

• SmartIsNewSexy
                              SmartIsNewSexy commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Did Mariah ever explain why she titled the album "Caution"?

• I would've chosen other performances, but great stuff nonetheless!

Her performances at Soul Train '91 are some of her greatest vocal deliveries.

One of her best vocal dates EVER.

Comment

• My Ranking:

13. Charmbracelet
                              12. Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel
                              11. Rainbow
                              10. Me I am Mariah. The Elusive Chanteause
                              09. E=MC2
                              08. Glitter
                              07. Emotions
                              06. Daydream
                              05. Music Box
                              04. Mariah Carey
                              03. Caution
                              02. The Emancipation of Mimi
                              01. Butterfly

Merry Christmas World be #4 and Merry Christmas 2 You after Rainbow

Comment

• OT.

Her belting (tone) in the recent TTR/MIH Medley sounds more like In The Mix (song) than MIAM.

I love that cry-ish sound at the very end of her belts. She used 'em in her TEOM live snippets as well (e.g. Your Girl). I looooove the way that that sounds. And she stopped doing them for a while (except for some Emotions Intro's).

Comment

• My Ranking:

13. Memoirs Of An Imperfect Angel
                                  12. Music Box
                                  11. Me. I Am Mariah
                                  10. Rainbow
                                  09. E=MC2
                                  08. Mariah Carey
                                  07. Daydream
                                  06. Glitter
                                  05. Caution
                                  04. The Emancipation Of Mimi
                                  03. Charmbracelet
                                  02. Emotions
                                  01. Butterfly
                                  Mariah Carey the best singer of all time
                                  My Queen! My Goddess! My Idol!
                                  Forever and always!

Comment

• Shaka
                                    Shaka commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    TOP 3 IS TASTE.

• 13. Rainbow
                                  12. Glitter
                                  11. E=MC²
                                  10. MIAMTEC
                                  09. Emotions
                                  08. MOAIA
                                  07. Charmbracelet
                                  06. Caution
                                  05. Music Box
                                  04. Daydream
                                  03. Butterfly
                                  02. Mariah Carey
                                  01. TEOM

Comment

• Mine:

01. The Emancipation of Mimi
                                    02. Daydream
                                    03. Butterfly
                                    04. Caution
                                    05. Glitter
                                    06. Mariah Carey
                                    07. Rainbow
                                    08. E=MC2
                                    09. Me I am Mariah. The Elusive Chanteause
                                    10. Music Box
                                    11. Emotions
                                    12. Charmbracelet
                                    13. Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel

I love music!

Comment

• 1) butterfly
                                      2) daydream
                                      3) music box
                                      4) E=MC2
                                      5) Merry Christmas

My interchangeable top5

Comment

• Oh man, I can barely rank her albums either.
                                        Not individually anyway.

I've put them in tiers and then chronologically in each.

Tier 1a (Exceptional as bodies of work)
                                        Emotions
                                        Merry Christmas
                                        Butterfly

Tier 1b (Brilliant albums with some exceptional songs)
                                        Mariah Carey
                                        Daydream
                                        E=MC2

Tier 2 (Fantastic albums with some great songs)
                                        Music Box
                                        Glitter
                                        TEOM

Tier 3 (Very strong albums with some great songs)
                                        Me... I Am Mariah
                                        Caution

Tier 4 (Some great songs and moments)
                                        Rainbow
                                        Charmbracelet
                                        Memoirs
                                        MCIIY
                                        Last edited by InfoFromAus; Sun May 17th, 2020, 14:37.
                                        MESMARIAHSING!

Comment

• Comment

• SmartIsNewSexy
                                            SmartIsNewSexy commented
                                            Editing a comment
                                            Alicia keys is extremely talented, but she ain't close to Mariah's level.

What is this "versus" thing anyway?

Madonna is probably the only female artist that would put up a worthy fight in terms of legendary discography

• Love their friendship <3

Comment

• 1 Butterfly
                                            2 Caution
                                            3 E=MC2
                                            4 #1's

Comment

• 13. Glitter (unfortunately, don't really get this album outside of Loverboy, Lead The Way and Never Too Far)

12. Me. I Am Mariah (vocals not a strong point on this one, though #Beautiful, Thirsty and Faded are the highlights on this. Faded i'm loving more and more these days though wished it had a bit more fuller vocals and less screechiness).

11. Memoirs Of An Imperfect Angel (cohesive sound though sounding a bit dated these days)

10. Rainbow (Some highs but unfortunately too many lows to score higher on my list. My favourites are Heatbreaker, Bliss, Petals/Rainbow, TGIFY)

09. Charmbracelet (not a fan of the over-use of the whispery/breathy tone on this album, but these days find it a more easy to listen compared to the aforementioned . Through The Rain, My Saving Grace, Yours are my favourites on this album).

08. E=MC2 (the uptempo/bops hit hard on this album. Too much potential if only they released as TMB, Migrate, I'll Be Loving u Long Time in that order).

07. Caution (very easy to listen to, mellow, mature and sounds very cohesive in an expensive way. Caution I think is my favourite on this album).

06. Emotions (starting to come out of the shadows of the Debut for me, it's an incredible body of work in its own way. Emotions aside, i love If It's Over, Make It Happen and Can't Let Go)

05. The Emancipation Of Mimi (this album brings me so much joy as the "comeback" and "return of the voice", it was so great to see her being recognised in that way. the string of ILT-WBT-SIO-DFAU is just powerful)

04. Mariah Carey (I love this album cause whilst it clearly sounds 90s, it is a mature and incredible end-to-end listening experience. There's no filler, pure musicality).

03. Music Box (This is a top tier album for me, there's a reason why it's her top seller worldwide. It was Pop, AC with a touch of Urban and Soul and connected with the audiences. It has classic melodies, outstanding vocals and screams "expensive" music. Mariah's signature ballads are on this album and another easy listen end-to-end.

02. Butterfly (When i first heard this album after DayDream and Music Box I thought she went too far RnB/Urban/Hip-Hop. Obviously she lost a big chunk of her mainstream/GP audience with this album though this body of work is undeniable. Honey, Breakdown, Butterfly, My All is still so impactful these days and her music videos this era was her best for sure.

01. Daydream (this is the definitive Pop/RnB album for me, the balance here is just right and came at the right time when music was changing. 94-96 is my favourite years in music (teenage years), not only did we have major RnB albums but everybody was releasing great music from rock to pop to RnB. At this time, people were still releasing deep, lyrical, innovative and expensive sounding music before the onslaught of the teeny-bopper music. When I heard Fantasy for the first time it was a sizemic shift with a totally fresh and interesting sound. I personally love the original (not the ODB remix) and to follow it up with OSD and ABMB would easily be the biggest 1-2-3 punch in her singles history).

The top 5 are so close and hit in different ways at different times, so can change.
                                              Last edited by skylynx; Sun May 17th, 2020, 13:28.

Comment

• We love ranking, don't we? lol

01. Butterfly
                                                02. Daydream
                                                03. Caution
                                                04. Emotions
                                                05. Mariah Carey
                                                06. The Emancipation Of Mimi
                                                07. Charmbracelet
                                                08. Music Box
                                                09. Me. I Am Mariah
                                                10. E=MC2
                                                11. Glitter
                                                12. Rainbow
                                                13. Memoirs Of An Imperfect Angel

Comment

• My ranking:

1. Mariah Carey - Vision of Love, Love Takes Time, I Don't Wanna Cry, Vanishing, Sent From Up Above...

2. Emotions - Emotions, Can't Let Go, Make It Happen, To Be Around You, You're So Cold...

3. E=MC² - Lovin' U Long Time, Stay In Love, Migrate, Bye Bye, Cruise Control...

4. Music Box - Anytime You Need A Friend, Dreamlover, Without You...

5. Daydream - Always Be My Baby, I Am Free, Forever...

6. Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel - Betcha Gon' Know, HATE U, Obsessed...

7. Buterfly - My All, Fourth of July, Close My Eyes, The Roof, Butterfly

8. The Emancipation of Mimi - Circles, We Belong Together, Mine Again...

9. Me. I am Mariah - Faded, You Don't Know What To Do, Make It Look Good...

10. Rainbow - Petals, Heartbreaker, Can't Take That Away...

11. Caution - Caution, With You, GTFO...

12. Glitter - Lead The Way, Never Too Far, If We...

13. Charmbracelet - Bringin' On The Heartbreak, Through The Rain...

My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• 1. Daydream
                                                    2. Butterfly
                                                    3. Caution
                                                    4. Music Box
                                                    5. E=MC2
                                                    6. Rainbow
                                                    7. Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel
                                                    8. Mariah Carey
                                                    9. Me. I Am Mariah...The Elusive Chanteuse
                                                    10. Emotions
                                                    11. Charmbracelet
                                                    12. The Emancipation of Mimi

I have never listened to "Glitter" and I don’t know where I'd rank the Christmas albums rn.
                                                    Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

Working...
                                                    X