• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rare shoot

See latest news on Reports, Infractions & Bans
    See Mariah Carey's Memoir thread

Comment

• ^ Beautiful!
    Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

• love the 2nd pic behind the curtains

Comment

• Where did the whole "Vocal Bible" came from for Brandy? She's obviously known for her vocal stacking but I think Mariah does it even better than her. It's more precise and varied whereas I think Brandy tends to overdo her stacking to the point where it tends to drowns out what she's singing about. Also it tends to be most effective on the lower end of her voice.

One of my favourite vocal stacking songs from Mariah is actually It's Like That. Especially the "leaving it all behind" part. Vary euphoric........for me, it was that exact vocal stacking that kicked off the Emancipation era for me....it was very nostalgic and harkens back to the pop songs with very strong background vocals like Fantasy.

Comment

• New photo !!

Comment

• So many new/rare pics popping up this week!

Comment

• Originally posted by skylynx View Post
              Where did the whole "Vocal Bible" came from for Brandy? She's obviously known for her vocal stacking but I think Mariah does it even better than her. It's more precise and varied whereas I think Brandy tends to overdo her stacking to the point where it tends to drowns out what she's singing about. Also it tends to be most effective on the lower end of her voice.
              Idkr. "Bible" must include many kind of stuff (voices) in one pack what Brandy doesnt have at all. Mariah can sing with many voices so these two words more fits to MC than Brandy bottle.

Comment

• Discuss Brandy in her own thread.
                "Lift up your head
                Lift up your heart..."

https://soundcloud.com/jaspervanbeve...orest-of-glass

Comment

• Brandy has some incredibly creative and precise runs, and she is considered a "placement singer" from what her fans say about her, which I think means she always finds the "sweet spot" in terms of effectively using her different registers as she moves through the notes. Not sure exactly on terminology.

Let Brandy have that title. The Songbird Supreme remains unbothered. Brandy is a talent, and it seems like she is getting her life back on track. Her new album deals with mental illness very candidly and has an understated and sophisticated vibe.

Probably best to discuss Brandy in her own thread rather than drawn comparisons. She and Mariah are very different.
                  You don’t have to be afraid of what you are!

Comment

• Baby I just melt away
                    Fall like rain
                    Every time I see your face I go off
                    I just want to break it down
                    Anytime you come around
                    Maybe I could melt away in your arms

Comment

• I like brandy, but she just sounds like she’s imitating whitney but doesn’t have the range.
                      Me. I am Itsawrap.

Comment

• Ok guys interesting discussion. You can continue it in the Brandy topic here:
                        https://www.ukmix.org/forum/music-di...n/61133-brandy

Back to MC

Comment

• I pre-ordered The Meaning of Mariah Carey on Amazon. I wonder how the book is doing in presales globally.

Is it a bit worrying that Lana's Violet Bent Backwards seems stronger on pre-orders (at least on Amazon) and is opening the same week. I love Lana's music and writing as well....if Mariah doesn't get the best sellers than i wouldn't mind Lana.

There doesn't appear to be much excitement around this outside of the non-fans.

I guess the whole diva image she has amongst the general public has really shot her A-list persona and general deep interest......she is seen as shallow, overbearing and too camp amongst the GP. They've obviously repaired this to a small degree by focusing on legend/catalogue/not-too-serious/fun aura....though i think to some she is not seen as "weighty" or "enigmatic" enough. And perceptions can count alot for a book.....if they're not seen as juicy or weighty enough no one would care.

Even when Whitney has all her problems and was still alive, the Diane or Oprah interviews were all over the news and had prime time advertisements.....Mariah is resigned to an Andy Cohen publishing (seems too niche)?

I trust they tried to go with a bigger publisher though didn't get much interest...though does it matter which publishing company handles her book.......is it mainly the advertising advantage that you get with a bigger publisher?

Not sure how theyre going to handle the advertising or whether they're going to get some big interviews lined up with some big name interviwers. Obviously Andy Cohen but is he even big in America on the talk show circcuit outside of the LGBTI group?
                          Last edited by skylynx; Sun August 2nd, 2020, 20:11.

Comment

• Who is more shady person B or MC?

Comment

• Originally posted by itsawrap View Post
                              I like brandy, but she just sounds like she’s imitating whitney but doesn’t have the range.
                              Tbh. It made smoking. Because it's impossible that she changed so far in voice so deep. Check out Britney - she sounds still the same since 15. Mariah also sounds almost the same since 1990 (ofc she has physically problems with her neck, but still she sounds).

Tbh never checked Brandy actual stuff and remember for the first time I saw her 2012 performance of "Sittin'.." song make me literally ask if she is really the same Brandy from 90s and not someone else lol.

Comment

• Mariah doesn't have any problem with her neck

Comment

I pre-ordered The Meaning of Mariah Carey on Amazon. I wonder how the book is doing in presales globally.

Is it a bit worrying that Lana's Violet Bent Backwards seems stronger on pre-orders (at least on Amazon) and is opening the same week. I love Lana's music and writing as well....if Mariah doesn't get the best sellers than i wouldn't mind Lana.

I guess the whole diva image she has amongst the general public has really shot her A-list persona and general deep interest......she is seen as shallow, overbearing and too camp amongst the GP. They've obviously repaired this to a small degree by focusing on legend/catalogue/not-too-serious/fun aura....though i think to some she is not seen as "weighty" or "enigmatic" enough. And perceptions can count alot for a book.....if they're not seen as juicy or weighty enough no one would care.

Even when Whitney has all her problems and was still alive, the Diane or Oprah interviews were all over the news and had prime time advertisements.....Mariah is resigned to an Andy Cohen publishing (seems too niche)?

I trust they tried to go with a bigger publisher though didn't get much interest...though does it matter which publishing company handles her book.......is it mainly the advertising advantage that you get with a bigger publisher?

Not sure how theyre going to handle the advertising or whether they're going to get some big interviews lined up with some big name interviwers. Obviously Andy Cohen but is he even big in America on the talk show circcuit outside of the LGBTI group?
                                  That's because the promo hasn't started yet and there isn't any advance of the memoir for highlights. Let wait to September

Comment

• To promote the book now that Ellen is going down she should go on Kelly for daytime (as well as morning shows like like with Kelly ripa) then for late night shows. Either James Corden with either an updated carpool or doing something fun like a 'spill your guts'. Or Jimmy Fallan. Again doing something fun to show her playful side.
                                    ​​​​​
                                    Then she needs to come to the UK. Do this morning. Then Graham Norton at night!
                                    Love you like a love song!

Comment

• Originally posted by delapuerta View Post
                                      Mariah doesn't have any problem with her neck
                                      I think that user might mean "throat" but hard to say.

In any case we love everyone, and I am happy to get back to discussing the lovely Mariah Carey in this thread.

Can't wait for the book! Promo specifically for the book right now would be wasted, but I am looking forward to lots of appearances or promo events. MC30 is already so much fun and seems like it will lead in beautifully to the book release.

Comment

• Originally posted by BehindBreakaway View Post
                                        To promote the book now that Ellen is going down she should go on Kelly for daytime (as well as morning shows like like with Kelly ripa) then for late night shows. Either James Corden with either an updated carpool or doing something fun like a 'spill your guts'. Or Jimmy Fallan. Again doing something fun to show her playful side.
                                        ​​​​​
                                        Then she needs to come to the UK. Do this morning. Then Graham Norton at night!
                                        She’s not gonna travel To another country or go to any tv show to put herself in danger to get covid

Comment

• Unless anything drastically changes in the next 6 weeks (doubtful), I wouldn’t expect any in-person promo tbh...

Comment

I pre-ordered The Meaning of Mariah Carey on Amazon. I wonder how the book is doing in presales globally.

I feel she’s toned down the fake campy diva persona over the last couple of years. The public didn’t get that it was a joke but i think it left a lasting impact...

Comment

• I expect plenty of "via satellite" (aka Zoom) appearances to promote the book, and hopefully. strong sponsored push on Amazon and other digital outlets. In-person appearances just aren't happening, but due to that she could do many appearances including international.

I wish she could do book signings so I could meet her and tell her what she means to me, but I suppose that will have to wait even longer...

Comment

• Her tone on the MIH Divas verses is everything
                                                #CAUTION

Comment

• Caution up to 191 on iTunes R&B. Idk where it places it on the main chart - if at all. But still means its gotten some love this weekend!

Comment

• Originally posted by mm2912 View Post

She’s not gonna travel To another country or go to any tv show to put herself in danger to get covid
                                                    She doesn't have to travel to go on a UK TV show
                                                    Love you like a love song!

Comment

• Comment

• I dont know, for me it will be weird to see her doing tv interviews about the book given her comments about how interviews never really capture things well.

For me, I would like a tv special instead. Something with more depth than quickfire 5-10minute interviews. At least a 20-30 minute segment that perhaps goes over some of the stories and ties it into her career. She doesnt necessarily need to be there for an interview but perhaps them tying together old comments from other interviews.

I am doubtful of this, but a “making the book” type thing would be nice. Where we get some behind the scenes footage of her and Michaela talking about some of the stories in the book and we get to see their writing and editing process. Her meeting with publishers and maybe some of their reactions to it. How did they work on it during COVID?

Michaela interviewing her would be most amazing.

They will likely leak/preview some big stories a couple days before the book release to different outlets to drum up chatter.

Comment

• OK, that video of Mariah 'making it happen' in her living room is just what I was hoping for when I pressed play, and yes SO much more than I expected!!!

That's more choreo than her last 10 tours combined.
                                                        I say Mariah should just perform barefoot from now on!
                                                        MESMARIAHSING!

Comment

• Originally posted by bm08 View Post
                                                          I dont know, for me it will be weird to see her doing tv interviews about the book given her comments about how interviews never really capture things well.

For me, I would like a tv special instead. Something with more depth than quickfire 5-10minute interviews. At least a 20-30 minute segment that perhaps goes over some of the stories and ties it into her career. She doesnt necessarily need to be there for an interview but perhaps them tying together old comments from other interviews.

Michaela interviewing her would be most amazing.
                                                          I think getting a 'big' name interviewing her as part of a special would be the most ideal for her to really tell her story... but that's not likely to happen.
                                                          It has to be someone she trusts!

She has opened up in the past... heck maybe even with Oprah. Woman to woman would be nice.

MESMARIAHSING!

Comment

Working...
                                                          X