Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mariah Carey

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by NorthernMonkey View Post

    Caution, whilst being a brilliant and cohesive album, lacked any big singles and this was key for a big album. GTFO was probably the biggest attention grabber they could have chosen but it was too slow.

    Unless Mariah goes for the blockbuster style album again like TEOM, I don’t think she’ll be a big seller again. Maybe she’s at peace with that and just prefers doing what she loves now.

    I would lowkey LOVE one last huge album

    As long as she's having fun with her music and it shows with quality songs, then I'm fine.
    GTFO was a fun buzz-single but only for a minute. It didn't translate well at all once she sang it live. Not that the song is bad, though !

    I would have started with "A No No" and a different kind of music video. The concept was cute but too repetitive, not a lot of replay value. Also, the Cardi B remix rumours were so enticing. I know that some don't appreciate Cardi but, whether you like her or not, she was riding a big fame wave at the time and it would have been a fun combo, in my opinion.

    I think "Caution" would have been a hot single, too.
    If you have 5 minutes, please check out my song "Alibi" on YouTube.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by stevyy View Post

      MCIIY was semi-butchered... absolute 0,00 promotion in Europe or Asia. lol.. (and yet it outsold TEOM in South Korea, rightfully so).
      In all fairness, Mariah Carey was pregnant with her twins so I'm guessing that traveling that far would have been very tiring for her (and potentially dangerous, or at least not advised). Perhaps a few online interviews would have been nice but I'm not sure if they would have done much. I think it was a lovely era in the US, though, with some nice interviews, beautiful performances, a christmas special, some cute music videos... I think she enjoyed this time. I would be interested in seing some outtakes of the album shoot, though !
      If you have 5 minutes, please check out my song "Alibi" on YouTube.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by NorthernMonkey View Post

        Caution, whilst being a brilliant and cohesive album, lacked any big singles and this was key for a big album. GTFO was probably the biggest attention grabber they could have chosen but it was too slow.

        Unless Mariah goes for the blockbuster style album again like TEOM, I don’t think she’ll be a big seller again. Maybe she’s at peace with that and just prefers doing what she loves now.

        I would lowkey LOVE one last huge album
        You forgot about The Distance and A no no. The Distance could have been a great 1st single.
        Last edited by delapuerta; Yesterday, 22:31.

        Comment


        • NorthernMonkey
          NorthernMonkey commented
          Editing a comment
          I think The Distance would have been the best shot but I don’t think it would have been a big single. I also think Caution and 8th Grade should have been released but just because they’re the most single worthy. In comparison to her big hits, they’re not up there with them and I don’t think they’d have had mass appeal.

      • I feel like Caution (song) would’ve been the best choice with a good video because it was so unlike her.

        Comment


        • NorthernMonkey
          NorthernMonkey commented
          Editing a comment
          Her later albums have so many missed opportunities

      • Originally posted by TheRealest View Post
        I feel like Caution (song) would’ve been the best choice with a good video because it was so unlike her.
        Love this song so much. I love Caution album. All the songs have something special to tell or to offer.
        I'd have loved "Giving me lif"e as the last single with a retro vibe in the vein of "The roof"

        Comment


        • The creativity of the lambs is unparalleled!



          Comment


          • I think A No No is so overrated among the lambs. Its easily one of the worst songs on the album for me.
            The Distance, Caution and Giving me Life are the standouts.

            Comment


            • Comment


              • Originally posted by Imopink1 View Post


                They did really good but whenever I hear a Mariah Carey cover of this song in particular it always sounds shouty. There’s a fullness and quality in Mariah’s high belts that most singers just don’t have.
                That’s what makes mariah stand out - unlike many others, she doesnt ever sound shouty when reaching high notes or belting a tune.

                Comment


                • I can easily say MIAMTEC was the worst and poorly planned era. And it’s a such a shame because it is one of her more superior albums (other than some questionable vocals towards the end of the album, as I have said here several times - the last 3 songs she rush recorded in the Bahamas with JD).

                  it was a disaster form the start with Triumphant and #MCSummer2012. The song was a flop - catchy chorus and she looked gorgeous in the video, but she was a feature in her own song. The one performance she did in the NFL concert was an absolute MESS!

                  so back to the drawing board....

                  she finally released #Beautiful with Miguel in 2013 during Idol. A certified BOP! Perfect current song with hit potential with classic MC vocals. However, this too was doomed. The video was awful - she looked gorgeous, but it was an absolute mess with no appeal. She was on one of the most watched shows on TV and while we know she was miserable and unhappy on that show, she should have capitalized on the opportunity and performed Beautiful in full rather than the snippet we got on the pre-taped finale performance. Instead we got the god-awful GMA performance with the off key whistles that they edited for the west coast airing, and the mess of the lip synced BET awards remix performance (again she looked amazing).

                  She then decided to delay the release of the album (then called TAOLG) and shortly after got injured shooting the #B remix video, which we know ended up being an extensive recovery process. However, she tried to re-invent history and blame the album delay in the injury (when in the fact the delay was announced prior to the injury).

                  she took some time to rehab the shoulder and her arm and then was TAOLG #onthebathroomfloor moment. The song is ok, but not single material, and I still don’t know if it was intended to be a single or just a bonus for the fans to hold us over until the album. I will say I loved the Fallon promo piece and the impromptu performance she posted on YT.

                  finally come February 2014 she gets back into high gear in promo mode and release YM(E). What a poor choice of a single. It’s an album filler song - so many potential hits on the album and THAT is what she and IDJ release? The video and the remix with Trey Songz were absolutely awful and just her fondling herself. I will give her credit for doing promo and if she picked the right single, she could have had a proper hit.

                  she then disappears again and the album is delayed - #latemay saga begins. Promo suddenly stopped and she disappeared. The only promo I recall her having until the album came out was the Letterman appearance, where she looked terrible and unlike herself (too much filler?), the Today show concert (fine) and the NBC special. The special was cool, but it aired on a Saturday night. Mind you mariah promo during album release week is usually an event and she works nonstop. She barely promoted this AT ALL. I think it was a combo of her being over Def Jam and knowing her contract was up and she wasn’t renewing it, and being heartbroken over her separation with Nick. Between the lack of promo and the lyrics on the album, the lambs knew the marriage was over long before TMZ broke the news later in the summer.

                  then the promo and album cycle abruptly ended. YDKWTD was supposed to be the next proper single, but it was never officially released and no video was filmed. Let’s not forget the horrible photoshopped mess that Def Jam picked for the single cover.

                  we had the Metorite performance at the WMAs that aired months after filming and there was all bad press that the initial airing was canceled because of Mariah being late/difficult.

                  we got a short tour in Asia and Australia. Had a rocky start with bad press and bad vocals, but she eventually showed improvement although I wish she was able to tour stateside.

                  again, I love the album and I feel it could’ve had some hit performances if it was promoted properly and the right singles were chosen.

                  [/endrant]

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by jr588 View Post
                    I can easily say MIAMTEC was the worst and poorly planned era. And it’s a such a shame because it is one of her more superior albums (other than some questionable vocals towards the end of the album, as I have said here several times - the last 3 songs she rush recorded in the Bahamas with JD).

                    it was a disaster form the start with Triumphant and #MCSummer2012. The song was a flop - catchy chorus and she looked gorgeous in the video, but she was a feature in her own song. The one performance she did in the NFL concert was an absolute MESS!

                    so back to the drawing board....

                    she finally released #Beautiful with Miguel in 2013 during Idol. A certified BOP! Perfect current song with hit potential with classic MC vocals. However, this too was doomed. The video was awful - she looked gorgeous, but it was an absolute mess with no appeal. She was on one of the most watched shows on TV and while we know she was miserable and unhappy on that show, she should have capitalized on the opportunity and performed Beautiful in full rather than the snippet we got on the pre-taped finale performance. Instead we got the god-awful GMA performance with the off key whistles that they edited for the west coast airing, and the mess of the lip synced BET awards remix performance (again she looked amazing).

                    She then decided to delay the release of the album (then called TAOLG) and shortly after got injured shooting the #B remix video, which we know ended up being an extensive recovery process. However, she tried to re-invent history and blame the album delay in the injury (when in the fact the delay was announced prior to the injury).

                    she took some time to rehab the shoulder and her arm and then was TAOLG #onthebathroomfloor moment. The song is ok, but not single material, and I still don’t know if it was intended to be a single or just a bonus for the fans to hold us over until the album. I will say I loved the Fallon promo piece and the impromptu performance she posted on YT.

                    finally come February 2014 she gets back into high gear in promo mode and release YM(E). What a poor choice of a single. It’s an album filler song - so many potential hits on the album and THAT is what she and IDJ release? The video and the remix with Trey Songz were absolutely awful and just her fondling herself. I will give her credit for doing promo and if she picked the right single, she could have had a proper hit.

                    she then disappears again and the album is delayed - #latemay saga begins. Promo suddenly stopped and she disappeared. The only promo I recall her having until the album came out was the Letterman appearance, where she looked terrible and unlike herself (too much filler?), the Today show concert (fine) and the NBC special. The special was cool, but it aired on a Saturday night. Mind you mariah promo during album release week is usually an event and she works nonstop. She barely promoted this AT ALL. I think it was a combo of her being over Def Jam and knowing her contract was up and she wasn’t renewing it, and being heartbroken over her separation with Nick. Between the lack of promo and the lyrics on the album, the lambs knew the marriage was over long before TMZ broke the news later in the summer.

                    then the promo and album cycle abruptly ended. YDKWTD was supposed to be the next proper single, but it was never officially released and no video was filmed. Let’s not forget the horrible photoshopped mess that Def Jam picked for the single cover.

                    we had the Metorite performance at the WMAs that aired months after filming and there was all bad press that the initial airing was canceled because of Mariah being late/difficult.

                    we got a short tour in Asia and Australia. Had a rocky start with bad press and bad vocals, but she eventually showed improvement although I wish she was able to tour stateside.

                    again, I love the album and I feel it could’ve had some hit performances if it was promoted properly and the right singles were chosen.

                    [/endrant]
                    You narrated that era perfectly

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X