Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meemz can totally sing HWGAA live today. Most of the song's range is actually really low (similar to a lot of the songs on the Caution album). There are a few high belts in the 2nd verse and over the 2nd and final choruses but she can manouver around them (and they aren't even actually that high, relative to her catalogue). I know it's not an Xmas song, but would be fun to hear her duet with Arianna on it during the Xmas special.

Comment

• Originally posted by skylynx View Post
      Mariah just gave a very interesting thought on Whitney and songwriting...........to some it could be perceived as shady but this is the most forward i've heard Mariah talk about Whitney.

We hear alot of the "Whitney is great" though never have we heard Mariah talk about the fact that "Whitney is capable of songwriting" and that she wasn't perhaps encouraged to.....
      Whitney was totally capable as a melodic songwriter. Her ability to scat and arrange her vocal melody over songs is basically the same as Mariah (i.e. witness the final chorus of I Will Always Love You ... she created that signature long chorus, totally different to Dolly's original chorus...And she created the "Don't You Wanna Dance, Say You Wanna Dance, Don't You Wanna Dance" bit at the end of I Wanna Dance With Somebody).

This means she has the ability to create melodies and lyrics, which is basically songwriting. She, like Mariah, just needed a capable musician next to her to quickly play the chord structures/beats while she created the song. But Clive told her to focus on singing while he got blue-chip songwriters to submit songs to her...ala Motown production, where everyone had their own specific role/cog in the wheel).

Comment

• I guess we just need to accept the fact that there's only around 10k devoted lambs left in the US.
        A place in time still belongs to us...

Comment

• Originally posted by carey18ph View Post
          I guess we just need to accept the fact that there's only around 10k devoted lambs left in the US.
          But what to make of the fact that her book sold around 40K in the first week?
          See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
          See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• Originally posted by bm08 View Post

But what to make of the fact that her book sold around 40K in the first week?
            Mariah is a very famous woman, there is a lot of interest in her life, I read the book and I don’t listen to her recent music.

the promo for the book was pretty good too.

Comment

• Here we go around again.

Comment

• Fortunately for Mariah, the book is a #1 Best seller, so the lacklustre performance of the album doesnt really matter.

but for future projects, her team really needs to focus and fix her streaming numbers

Comment

• There's a lot of promo going on for the book, juicy tidbits and positive feedback so GP picked that up.

Devoted lambs thirst to buy an album on the first week so if you think there more lambs than that then what happened? it doesn't matter if there are promo on the album or not, devoted fans will buy. Or maybe it is still too early to make these conclusions since it is just first week.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ewokguy15 View Post

Mariah is a very famous woman, there is a lot of interest in her life, I read the book and I don’t listen to her recent music.

the promo for the book was pretty good too.
                    Thought you weren’t allowed in here?

Comment

• Originally posted by delapuerta View Post
                      Here we go around again.
                      It is just an old habit to break. Some of us are still expecting stellar chart performance because we can never count her out. She proved that time and time again with feats like the comeback album TEOM and rare accomplishments of AIW.

Comment

• Originally posted by carey18ph View Post
                        There's a lot of promo going on for the book, juicy tidbits and positive feedback so GP picked that up.

Devoted lambs thirst to buy an album on the first week so if you think there more lambs than that then what happened? it doesn't matter if there are promo on the album or not, devoted fans will buy. Or maybe it is still too early to make these conclusions since it is just first week.
                        We may have in consideration that she's released a lot of stuff during September and the economic situation is not good currently and maybe there are fans that don't care about this project. Sales are similar to the #1 to infinity in 2015. IDK, if she was able to tour in America last year with Caution..

Comment

This isn't a regular album, it's a compilation of rarities for fans. All the songs were done. The budget has been minimum. Sony hasn't invested much money on this and more of the work has been done by Mariah's team. It's already making money.

What else we can do? I get your point, but every record she releases is not neccesary to be a turning point in her career. She already is Mariah, she's able to tour and sell venues, all other stuff she's done this year have done nicely and the book is a success and Rarities as an album is amazing.

She's not the main focus of her label, even if she sells 50k copies of rarities. What it's a shame is than even having AIWFC every year that gives Sony a lot of money with little investment she doesn't get the budget she deserves. Although I guess she doesn't want to promote overseas much, she doesn't want to perform on TV much and her latest videos has nothing to do with budget but creativity (and I love GTFO and With you photography).

That's my point, just enjoy this treasure without looking to charts and I'm repeating myself like a parrot
                          Rarities didn’t need more investment from the label, it just needed a better strategy and a better lead single to build up hype. Literally any other song on the album would have been a better lead single. She wanted to jump on the ‘empowerment’ bandwagon with STD and it was a fail and had nothing to do with the actual album.

And Mariah makes faaarrr less than her peers at this point so it actually is important that whatever projects she puts out do relatively well. She didn’t need to be #1 but #31 is nothing short of shocking. They did a good job with the book and she’ll get a decent check out of that but there’s no reason they couldn’t have simultaneously put more thought into the album. An album full of ‘old Mariah’ is what literally all the fans she lost this past decade craved, this is such a wasted opportunity. Even Whitney from her grave went #1 in the UK, you just need to think outside the box.

Comment

• Ok, let bury the Rarities. Whitney has the "missing artist appeal".
                            A lead single? How many bsides/demo albums have you seen with a lead single instead of just an "appetizer"?
                            Joni Mitchell is releasing stuff fro her vault and there is no lead single. Think out of the box of an album she's not going to tour nor perform anywhere and it's part of her 30th anniversary celebration. #31 is a poor spot for her but I don't really get your point. You only want Mariah to succeed and she's already done that many times. Maybe it's time for her to be able to release "tangent" projects without the pressure of being top10, top anything. She's earned that.
                            Maybe she's not selling this but she's still one of the most streamed female acts of the 90s, this album will be there forever for everyone intestered in.
                            We all have our visions about her career but if you've read her memoir you should understand what's she's focused on now.
                            And I feel and maybe I'm wrong that part of the disappointment is due to the comparison to other artists and all the "stan wars" around the charts
                            Last edited by delapuerta; Tue October 13, 2020, 14:07.

Comment

• I don’t believe Mariah is half as pressed as some of you appear to be over charts and sales.

She could have chosen any track as a single from the album and in that reality it would have also been deemed an ‘insane choice’ or whatever.

The joy that is this album seems to have turned into a bitter lament of ‘what could have been’ if you follow the current thread... don’t let your imagination spoil what’s been a perfectly wonderful year.

Still got to pinch myself when I think of what we’ve gotten since the rarity of St. John The Divine concert last year.

Comment

• As far as the public are concerned.. The Rarities is full of songs that were rejected from her final album releases. Nobody understands the great quality of the songs included. This album was never going to be a big seller. I’m just grateful for it.

When her next studio album comes and IF they want some success, they need to branch out with other artists and producers. She also needs to promote outside of social media and America (if covid is over)

Lead singles are key for album sales and although I loved the singles on Caution, they were all quite sub-par as singles.

I don’t believe she doesn’t have it in her to have a smash album again.
                                To avoid any upset, please note; anything I post is purely my opinion. If I feel it is a fact, I will state that I feel it is a fact. Lol.

Comment

• She pretty much said on the Trevor Nelson interview that she doesn’t care about the chart numbers at this point... I think her exact words were - “let me live”.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthernMonkey View Post
                                    As far as the public are concerned.. The Rarities is full of songs that were rejected from her final album releases. Nobody understands the great quality of the songs included. This album was never going to be a big seller. I’m just grateful for it.

When her next studio album comes and IF they want some success, they need to branch out with other artists and producers. She also needs to promote outside of social media and America (if covid is over)

Lead singles are key for album sales and although I loved the singles on Caution, they were all quite sub-par as singles.

I don’t believe she doesn’t have it in her to have a smash album again.
                                    I agree with you. She knows what she can do to have a hit song but I think at this point she's focused on her health, her kids and enjoying these projects

Comment

• Mariah can have a "Cher moment" anytime, that's for sure. Her reputation was far worse before TEOM.

Comment

• If you think Mariah doesn’t care about charts and numbers then you’re clearly not reading her memoir

Comment

• It is not that she doesn't care about the charts at all. She does after all, her career is partly defined by her chart performance. For The Rarities though since less effort was done in promoting the album, she is not expecting chart success. She repeatedly said that this is for the lambs.
                                          Last edited by carey18ph; Tue October 13, 2020, 17:15.

Comment

it is stuck on my head. I'm singing the "tell me that you want it, you want it, you want it" part all the time
                                            Funny because on the first part, I'm singing "just say..."once it repeats, I will do the "tell me that you want". I love it. This one she can sing easily.

Comment

• Her interview with Trevor is fantastic - so much music-related chat. Love her funny posh English voice as she mocks Lambs complaining about her "breathy Charmbracelet vocals" and "Through The Rain" choice as a single. Interesting how, when asked whether she would have the same success if she had started her career today, as a comparison she talks about some acts that started 8 years ago who are having great hits today (i.e Ariana?).

Oh God - if Lee Daniels makes a movie/tv series about her autobiography, he would cut out all her songs and replace them with Mary J Blige songs. He never chooses MC's songs for his movies, even when she writes them specifically for his movies...

Comment

• Originally posted by mariahmatherspacker View Post
                                                Lol @ those who say ‘who cares about charts’. You think a record label, and Mariah, put out new projects not wanting to make money? Quality and commercial success are not mutually exclusive. And if Celine can still score a #1 album in 2020 there is absolutely no reason Mariah can’t, the US is her territory and she’s still very much loved there. She just needs to stop ******* up promo and launch strategies. The Rarities was the perfect opportunity to win back fans she had lost a long time ago and they totally messed it up. Plus the success of one album determines the budget she’ll receive for the next one, if she keeps putting out flops she’ll never have proper backing from her label again. It’s just sad nobody’s gonna get to hear the gems on this album...
                                                Um, the last time Celine released an album Covid-19 wasn't a thing, rioters weren't burning buildings/looting, Australia/California weren't blazing infernos, etc. This is a totally different world.

Comment

• I don't follow charts at all anymore, I would struggle to name more then 3 songs released in 2020 tbh. I'm sure Mariah would like success but at the same time she's probably over it too

I also don't think performances or interviews or anything like that make a difference nowadays like some have suggested, it's all just about making sure your song gets put on a Spotify playlist.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kaloki View Post
                                                    I don't follow charts at all anymore, I would struggle to name more then 3 songs released in 2020 tbh. I'm sure Mariah would like success but at the same time she's probably over it too

I also don't think performances or interviews or anything like that make a difference nowadays like some have suggested, it's all just about making sure your song gets put on a Spotify playlist.
                                                    Nailed it

Comment

Working...
                                                    X