This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by InfoFromAus View Post
    None of us can really speak for Mariah, however I would be surprised if she didn't care in the slightest whether her songs achieved success.
    To achieve success is to have them heard - of course she would want them heard, and shared.

You can tell from the below tweet how happy and appreciative she is for the promo (likely paid for, but still) - she seems quite happy to see her work promoted in such big lights. And maybe that's enough for her and she doesn't necessarily care about the numbers as long as there are people (lambs and fans) consuming her music.

I understand her songs not getting to hot100 anymore but I expected at least as a legacy act she could still generate album sales like other acts. Barbra, Celine, Madonna all of them can still get a #1 album but not Mariah since 2008. I don’t understand that

Comment

• Originally posted by mm2912 View Post

I understand her songs not getting to hot100 anymore but I expected at least as a legacy act she could still generate album sales like other acts. Barbra, Celine, Madonna all of them can still get a #1 album but not Mariah since 2008. I don’t understand that
      IMO, we need to start from the fact that the artists you listed are all white, majorly pop/AC acts. Mariah is R&B/R&B-Pop and probably better compared to the likes of the Tonis, Stevies, etc.
      See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
      See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• Indeed, a legacy act should still command a Top 20 or even Top 10 album release easily.

She's still just 50, when the likes of Barbara...etc are in their 70s.

The interesting thing is Mariah is so acctive on Social media yet album sales are lacklustre at best......though when someone like a Barbara release an album, she hardly has the socia media following though people know her album is out.

It's either the GP (including oldies) no longer care for Mariah......or there's a tricck they're missing in promoting outside the lambs.

Comment

• Originally posted by bm08 View Post

IMO, we need to start from the fact that the artists you listed are all white, majorly pop/AC acts. Mariah is R&B/R&B-Pop and probably better compared to the likes of the Tonis, Stevies, etc.
          I KNOW there’s a difference between them because of race and music genre, I’d put Whitney there if she was alive cause all of these ladies were from basically the same era and were the top selling females and had similar success. Celine, Whitney, Madonna, Mariah they were all battling at the same time on the charts and Mariah won them over several times but it seems Mariah were left behind them now. Madonna and Celine are not getting #1 albums because the GP embraced it, it’s basically all their fans buying they still can get generate excitement on the first week from the fans

Comment

• Originally posted by skylynx View Post
            Indeed, a legacy act should still command a Top 20 or even Top 10 album release easily.

The interesting thing is Mariah is so acctive on Social media yet album sales are lacklustre at best......though when someone like a Barbara release an album, she hardly has the socia media following though people know her album is out.

It's either the GP (including oldies) no longer care for Mariah......or there's a tricck they're missing in promoting outside the lambs.
            That’s what I never understand. It seems Mariah is always active on social media and doesn’t seem like people hate her but still she can’t generate album sales like the old peers nor interest from the younger ones I don’t know what is missing

Comment

• Jesus the mood has changed in here from two weeks ago

Comment

• Originally posted by Cyclone View Post

Um, the last time Celine released an album Covid-19 wasn't a thing, rioters weren't burning buildings/looting, Australia/California weren't blazing infernos, etc. This is a totally different world.
                Yes civil disobedience and global warming are the reasons Rarities is debuting at #31 now

Nobody cares about charts until they’re at #1, and then suddenly everyoooonneee cares about charts. She’ll be at #1 again in 2 months anyway but it’s just sad another great project flops purely because of bad decision-making.

Comment

• Originally posted by WaitYourTurn View Post
                  Jesus the mood has changed in here from two weeks ago
                  I don't see a change... it's just that her material is so good and outstanding that we / I want it to be heard by as many people as possible and it is irritating that the GP doesn't care anymore bc that's a conviction I have no understanding for.
                  My Chart

Comment

• The passive aggresiveness of it all lol

I hope Mariah doesn't read this thread after all she's given us this year

Comment

• Originally posted by delapuerta View Post
                      The passive aggresiveness of it all lol

I hope Mariah doesn't read this thread after all she's given us this year
                      +1

Comment

• Clearly, the memoir was the focus of the promo. Could they have done more for The Rarities? Sure. But back to the #1 New York Times Bestseller... not to mention she was #1 on Audible.

Of course everyone, including Mariah, wants their music at the top of the charts, but her life isn't just career-driven anymore. Let her live. I'm sure she'll be fine.

I'm endlessly thankful for all she's given us since last Christmas. I get wanting your fave to have success, but focus more on what you like and not on how other people view what you like.

As for album sales in the US, this country is clearly not the arbiter of taste at the moment, which is clear for many reasons including our hateful, racist president and other elected officials. I'm happy to enjoy the bounties of my superior taste during the bleakness of 2020, even if I'm in the minority.

Comment

• People forget the fact that the other legacy artists (Elton, Barbara, Celine, Madonna, etc) have had a consistent sound their whole career which is why they are able to get so many sales because their old fans still buy the music. Once Mariah switched to a more Hip-Hop influence she lost a portion of her fanbase that loved the pop ballads/ adult contemporary sound, and then when the 2010’s came. R&B slowly started dying too so Mariah was just left with her loyal fans.

Comment

• Originally posted by skylynx View Post
                            Indeed, a legacy act should still command a Top 20 or even Top 10 album release easily.

This is devoid of all context. For starters, there are many legacy acts still releasing material and many of them don't even make the chart, even with new material.

Mariah made it to top 10 in sales, that says quite a lot!

There is also quite a lot of evidence to the contrary to complicate the claim that "the GP no longer care for Mariah". It just isn't that simple.
                            See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                            See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• Billboard
                              Solving Mariah Carey's Mistletoe Mystery: Let's Follow the Gingerbread Crumbs to Her Latest Christmas Collab

https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...p-shop-podcast
                              MESMARIAHSING!

Comment

Who is Toni?

Comment

This. Mariah doesn't have the same mainstream appeal as Cher and Madonna. Mariah is an R&B artist, and is now neglected by the white audience that think that she's too "democrat" and by the black audience that thinks that she's privileged and that she appropriates the black culture.
                                  Reddit | r/MariahCarey: https://www.reddit.com/r/MariahCarey/
                                  Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/user/leoinavalon
                                  Instagram: https://instagram.com/leoavalon/

Comment

• Originally posted by Imopink1 View Post
                                    People forget the fact that the other legacy artists (Elton, Barbara, Celine, Madonna, etc) have had a consistent sound their whole career which is why they are able to get so many sales because their old fans still buy the music. Once Mariah switched to a more Hip-Hop influence she lost a portion of her fanbase that loved the pop ballads/ adult contemporary sound, and then when the 2010’s came. R&B slowly started dying too so Mariah was just left with her loyal fans.
                                    This is tricky because Caution for example is a masterpiece and super contemporary. If it was recorded by Jhenne Aiko or Beyonce, it would've been a smash hit. But Mariah is in the middle of the road for the industry. They consider her too white for R&B, and her 90s audience don't care about "black music". All Mariah has is her fans.

Comment

• Originally posted by leoavalon View Post

This. Mariah doesn't have the same mainstream appeal as Cher and Madonna. Mariah is an R&B artist, and is now neglected by the white audience that think that she's too "democrat" and by the black audience that thinks that she's privileged and that she appropriates the black culture.
                                      Y’all, it’s not that deep, people just didn’t know about The Rarities

We still don’t know her situation but it was put out by a label she hasn’t been signed to for two decades and a legacy branch that only puts out compilations, there was no label marketing team on it, no label radio team, no label promo team, she had to have her vocal engineer mix it, it’s essentially an indie release as far as promo goes

Comment

• Originally posted by mm2912 View Post

That’s what I never understand. It seems Mariah is always active on social media and doesn’t seem like people hate her but still she can’t generate album sales like the old peers nor interest from the younger ones I don’t know what is missing
                                        How many women are in the BB 200? How many of them are black? How many above 50 years old?

The only woman above Mariah's is Dolly Parton with widely promoted Christmas release, that even include AIWFC.

Comment

• Originally posted by allygdale View Post

We still don’t know her situation but it was put out by a label she hasn’t been signed to for two decades and a legacy branch that only puts out compilations, there was no label marketing team on it, no label radio team, no label promo team, she had to have her vocal engineer mix it, it’s essentially an indie release as far as promo goes
                                          She clearly isn't focused on promoting The Rarities. But clearly if we had a similar release by other acts we could have a better chart position since Mariah is a more polarised artist right now.

Comment

How many women are in the BB 200? How many of them are black? How many above 50 years old?

The only woman above Mariah's is Dolly Parton with widely promoted Christmas release, that even include AIWFC.
                                            Enough with the comparisons, they’re irrelevant, it ain’t a regular album and she’s not with a label right now like she was with Caution

Cher happened in ‘99, ageism is worse now than then, female artists are dropped at 30 instead of 40-50, but if anyone can still get a hit, it’s Mariah, and y’all know it

Comment

She clearly isn't focused on promoting The Rarities. But clearly if we had a similar release by other acts we could have a better chart position since Mariah is a more polarised artist right now.
                                              How is she polarizing? What are you talking about? Even Trump supporters are like “love you Mariah but go Trump!” in her comments, they don’t care about her politics

She literally had a No 1 song last year, the difference between that and, say, Cool On You, is that people knew AIWFCIY existed

The streamers and buyers are there, they just need to hear the records and know of their existence

Enough concern, she’s fine

Comment

Thanks. I've been saying this since yesterday. This is a personal project from her and her team.

And Mariah is R&B but she still has GP appeal. Indeed the music current artists do is very influenced by R&B. How a woman who has 19 #1 has no GP appeal?

Also some forget she's released just 2 studio albums in the 2010s and Chanteuse has a hit with #B.

Comment

Enough with the comparisons, they’re irrelevant, it ain’t a regular album and she’s not with a label right now like she was with Caution

Cher happened in ‘99, ageism is worse now than then, female artists are dropped at 30 instead of 40-50, but if anyone can still get a hit, it’s Mariah, and y’all know it
                                                  Not with all the barriers the industry and society create right now. Mariah is victim of ageism, misogeny and racism, both from white and black communities.

Comment

Not with all the barriers the industry and society create right now. Mariah is victim of ageism, misogeny and racism, both from white and black communities.
                                                    Yes, fine, as a member of society, and as a member the industry ageism and sexism

On the other hand, she knows how to get a hit, it requires the kind of promo campaign the memoir received, the AIWFCIY 2019 promo campaign, so maybe if she could do it all again, she would release Rarities earlier and promote it, but it is what it is

Comment

Working...
                                                    X