Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walter A. sold his AIWFCIY stake. What do you think Mariah would feel?

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-54779496

Comment

• My fears of Mariah selling portions of her catalog continue to grow. LA Reid, among others similarly sold his catalog to that company a while back.
      See latest news on Reports, Infractions & Bans
      See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• Originally posted by songwritermc View Post
        Walter A. sold his AIWFCIY stake. What do you think Mariah would feel?

The price should have been so tempting walter wasnt able to say no.
        AsaPUKE ing bola
        king lalam ning TETE

Comment

• It really makes me happy because Mariah is now allowing a lot of projects to use her music like the movies Always Be My Maybe and Free Guy.

Movies really boost a song’s popularity

Comment

• Darkchild sold nearly 1000 songs to that same company. I hope Mariah never does anything like that.

Comment

• Originally posted by bm08 View Post
              My fears of Mariah selling portions of her catalog continue to grow. LA Reid, among others similarly sold his catalog to that company a while back.
              I don’t think Mariah would do this, not unless she’s bankrupt. If she wants fast money, she can just license her songs on a bargain

If she’s lazy to handle them, she can just license a company to do the works for her.

Comment

• Originally posted by 05musicbox View Post

Why am i the only person in the world who needs a thousand comebacks (non-verbatim)?
                --Mariah
                Does writing a #1 NYT bestseller count?

Comment

Can someone please explain why it stated 50%? So royalty is just being shared by songwriters or producers? There's no percentage shared to the singer?
                  A place in time still belongs to us...

Comment

• Originally posted by songwritermc View Post
                    Walter A. sold his AIWFCIY stake. What do you think Mariah would feel?

Walter used to get 50% royalties!
                    no wonder Mariah was pissed

Comment

• All i want for Xmas is you got 883.441 streams yesterday on spotity and it is currently #43 on itunes. How was it last year?

Comment

He must have been so desperate for some $$$

i hope Mariah never sells her share of AIWFCIY

Comment

• Originally posted by markwalde View Post

Does writing a #1 NYT bestseller count?
                          It's another big milestone to add to her achievements.

Mariah has been killing it the past 2 years

Comment

• Ok i checked and last year all i want got 698,686 so it means almost 200.000 streams more than last year wow

Comment

Each song is a mini brand

The idea of investing in an artist's future earnings isn't new. In 1997, David Bowie sold asset-backed securities, dubbed "Bowie bonds", which awarded investors a share in the royalties of songs like Life On Mars and Heroes.

The down side was that it was essentially a loan. If Bowie didn't make as much money as predicted, he'd have had to surrender the rights to his songs.

Mercuriadis says his deals are "more sophisticated", with artists paid 15 years of royalties up front. Taking tax relief into account, many walk away with "about 25 years worth of money in one fell swoop", he says. In return, Hipgnosis owns the songs in perpetuity

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-54423918

Comment

• Originally posted by Yerac View Post
                                Ok i checked and last year all i want got 698,686 so it means almost 200.000 streams more than last year wow
                                Thanks for tracking this.

See latest news on Reports, Infractions & Bans
                                See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• hey casualflow or Meltaway as u r known now!

Comment

• Originally posted by divingmuffin View Post
                                    Confessions on a Dance Floor was an incredible record with fantastic songs and videos, but I agree that Madonna had nothing to come back from. She was already on a pedestal in the public eye as an icon and cultural influencer since the 80's. She never had a Glitter-level disgrace.

Also, TEOM was massive. Undeniably so. And WBT is still THAT song. What. A. JAM.
                                    It depends on what market you are looking at.

USA - TEOM was far bigger than COADF
                                    Outside USA - COADF was far bigger than TEOM

They both sold around 10 million, Mariah sold 6 in the US, 4 WW, Madonna sold 1 million in the US but 9 million WW.

Also Madonna's career, especially in the US was in an iffy place after American Life and actually one could say that she didn't recover as well in the US as Mariah did. American Life was kind of on a par with Charmbracelet in terms of sales at the time. I mean, its amazing to think that TEOM sold 6 times as much as COADF in the US but that the albums sold the same overall.

However Hung Up is definitely one of the biggest songs of Madonna's career and was a bonafide WW smash so it was a comeback of sorts. Madonna hadn't had a really huge WW single like that since Music in 2000 and again Hung UP was bigger WW than WBT, but obviously WBT was far bigger than Hung Up in the US.

Both eras were hugely successful, and it is interesting to see how they both hit so hard, but in different markets.
                                    Seeing both Madonna and Mariah with 10 million selling albums in 2005 was pretty incredible tbh.

Comment

• Originally posted by carey18ph View Post

Can someone please explain why it stated 50%? So royalty is just being shared by songwriters or producers? There's no percentage shared to the singer?
                                      Songwriter got publishing and mechanical royalties. Singer got their own share in a royalty as well. However, singer share in royalties are recoupable by label if she has any unpaid advances. Songwriting publishing n mechanical rolyalties however unrecoupable by label. Walter got her fair share in mechanical n publishing royalties. While mariah earns from both mechanical/publishing as well from her artist/singer cut which % depends of her deal with columbia at tht time. Producer share usually paid from Singer/artist share. So mariah/walter may get additional 3% from producer share which both of em taking 50% each.
                                      Last edited by memeng; Mon November 2, 2020, 15:23.
                                      DIVAS

Comment

• Mariah's comeback in 2005 was truly remarkable. She was really coming back from two very bad eras and a damaged image. Despite the not so pleasant sales of American Life and it's singles, Madonna was still riding high on the waves of her very successful sold out ReInvention tour in 2004. Hung Up was far more successful worldwide, but I still wouldn't call it a comeback. She was never gone that far away. Mariah really did it. The stunning success of WBT and the whole Mimi era is what I really call an Amazing comeback!
                                        FOLLOW THE DUCK
                                        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzF...RpLtZEEAHM1AEw

Comment

• Im still in shock how quickly this song is going up on itunes, even tho we know itunes is not relevant anymore... #28 right now

Comment

• Originally posted by memeng View Post

Songwriter got publishing and mechanical royalties. Singer got their own share in a royalty as well. However, singer share in royalties are recoupable by label if she has any unpaid advances. Songwriting publishing n mechanical rolyalties however unrecoupable by label. Walter got her fair share in mechanical n publishing royalties. While mariah earns from both mechanical/publishing as well from her artist/singer cut which % depends of her deal with columbia at tht time. Producer share usually paid from Singer/artist share. So mariah/walter may get additional 3% from producer share which both of em taking 50% each.
                                            THANK YOU.

Comment

• Spotify daily:

Oct 31 - 445,820 - All I want for Christmas Is You
                                              Nov 01 - 902,333 - All I want for Christmas Is You

Oct 31 - 72,204 - Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)
                                              Nov 01 - 153,625 - Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)

Oct 31 - 27,654 - O Holy Night
                                              Nov 01 - 49,776 - O Holy Night

Oct 31 - 23,297 - All I want for Christmas Is You (ft. Justin Bieber)
                                              Nov 01 - 40,625 - All I want for Christmas Is You (ft. Justin Bieber)

Oct 31 - 18,242 - Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
                                              Nov 01 - 33,423 - Santa Claus Is Coming To Town

LORD! Mariah strikes again.
                                              My Chart

Comment

• "Rainbow" turns 21 today and "Merry Christmas II You" turns 10!
                                                Britney Spears Janet Jackson Christina Aguilera Michael Jackson Selena Gomez Hilary Duff Taylor Swift Justin Timberlake

Comment

• Rainbow is old enough to drink in the US? Omg I feel so old!
                                                  To avoid any upset, please note; anything I post is purely my opinion. If I feel it is a fact, I will state that I feel it is a fact. Lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by SmartIsNewSexy View Post

He must have been so desperate for some $$$

i hope Mariah never sells her share of AIWFCIY
                                                    I guess he just want to milk the song to a certain extent while he is still alive.

As for Mariah, it is her brand now so it will unwise to sell her share.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X