Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mariah will never sell her rights to anyone. only fools do that. I personally do not know a music legend who did that.
    My Chart

Comment

• Mariah Carey the best singer of all time
      My Queen! My Goddess! My Idol!
      Forever and always!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bad_Bobby2009 View Post
        Mariah's comeback in 2005 was truly remarkable. She was really coming back from two very bad eras and a damaged image. Despite the not so pleasant sales of American Life and it's singles, Madonna was still riding high on the waves of her very successful sold out ReInvention tour in 2004. Hung Up was far more successful worldwide, but I still wouldn't call it a comeback. She was never gone that far away. Mariah really did it. The stunning success of WBT and the whole Mimi era is what I really call an Amazing comeback!
        How I wish for 1 more era like that.

Total domination and back on the tips of most people's tongues. Everything was done right. When the album dropped back in the day, on the train I could hear two ladies talking about the album and its cover (which is perhaps the best cover she's released).

It is still the biggest comeback in music history.

I hope they go all out of with the next album. It needs to be a fresh sound, fun and uptempo. Caution was the appetiser, we need something that hits all quaddrants like TEOM.

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

It depends on what market you are looking at.

USA - TEOM was far bigger than COADF
          Outside USA - COADF was far bigger than TEOM

They both sold around 10 million, Mariah sold 6 in the US, 4 WW, Madonna sold 1 million in the US but 9 million WW.

Also Madonna's career, especially in the US was in an iffy place after American Life and actually one could say that she didn't recover as well in the US as Mariah did. American Life was kind of on a par with Charmbracelet in terms of sales at the time. I mean, its amazing to think that TEOM sold 6 times as much as COADF in the US but that the albums sold the same overall.

However Hung Up is definitely one of the biggest songs of Madonna's career and was a bonafide WW smash so it was a comeback of sorts. Madonna hadn't had a really huge WW single like that since Music in 2000 and again Hung UP was bigger WW than WBT, but obviously WBT was far bigger than Hung Up in the US.

Both eras were hugely successful, and it is interesting to see how they both hit so hard, but in different markets.
          Seeing both Madonna and Mariah with 10 million selling albums in 2005 was pretty incredible tbh.
          RnB doesn't sell as well globally, it's more selective. Whereas if there's a big pop song, it's bound to have a better chance of hitting in most markets which have more eclectic tastes. Europe/Oceania obviously loves pop and Hung Up was nostalgic, futuristic and had that wonderful melody.

Asia loves adult-contemporary (or at least back in the day it did) and strong singable melodies.

Comment

• Originally posted by skylynx View Post

RnB doesn't sell as well globally, it's more selective. Whereas if there's a big pop song, it's bound to have a better chance of hitting in most markets which have more eclectic tastes. Europe/Oceania obviously loves pop and Hung Up was nostalgic, futuristic and had that wonderful melody.

Asia loves adult-contemporary (or at least back in the day it did) and strong singable melodies.

Well it depends. There are plenty of pop albums released that don't sell 9 million outside of America, so it's not as simple as saying oh it sold well because it was pop.

Also there are plenty of R&B albums released that definitely dont sell 6 million in the US.

BOTH ladies did amazing with those releases.
            Last edited by InFamous; Mon November 2, 2020, 19:23.

Comment

• Originally posted by MayoAndMustard View Post
              Random question, in terms of public perception, which was a bigger comeback in 2005, TEOM or Confessions on a Dance Floor? I mean don’t get me wrong, I love both of them and they both are extremely talented, but thinking back then (when I was a kid lol) I could only remember radios playing Hung Up and Sorry all the time but didn’t notice ILT or WBT or SIO on the radio at all. So what do you guys think?
              In my country (Netherlands) both were successful, but Madonna was the most successful with Hung Up going to #1, Sorry to #2, Get Together #13 and Jump #6.
              But Mariah also did great: It's Like That #26 and the real highlights: We Belong Together #2 and Get Your Number #7.
              My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• Originally posted by Yerac View Post
                All i want for Xmas is you got 883.441 streams yesterday on spotity and it is currently #43 on itunes. How was it last year?
                Not sure about iTunes but on Spotify......

Streams are much higher than last year by around 30% (which is pretty massive when last year was the big 25th anniversary.....people are obviously thirsty to get this year over with....though let's see how well it will hold). Positionally she's also much higher despite the Ariana album bomb.

Though it'll be interesting to see how the Election this week will affect things.

Also the charts are weak at the momment, any reasonably big artist can still debut and claim the #1 spot in the US at least. Last year The Weekend was the last big artist debut....I wonder who it will be this year in terms of competition. Remember last year Post Malone also released Circles around this time.

Global:
                2019 - November 1st Fri - 698,686 (#180)
                2019 - November 2nd Sat - 682,522 (#172)
                2019 - November 3rd Sun - 666,649 (#143)
                2019 - November 4th Sun - 668,596 (#169)
                2019 - November 5th Mon - 691,681 (#167)

2020 - November 1st (Sun) - 882,541 (#116)

US:
                2019 - November 1st Fri - 302,453 (#115)
                2019 - November 2nd Sat - 281,222 (#119)
                2019 - November 3rd Sun - 262,747 (#110)
                2019 - November 4th Sun - 270,318 (#125)
                2019 - November 5th Mon - 271,428 (#131)

2020 - November 1st (Sun) - 356,813 (#63)

UK:
                2019 - November 1st Fri - 80,659 (#88)
                2019 - November 2nd Sat - 69,582 (#87)
                2019 - November 3rd Sun - 69,980 (#79)
                2019 - November 4th Sun - 67,280 (#92)
                2019 - November 5th Mon - 69,526 (#85)

2020 - November 1st (Sun) - 102,703 (#54)

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

Well it depends. There are plenty of pop albums released that don't sell 9 million outside of America, so it's not as simple as saying oh it sold well because it was pop.

Also there are plenty of R&B albums released that definitely dont sell 6 million in the US.

BOTH ladies did amazing with those releases.
                  Of course it's not that simple but if you look at the macro. RnB is fundamentally rooted in black music...........unfortunately, not every country out there has the same affinity or view on black culture. There's a reason why big hip/hop and trap artists don't do that well in Asia comparatively for example. It's all changing cause social media is pushing trends and the youth obviously crave that which is big internationally. That's why you're seeing all these hiphop/trap trends starting to tricckle through into the Asian markets and more Asian artists weaving those sounds into their songs...etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by carey18ph View Post
                    WBT was inescapable in the radio on its time. It recorded the highest daily and weekly impressions that time so I don't know why you didn't hear it back then.
                    Was that record on radio ever surpassed?

Comment

• Originally posted by songwritermc View Post
                      Walter A. sold his AIWFCIY stake. What do you think Mariah would feel?

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-54779496
                      I'm sure she would want the other 50% or at least buy it off him, but since they're not on speaking terms.....she's probably content with her lot. ....and he can do whatever the F**K he wants with his portion

Comment

• Originally posted by MeltAway View Post

I don't know about releasing it as a single but it is an underrated classic. C(BPCH) is next in line in her catalog, in terms of streaming popularity. How could her team/label build on that organic interest to get it to chart BB Top 50?

But it's a cover, what Mariah original is most likely to break through next based on current streaming popularity? Oh Santa, Miss You Most, When Christmas Comes? Stevyy??

* CBPCH - is the best shot at another high charter

* Oh Santa - is probably the one she will want to push next out of her personal catalogue

* Miss You Most - is my sentimental favourite, though there's a reason why it doesn't chart quite as high. It's a very sad song and you need to be in your feels. Also, the vocals were insane on this and since Mariah doesn't even touch it there's no chance that those who don't listen to the album fully will know of it.

Comment

• I love "When Christmas Comes".
                          Not a fan of Miss you most.

Comment

• Favorite Christmas songs written by Mariah:

1. The Star
                            2. Lil Snowman
                            3. One Child
                            4. When Christmas Comes
                            5. Jesus Born On This Day
                            6. Oh Santa!
                            7. All I Want For Christmas Is You

8. Where Are You Christmas
                            9. Miss You Most (At Christmas Time)
                            10. Christmas Time Is In The Air Again

Comment

* Miss You Most - is my sentimental favourite, though there's a reason why it doesn't chart quite as high. It's a very sad song and you need to be in your feels. Also, the vocals were insane on this and since Mariah doesn't even touch it there's no chance that those who don't listen to the album fully will know of it.
                              I feel it is known by a lot of people though. Several artists have covered the song live or for their own Christmas album. Also, it still gets airplay, at least here it does. In the 90s it was looked upon as the double a-side to AIWFCIY and even the video was played on TV.

Comment

Was that record on radio ever surpassed?
                                yes. Bruno Mars did it with Uptown Funk. But more radios were added in comparison to 2005. Mariah still holds the record for female acts at 212 million audience impressions (BDS) and 251 million on Mediabase.

It's also #1 among solo songs.
                                My Chart

Comment

• I ain’t ready for Christmas yet! Never until Thanksgiving

God I feel so greedy after all we got this year but I am dying for “Skydiving”

Comment

• Originally posted by allygdale View Post
                                    I ain’t ready for Christmas yet! Never until Thanksgiving

God I feel so greedy after all we got this year but I am dying for “Skydiving”
                                    The Chick album first. I really really need that. It's the most important thing to get me excited.
                                    My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post

The Chick album first. I really really need that. It's the most important thing to get me excited.
                                      But all “Skydiving” needs is a master if Timbaland ever sends her the damn mix (OK add Drake and Ariana for a a guaranteed smash hit wonder )

Obviously I am dying to hear Chick with MC on it too, especially “Malibu” and “Surrender”

I wonder if they have any video from dem Chick sessions, that would have made an epic film documentary

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post
                                        Favorite Christmas songs written by Mariah:

1. The Star
                                        2. Lil Snowman
                                        3. One Child
                                        4. When Christmas Comes
                                        5. Jesus Born On This Day
                                        6. Oh Santa!
                                        7. All I Want For Christmas Is You

8. Where Are You Christmas
                                        9. Miss You Most (At Christmas Time)
                                        10. Christmas Time Is In The Air Again

I'm surprised to see Lil Snowman so high!!! But love the respect placed on One Child.
                                        See latest news on Reports, Infractions & Bans
                                        See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post

I feel it is known by a lot of people though. Several artists have covered the song live or for their own Christmas album. Also, it still gets airplay, at least here it does. In the 90s it was looked upon as the double a-side to AIWFCIY and even the video was played on TV.
                                          Only fans and those listening to the album, it's not something which is a must have on people's playlists which is a shame.

Comment

• Originally posted by bm08 View Post

I'm surprised to see Lil Snowman so high!!!
                                            I love it. It's so different, fun and catchy.

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post

yes. Bruno Mars did it with Uptown Funk. But more radios were added in comparison to 2005. Mariah still holds the record for female acts at 212 million audience impressions (BDS) and 251 million on Mediabase.

It's also #1 among solo songs.
                                              That's a shame. WBT and Shake It Off were both huge on radio looking back now. It was so much fun seeing the numbers increase

Comment

• Three very popular Dutch acts recorded Miss You Most At Christmas Time:

Comment

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM7rdrkM5ac

After listening to this Kelly Clarkson x Jennifer Hudson O Holy Night......i don't know how I feel about a Jennifer Hudson collab. Her voice naturally just overpowers and I think she's better on her own songs by herself (similar to John Legend).

I originally said Ari x Mariah x Jennifer if they're singing together and not a new song they should sing O Holy Night......i take that back.

I just hope we do get to see them all together but perhaps a different, new and fresh song. These slow songs just reveals too much of Jennifer's voice which can be a bit jarring.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM7rdrkM5ac

After listening to this Kelly Clarkson x Jennifer Hudson O Holy Night......i don't know how I feel about a Jennifer Hudson collab. Her voice naturally just overpowers and I think she's better on her own songs by herself (similar to John Legend).

I originally said Ari x Mariah x Jennifer if they're singing together and not a new song they should sing O Holy Night......i take that back.

I just hope we do get to see them all together but perhaps a different, new and fresh song. These slow songs just reveals too much of Jennifer's voice which can be a bit jarring.
                                                    I think its separate duets
                                                    mariah/ariana
                                                    mariah/jhud

3 divas on one stage. Mariah ain't going to let anyone upstage her!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X