This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only the Vocal Trinity

Last edited by skylynx; Tue January 19, 2021, 00:05.

Comment

• ^Because You Loved Me didn't debut at #1 though. But yeah, the vocal trinity reigned for 8 months at the top.
      http://oi42.tinypic.com/2m3lnpv.jpg

Follow me on LastFM: http://www.lastfm.es/user/S-Yair

www.instagram.com/sebastiansuaid/

Comment

• Originally posted by dancamz View Post

Are they all arriving with damage? It's just really disappointing to spend that much on these vinyls and wait so long for them and even though they are brand new, they are arriving with damages to the cover...

like normally I'd try get a exchange but given how widespread it seems and how long it would take (and they are sold out) I guess I just keep it

The pic above is the copy I got and the damage. Kinda annoying if it was gonna be damaged that it couldn't least be on the bottom so it's not noticeable... of course it would be the top...

praying for the other vinyls I have coming from her store now if they arrive with damage too :( got Charmbracelet, memoirs, e=mc2, miamtec still to come from there :/
        UPDATE: Ironically they have just emailed saying they have shipped my copies of E=mc2, Charmbracelet, memoirs and elusive... wish me luck for them not being damaged too

Comment

• I don't get the hate for MIAM. Here are a few thoughts of the songs:

Cry - Beautiful melody, with emotional insight into her declining marriage. Love the piano. Agree that parts of the ending belts are strained and forced, and she should have omitted or re-recorded them. But overall a genuine vocal performance.
          Faded - I like it but can honestly get a little boring and sometimes I just fast-forward to that great climax. Love how she uses her whistle here too. Also love the "Always somewhere but you're not there for me" lyric.
          Dedicated - I love it. Nostalgia all over. "I'll just sit right here and sing that good old school shit to ya..." Yes Mariah take on a trip down memory lane. Gorgeous, smooth vocals and masterful whistle run.
          #Beautiful - This honestly should be an R&B classic. What a fresh sound for Mariah, and Miguel compliments her well. "Don't stop 'til you thrill me!" So close to top 10...
          Thirsty - Total guilty pleasure. Not as good as its sister Obsessed, but super catchy in its own right. Love the kiss-off lyrics and that ending belt slaps.
          Make it Look Good - Mariah & Stevie make magic here. The production, the harmonica, the vocals, the lyrics are all superb. Love the fast-paced part the best.
          You're Mine - A cute song with an impressive climax (that chest to whistle transition sent my wig to Pluto - wish she'd do more of those). BUT, terrible terrible single choice and ultimately not that memorable.
          You Don't Know What To Do - One of her best intros ever. Great full chest vocals. Honestly, Wale is mediocre here and his part should have been replaced or cut in half as he doesn't add much to the song. Had the makings of a hit but sadly wasn't pushed properly.
          Supernatural - We Stan MOMRiah. Touching, sweet lyrics about her love for Dembabies and one of her best vocal performances of the era. Those acrobatics live up to the name. "On and on and on and oooooooooon!" Sang it.
          Meteorite - Mariah singing about fame while reminding us why she's the superstar that she is with those fire vocals. Not my favorite song but she lights it up with her voice. "Yeah you gotta turn up all the way!!"
          Camouflage - I appreciate this song for its lyrics but it's not my cup of tea. I tend to skip.
          Money - This song is simple ear candy. Just catchy and fun. It's 5 minutes long and I don't mind.
          One More Try - Love the emotion here, and it's a great song to cover. Honestly, her voice on the verses is perfect and she captures the passion of the lyrics well. But I must agree that her belting is the weakest on the album and she should have redone them on a better vocal day.
          Heavenly - Unpopular opinion maybe, but I love the vocals here. The raspiness works in conveying her struggles while those crazy vocal runs and high notes exemplify her resolve to never give up and give me chills. That climax so full of energy, life, and I love the extraness of it all. Plus A5 belt and G7 whistle? Come on.
          The Art of Letting Go - Yes, this should have been the album title (or at least just gone with "The Elusive Chanteuse") I'm a huge lamb but I cringe at MIAM's full title and I honestly think it hurt the album as first impressions matter. Anyway, this song isn't her best but it has great lyrics and an outstanding climax.

Overall, I love the album and when I listen to it, it evokes a lot of good memories for me. I don't understand the hate for the vocals at all bar one or two songs and some moments here and there. Obviously her 2010's vocals are not going to compare to her prime 90's vocals but she still showed us that she can utilize her full range to great effect. And her pen game here is as strong as ever. I prefer it on the whole to its predecessor Memoirs.

Although I do prefer Caution and I hope she leans more in that musical direction for her next album. Caution Part 2 with better vocals, yes please.

Comment

• Originally posted by sYair View Post
            ^Because You Loved Me didn't debut at #1 though. But yeah, the vocal trinity reigned for 8 months at the top.
            I was kinda outraged then that FIY got album of the year when Daydream didn’t get anything the previous year

Comment

• Originally posted by JeremySpears View Post

That album paved the way.
              For what ?

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

Definitely sex playlist material. From the very first second
                Oh, yeah

It's so sexy but in a mature way. I love it.

Comment

• Originally posted by skylynx View Post

Do we know what Mariah did unfiltered.

So happy that's she's been able to hold the top spot at least until Drake, Adele and Rihanna drops. This year could be record breaking for streaming. The 3 biggest aritsts are releasing and we already have a shocking performance by Olivia.

I also wouldnt count out Lil Nas X with Call Me By Your Name.......i think he thinks it could be his next OTR and will surely line up huge remixes and collabs again
                  Nope, no idea, but over 20M probably.

It's gonna be hard to top Mimi's numbers I feel.

Olivia single was massive and was a phenomenon, basically unprecedented (she broke many Spotify records) yet she was like 4 million aparts from Mariah.

I don't think Drake could achieve that number. Not sure about Adele or Rihanna, maybe, 'cause the big hiatus and the anticipation but still, I'm not so sure.

Mariah surely is gonna do better this year due South Korea counting (and maybe other markets). It's gonna be fun!

Comment

• Originally posted by dancamz View Post
                    Are they all arriving with damage? It's just really disappointing to spend that much on these vinyls and wait so long for them and even though they are brand new, they are arriving with damages to the cover...
                    I'm so sorry.
                    It sucks
                    I don't think all are arriving damaged, but I read on Twitter lots of lambs having the same issue

Comment

• Originally posted by WaitYourTurn View Post
                      Sarah Vaughan all day... I know it’s taste but you can’t compare Buble to Vaughan
                      Yeah, definitely taste is subjective but I don't like Bublé at all.

Originally posted by delapuerta View Post

Vaughan is one of my fav singers
                      Same.
                      She's so unique.

Actually Mariah, Ella & Sarah are my favorite singers/musicians ('cause they're more than just singers tbh). Love me some Nina Simone too.
                      From the new generation Jojo, Tori, Jazmine & India.Arie.
                      And of course I love Ari.

Comment

• Originally posted by WaitYourTurn View Post
                        this song, I wrote off as filler on first listen.

today, I love it more with every listen. It’s got that hypnotic vibe to it
                        I know, it's a grower.
                        I liked it quite a lot when I first heard it, now I'm obsessed and it's in my sex-playlist right after Bliss.

Originally posted by JeremySpears View Post
                        My favorite song on "Caution" Idc Idc
                        One of the best for sure.
                        It's so hard for me to make a ranking 'cause all are +9.
                        Caution & Giving Me Life are the only with 10 status tho.
                        But the rest come all too close and it depends on my mood.

Comment

• They did THAT.

Say what you want about these 3, but no one ever will come close to them.

Originally posted by skylynx View Post
                          Only the Vocal Trinity

Last edited by Shaka; Tue January 19, 2021, 04:39.

Comment

• Someone tell this b!tch that she's a (light lyric) soprano!

RARE: Mariah Carey Calls Herself A Contralto & Talks About Her Voice! (1993)

But gawd, she's so damn beautiful it hurts.

Comment

• I so love her old interviews... ^
                              And when she talks about her voice

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

For what ?
                                The Ballads was the first MC album (at its time) which sold more in the UK than in the USA.

The tides have turned, though, and as it stands:

420,000 - USA
                                250,000 - UK
                                80,000 - Japan
                                40,000 - Brazil
                                25,000 - Canada

My Chart

Comment

• I initially liked Supernatural but can never listen to it anymore because of that bubbling mucous sound by Dem Babies at the beginning. I don't know what it is (whether it is bubbling snot from their nostrils or bubbling/frothing spit from their mouths) but the sound makes me gag and I now immediately skip it if it comes on, just to avoid hearing that sound....

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post

The Ballads was the first MC album (at its time) which sold more in the UK than in the USA.

I think #1 to Infinity has perhaps "sold" more there too?

Wait, nvm. It's just certified there but I dont think it has sold more overall.
                                    See latest news on Reports, Infractions & Bans
                                    See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• Hey MariahMixers,

We are crowdsourcing a "This Day In Music" calendar. If you know of big days in Mariah's career, may you post them here?
                                      https://www.ukmix.org/forum/music-di...-contributions
                                      See latest news on Reports, Infractions & Bans
                                      See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• Originally posted by AlmondBreeze View Post
                                        I initially liked Supernatural but can never listen to it anymore because of that bubbling mucous sound by Dem Babies at the beginning. I don't know what it is (whether it is bubbling snot from their nostrils or bubbling/frothing spit from their mouths) but the sound makes me gag and I now immediately skip it if it comes on, just to avoid hearing that sound....
                                        I’m sorry but this comment made me crack up! I definitely agree there should be a Mariah only cut of this song!

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post

I'm so sorry.
                                          It sucks
                                          I don't think all are arriving damaged, but I read on Twitter lots of lambs having the same issue
                                          Mine arrived ok!

Comment

• Originally posted by sYair View Post
                                            ^Because You Loved Me didn't debut at #1 though. But yeah, the vocal trinity reigned for 8 months at the top.

It didn't but My Heart Will Go On Did.

Technically, Faith Evans is the 3rd female but she did it on a collab (though her hook was the best think about the song).

Though the Vocal Trinity did make it with 3 Solo Female Debuts (Mariah sneaking in with her 2nd before Celine got her first)

It's only fitting that these 3 are the ones to do first.

Imagine the slayage if ABMB also debut at #1 (3 straight #1 from 1 album). It debut unfrotunately at #2.

Comment

• Originally posted by delapuerta View Post

Mine arrived ok!
                                              I already received The Debut Album, MTV Unplugged, Music Box, Daydream, Rainbow, The Emancipation of Mimi & The Rarities, all of them in good conditions!

Comment

• MIAM is also one of my favorite Mariah albums. The only songs I tend to skip are Money and Supernatural.
                                                My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• Originally posted by bm08 View Post

I think #1 to Infinity has perhaps "sold" more there too?

Wait, nvm. It's just certified there but I dont think it has sold more overall.
                                                  Infinity has probably sold 70k in the UK by now. It was at 82k a few years ago in US.

I think Infinity has reached 100k in the USA by now. I believe her next albums which are going to get certified in the UK will be GH (3xP), Rainbow (1xP) and Memoirs (1xG).

I refuse to believe that Rainbow is not in reach to 300,000 copies sold. It sold something like 250k in its first 2 years (1999 and 2000)... And 21 years later and with the inclusion of streaming...it must be on its way. (I also believe that it sold something between 2001-2004).

As for Memoirs... that had hit 82k or 85k in EARLY 2010. It is most likely reaching Gold level this year. GH it her strongest catalogue seller... it occasionally makes the top 1000 / 500 on UK Itunes and I assume it is also somewhat sought after on streaming services and amazon. Otherwise... Infinity would benefit - if we assume that it has replaced GH as her trademark cmpilation album - and then that would go Gold.

Anyway, I believe there are some cool certs on its way in 2021.
                                                  My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post

The tides have turned, though, and as it stands:

420,000 - USA
                                                    250,000 - UK
                                                    80,000 - Japan
                                                    40,000 - Brazil
                                                    25,000 - Canada
                                                    The UK love those ballady compilations so I am not surprised it sold well. Coming for platinum at some point ?. Have you seen how much Whitneys TUC has sold in the UK? I don't think it was actually released in the US but in the UK it sold far better than her original GH. It was on the chart for most of this year too.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X