This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by skylynx View Post

Really? She strikes me as a B/C-Grade actress or an up and comer in terms of general public awareness.
    I mean, she is the most famous out of the stranger things cast and she keeps releasing films like Enola and now kong vs Godzilla. She has 42 millions followers on instagram and her post gets between 2 millions to 3 millions likes and she has a successful cosmetics line. Thats why I said she can help to visualise any mariah project!

Comment

• Originally posted by skylynx View Post
      It's quite sad that an artist of Mariah's caliber is reduced to having to fund her own projects like this and releases like MC30 and Rarities barely make a ripple outside the fandom.

Goes to show how much appetite there really is for her content outside Christmas. It's almost diminishing returns and wasted effort commercially these days....hopefully she's doing it for the love of the fans and to maintain her relevance still being in the business.

She has herself to blame for this at the end of the day for trusting the wrong people and mis-managing her career for decades.

She recovered once with TEOM but the older you get the harder it is to convince these big labels to pump in money for your releases.

To think that disgusting artists like Eminem can still score hit albums just goes to show that quality is not always it.

Hopefully her example can teach younger artists to better manage their careers.
      You seem to blame all in the way Mariah has managed her career, and you are comparing Eminem ( a male rapper ) to a female in music industry. Mariah is a 50 years old female in an industry where woman are treated like rubbish when they get to a certain age. I mean, tell me what other artist from the 90s or earlier is enjoying the same popularity as Mariah is ( in their 50s). So maybe the problem is not all about the way her career has been managed but how the industry works.

I mean, dont get me wrong, Mariah's career has had very bad moment in terms of management but I dont think it is all about that.
      Last edited by Yerac; Tue February 2, 2021, 16:51.

Comment

• She's a beginner... a teenager... she's not a B/C grade anything. She's creating a career

Comment

• Originally posted by Yerac View Post

You seem to blame all in the way Mariah has managed her career, and you are comparing Eminem ( a male rapper ) to a female in music industry. Mariah is a 50 years old female in an industry where woman are treated like rubbish when they get to a certain age. I mean, tell me what other artist from the 90s or earlier is enjoying the same popularity as Mariah is ( in their 50s). So maybe the problem is not all about the way her career has been managed but how the industry works.

I mean, dont get me wrong, Mariah's career has had very bad moment in terms of management but I dont think it is all about that.
          As foul as Eminem is he's still able to maintain his core fans and there's enough interest in the general public to give his albums decent sales comparable with even the youngest rappers out there.

Mariah has neither the label support nor the general public support nowadays for her content. Which is sad.

I agree, ageism and bias against women (particularly those that have been easy targets like Mariah) are rampant though Mariah has not exactly covered herself in glory with the business choices she's made. She has not nurtured her brand nor has done enough to keep her brand from being dragged through the mud.

None of her business ventures post Sony scream top tier A-list even before the Stella era. Just think about it.....her tours neither have the production quality as most A-list legends (if you can't dance, focus on the drama or great visuals or a big band/symphony), her home shopping ventures were awful mums and dads products, her perfume collection didn't scream quality to me (tacky concept and colours that cater to a very small audience), those god awfl tv series and Christmas specials were C-Grade at best. She is not considered a fashion or movie icon which limits her apperances at top tier events (no MET gala, no big movie premieres, no red carpet experiences).

As much as she does on social media......i don't think she's getting bang for her buck (i.e. those likes do not translate to sales and streams).......and that's because she's good to have a laugh with but nothing more in the GP's eyes......they're all waiting for her next downfall.

It took TEOM to shut the hatters (only for a bit) but the damage was irrevocable done when she played along to the diva card in the late 90s and people were out for blood to see her downfall which happened in Glitter. She never really recovered in the general public's eyes.
          Last edited by skylynx; Tue February 2, 2021, 17:25.

Comment

• I love Millie!! I really love her on Enola Holmes and Stranger things and I think she will have a great career in Hollywood

Comment

• Originally posted by bm08 View Post

Much of MC30 is from her own pockets. This has adjusted my expectations and appreciation significantly.

I do want her to set up either a way to do without a label completely OR get a better label budget somehow.
              She's been regarded as a legacy act for several years now. In total, MIAMTEC's poor sales and the drama surrounding the album, Rockefeller 2014, and NYE 2016 tanked any major bargaining power she had. As the children say these days, she fell off. Hard.

I doubt that there is a label that would really invest in her at this point, but does she need one? She can't draw a general audience outside of Christmas, her saving grace. Sony Legacy Recordings handles her back catalog. Maybe that's the sufficient. She can always tour and make major coin doing it.

She could also sell her catalog to an investor who can do a lot with it, as many of the legends are currently doing. I sincerely doubt that she would sell it, but this economy is not kind to anyone.
              Last edited by banksy; Tue February 2, 2021, 17:25.

Comment

I mean, she is the most famous out of the stranger things cast and she keeps releasing films like Enola and now kong vs Godzilla. She has 42 millions followers on instagram and her post gets between 2 millions to 3 millions likes and she has a successful cosmetics line. Thats why I said she can help to visualise any mariah project!
                She's definately an up and comer waiting for that big smash that would push her to the A-List.

She's not heavily promoted as the human star of Godzilla vs. Kong.......her name still needs to get out there. She has time, she's still young.

Comment

• I do hope it has nothing to do with SUD.
                  Idc in the least.
                  Just a DEVIANT, PERTURBED, DERANGED, MACABRE, MANIAC, LUNATIC, IRRATIONAL PSYCHO-TO-BE.

Comment

• Lets not forget were dealing with a woman that was once going to make a big announcement and it turned out to be her having a new puppy. Anything is possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by GlenMarley View Post
                      Lets not forget were dealing with a woman that was once going to make a big announcement and it turned out to be her having a new puppy. Anything is possible.
                      LOL, when did that happen. On Live TV? The audacity!

Comment

• My dream dance remix collaboration would be Mark Ronson, Calvin Harris, or SG Lewis

They are the Morales of now, with more organic instrumentation, more disco less techno

Comment

• Reading some of the recent posts on the status of Mariah's career, and I can't help but unfortunately agree. It's so sad to me that there's no appetite for new music from her outside of Christmas. I mean, there really isn't for any of the 90's divas, but Mariah I feel had a chance to buck that trend (at one point). She got a big break with TEOM, and E=MC2 was another opportunity to at least partially stay on top. That era started out super strong with her promoting everywhere, looking great, best album first week sales of her career - then she married Nick Cannon and released "Bye Bye" and it was all downhill from there (save maybe for Obsessed, which struggled to get to #7). I honestly blame the mismanagement during E=MC2, because I feel if that album had another hit or two outside of TMB, it might have helped re-establish her as being consistently successful. Now, many look at TEOM as a fluke outside of her iconic 90's discography and never having flopped until Glitter. If only "Migrate" was released right after TMB...

I've been a hardcore fan since Honey in 97, and I will always support her music. She's the best female artist of all time. Even though I think some of it would've been unavoidable regardless of what "crappened" during/starting with E=MC2 (ageism against women, declining album sales in general, singles just debuting at #1 then falling like Taylor's last few), I feel Mariah was/is capable of so much more.

Maybe she'll prove us all wrong and still have a Cher/Believe moment...

Comment

Hahaha I wish! So we can listen to a nornal song outside xmas and the bop that is Oh Santa in xmas lol I need a duet of them so badly
                            I know! I feel the same!

Comment

allygdale your obsession for Skydiving is starting to get worried me lol every post i see from you it has skydiving on it
                              ally loves it but we're not getting Skydiving She won't make an appearance like that to announce that she're releasing a left-over track from 2009.

She didn't release any "new"/unheard/unreleased song for #MC30, only a few remixes but not even re-sung.

The only way we can have Skydiving is with Rarities 2.0

Comment

• Einstein did irreparable damage to her careeer, you’re absolutely right, Johnson512. If that project was managed as well as EOM, Kween could have had a line of consistent hits (instead of just a few one-offs like Obsessed and #B) up until the beginning of the streaming era.

Comment

We had a picture of Millie and Mariah together prior Xmas at Mariahs house where Millie seems to be posing with a pijama, so we really dont know how long they have been working together behind the scenes dahhling
                                  It was way before Xmas.
                                  August 17th.

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post
                                    I feel you are right about this. She probably did have several songs for MIAM in 2012. In the end some of those songs didn't make MIAM (like Save The Day and Triumphant), but if Triumphant had been a huge hit, I'm sure there would have been an album in 2012.
                                    She started to recording vocals from MIAM in '12 (her best ones) but Triumphant wasn't part of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by banksy View Post

She could also sell her catalog to an investor who can do a lot with it, as many of the legends are currently doing. I sincerely doubt that she would sell it, but this economy is not kind to anyone.
                                      I personally would hate this.

She is so close to getting her masters back from Sony given copyright law. So having everything under her own complete control, she can technically do the investment stuff on her own terms by setting up her own firm.
                                      See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                                      See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• Originally posted by allygdale View Post
                                        My dream dance remix collaboration would be Mark Ronson, Calvin Harris, or SG Lewis

They are the Morales of now, with more organic instrumentation, more disco less techno
                                        I like Calvin.

Comment

• I stan Skydiving.
                                          Just a DEVIANT, PERTURBED, DERANGED, MACABRE, MANIAC, LUNATIC, IRRATIONAL PSYCHO-TO-BE.

Comment

• Originally posted by bm08 View Post
                                            I personally would hate this.

She is so close to getting her masters back from Sony given copyright law. So having everything under her own complete control, she can technically do the investment stuff on her own terms by setting up her own firm.
                                            I agree.
                                            She would never do that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post
                                              Einstein did irreparable damage to her careeer, you’re absolutely right, Johnson512. If that project was managed as well as EOM, Kween could have had a line of consistent hits (instead of just a few one-offs like Obsessed and #B) up until the beginning of the streaming era.
                                              During E=MC2 right up to the release of Bye Bye she was still considdered one of the hottest artist to be releasing music....though due to poor single choices afterwards she started to fall back from guaranteed hit #1 or at least Top 5 hitmaker to one that has a chance of doing it. The aura she had from TEOM faded after the poor reception to Bye Bye.

I could still remember some articles proclaiming Obsessed to be a potential Song of the Summer so there's definately some interest leading up to MOAIA though again, she dropped the ball with another stupid single release.....though honestly, that album I think lacked great singles the way E=MC2 did.

I think she still had some goodwill right up to #Beautiful but that was the last straw. Crappy video and a long delayed (and dissapointing) album was the nail in the coffin.....and before we know it the music trend raced away from her. RnB was long dead when electro and dance took over. Rightfully or wrongly her stubborness and misjudgement of the way music was going costed her during the 10s as well.

Comment

• I'm really disappointed at these so called 1080p videos recently. All they did was basically sharpened up the image and smoothed out the lines in between.

Take for example the Touch My Body video....the colour grading on it is still very off (unnatural) and saturated and there's hardly any definition in the face the way you truly experience 1080p.

This is cost cutting or not even trying really.

Comment

• Some of you are gettin' a bad day it seems

Comment

• Originally posted by allygdale View Post
                                                    My dream dance remix collaboration would be Mark Ronson, Calvin Harris, or SG Lewis

SG Lewis is a great pick, but I think unlikely. Mark Ronson maybe, but that would have been better a few years ago even. I don't see him giving her a hit now, but would probably be quality music nonetheless.

Ally, your tastes generally align with mine even outside of our little world of Mariah music haha :-)
                                                    You donít have to be afraid of what you are!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X