X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cmeyes328
    • 31 Jan 2015

Originally posted by InFamous

So you're a producer and you have the chance to give a song to JLO or Chante Moore ? Who do you choose. JLO obviously. It's business. I mean Jordin Sparks and Kylie Minogue were given the same song with different lyrics. Diane Warren gave Mariah and Toni identical songs. Also Ashanti has stated that she referenced the track for JLO and was paid and credited for her contributions, as she was legally required to be.

Also the Firecracker sample did not belong to Mariah, as I said its been used a hundred times prior. JLO had to ask for it and be given permission to use it. So there was no "stealing". Did Tommy plan the whole thing? Absolutely. But there was nothing illegal about what was done. Beyonce did the same thing to Toni, Toni whinged about it but legally she had no case. Same with Mariah. The only person who can be "stolen" from is the original artist. Mariah should have just gone ahead and released Loverboy as it was intended to be released because the irony is the JLo version of I'm real which was popular wasn't even the one with the sample, it was the remix that took it to number one.
    Name another song that sampled it.

Comment

• allygdale
      Superstar
      • 17 Mar 2013

I wonder if it is too late to ask Rosie for HQ footage of her performances for a short live EP, honestly my favorite live performances EVER that I have been dying to hear and watch in high quality glory

Close My Eyes - April 29, 98
      Petals, Rainbow - Feb 8, 2000

I think this is possible because The Weeknd put his SNL performances on a bonus edition of his album
      Last edited by allygdale; Sun July 19, 2020, 23:09.

Comment

• delapuerta
        delapuerta commented
        Editing a comment
        love the idea. Didn't she sing I still believe there too?
    • cmeyes328
      • 31 Jan 2015

Originally posted by delapuerta
      And the irony is the remix of that song, I'm real, is a copy of "If we"
      Yep. If anyone needs a refresher on Irv Gotti’s comments on this:

Comment

• InFamous
        Legend
        • 29 Sep 2016

I clearly said that the whole thing was planned and ochestrated by Tommy but in legal terms nothing was "stolen". Ja Rule brought his sound to Mariah. Producers give the same sound to different artists all the time. That Ja Rule/Irv Gotti sound was theirs and there was nothing illegal about them using it with other artists.

They even recycled it for Thalia for her attempt at crossing over in 2003!
        Last edited by InFamous; Sun July 19, 2020, 23:38.
        Billie Eilish claims her second Number 1 single with What Was I Made For? , scoring a last-minute victory over Dua Lipa’s Dance The Night.

Comment

• allygdale
          Superstar
          • 17 Mar 2013

Y’all how many times are you going to let it stir the pot over the same thing again and again

On another note, I wonder what she meant by acapella moments aside from All In Your Mind, because “The Roof” and “Bliss” acapella or even stripped would be heaven
          Last edited by allygdale; Sun July 19, 2020, 23:20.

Comment

• InFamous
            Legend
            • 29 Sep 2016

Originally posted by cmeyes328

Name another song that sampled it.

Look I am not saying that Tommy did not try to sabotage Mariah around that time - he clearly did. But the sample was not "stolen". Mariah didn't own it, it had been licenced and used many times before her. Also Irv Gotti was happy to do that record for JLO at the time and get his coin. If he was so worried about Mariah he should have said NO, when Tommy asked him. Now this seems to be a volatile topic so this is my last post on it.
            Billie Eilish claims her second Number 1 single with What Was I Made For? , scoring a last-minute victory over Dua Lipa’s Dance The Night.

Comment

• stevyy
              Site Supporter
              • 14 May 2005

So you're a producer and you have the chance to give a song to JLO or Chante Moore ? Who do you choose. JLO obviously. It's business. I mean Jordin Sparks and Kylie Minogue were given the same song with different lyrics. Diane Warren gave Mariah and Toni identical songs. Also Ashanti has stated that she referenced the track for JLO and was paid and credited for her contributions, as she was legally required to be.
              Chante Moore was an established artist at the time, J.Lo had 0 music out. I would have given the song to Chante.

Mariah also took issue with J.Lo because she used someone else's vocals and pretended them to be hers... like... lipsyncing to someone else singing... is also something that should have been an issue for Jennifer herself.
              My Chart

Comment

• InFamous
                InFamous commented
                Editing a comment
                You would have made a mistake then. Chante had a one cute Top 10 before disappearing into obscurity.
            • allygdale
              Superstar
              • 17 Mar 2013

Does anyone know which Full Crew remix this is? The sample on the original is iconic but I love this version equally, it is on the level of some of her re-recorded remixes in that regard

Their My All remix is cool too but it don’t have ish on the So So Def Stay A While remix

Comment

• stevyy
                Site Supporter
                • 14 May 2005

Certain people need to learn to read. I clearly said that the whole thing was planned and ochestrated by Tommy but in legal terms nothing was "stolen". Ja Rule brought his sound to Mariah. Producers give the same sound to different artists all the time. That Ja Rule/Irv Gotti sound was theirs and there was nothing illegal about them using it with other artists.

They even recycled it for Thalia for her attempt at crossing over in 2003!
                So, Tommy's phone call to Irv Gotti was pure business and maybe a coincidence that Tommy specifically mentioned Mariah in the same call? (according to Gotti himself)?

U try to normalize these shady things. That's what it is... shady and tactical and messy.

If you can't see it... your problem. At least the Japanese branch of SONY Music took notice and scolded the man.
                My Chart

Comment

• InFamous
                  InFamous commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I literally said three times that Tommy clearly tried to sabotage her, but from a business/legal point of view there was nothing illegal or stolen. It was pure treachery but no laws were broken.
              • cmeyes328
                • 31 Jan 2015

Look I am not saying that Tommy did not try to sabotage Mariah around that time - he clearly did. But the sample was not "stolen". Mariah didn't own it, it had been licenced and used many times before her. Also Irv Gotti was happy to do that record for JLO at the time and get his coin. If he was so worried about Mariah he should have said NO, when Tommy asked him. Now this seems to be a volatile topic so this is my last post on it.
                Fair point. I didn’t know about this other sample and it helps to have the context. Agree it’s def not illegal, but doesn’t make it right. MC was clearly inspired by her own musical interest when she thought of the sample and the same idea being used around the same time put her in a tough spot since Glitter movie was already filmed. It literally was the straw that led to her “breakdown.” As a lamb, I can’t just dismiss it as no big deal, sorry.

Closing thought is that MC did release the sample in the remix, which clearly captures her thoughts on the subject:
                "Hate on me much as you want to / You can't do what the **** I do / Bitches be emulating me daily"

Comment

• allygdale
                  Superstar
                  • 17 Mar 2013

Nicki the person aside, Up Out My Face remix is an amazing collaboration, video and song, it sounds so organic despite them recoding separately and the video is easily in her Top 10 best

That remix of it would have been just as big as Obsessed if it were released right after it

—-

I wonder what’s in store for “I Stay In Love” and “Obsessed” since both were teased and all the released remixes are already available on streaming, maybe she did re-recorded versions never released?
                  Last edited by allygdale; Sun July 19, 2020, 23:54.

Comment

• delapuerta
                    Superstar
                    • 04 Dec 2014

She wasn't the 1st using it, but that doesn't add anyting to this situation.
                    Mariah was in one of her worst moments of her life and slme gere says that she should have balls and release it.

Mariah's had balls and she's a survivor but it's pretty easy to say what others should have done. Mottola was one of the most powerful people in the industry at that time, never forget that

Comment

• mm2912
                      Superstar
                      • 04 Jun 2016

Originally posted by wolfeagle
                      What I would actually kill for would be an EP of live performances from the Rainbow tour. Her voice during that era was otherworldly. Half agile, half husky and 100% creative with runs! Heck, I'd take a whole album of performances from the Rainbow tour. Mariah, if you're reading this...
                      Rainbow it’s my favorite era vocally

Comment

• stevyy
                        Site Supporter
                        • 14 May 2005

Originally posted by allygdale
                        Nicki the person aside, Up Out My Face remix is an amazing collaboration, video and song, it sounds so organic despite them recoding separately and the video is easily in her Top 10 best

That remix of it would have been just as big as Obsessed if it were released right after it

—-

I wonder what’s in store for “I Stay In Love” and “Obsessed” since both were teased and all the released remixes are already available on streaming, maybe she did re-recorded versions never released?
                        I love that UOMF remix... Nicki and Mariah actually had a real connection and great chemistry in the video... whatever happened between them... it wasn't worth the fight.
                        My Chart

Comment

• allygdale
                          Superstar
                          • 17 Mar 2013

Many pages back people were talking about how her vocal technique improved after the debut, speculating about training after the debut when we already know she trained herself in SING SING, but there are some things not taken into consideration,

ESPECIALLY that at the time of this performance, she had only recently given up smoking two years before, and it takes 5-10 years for the lungs to clear, which lines up with Daydream era where she peaked in range and clarity and breath control

Some also seem to forget time and again, even to this day where the same is true as evinced by SSF, Vegas, Caution tours, quarantine snippets and performance, that Mariah’s higher belting, which along with whistle notes was the showcase of the Emotions era, has always been the strongest, most faithful part of her voice

I was dying when y’all kept begging her to stop using reverb which actually emulates the gift god gave her in nature since sound reflects everywhere except in a vocal isolation booth, and to sing lower, especially when we got that clip of her singing “Giving Me Life” flawlessly in a much higher key over the damn phone
                          Last edited by allygdale; Mon July 20, 2020, 00:26.

Comment

• InFamous
                            Legend
                            • 29 Sep 2016

Originally posted by cmeyes328

Closing thought is that MC did release the sample in the remix, which clearly captures her thoughts on the subject:
                            "Hate on me much as you want to / You can't do what the **** I do / Bitches be emulating me daily"
                            This is why we love MC. The fact is that at the end of the day she was bigger than Tommy, better than him, better than JLO or whoever else he tried to use to mess with her. And she showed it by keeping going, keeping strong and coming back bigger and better than ever in 2005 when JLO was already starting to fade. So at the end of the day Mariah won.

Comment

• bm08
                              • 07 Apr 2013

I wonder at what point they are going to update her RIAA certifications in the MC30 celebrations? We know they did it for her singles and compilations already.
                              See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• bm08
                                • 07 Apr 2013

See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• DNK
                                  Personal Assistant
                                  • 11 Jan 2018

Mariah Carey the best singer of all time
                                  My Queen! My Goddess! My Idol!
                                  Forever and always!