Neil Young

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neil Young

Neil Young Rolls Out Plans For New Crazy Horse LP, ‘Tonight’s The Night’ Film

Neil Young may not be touring until next year, but that doesn’t mean he isn’t keeping busy. His new Crazy Horse album Colorado is coming out in October, and he announced that leadoff single, “Rainbow of Colors,” will arrive this month. “Ten new songs ranging from around 3 minutes to over 13 minutes,” Young wrote on his Neil Young Archives website. “We hope you love this new album as much as we do.”

Also in the works is a documentary about the creation of Colorado entitled Mountaintop Sessions. “It is a wild one folks, no hold barred,” Young wrote. “You will see the whole process just as it went down! Worts and all! I don’t think a film about this subject with the openness and intensity we have captured has ever been seen. You can be the judge of that, because Shakey Pictures’ Mountaintop Sessions masterfully shot by our cinematographer C.K. Vollick, will be released in over 100 theaters world-wide the week our album Colorado debuts, in October.”

Young also announced that on Wednesday, he’ll roll out a new video and essay reflecting on the creation of his 1973 masterpiece Tonight’s The Night via the Neil Young Archives. ”With the 12-minute Tonight’s The Night video and that story, you should have a more clear look at Tonight’s The Night than you have ever had in the history of this recording!” he wrote. “I know it was a long time ago, almost 50 years, but I’m still here and it is still so fresh in my mind.”

Earlier this month, Young announced he was postponing a planned arena tour with Crazy Horse to focus on an ambitious slate of archival films. The few live dates he does have planned for 2019 include the charity show Harvest Moon — A Gathering in Lake Hughes, California along with Father John Misty, Norah Jones on September 14th, Farm Aid in East Troy, Wisconsin on September 21st and a Farm Aid warmup show at the Murat Theater in Indianapolis, Indiana on September 19th.
    >>>>>>>>>>> LAST.FM <<<<<<<<<

Neil Young and Crazy Horse Detail New Album Colorado, Share New Song: Listen

Neil Young and Crazy Horse have announced officially a new album. Colorado is out October 25 via Reprise. In an April post to the Neil Young Archives, Young wrote, “We believe we have a great Crazy Horse album, one to stand alongside Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, Rust Never Sleeps, Sleeps With Angels, Psychedelic Pill and all the others.” Below, listen to their new song “Milky Way.”

The current lineup of Crazy Horse is: Neil Young (guitars, vocals, piano, vibes, harmonica), Nils Lofgren (guitars, vocals, pump organ), Ralph Molina (drums, vocals), and Billy Talbot (bass, vocals). They recorded Colorado mostly live in studio in the titular state. Neil Young produced the album with John Hanlon.

A movie documenting the making of Colorado will be one of the 15 films Young recently announced. On September 9, Young and co-writer Phil Baker will publish a book titled To Feel the Music: A Songwriter’s Mission to Save High-Quality Audio.

Colorado:

01 Think of Me
    02 She Showed Me Love
    03 Olden Days
    04 Help Me Lose My Mind
    05 Green Is Blue
    06 Shut It Down
    07 Milky Way
    08 Eternity
    09 Rainbow of Colors
    10 I Do

Comment

Comment

Comment

Neil Young Preps Legendary Unreleased 1975 LP ‘Homegrown’ For 2020 Release

Neil Young’s legendary unreleased album Homegrown will finally come out in 2020. He recorded it in 1975 and was on the verge of releasing it, going as far as commissioning cover art, when he decided at the last minute to shelf it in favor of Tonight’s The Night.

“A record full of love lost and explorations,” Young wrote on the Neil Young Archives. “A record that has been hidden for decades. Too personal and revealing to expose in the freshness of those times…The unheard bridge between Harvest and Comes a Time, Homegrown is coming to NYA first in 2020.”

Young made the announcement in a post on his Neil Young Archives website paired with a video that shows his longtime producer John Hanlon working on it. “Mr. J. Hanlon is seen here mastering Homegrown in an all analog chain,” Young writes. “This is the way records were made when we started out. This is the way we made them sound great. We were told that this was impossible now, the Homegrown tapes were too damaged to use; we had to use Digital. We didn’t agree. We did not accept. We painstakingly restored the analog masters of Homegrown.”

Young originally recorded Homegrown at a time his career when new songs were coming to him at an incredible pace, many of them inspired by his painful split with girlfriend Carrie Snodgress. Warner Bros. loved the results and felt it would be another bestseller following the relative commercial disappointments of Time Fades Away and On the Beach. “It was a little too personal,” Young told Rolling Stone‘s Cameron Crowe in 1975. “It scared me. I’ve never released any of those. And I probably never well. I think I’d be too embarrassed to put them out. They’re a little too real.”

o exact track listing has ever surfaced, but during the sessions he did record songs like “Love Is a Rose,” “Homegrown” and “Stars of Bethlehem,” which surfaced on later albums . Other songs leaked out over the years or were played it concert, including “Try” and “Homefires,” while others have never been heard before. He was joined on the sessions by Emmylou Harris, Levon Helm, Ben Keith and Robbie Robertson.

The track listing of the 2020 edition of Homegrown hasn’t been announced, but sharp-eyed fans noticed a Post-it Note on John Hanlon’s console in the video with the following songs listed on it: “Separate Ways,” “Try,” “Mexico,” “Love Is a Rose,” “Homegrown,” “Florida,” “Kansas,” “We Don’t Smoke It,” “White Line,” “Vacancy,” “Little Wing” and “Star of Bethlehem.” “We Don’t Smoke It” has never been heard by fans, but you can hear a bit of it on the announcement video.

Comment

Neil Young Details 2020 Archival Releases

Neil Young shared a New Year’s Day note offering fans an update on some of the archival projects he’s prepping for 2020. “These pieces are a labor of love,” Young wrote on Neil Young Archives. “Every morning I wake up with a full plate of things to do to keep me off the street and as a result, off the road. It’s good to stop and regroup, gather energy and openness for what could be next.”

Young highlighted two projects, Way Down in the Rust Bucket and Greendale Live, although spoke more about the latter. That project will chronicle Young and Crazy Horse’s performance of their 2003 rock opera, Greendale, in Toronto, and will reportedly comprise a live album and concert film.

Young said they’re in the “final editing stages” of Greendale Live, and added of the show itself, “We took it all around North America in 2003, set up that massive set over 80 times. Now we are preparing it to share through NYA and theaters. A Greendale Live album will be part of the release.”

As for Way Down in the Rust Bucket, Young didn’t offer any new updates about the project, which he announced back in September. At the time, Young said his archival team had unearthed “a one of a kind” Crazy Horse Show at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz, California, produced and directed by LA Johnson and recorded by J. Hanlon.

“With six cameras rolling, Crazy Horse lit into one of is greatest performances of all time… and no one knew it until it was very recently discovered,” Young said. “There are a lot of things in the Archives that we know we have to see, but this one had slipped by… under our radar… until now. Forgotten between Ragged Glory and Weld, it had escaped us.”

Although he didn’t mention it in the New Year’s Day note, Young is also set to finally drop his unreleased album, Homegrown, this year. Young announced the album’s arrival back in November, but in a quick update at the end of December, he shared a photo of the vinyl test pressing and said Homegrown would be his first release on Reprise in 2020. An exact release date, however, has yet to be announced.

Comment

Homegrown, unreleased 70s album, announced for Record Store Day 2020 (april 18)

https://recordstoreday.co.uk/release...20/neil-young/

Format:
              1 x 140gm Black Vinyl
              Label:
              Reprise

Comment

Neil Young Shares Release Dates for Five Archival Projects

Back in December, Neil Young detailed the wealth of unreleased projects in his archives. At the time, the folk icon asked devoted fans to vote on what they’d like to see freed from the vault, and Young has apparently listened to those requests. Today, he’s revealed the release dates for not one, not two, but five archival projects coming over the next few months.

As detailed on his Neil Young Archives website, the veteran rocker first confirmed his previously shelved 1975 acoustic album, Homegrown, will arrive on April 18th. That happens to be Record Store Day, though the vinyl release isn’t explicitly described as an official part of the annual event. Calling the long-teased album as “the one that got away,” Young said, “[Homegrown] is all analog! The purest sound. Hear the vinyl. Get a nice phonograph player. This is the record to do that on!”

Next up will be Return to Greendale, a live album captured during Young and Crazy Horse’s 2003 tour performing their rock opera Greendale in full. That arrives June 19th, followed by the much-anticipated box set Archives Volume 2 on July 24th. The live project Rust Bucket, capturing a 1990 performance with Crazy Horse, drops next October 16th. Young’s slate of 2020 releases will then conclude on November 27th with Young Shakespeare. As previously reported, Shakespeare captures a solo performance from Young at Stratford, Connecticut’s Shakespeare Theater on January 22nd, 1971.

Of course, this is all in addition to Young’s recently announced After the Gold Rush 50th anniversary deluxe reissue, expected out some time in September. Footage from the Shakespeare performance was initially believed to be include with the reissue, though it’s unclear if the separate release will change those plans.

Comment

Neil Young‘s unreleased album Homegrown will be issued on CD and vinyl next month.

Originally scheduled for release in 1975, the album has remained in the vaults since that time. Young calls the warm, semi-acoustic records “the unheard bridge between Harvest and Comes a Time”.

Seven of the songs are previously unreleased on any album, while different versions of five songs would appear on later Neil Young albums (such as American Stars ‘n Bars, Decade and Hawks & Doves).

The vinyl edition was originally going to be a Record Store Day release, but that version (which was still black vinyl but included a print of the album cover and a printed inner sleeve) is now available in June along with the standard vinyl, but only via participating RSD stores.

Homegrown is released on 19 June 2020.

Comment

Homegrown has been released today.

Comment

Working...
                    X