No announcement yet.

Aaliyah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^^ I agree with the whole post! Altough my favourite songs with Aaliyah are only singles, her discography is really impressive!

1. We Need A Resolution
    2. Miss You
    3. Try Again
    4. More Than A Woman
    5. Rock The Boat
    Luc

I have hatred towards the entire world,
    and you are no exception

Comment

Listen to this mash-up!!!

Aaliyah - We Need A Resolution (Ciara - Go Girl Remix)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyzxyddbagY

I'm obsessed with it!
      Luc

and you are no exception

Comment

Originally posted by Vindrag
        ^^ I agree with the whole post! Altough my favourite songs with Aaliyah are only singles, her discography is really impressive!

1. We Need A Resolution
        2. Miss You
        3. Try Again
        4. More Than A Woman
        5. Rock The Boat
        These songs have been so intense during almost 2 years now, so it does take a while to go from one Aaliyah song to the next one. But I can now add It's Whatever to that list of songs!

She sounds so comfortable, but not self-conscious.
        She never oversings, great songwriting!
        I love it!
        Luc

and you are no exception

Comment

Yeah definitely Aaliyah was getting better with every album. "Age Ain't Nuthin' But A Number" was hits+filler, "One In A Million" was far more cohesive as a whole but it had its fair share of filler and I think she delivered her best and most complete work with "Aaliyah". Which makes her passing even more tragic. On the other hand her passing gave the opportunity to people to appreciate her music, the sad thing is that "Aaliyah" was completely slept on before her death, so no I don't think she would have been huge if she was alive today, frankly none of the '90s R&B divas are although all of them are still releasing good material
          jio CHARTS NOW:13/7/2020:https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...0#post10430510

Comment

And her passing might've also created an exxagerated picture of her music, because the emotional level rises alot due to such a terrible "accident". I'm not sure, I have not given Aaliyah's albums that proper listen yet, but I hear songs from left and right now and then, it's quite obvious that "Aaliyah" was her most creative album, and that it contained alot of substance. As if the sound was unfamiliar, but still sounded contemporary at that time?

Sad to hear it was slept on before her death!

One thing is for sure, she definitely knew how to control her singing! It's always very pure, confident and humble - and most of all her voice expresses alot!

(But I wonder if this is also a result of her as an "angel", that's passed away?)
            Luc

and you are no exception

Comment

Yeah possibly. I was a big fan of R&B/pop in the '90s (I'm not anymore) and I knew Aaliyah's hits but "Aaliyah" was the first album I purchased by her (I bought it before her passing). After she died I immediately bought the other two and I have to say I wasn't impressed (although "One In A Million" is a good album). Unlike almost all other '90s R&B divas Aaliyah reached her quality peak in the '00s.

Yeah she definitely could sing, then again in the '90s all R&B divas could. Not hating but I find Aaliyah's use of her more limited voice a much more pleasant experience than, say, Beyonce's constant acrobatics or Rihanna's simply acceptable voice. The difference in singing quality from the '90s to the '00s is simply huge
              jio CHARTS NOW:13/7/2020:https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...0#post10430510

Comment

I was the biggest Aaliyah fan around late 1999, when she released "Are You That Somebody?" She was so beautiful and the Timbaland sound was so fresh at that time. Even her outfits at that time were really good, she has a classy image too.

Comment

This year will mark Aaliyah's 10th death anniversary. :(
                  DISCOGS | LAST.FM | INSTAGRAM

Comment

Originally posted by Baditude
                    God, everytime someone dies they're suddenly the greatest thing ever. I agree she had great material and was very talented. She wasn't even that big of a superstar. She was never bigger than Beyonce or Rihanna. Even in her prime.
                    Omg I thought I was the same one who felt like this lol.
                    Forever Young

Comment

Originally posted by Baditude
                      Her prime was her album Aaliyah. You never know when they've reached their prime until they stop releasing albums. What if her material just all of a sudden was crap after Aaliyah? Alanis Morissette reached her prime critically and commerciallly with her 3rd album "Jagged Little Pill". So why couldn't Aaliyah have reached her prime with her 3rd album.
                      Obviously, because you can't gauge her peak and relevance since she already passed away! There's obviously no new material to compare the Aaliyah album to afterwards!

Comment

But even then she wasn't THAT big. She was only big in the r'n'b market..not a global star.

I don'teven think she has a numbber 1 song?
                        Forever Young

Comment

She wasn't a global superstar, but she was just on her way to becoming a big star at that time. In 2000, she had her biggest hit "Try Again" which went to #1 in the Hot 100. During that time, she started getting recognized in the Grammys by getting nominations for "Are You That Somebody?" and "Try Again". She was also on her way to break out in movies like Romeo Must Die, The Queen of the Damned and The Matrix sequels. She even won Best Female Video in the 2000 MTV Video Music Awards, wherein she beat out bigger stars like Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Macy Gray and Toni Braxton.

During those years up until her death (1999-2001), it's safe to say that she was already on her way to becoming a big artist and actress.

Comment

Originally posted by GetBack
                            She wasn't a global superstar, but she was just on her way to becoming a big star at that time. In 2000, she had her biggest hit "Try Again" which went to #1 in the Hot 100. During that time, she started getting recognized in the Grammys by getting nominations for "Are You That Somebody?" and "Try Again". She was also on her way to break out in movies like Romeo Must Die, The Queen of the Damned and The Matrix sequels. She even won Best Female Video in the 2000 MTV Video Music Awards, wherein she beat out bigger stars like Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Macy Gray and Toni Braxton.

During those years up until her death (1999-2001), it's safe to say that she was already on her way to becoming a big artist and actress.
                            If Ciara has died in 2007 you could have said said the same thing... (minus acting)
                            Forever Young

Comment

I would have said that Ciara's biggest era was the first era.

Comment

Originally posted by gboichris
                                People like you sicken me if Aaliyah was here today Beyonce and Rihanna would be in the shadows. You truly don't know nothing.And her album sales are greater than both of them.
                                Beyoncé was already owning the charts as a part of Destiny's Child whilst Aaliyah was still alive. They could co-exist perfectly fine. What the previous poster said, is actually try.
                                no shade, no hate

Comment

Aaliyah,Monica,Brandy

my idols when i was a child.

Comment

1999-2001 ? you must be kidding me

Aaliyahs One in a million and Aaliyah album are one of the best r&b albums ever ! Thats what critics say !

Personally I would rate it the best album.

She was big with Are you that somebody and very know in the r&b scene with smashes like If your girl only knew & 4 Page Letter. Those are classics

And Ciara was never big like Aaliyah, second is still a role model for several people I know.

There are stars which were made to stars and then theres Aaliyah where you can almost catch the sweetness !
                                    Frank Ocean

Comment

10 years this year

Comment

Originally posted by Star
                                        10 years this year
                                        It crossed my mind too! Times flies!!! :(

Comment

Are Blackground really doing nothing for the 10 year anniversary? I thought that they were bringing out one final package for this?

Comment

geeez people I seriously don't get all the talk, if Aaliyah was still alive, Beyonce, Ciara or Rihanna would be nowhere
                                            bullshit
                                            as somebody said Beyonce was already knows as Destiny's Child, although her style is different that Aaliyah's so I don't understand why it wouldn't be enough room for them both, the same for Rihanna

as for Ciara, it was all about the tomboy style, BabyGirl wasn't the first and the last person who dressed like that, so why are people still thinking CiCi copied her with that? all the singles from Goodies sounded so different than anything Aaliyah done, Promise is probably the only CiCi song which can be similar to Aaliyah's work (Promise nad One in a milion mush up is amazing ) but I think the song is more Prince-inspired

as I freakin love Ciara, Aaliyah was just...;( the smooth voice, the beauty everything...

the problem with Aaliyah was that she was just getting started! nobody can tell if she could be a super star or not, seriously you just can't tell!

'Aaliyah' album is a masterpiece, still sounds so fresh, all the singles were amazing, her & Timbo & Missy would continue to make fantastic music together, they were the future of modern r&b, then she died and Timbo lost all his amazing flow and inspiration

Comment

She's getting a BET special later this month.

Comment

Originally posted by therealestMC
                                                She's getting a BET special later this month.
                                                Yayyy
                                                Frank Ocean

Comment

Originally posted by G00dies
                                                  geeez people I seriously don't get all the talk, if Aaliyah was still alive, Beyonce, Ciara or Rihanna would be nowhere
                                                  bullshit
                                                  as somebody said Beyonce was already knows as Destiny's Child, although her style is different that Aaliyah's so I don't understand why it wouldn't be enough room for them both, the same for Rihanna

as for Ciara, it was all about the tomboy style, BabyGirl wasn't the first and the last person who dressed like that, so why are people still thinking CiCi copied her with that? all the singles from Goodies sounded so different than anything Aaliyah done, Promise is probably the only CiCi song which can be similar to Aaliyah's work (Promise nad One in a milion mush up is amazing ) but I think the song is more Prince-inspired

as I freakin love Ciara, Aaliyah was just...;( the smooth voice, the beauty everything...

the problem with Aaliyah was that she was just getting started! nobody can tell if she could be a super star or not, seriously you just can't tell!

'Aaliyah' album is a masterpiece, still sounds so fresh, all the singles were amazing, her & Timbo & Missy would continue to make fantastic music together, they were the future of modern r&b, then she died and Timbo lost all his amazing flow and inspiration
                                                  I understand what you try to say , I dont see the similarities between Cici and Aaliyah too
                                                  I love both thats all I know

sorry if it disturbs you but I bet she would have been a superstar !
                                                  Frank Ocean

Comment

They should be doing a special release this month :-?

Comment

Originally posted by Valentino
                                                      sorry if it disturbs you but I bet she would have been a superstar !
                                                      well the 'you can't tell' thing was referring to people overall!

I, as a BIG fan, knew that she was someone special, her unique voice and sound made her stand out
                                                      none of the current pop/r&b singers haven't reach the epicness of One in a million or Rock the boat

so she was, she is and she will be always a superstar, icon and legend for me

Comment

Originally posted by G00dies

I agree!!!

And let's not forget that she has the makings of an A-list actress...

1. Romeo Must Die (decent debut but nothing really spectacular)
                                                        2. Queen of the Damned (great performance and quality film)
                                                        3. Matrix Trilogy (would have catapulted her to even bigger films in the future)

Comment

MTV played the past winners for Best Female on VMA and Aaliyah's Try Again was played. Obviously, it won the VMA Best Female Video Award. And I felt sad, thinking it will be her 10th death anniversary this coming 25th.
                                                          DISCOGS | LAST.FM | INSTAGRAM

Comment

I remember feeling so devastated when she passed away. I became a huge fan since "Journey to the Past", became a 'stan' with "Are You That Somebody", "Try Again", and "Back in One Piece", and was enjoying her then-new song "We Need a Resolution".. :-?

Time flies by so fast, I can't believe it's been 10 years this month.

Comment

10 years ago today :( R.I.P. Aaliyah
                                                              Without Any Meaning / We're Just Skin & Bone / Like Beautiful Robots Dancing Alone.

Comment

Working...
                                                              X