Aaliyah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NormiMalone View Post
    I didn't overhype her movie career and my point wasn't that was she was about to become this huge movie star. Perhaps I misspoke using the phrase "big-budget." She nabbed the lead in RMD and was all set to do Sparkle---that's more than one lead, yeah? Who knows how many more offers there would have been? I do know she was paid $1.5 million for RMD, $5 million for Queen of the Damned (which you can call a supporting role if you want, but she ultimately had star billing, so...). Hollywood doesn't cut those kinds of checks unless they think you can make that coin back. Maybe The Matrix sequels didn't do much for Nona Gaye, but she's had exactly one Top 20 hit in the US her entire career, so she wasn't exactly crushing it going in, now was she? Maybe Sparkle came and went, that may have been a function of it having been in development hell for well over a decade---even then, it still turned a modest profit.

Thing is, we really don't know what the trajectory of Aaliyah's film career would have been since it was so brief But that bump in pay she got from RMD to QOD was certainly a good look---money talks, boo! I didn't say she would have been Box Office Queen, but I do think she could have headlined some decent-sized $50-$90 million box office hits with well-chosen roles in the mid-to-late '00s. Anyway, my larger point aligns pretty closely with yours: "she would have kept acting and sustained a nice career in it" AND that she would have continued developing her sound, contrary to other assertions on this thread and elsewhere that she would have faded away quickly. She would have had continued popularity and success in both fields. That is literally all I'm saying. Nothing to get irked about.
    It‘s all good, essentially we have the same opinion. A lot of people want to treat her as your run-of-the-mill R‘n‘B starlet that would‘ve faded away like so many others from that era, but she was very different. Her sound was ahead of its time, experimental even, and she always showed interest in other genres and working with artists you wouldn’t expect her to work with... her willingness to tread off the beaten path alone would’ve been enough to sustain her music career.
    To this day I still haven’t been able to fill the musical hole she left, because she had a very unique and appealing style, whereas I consider many of her peers to be quite exchangeable.

I don’t even understand why she has so many haters today... she was a kind, talented and beautiful young woman who has been gone for nearly two decades now and yet some people bash her, mock her death and ridicule her achievements. Crazy.

Comment

• | Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney | Tamia |

Comment

• The Waxwork is interesting as I’m sure they usually take measurements from the living person?
        1 pnau |2 Gabrielle Aplin |3 Dotter|4 Sofi Tukker |5 Afrojack

Comment

• Originally posted by SholasBoy View Post
          The Waxwork is interesting as I’m sure they usually take measurements from the living person?
          | Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney | Tamia |

Comment

The Waxwork is interesting as I’m sure they usually take measurements from the living person?
            ahha rude
            Forever Young

Comment

• I was being serious

Comment

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FudW1jp8xLE

The late and great Whitney Houston compliments Aaliayh's music and says "I Love her voice."
                Diva!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by LittleLinda View Post
                  It‘s all good, essentially we have the same opinion. A lot of people want to treat her as your run-of-the-mill R‘n‘B starlet that would‘ve faded away like so many others from that era, but she was very different. Her sound was ahead of its time, experimental even, and she always showed interest in other genres and working with artists you wouldn’t expect her to work with... her willingness to tread off the beaten path alone would’ve been enough to sustain her music career.
                  To this day I still haven’t been able to fill the musical hole she left, because she had a very unique and appealing style, whereas I consider many of her peers to be quite exchangeable.

I don’t even understand why she has so many haters today... she was a kind, talented and beautiful young woman who has been gone for nearly two decades now and yet some people bash her, mock her death and ridicule her achievements. Crazy.
                  But she doesn't have a lot of haters. The only time she gets dragged is when her fans say Rihanna or beyonce wouldn't be where they are if she was alive. other than that I think people actually enjoy her and her music.. because if we keep it all the way 100 she would've faded just like the other girls. Beyonce and Rihanna not only lasted so long because of good music, they also had the drive and the team behind them. Something most black artist lacks is a strong team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aaronsmithjune1 View Post
                    But she doesn't have a lot of haters. The only time she gets dragged is when her fans say Rihanna or beyonce wouldn't be where they are if she was alive. other than that I think people actually enjoy her and her music.. because if we keep it all the way 100 she would've faded just like the other girls. Beyonce and Rihanna not only lasted so long because of good music, they also had the drive and the team behind them. Something most black artist lacks is a strong team.
                    She does have a lot of haters nowadays and it has zilch to do with Beyonce or Rihanna comparisons. If you haven’t seen that good for you, but I have seen A LOT of nasty comments about her. And I still don’t know why you believe she would’ve faded.
                    I do agree that she would’ve had no influence on Bey‘s or Rih‘s success though. All three of them have different styles and appeal.

Comment

• Originally posted by LittleLinda View Post
                      I do agree that she would’ve had no influence on Bey‘s or Rih‘s success though. All three of them have different styles and appeal.
                      I agree, Aaliyah was incredibly talented

Comment

All three vocal tones and music are completely unique. I never saw any similarities between all of them (including Brandy and Monica as well who came out around the same time). People just like comparing for drama and satisfaction
                        | Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney | Tamia |

Comment

Yea she would have been in her own lane
                          Forever Young

Comment

• | Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney | Tamia |

Comment

• A hologram or what
                              Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

• Originally posted by JeremySpears View Post
                                A hologram or what
                                Ugh, please not that...
                                The sands of time fade into dark
                                Feel your pulse it's groove o'clock
                                A message to madness
                                Feel music that's realness

Comment

• Originally posted by NormiMalone View Post
                                  Ugh, please not that...
                                  I wonder now that it is mentioned. But they are totally going to F it up if it is. No hologram was a success.
                                  The fact she tagged these others makes me think she is doing something on her own and wanted them to look out for her.
                                  But what is it?

Comment

• When did this leak? It was posted in June.

Comment

• it is cute for what it is
                                      Forever Young

Comment

• Her music and legacy is timeless.
                                        See you soon baby girl.

Comment

• RIP, Babygirl.
                                          Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

• This mix is dope!!!
                                            https://soundcloud.com/jay-shale/aaliyah-mix-dj-shale

I love this womane mixes in sound cloud.

Comment

• This mix is dope!!!
                                              https://soundcloud.com/jay-shale/aaliyah-mix-dj-shale

I love this womane mixes in sound cloud.

Comment

• R.i.P.[*]
                                                Whitney Houston

Comment

Comment

• Here's a cool video that I am just now seeing. Brandy speaking on Aaliyah's influence on her.
                                                    Diva!!!

Comment

• Aaliya's 'More Than A Woman' is one of her best videos. Slay

Comment

• Happy 40th birthday, our dearest Baby Girl. You are still missed and loved.
                                                        DISCOGS | LAST.FM | INSTAGRAM

Comment

• It's sad that new people can't really discover her, I would love to listen to her on Spotify!.

Still sad that she died so young, she would have been massive in the mid 2000s with her being Timbaland's main artist.

Comment

• Happy birthday to baby girl.

Comment

• Happy Birthday to this angel <3

Comment

Working...
                                                              X