No announcement yet.

Aaliyah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was just watching these videos, behind the scenes at the 'Rock The Boat' video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQAExz5HNv8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1zKhQ96 ... re=related
    Without Any Meaning / We're Just Skin & Bone / Like Beautiful Robots Dancing Alone.

Comment

Originally posted by RockTheBoat
      10 years ago today :( R.I.P. Aaliyah
      R.I.P. Aaliyah

Comment

Originally posted by GetBack
        Originally posted by RockTheBoat
        10 years ago today :( R.I.P. Aaliyah
        R.I.P. Aaliyah

I hate it when people say she had just gotten started/ It's innacurate. She had 3 albums out. Her last album was the one that positioned her at pretty much the top of commercial R n B. She had movies coming out/ working.

It was the cookie cutter trajectory to stardom cut short.

The comparisons to other artists bit is hard to question. Beyonce and Aaliyah were worlds apart in terms of style and musical output so to say they both wouldn't exist is ridiculous.

Ciara on the other hand I see a lot of similarities with. I love Cici and own all her albums but I would be lying if I didn't start getting interested in her as a replacement for Aaliyah. I still think Aaliyah's last album is more current and fresh sounding than anything Ciara has released as I think although Aaliyah didn't have the strongest voice, she utilises it as an asset on songs where as Ciara's voice is usually an addition to the production.

It would have been interesting to see the musical landscape if Aaliyah was still alive because undoubtedly it would be different.

:(
        "What goes around comes back around my baby"

Comment

Still Love her. One of my favourites.

Comment

I think Aaliyah's voice is often unappreciated, she had amazing control and depth to her vocals. Yes she had a an amazing head light head voice but she could belt also and live performances showed how rich her voice was. I wish there was more unreleased material from her that was good enough for another album.

Comment

Originally posted by naughtynae
              I think Aaliyah's voice is often unappreciated, she had amazing control and depth to her vocals. Yes she had a an amazing head light head voice but she could belt also and live performances showed how rich her voice was. I wish there was more unreleased material from her that was good enough for another album.
              I agree! People say she couldnt sing but she actually could, just because she isnt a high belter doesnt mean she couldnt sing.

WOW 10 years have fLOWN!! R.I.P Aaliyah. I Miss You :(
              R.I.P Aaliyah 1979-2001

Comment

Originally posted by R_D
                I agree! People say she couldnt sing but she actually could, just because she is a high belter doesnt mean she couldnt sing.

OMG thatsexactly what I think about her voice ! I think she has a unique sound, and really angelic!
                I miss Babygirl so much, all my love tho her family and friends, R.I.P Babygirl you`re truly one in a million !!!
                Frank Ocean

Comment

RIP Aaliyah!
                  THRILLER’S SOUNDS OF THE 90s

Comment

Originally posted by Valentino
                    Originally posted by R_D
                    I agree! People say she couldnt sing but she actually could, just because she is a high belter doesnt mean she couldnt sing.

OMG thatsexactly what I think about her voice ! I think she has a unique sound, and really angelic!
                    I miss Babygirl so much, all my love tho her family and friends, R.I.P Babygirl you`re truly one in a million !!!
                    Oops it was suppose to say "isnt a high belter" lol but yes her Voice voice so unique and deffinetly angelic, you can see in her performances she used to hold back alot.
                    R.I.P Aaliyah 1979-2001

Comment

I posted this in the "R.I.P. Aaliyah" thread and bumped it in the Urban section, but I'll post it in here since the conversation is more active:

10 years today. It really is proof that time flies. I still remember the moment I find out about her death, back in the day when I didn't have the internet and found out over teletext. Needless to say, despite not being a huge fan like others would be, I was gutted and devastated that the worst lost such a special talent and at such a young age. She really did have it all going from her, and it just ended so tragically.

R.I.P. Aaliyah. Not a year has gone by that you weren't thought about. Hopefully you're in a better place for leaving the world so prematurely.
                      I can't believe that it's 10 years already. It's unbelievable, really.

'Try Again' still sounds as fresh as ever.
                      LONG LIVE GIRLS ALOUD

Comment

<!!!!>
                        I hate when people say she can't sing, WHAT THE F*CK
                        her voice was so unique, so smooth, she sounded like no one else

R.I.P Babygirl :(

Comment

10 years and your still slaying me!

RIP Babygirl!

Comment

She's still dearly missed! R.I.P. babygirl!

Comment

Can't believe it's been 10 years! I remember hearing the news like it was yesterday. It makes me sad when I think of that very moment.

RIP Babygirl, you're truly missed but your music still lives on.
                              Big.Big.Booty.

Comment

Her music is timeless.. RIP

Comment

Originally posted by BanZai
                                  Can't believe it's been 10 years! I remember hearing the news like it was yesterday. It makes me sad when I think of that very moment.

RIP Babygirl, you're truly missed but your music still lives on.
                                  I know right? Time goes by so fast. I too can remember hearing the news like it was yesterday. I even know where I was at that moment.

R.I.P. :(
                                  "I see it, I like it, I want it... I GOT IT."

Comment

She was pretty much my idol when I was growing up and when I learned of her death I was devastated. R.I.P Babygirl <3

Oh, and I hate when people say she had a weak voice. She didn't show it off much but this girl could really SING. "The One I Gave My Heart To" shows what skills she had.

Comment

RIP Aaliyah Dana Haughton (1979-2001) :( 10 years have passed. </3
                                      DISCOGS | LAST.FM | INSTAGRAM

Comment

She's trending on Twitter.
                                        DISCOGS | LAST.FM | INSTAGRAM

Comment

Cannot believe its been a decade. I remember when someone IM'd me asking if I'd heard about it... I honestly thought she was full of BS because it couldn't have been more than a week or two after this internet rumor that Britney and Justin had been killed in a car accident was all over the internet, so I figured that someone made up something like that about Aaliyah as another attention-hogging rumor. Then the news reports began rolling in one after another... very sad times. I remember going to work the next morning (I worked retail at the time) and we'd sold out of her cd by the time I'd left work for the day. I do remember that was a stormy day and the Madonna Drowned World Tour concert was on HBO that night and some people were mad she didn't pay tribute to her on the special.
                                          My top 100 artists (2018 edition)

Comment

I didn't get to say it yesterday cause posting quota but I spent all yesterday listening to her music. It's still so fresh even though it's quite old Sounds fresher than most R&B nowadays. It makes me think how much of an amazing artist she would of been today.

R.I.P. Gone but never forgotten<3

Comment

What are your fave Aaliyah songs?

This is actually my ultimate fave...so sad, it's not in any of her compilation albums. :-?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7E8YGLg1nk

Comment

^ That was good, never heard that before!

Mines are Try Again, At Your Best, 4 Page Letter & Loose Rap!

+ ofc More Than A Woman + singles

Comment

Originally posted by GetBack
                                                  What are your fave Aaliyah songs?

This is actually my ultimate fave...so sad, it's not in any of her compilation albums. :-?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7E8YGLg1nk

she sounded great!

my favorite songs? Back & Forth!! that's my JAM
                                                  One in a million of course, Choosey Lover, Rock The Boat and Miss You (how they didn't even put this song on one of her albums before her death, I CAN'T)

Comment

I couldnt even choose a song, I think her songs are all so unique and sth. special. Real rnb and that she was so beautiful and angelic ,
                                                    Man I really really love her so much !
                                                    Frank Ocean

Comment

I forgot to mention that I love her version of "At Your Best"...so angelic! What a soothing voice, the original mix should have gotten a video treatment as well.

I also love the fact that she came on with a natural elegance, she's so beautiful and classy without even trying...just look at her, always stunning and style is on point.

Comment

The start of At Your Best slays lives alone! I love that Drake sampled it on his album, it's perfect

Comment

Originally posted by jamesssxD
                                                          The start of At Your Best slays lives alone! I love that Drake sampled it on his album, it's perfect
                                                          +1
                                                          Frank Ocean

Comment

Guys I need your help pleeeease

Can I watch the BET special of yesterday online somewhere ??
                                                            Do you have some links for me to try !!???
                                                            Frank Ocean

Comment

http://thatgrapejuice.net/2011/08/watch ... t-special/
                                                              ^
                                                              I watched it earlier today and I have to say that BET did good job but I expected more from Timbo and Missy to hear some cool stories about Babygirl, some new footage, it was too short IMO :(

Comment

Working...
                                                              X