No announcement yet.

Janet Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This thread is over 4 years old, 119 pages long and still no new album!

Comment

• What she's been up to lately?
      "Complaining is an advertisement for stupidity"

Comment

• Originally posted by AlphaMale
        What she's been up to lately?

Getting married and getting freaky (probably)

Comment

• Originally posted by naughtynae
          Originally posted by AlphaMale

And recording her Arabic debut
          | Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney | Tamia |

Comment

• Originally posted by preyan
            Originally posted by naughtynae
            Originally posted by AlphaMale

And recording her Arabic debut
            lol, what is that all about anyway, is it the label who's arabic, or is she going to sing folk arabic songs??? :-?

Comment

• Lots of new rumours that Janet is retiring from the entertainment industry to move to the Middle East. I'm certain they are false though - this is just ignorant journalists making assumptions because of Wissam's nationality.

Comment

• Oh now I get it!

Comment

• Oh, my post wasn't a reply to your question about her Arabic debut. It was an independent post of its own about 'new rumours'.

Comment

• Janet should really come back, and when she does, she should go on an all-out promo!

Comment

• I've never really listened to any of Janet's work, but I somehow ended up listening to the Damita Jo album on YouTube earlier today and, while there was some duds on it, I actually really liked it. Rnb Junkie, I Want You and just A Little While in particular are amazing!

So I was just wondering if any Janet fans could give me some pointers on good places to start looking into her stuff a bit more? I know I could just listen to all the albums, but I've got a lot of new music recently so don't really have the time to be going through her whole discography. I know her big UK hits, but apart from that I'm a complete noob here....

Comment

• Originally posted by Kaloki
                        I've never really listened to any of Janet's work, but I somehow ended up listening to the Damita Jo album on YouTube earlier today and, while there was some duds on it, I actually really liked it. Rnb Junkie, I Want You and just A Little While in particular are amazing!

So I was just wondering if any Janet fans could give me some pointers on good places to start looking into her stuff a bit more? I know I could just listen to all the albums, but I've got a lot of new music recently so don't really have the time to be going through her whole discography. I know her big UK hits, but apart from that I'm a complete noob here....
                        I'd recommend to start with the albums Rhythm Nation 1814 and The Velvet Rope, those are her best records IMO (and her most acclaimed ones)
                        My music library: LAST.FM

Comment

• Originally posted by Jonathan
                          Originally posted by Kaloki
                          I've never really listened to any of Janet's work, but I somehow ended up listening to the Damita Jo album on YouTube earlier today and, while there was some duds on it, I actually really liked it. Rnb Junkie, I Want You and just A Little While in particular are amazing!

I'd recommend to start with the albums Rhythm Nation 1814 and The Velvet Rope, those are her best records IMO (and her most acclaimed ones)
                          Cheers, I'll check them out!

Comment

You may also want to check out janet. It's the Damita Jo of the 1990s, but has stronger singles and album tracks.

Comment

• Janet's music can be difficult to get into for the first time listener. The length, number of interludes and the subject matter of her records can prove a lot for people to take in. I also don't think bar a few of her more commercially successful singles, her music is "instant" - it can take a while to appreciate her work. Her albums are always to be regarded as bodys of work, particularly Rhythm Nation and Velvet Rope and it's best to preservere with the interludes as they work well when listened as a whole.

I would actually always start people off with Control. Its her magnum opus and most cohesive record. As the years went on her music became more expansive and varied.

Her strongest albums for me are Control, Rhythm Nation and Velvet Rope w/ Janet closely behind. All For You and Discipline were disappointing for me and I regard them as her weakest. 20 Y.O. is strong in areas such as With U, Enjoy and Daybreak. Damita Jo is her strongest album since the turn of the millennium yet sadly her most overlooked due to the Superbowl fiasco. I Want You is in my top 3 Janet songs ever along with That's The Way Love Goes and Love Will Never Do (Without You).

I ADORE this woman. I doubt we'll get another album but damn I love going back and listening to her stuff.
                              Beyoncé. Mariah. Mary. Janet.

Comment

What?! You've never listened to Janet?!

Heck, just start with Control and listen to them all. They are all great and there's only like 8 of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jonathan
                                  Originally posted by Kaloki

Agreed. IF you like those then get into. Janet. and Control.

After that you can look into her 2000's album, which are all kinda hit or miss. I would rank them.

Damita Jo
                                  Discipline
                                  All For You
                                  20 Y.O.

Comment

• I'd always recommend 'All For You' to new fans, as it's one of her most radio friendly albums (All For You, Come On Get Up, When We Oooo, Doesn't Really Matter, Feels So Right, Someone To Call My Lover).

'Control' is also an important album to listen to and it contains many of Janet's signature songs (all 6 singles basically!)

As much as I love 'The Velvet Rope', I'd say it's probably one of the hardest albums to understand for a new fan because it's so dark.

Comment

• ohh have a listen to Runaway and prepare the lyrics because most of the time you wun know what she's singing

Comment

• For the new comers I always suggest either All for you or Discipline.

Comment

• Thanks for all the tips guys!

I just finished listening to Velvet Rope since it was the first suggested and I have no idea why I've never heard this album before! It's effing awesome!!!

I get what people are saying about it being hard to get into as some of the songs didn't jump out at me on the first listen and I find the spoken interludes a bit lame, but at the same time I prefer music that you have to listen to for a bit to appreciate. And anyways songs like The Velvet Rope, Got til It's Gone, What About and Together Again (this one I actually knew) are all amazing! And I Get So Lonely is just epic - I've had it on repeat for the last half hour

It's weird because I see people on these forums saying Janet Jackson is a legend and everything, and never really understood it as I only knew 3 or 4 of her songs that were hits in the UK, but after listening to this and looking at some articles on wiki, it's obvious she was pretty much top of the tree back in the 90s.

Like I mentioned before I've just got a lot of new music by Prince and The Eagles, but I think am going to put them on the back burner for just now and check out some more of Janet's work!

Again thanks for all the pointers on her music. Safe to say, I'm pretty happy I stumbled across Damita Jo yesterday!

Comment

• Originally posted by Pawlu84
                                            For the new comers I always suggest either All for you or Discipline.
                                            Bad suggestions. These were not albums that made her a legend in the modern age
                                            Janet and Velvet Rope connected her with TODAYS market And stamped her immigration passport to show that she's here to stay
                                            | Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney | Tamia |

Comment

• Janet's career must be approached visually, and aurally. Visually, I would start with Janet over Rhythm Nation which was a visual dream. I prefer the videos from the Janet era.

But IF IT'S ABOUT THE MUSIC!

Rhythm Nation is a great introduction along with Velvet Rope. It's everything a new pop artist with a brain should consider. You don't have to use the Minneapolis sound..

You're introduced to:
                                              -Themes
                                              -Good Dance Music
                                              -Good Slow Jams
                                              (Funny How Time Flies, Come Back To Me)
                                              -Love - Love/War and Frivolous Love- (Love Will Never Do Without You, Escapade)
                                              -Classy / Sexy (Come Back To Me, Let's Wait A Little While)
                                              -Introspective (Control)
                                              - Political
                                              -Race (The Knowledge)
                                              -Women's Issues (Rhythm Nation)
                                              -World Issues (State of The World)

Velvet Rope forays into a little raunchiness, but it follows a similar template.

-Themes
                                              -AIDS (World, Social Issues) - (Together Again)
                                              - Domestic Abuse (What About)
                                              -Bold Sexy
                                              -Dance Songs /-Party Songs (Go Deep)
                                              -Progressive Dance Music (Empty)
                                              -Love / Longing Love (Everytime) (Empty)
                                              -Introspective /Identity (Special, We Can't Be Stopped, You)
                                              -Modern R&B - (Got Til It's Gone, I Get Lonely)

Comment

• YASSSS at all the Janet stans in here. Shows how much she's missed. I saw that Halle Barry was pregnant and she's 46, I wonder if Janet trying to conceive now since she's married?

Comment

• Originally posted by ThaInfo1
                                                  YASSSS at all the Janet stans in here. Shows how much she's missed. I saw that Halle Barry was pregnant and she's 46, I wonder if Janet trying to conceive now since she's married?
                                                  I wish. She deserves a child. I wonder if Janet and LaToya denied themselves for so long due to emotional damage from daddy issues.

Janet was my first love (diva-admiration)!

Comment

• Originally posted by preyan
                                                    Originally posted by Pawlu84
                                                    For the new comers I always suggest either All for you or Discipline.
                                                    Bad suggestions. These were not albums that made her a legend in the modern age
                                                    Janet and Velvet Rope connected her with TODAYS market And stamped her immigration passport to show that she's here to stay
                                                    I thought Rhythm Nation did that. She toured for two years with tour production like no other and made no money, but I thought that sealed the deal. Janet was her Bodyguard, but we can't forget her prior work sealed her legacy too.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X