No announcement yet.

Janet Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think "new comers" should start with Number Ones and then exploring Janet's amazing catalog.
    My Chart

My Rihanna Countdown

Comment

• I hate when people undermine 'All For You'. It sold just a little less than 'The Velvet Rope' despite having less singles, a much shorter era and a cancelled world tour. Not to mention, it gave Janet her best first week sales ever.

If 'Come On Get Up' was officially released and another couple of singles followed, it would have easily outsold 'The Velvet Rope' in the US and maybe worldwide.

Comment

• Originally posted by biscuits
        Oh, my post wasn't a reply to your question about her Arabic debut. It was an independent post of its own about 'new rumours'.
        ...and yet you answered my question!
        "Complaining is an advertisement for stupidity"

Comment

• Originally posted by GoodBoyGoneBad
          I think "new comers" should start with Number Ones and then exploring Janet's amazing catalog.
          Yeah, I was gonna suggest that. But if these newcomers want to use YouTube only, then 'Number Ones' isn't on there, only full albums.

Comment

I hate when people undermine 'All For You'. It sold just a little less than 'The Velvet Rope' despite having less singles, a much shorter era and a cancelled world tour. Not to mention, it gave Janet her best first week sales ever.

If 'Come On Get Up' was officially released and another couple of singles followed, it would have easily outsold 'The Velvet Rope' in the US and maybe worldwide.
            I don't understand why she didn't properly release "Come On Get Up". it could have worked as a great second or third single. "Someone to Call My Lover" could have gone third and still be a huge hit that it is!

Comment

• Alrighty guys! Since I only just started listening to Janet's work a few days a go I thought I'd do a little update of how I'm liking her music (if anybody is even interested hahaaa )

Basically it doesn't start off good. I posted the other day amount how much I liked Velvet Rope so decided to move onto Rhythm Nation as that was the 2nd album recommended here.... But I don't like it at all. It sounds very 80s and I can't get into the subject matter of the songs at all. I love a lot of Prince's 80s stuff, but Rhythm Nation just doesn't do it for me. I even tried it 3 times, but it didn't get any better. For me Velvet Rope is miles better.

Which leads nicely onto the positives. Velvet Rope just gets better the more I listen to it. There's not a single song I dislike, though there is a few songs I would only listen to as part of the album rather than individually.

I remember "Together Again "from when I was younger but hearing it these past few days has made me realise how amazing it is so I've downloaded it from iTunes so I don't have to go on YouTube all the time. I also bought "So Lonely" as well as its fast becoming my of my favourite songs for a long time!! It's my birthday in a week or so and I always get iTunes vouchers so I'll use them to buy the full Velvet Rope album.

And lastly, I was youtubing random Janet songs and came across "That's The Way Love Goes"... Just This song is already one of my all time favourites after just a day and a half of hearing it!! It's just such a class song that I'm actually a bit gutted its taken me so long to find it. I listen to a crazy range of music, but this song is the perfect example for the slow rnb jams which make up most of my favourite tunes.

Well that's it. Apologies for the essay, but everybody was good enough to give me advice on Janet's music a few days ago so I just thought it'd be good to let you guys know how I'm getting on with it. I'm going to listen to Janet next. Although it looks like pretty much every song has an interlude according to wiki, I'm hoping it will have a similar rnb sound to "That's The Way Love Goes"!

Comment

• I just realized I merged Control and Rhythm Nation together. I do that all the time.

Comment

• I love your updates Kaloki!

- I understand what you mean about 'Rhythm Nation 1814'. It is VERY dated in my opinion, so can take a while to get into, especially if you're more into modern music. Try giving 'Love Will Never Do (Without You)' another chance - it's probably the least dated and standout track on the album.

- I also get what you're saying about 'The Velvet Rope'. There are some songs which I only ever listen to as part of the album as a whole, rather than individually. It's such a cohesive album and as a whole, it's just so good. 'I Get Lonely' is one of my favourite Janet songs too!

- I'm surprised you didn't know 'That's The Way Love Goes' already - it is one of Janet's biggest hits ever and and R&B classic! I'm glad you like it - it's so infectious.

- About the 'janet.' album, it took me years to really appreciate it, and even now, it is probably only my 5th or 6th favourite Janet album. The album doesn't sound like 'That's The Way Love Goes' because there is a whole mix of genres on there. However, you absolutely must listen to 'If', which is not only my favourite song of all time, but it is also the most popular song within the Janet community.

- If you like the R&B songs like 'That's The Way Love Goes' and 'I Get Lonely', then I recommend:
                  Funny How Time Flies (When You're Having Fun)
                  Let's Wait Awhile
                  Lonely
                  Any Time Any Place
                  When We Oooo
                  China Love
                  Son of a Gun
                  Take Care
                  Curtains

- If you like the pop/uptempo songs like 'Together Again' and 'Just a Little While', then I recommend:
                  When I Think of You
                  Escapade
                  Love Will Never Do (Without You)
                  Throb
                  Because of Love
                  Runaway
                  All For You
                  Come On Get Up
                  Rock With U

Comment

• Originally posted by GetBack
                    Originally posted by biscuits
                    I hate when people undermine 'All For You'. It sold just a little less than 'The Velvet Rope' despite having less singles, a much shorter era and a cancelled world tour. Not to mention, it gave Janet her best first week sales ever.

I don't understand why she didn't properly release "Come On Get Up". it could have worked as a great second or third single. "Someone to Call My Lover" could have gone third and still be a huge hit that it is!
                    But 'Come On Get Up' and 'Someone To Call My Lover' are both summer singles. Could you imagine 'Come On Get Up' being released in July and 'Someone To Call My Lover' in November? That would have been a mess!

Anyway, it's all stupid flop Mariah's fault that the era got cut short! I definitely think sales would have come close to 3.75-4M in the US if more singles were released. 'Come On Get Up' would have probably gone top 10 in the UK too.

Comment

• Why is it Mariah's (I guess you're talking about Glitter) fault?

P.S. I've been listening to Call On Me lately, I really like it

Comment

• Because Virgin spent all their money buying Mariah out of her contract with them.

Comment

• "Trust a Try" was the "You" of this album. I wish she released that as well.

Comment

• After over 10 years of ignoring it, I officially like 'This Time'.

Comment

After over 10 years of ignoring it, I officially like 'This Time'.
                              It's a great tune!!
                              Channel Orange Ray Of Light Electra Heart Back To Black

Comment

• Originally posted by MonaBlissa
                                Originally posted by preyan
                                Originally posted by Pawlu84
                                For the new comers I always suggest either All for you or Discipline.
                                Bad suggestions. These were not albums that made her a legend in the modern age
                                Janet and Velvet Rope connected her with TODAYS market And stamped her immigration passport to show that she's here to stay
                                I thought Rhythm Nation did that. She toured for two years with tour production like no other and made no money, but I thought that sealed the deal. Janet was her Bodyguard, but we can't forget her prior work sealed her legacy too.
                                RN was for THAT generation Janet and VR is for THIS generation
                                Her initial works paved the way for her legacy. It shalt not be forgotten
                                But J and VR showed her diversity and how she was not just a one generation act. It showed her versatility to connect to newer audiences whilst maintaining the older audiences that she once pleased

Not many artists can do that...to please different generations and audiences. MJB and Keyshia Cole for example, are stuck in repeat mode. Beats may be relevant but same old rehashed stories And Monica to that list too

Back to Janet...our Arabic Billionaire
                                | Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney | Tamia |

Comment

• Damn, listening to Anytime, Anyplace.

SEX.
                                  Beyoncé. Mariah. Mary. Janet.

Comment

• Originally posted by preyan
                                    RN was for THAT generation Janet and VR is for THIS generation
                                    Her initial works paved the way for her legacy. It shalt not be forgotten
                                    But J and VR showed her diversity and how she was not just a one generation act. It showed her versatility to connect to newer audiences whilst maintaining the older audiences that she once pleased

Not many artists can do that...to please different generations and audiences. MJB and Keyshia Cole for example, are stuck in repeat mode. Beats may be relevant but same old rehashed stories And Monica to that list too
                                    Brilliant! Agreed.

Comment

• Update number 2!! (I'll try not write an essay this time ahaha!)

First of all thanks biscuits for the reply, I'll try and work my way through your recommendations over the next few days!

So, after being disappointed with Rhythm Nation I moved onto Janet, which I've been listening to all day....... but I'm kind of in 2 minds about it :-? It's definitely more my kind of thing though and I like it a lot more than Rhythm Nation.

On the one hand "Thats The Way Love Goes" and "If" are just incredible!!! They're already becoming absolute favourites of mines. But then I got to the end of the album......

Originally posted by K5000
                                      Damn, listening to Anytime, Anyplace.

SEX.
                                      THIS!!! I got Kendrick Lamar's album a few weeks back (get it if you haven't already, its pretty amazing) and Poetic Justice has been one of my top songs from it, so when I heard "Anytime, Anyplace" and realised it was the sample in Poetic Justice I was like I seem to be saying it about a lot of songs in these posts, but this song is unbelievably good! It's just seriously f**king awesome hahaha! Just like when I heard "That's the Way Love Goes" I felt absolutely gutted I'd never come across the song sooner.

These 3 songs alone make me love the album (I've already downloaded them), but unfortunately the rest is very hit and miss for me.

"This Time" and "Funky Big Band" are quite good, and I actually really like "New Agenda" but the rest of the album doesn't stand out that much. In fact, I think from "Because of Love" to "Rain" the album really drags :( I plan on listening to album a few more times as it does flow really well, but I think I'll just buying the songs I like and making a mini-album of my own.

Apart from Janet, I've also been listening to Velvet Rope and Damita Jo some more and both just keep on getting better. Velvet Rope is my favourite by a mile and I ended up just buying the whole album today rather than waiting for itunes vouchers for my birthday I'm beginning to think it's one of the best albums I've heard in my life I literally love every song on the album now. I was going to just do a massive review of Velvet Rope, but then I remembered everybody here is already Janet fans so don't need any convincing from a newbie like me haha!

So right now, my rankings for Janet's albums looks like this

1. Velvet Rope
                                      2. Janet (mostly down to how amazing 3 of the songs are!)
                                      3. Damita Jo
                                      4. Rhythm Nation

I'm going to hold off listening to any more new albums for a few days and just go back over Janet, Velvet Rope and Damita Jo (and I might even give Rhythm Nation another chance) as well as looking into the songs biscuits suggested. For the next album I do look at, I think I'm going to actually check out Discipline. I remember some of the songs from All for You, and it's a little too poppy for me so I'll leave it til later.

Again I seem to have written stupid amounts here, but I haven't really got this excited about an artist since I started getting into Prince - which is funny because there are some of his songs which I love, but also some which I just don't get as well.

Comment

• I love Island Life from Damita Jo.

Comment

• Good luck with 'Discipline'. I personally wouldn't recommend that album to anybody though (I only like Feedback, LUV, Rock With U & Curtains. So Much Betta is okay).

For me:
                                          1. All For You
                                          2. The Velvet Rope
                                          3. Control
                                          4. Damita Jo
                                          5. Rhythm Nation 1814/janet.
                                          7. 20 Y.O./Discipline

Comment

• Originally posted by Kaloki
                                            On the one hand "Thats The Way Love Goes" and "If" are just incredible!!! They're already becoming absolute favourites of mines. But then I got to the end of the album......

so when I heard "Anytime, Anyplace" and realised it was the sample in Poetic Justice I was like I seem to be saying it about a lot of songs in these posts, but this song is unbelievably good! It's just seriously f**king awesome hahaha! Just like when I heard "That's the Way Love Goes" I felt absolutely gutted I'd never come across the song sooner.

These 3 songs alone make me love the album (I've already downloaded them), but unfortunately the rest is very hit and miss for me.
                                            I'm glad you like 'If'. It's hard not to like that song IMO, it is just the perfect Janet Jackson song.

And TTWLG, If and ATAP, I'd say they're the 3 standout tracks on that album.

I think it's worth giving 'Control' a spin. There are only 9 songs on there (you can skip over 'You Can Be Mine' as well). That's classic Janet and the album which made her a superstar.

Comment

Good luck with 'Discipline'. I personally wouldn't recommend that album to anybody though (I only like Feedback, LUV, Rock With U & Curtains. So Much Betta is okay).

For me:
                                              1. All For You
                                              2. The Velvet Rope
                                              3. Control
                                              4. Damita Jo
                                              5. Rhythm Nation 1814/janet.
                                              7. 20 Y.O./Discipline

It's better than All for You and 20Y.O

For me:
                                              1. The Velvet Rope
                                              2. Rhythm Nation
                                              3. Control
                                              4. Janet
                                              5.Damita Jo
                                              6. Discipline
                                              7. 20 Y.o
                                              8. All For You

Comment

• I think 'All For You' must be the most polarising album of Janet's career.

Comment

I think 'All For You' must be the most polarising album of Janet's career.

The singles are ace along with Trust a Try and Come on Get up but as a whole album it's her weakest.

Comment

• I think as a whole, 'Discipline' is MUCH weaker.

All the mid-tempo, slow songs sounded dated the day the album was released (except the beautiful 'Curtains') and her vocals on some songs sound horrible. And there is no flow to the album - too many interludes in the second half after just one song.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X