No announcement yet.

Janet Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Janet said many times that she always has a recorder with her in case some melody comes up in her mind and that she often dream her music, wake up to record that melody, and then back to sleep. No wonder many of her songs sound so dreamy. Yukimi, from the Swedish band Little Dragon, described it the best: "When you put some of Janet's really slow stuff on you feel like you're floating. That feeling really influenced me and maybe that's why there are quite a lot of slow jams on the record."

Last edited by Bojan; Tue June 30th, 2020, 08:01.
    Gone.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueScorpion View Post
      Re: Janet Jackson

Today in 1996, Janet Jackson became the highest paid artist in history when she signed an $80 million deal with Virgin Records.
      $40 ($75) million for one album in 1991 (widely considered to be the shrewdest deal ever negotiated)
      $80 ($130) million for four albums in 1996

In just five years, Janet signed two record deals worth $205 million adjusted to 2020 dollars to release five albums, which includes a 24 percent royalty on the retail price of each copy sold, and seven years after the contract ends, the masters belong to Janet.

The contract ended in 2006. She sold around 33 million albums for Virgin and got additional $120 to $150 million from those sales, without adjustment to 2020 dollars.

This won't be repeated. 100% queen.

Last edited by Bojan; Wed July 1st, 2020, 21:10.
      Gone.

Comment

• Last edited by Bojan; Sat July 4th, 2020, 18:19.
        Gone.

Comment

• WFUV (90.7 FM):

Rhythm Nation 1814 was a totemic achievement, but there are few superstars who have been more grossly underestimated and patronized than Jackson. Coverage of her elder (and troubled) brother Michael always overshadowed her, even though it was clear that she'd fast emerged as the most compelling of the siblings. As Michael's final collaboration with Quincy Jones faded with 1987's Bad, Janet had already vaulted far ahead of her brother, laying out more adventurous ground a year before with Control, a new jack swing landmark. But the higher Janet soared, the more harshly she was scrutinized. Her multimillion record deals with Virgin were disparaged, and Jackson was forced to defend herself for her own success. (Little wonder she was so reticent in interviews.) The ostracism and deliberate sabotage that effectively derailed her career for over a decade following the 2004 Superbowl debacle were not only textbook sexism, but barely-cloaked racism.

In this transitionary era of Black and female empowerment and elevated voices—basically what Janet envisioned 31 years ago on Rhythm Nation 1814—her remarkable career is finally being appreciated as she's long deserved, including her overlooked albums, like 2004's Damita Jo, 2008's Discipline, and 2015's Unbreakable. The title of the latter album is the perfect way to describe Jackson.
          Read and listen to it here >>> https://t.co/LFkpFmWWLl?amp=1

Gone.

Comment

• Now over 5 million followers on IG.

Last edited by Bojan; Wed July 15th, 2020, 21:59.
            Gone.

Comment

• ^ Can they all buy and stream Black Diamond please? Thank you.
              Britney Spears Janet Jackson Christina Aguilera Michael Jackson Selena Gomez Hilary Duff Taylor Swift Justin Timberlake

Comment

• Originally posted by JeremySpears View Post
                ^ Can they all buy and stream Black Diamond please? Thank you.
                First we need a release date.
                My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• I'm not hopeful that she will release it in 2020. It would be impossible to promote it properly. I hope, though, that she'll, at least, release the second single from the album.
                  Gone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bojan View Post
                    I'm not hopeful that she will release it in 2020. It would be impossible to promote it properly. I hope, though, that she'll, at least, release the second single from the album.
                    Please Janet can’t even spell promo.
                    Britney Spears Janet Jackson Christina Aguilera Michael Jackson Selena Gomez Hilary Duff Taylor Swift Justin Timberlake

Comment

• Originally posted by Bojan View Post
                      I'm not hopeful that she will release it in 2020. It would be impossible to promote it properly. I hope, though, that she'll, at least, release the second single from the album.
                      But wait, she ain't even released the first single yet??

Comment

• Originally posted by LotsOfLove View Post

But wait, she ain't even released the first single yet??
                        Bojan probably assumes made for now is part of the new album.

Comment

• Made For Now was meant to be for an EP. I jsut figured they scrapped it and moved into the album.

I like Made For Now. It’s fun and uplifting.

Comment

• Originally posted by red3269 View Post

Bojan probably assumes made for now is part of the new album.

I can see her release the album out of the blue and be like "I promoted this in 2018 already. No need to promote it now"

Comment

• Britney Spears Janet Jackson Christina Aguilera Michael Jackson Selena Gomez Hilary Duff Taylor Swift Justin Timberlake

Comment

• Could’ve been an album cover tbh

Comment

• What's is MYM?

Comment

• Originally posted by MintSound View Post
                                    What's is MYM?
                                    I understood it as Miss you much

Maybe a sign that she’ll be back soon

Comment

• Originally posted by LotsOfLove View Post

I understood it as Miss you much

Maybe a sign that she’ll be back soon
                                      mym is short for mymlizz. Mymlizz is a Swedish person who lives in an ikea and makes puns for a living

that person is such a mym
                                      https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mym

Comment

• I DOUBT that she meant that

Comment

• Gone.

Comment

• Gone.

Comment

• Gone.

Comment

• He's being dragged by artists but I do take his point. Engaging with fans is especially important now as you cant just expect people to remember. Of course, spotify themselves can help with playlisting and the like (which I feel is not geared toward older artists).

I also think things are differently applied for people like Janet with such depth to their catalog. Perhaps it's just a matter of pushing it in people's faces more and getting creative in this new industry.
                                                See latest news on Reports, Infractions & Bans
                                                See Mariah Carey's Memoir thread

Comment

• I don't know what this is about, but Janet is officially credited and it's getting a lot of views — nearly 500,000 in just two days.

Gone.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X