No announcement yet.

Janet Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm listening to her first two albums.They aren't bad as people thought to be such a sweet and bubblegummy disco dance-pop albums.I like first one more

Comment

• Originally posted by Choley View Post
      I'm listening to her first two albums.They aren't bad as people thought to be such a sweet and bubblegummy disco dance-pop albums.I like first one more
      They were made by great, current hit-makers and some of the bet producers, but it wasn't easy to make people pay attention to somebody's sister, and especially Michael Jackson's sister. The world didn't have and won't have any star that big, not even close, so it made easier to Janet to get a contract, but much harder to actually become make people listen to her music and become a star. Many brothers, sisters, sons and daughters tried, but only few succeed, in both, music and film. She had to come up with something really special and revolutionary.
      Gone.

Comment

• Happy birthday to Janet's older sisters, a Grammy-winning songwriter La Toya Jackson, and talented Rebbie Jackson, whose debut single went Gold in the U.S.and peaked at No. 4 in New Zealand.

Funny fact: Prince had a crush on La Toya, has a song on Rebbie's debut album, and regularly performed a song by Janet Jackson at his concerts.

Last edited by Bojan; Sat May 30, 2020, 08:16.
        Gone.

Comment

• On this day, in 1995, Michael and Janet Jackson released their only duet, “Scream.”

Gone.

Comment

• Is Janet Jackson World her official YouTube account? It has almost all her music videos in high quality!

Comment

• Originally posted by GetBack View Post
              Is Janet Jackson World her official YouTube account? It has almost all her music videos in high quality!
              It's a fan account. "Doesn't Really Matter" is really in a great quality.

Gone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bojan View Post

Funny fact: Prince had a crush on La Toya, has a song on Rebbie's debut album, and regularly performed a song by Janet Jackson at his concerts.
                Also, Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, responsible for co-composing all of Janet Jackson's first decade of hits (until and including the "All For You" album) and essentially making her a superstar were themselves part of The Time, a band that used to perform and release only Prince-composed songs (and whose name as a band was owned by Prince). Hence the similarity between the Prince and Janet '80s sound, even though the two never actually worked together (a shame if you ask me)
                jio CHARTS NOW: 31/8/2021: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...4#post10741544

Comment

• Originally posted by jio View Post

Also, Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, responsible for co-composing all of Janet Jackson's first decade of hits (until and including the "All For You" album) and essentially making her a superstar were themselves part of The Time, a band that used to perform and release only Prince-composed songs (and whose name as a band was owned by Prince). Hence the similarity between the Prince and Janet '80s sound, even though the two never actually worked together (a shame if you ask me)
                  Yeah. They didn't have concrete plans, but they had an idea that "Love Will Never Do (Without You)" could be a duet with Prince or other male singer. When Janet sang her first verse with low voice, pretending to be her male partner, they loved the way it sounded and decided to leave it like that.

On one hand, I'm sad she never had a duet with Prince, but on the other, I'm glad that she had all of her 10 BB Hot 100 number ones in a lead role, without featured artists or co-lead artists.
                  Gone.

Comment

• Gone.

Comment

• Ever since Glastonbury, London is one of her top cities on Spotify. 99% of them probably weren't even born when these songs were hits, yet they were singing along, and often they didn't even wait for Janet to start to sing but instead started singing immediately after they recognized the song. They knew almost every song. Over million people saw it on BBC 2 and it got rave reviews. I'm so proud of her.

Last edited by Bojan; Wed June 3, 2020, 21:04.
                      Gone.

Comment

• Nice article on a website of Brazilian newspaper "Jornal do Commercio."

Gone.

Comment

• Gone.

Comment

• Did she really?

Comment

• Originally posted by LotsOfLove View Post
                              Did she really?
                              She didn't, but... https://www.livenation.com/artist/K8...jackson-events

Gone.

Comment

• The 100 most iconic albums by African American women

Control
                                by Janet Jackson (1986)
                                Control was one of the most groundbreaking albums of its kind. Jackson put dance on the map with hits that paved her own unique path in the industry. It was motivating, pulsating, and inspirational. Her style of performance has influenced the likes of many who have followed in her footsteps. — MC Lyte

Rhythm Nation 1814
                                by Janet Jackson (1989)
                                Control is its own massive book of magic, but truly it functions in Jackson’s career as the run-up to her finest moments. The fact that so many songs from Rhythm are so rich with feeling and appeal to millions of people is an achievement of creativity, collaboration, and Jackson’s relentless commitment to excellence. The lineup is impressive: “Miss You Much,” “Love Will Never Do (Without You),” “Alright,” “Escapade,” “Come Back to Me.” Artists get crowned into the Hall of Fame with this kind of work over a career. These are from just one of Jackson’s projects. One. — DS

The Velvet Rope
                                by Janet Jackson (1997)
                                Considered to be too long and diverse by her critics, the project prevailed by winning countless awards and produced several hits like “I Get Lonely,” “Got ’Til It’s Gone,” “Go Deep,” and “Together Again.” This album nourished the world with sincere and memorable music. — JE
                                https://zora.medium.com/the-zora-mus...n-5a29296c6112
                                Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift •

Comment

• Originally posted by Bojan View Post
                                  That was a reasonable cancellation considering the times.
                                  | Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney | Tamia |

Comment

• The 100 Best Dance Songs of All Time

29. Janet Jackson, “The Pleasure Principle” (1986)‬

‪It’s human instinct to seek pleasure and avoid pain, but Freud argued that the matured ego “no longer lets itself be governed by the pleasure principle, but obeys the reality principle,” or, more simply, defers said pleasure. Janet Jackson certainly followed this paradigm in her musical career, delaying her sexual satisfaction until the very end of her first two blockbuster albums and not fully submitting to it until 1993’s janet. While she took the reins of her professional life on her 1986 breakthrough, Control, the album’s final single, “The Pleasure Principle,” found her taking control of a personal relationship by refusing to settle for loveless materialism: “What I thought was happiness was only part time bliss.” Written and produced by one-time Prince keyboardist and Jam and Lewis cohort Monte Moir, the entire song parallels a fleeting love affair with a ride in a limousine, while the synths bump like busted shock absorbers and the electric guitar screeches like rubber on pavement. Janet (vis-à-vis Moir) invokes “Big Yellow Taxi,” a song she would more blatantly call on for 1997’s “Got ‘Til It’s Gone, while Moir, Jam, and Lewis pave over every soul tradition to put up a clanking, whirring, smashing industrial park. Cinquemani‬

24. Janet Jackson, “Rhythm Nation” (1989)‬

‪The sonic playroom that Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis built for their pet wind-up pop star Janet Jackson and her do-over debut, Control, already sounded like the Minneapolis sound declaring war on quiet storm R&B. So it was almost a given that the junior high ethics lessons of the Rhythm Nation project ended up literalizing Jam-Lewis’s drum programming-as-armament. “We are a nation with no geographic boundaries,” Janet drones without a trace of humor, “pushing toward a world rid of color lines.” Get the point? Good, now let’s dance with nunchucks. “Rhythm Nation” snatches an indelible sample of Larry Graham’s “Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)” bass licks, but shifts Sly Stone’s guarded political optimism into a direct attack on the 1980s’ culture of indifference.
                                    Janet’s interest in the state of the world only lasted for about half an LP side, but maybe that’s part of the statement. First beat justice into the system, then lean back and let the escapades begin. Henderson‬
                                    https://www.slantmagazine.com/music/...dance-songs/4/
                                    Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift •

Comment

• Americans like to rank everything and turn everything into numbers.
                                      They should just present them as suggestions in alphabetical or chronological order.
                                      Last edited by Bojan; Wed June 17, 2020, 23:26.
                                      Gone.

Comment

• On this day in 2006, “Call on Me” was released. Janet's 33rd UK top 20 single solidified her position as one of the all-time most successful singles artists in the country.

Number 1: Brazil
                                        Top 10: Italy, Japan
                                        Top 20: UK, Scotland, Ireland, New Zealand, Finland
                                        Top 30: United States, Slovakia, Sweden

“Call on Me” was Janet's fourth of five consecutive music videos the U.S. MTV refused to play.

Last edited by Bojan; Fri June 19, 2020, 02:38.
                                        Gone.

Comment

• No Sleep deserved more.
                                          Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                                          Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• Call On Me is one of my favorites Janet songs ever. Beautiful video as well

Comment

• "Call on Me" would have probably been a big hit in the U.S. if Janet wasn't blacklisted or if it was Mariah Carey's song. But, nevertheless, I am appreciative of how it performed on charts internationally, especially in some of her weakest markets like Italy and Brazil. Singles wise, the 2000s were a surprisingly decent decade in Italy for Janet.

#4 All for You
                                              #7 Call on Me
                                              #10 Doesn't Really Matter
                                              #16 Just a Little While
                                              #20 Make Me
                                              #28 So Excited
                                              #30 All Nite (Don't Stop)
                                              #34 Someone to Call My Lover

Beyoncé, for example, had a very similar chart performance in Italy in the 2000s and overall. They had similar albums sales as well (back then when sales were still high). It seems that Italians just aren't into that type of music and artists, but luckily, they aren't ageists either.

Last edited by Bojan; Fri June 19, 2020, 17:19.
                                              Gone.

Comment

• I really like Call on me! One of my faves on 20.YO.

Comment

• The 25 Most Anticipated Albums of Summer 2020
                                                  (Pitchfork, June 10, 2020)

Janet Jackson: Black Diamond

TBD

Janet Jackson doesn’t rest. Since releasing Unbreakable in 2015, she’s put out “Made for Now,” a giddy Afropop single with Daddy Yankee; reissued all of her albums on vinyl; toured in celebration of the 30th anniversary of Rhythm Nation 1814; and was finally inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Last month, Jackson announced her 12th album, Black Diamond, with yet another world tour in the works. There are few details around what Jackson has cooked up, but if the superstar guest features and bracingly honest songwriting on Unbreakable are any indication, Black Diamond is sure to be an event. –Eric Torres
                                                  https://pitchfork.com/features/lists...s-summer-2020/
                                                  Gone.

Comment

• Gone.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X