No announcement yet.

Janet Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy 36th anniversary to the "Control" album. Legendary and "Nasty" is still her best song.
    Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift •

Comment

• Originally posted by GetBack View Post
      I love her so much but I just realized that her creativity really went down the drain after Rene Elizondo. I mean, All for You was cute and continued the momentum of hits, there were gems there too but the album was only for Janet die-hards. Unbreakable was promising but it does not have the replay value her earlier classics have.

It's crazy how incredible Control, Rhythm Nation 1814, janet. and The Velvet Rope were. Solid pop R&B albums all throughout, she was way ahead of the filler-filled albums of Whitney and Mariah.
      100% True.

Comment

• Janet has filler on her albums to. All those interludes and random dance tracks. Whitney was the worst offender of filler though. Janet seemed like she had so much to say between the years 1986-1997 and then it was all about sex. For the those 11 years she did a great job of riding the like between sex and exploring other topics. Not to say her sex bops are some of her best. All Night Dont Stop is in my top 5 Janet songs.

Comment

• I love Janet and Velvet Rope (two of the best rnb albums ever imo) but I wouldn't describe them as filler free, but they do come very close. Some of the interludes are completely redundant, and I still have no idea how Everytime even made the cut for Velvet Rope.

Massive Mariah fan, but all her 90s albums except Emotions and Butterfly had some filler too. Weirdly her Rarities album showed they kept better songs off the albums in favour of more AC songs. The worst for it was Whitney..... For me she was pretty much a single artist only, I never use her albums

Comment

• Yeah Whitney wasn’t an album artist at all. I listened to her albums a couple of times but I don’t remember what they sound like a sec after I listened to them because there’s so many fillers. Except for the flawless "My Love Is Your Love" and maybe her last album as well.
            Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift •

Comment

• I think there is a big difference between fillers and album tracks. I would not consider Janet, MAriah nor Madonna's albums as "packed with fillers"... soem are better than others, but all in all each album of theirs have a line and showcase where they were at that moment as artists and humans.

Whitney I can't really tell, I adore her hits but hasnt been into her full discography.

I can say that some wanna-be divas have almost all of her albums packed with fillers, even taking their hits into account...
              CHECK UKMIX RETRO Chart Facts
              FIRST CYCLE or SECOND CYCLE

Comment

• Ok Every Time is great. The music video is gorgeous as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leo View Post
                  I think there is a big difference between fillers and album tracks. I would not consider Janet, MAriah nor Madonna's albums as "packed with fillers"... soem are better than others, but all in all each album of theirs have a line and showcase where they were at that moment as artists and humans.

Whitney I can't really tell, I adore her hits but hasnt been into her full discography.

I can say that some wanna-be divas have almost all of her albums packed with fillers, even taking their hits into account...
                  Well to me fillers doesnt mean "bad". I take album tracks and fillers to mean the same thing. Just songs that are ok but shouldnt be singles.

Comment

• Back then, after x and y, I always thought that moving away to other producers was a mild mistake. Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis 'made' her sound. It all just seemed to change after the Janet album, I just started to lose interest. I owned EVERY 7", 12", cassette and album of hers. Even the picture discs and Janet promo cube. Loved all of it. Then... Still think that's she awesome.
                    Last edited by excalibur1814; Tue February 8, 2022, 22:41.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kaloki View Post
                      I love Janet and Velvet Rope (two of the best rnb albums ever imo) but I wouldn't describe them as filler free, but they do come very close. Some of the interludes are completely redundant, and I still have no idea how Everytime even made the cut for Velvet Rope.

Massive Mariah fan, but all her 90s albums except Emotions and Butterfly had some filler too. Weirdly her Rarities album showed they kept better songs off the albums in favour of more AC songs. The worst for it was Whitney..... For me she was pretty much a single artist only, I never use her albums
                      All a matter of taste of course. For me Mariah's Emotions has no fillers. As for Whitney, she has many great album tracks as well IMO.
                      Treated me kind, sweet destiny, carried me through desperation... Prayed through the nights, carried the weight on my own and now I know I've succeeded in finding the place I conceived... I had a Vision of Love

Comment

• Stereogum's Number Ones column has now covered "That's The Way Love Goes": https://www.stereogum.com/2174805/th...e-number-ones/

Comment

• Janet speaking Japanese....why did I not know this until now.

Comment

• New interview:

She keeps avoiding the question about new music. And it doesn’t even sound like there's an album anymore because she's always talking about having recorded a lot of music that she has never released instead of new music.

Anyway she’s very cute as always

Comment

• We want Kaytranada album where was that!!??!? Black Diamond version 1.0 I want

Comment

• she was on bbc radio 2 breakfast show this morning, very good interview
                                what's going on?

Comment

• If new music does ever come out, she probably won’t even promote it like she is with the documentary.

It’s like when her book came out in 2011. She was everywhere talking about it but didn’t make a single appearance for Unbreakable.

Comment

• Not Every Time slander on the very page I came to say how obsessed with this song I’ve been lately. It’s an excellent ballad-melodically perfect.
                                    funny how one can learn
                                    to grow numb to the madness
                                    and block it away

Comment

• Originally posted by LambChild View Post
                                      Not Every Time slander on the very page I came to say how obsessed with this song I’ve been lately. It’s an excellent ballad-melodically perfect.
                                      Literally one of my favourites.

It's also a shame to see people saying her 'creativity went' after Rene left.

Following the documentary and buying these albums 'live', it all makes sense. She was oppressed, she found her sound and then she continued and modernised it. I adore the AFY album and whilst it's not as 'diverse' as Janet. or TVR, it's right for that time and the dance/pop artist, Janet always was. I feel that she has read the tone of every decade and gotten it right, her only mis step for me is that a lot of the 'light joy' seen in her albums was lost after the Superbowl.
                                      "What goes around comes back around my baby"

Comment

• Originally posted by aaliyahman View Post

Literally one of my favourites.

It's also a shame to see people saying her 'creativity went' after Rene left.
                                        Agree that this is a terrible take. Sounds rooted in misogyny to me.
                                        funny how one can learn
                                        to grow numb to the madness
                                        and block it away

Comment

YES!

Comment

• Originally posted by GetBack View Post
                                            I love her so much but I just realized that her creativity really went down the drain after Rene Elizondo. I mean, All for You was cute and continued the momentum of hits, there were gems there too but the album was only for Janet die-hards. Unbreakable was promising but it does not have the replay value her earlier classics have.

It's crazy how incredible Control, Rhythm Nation 1814, janet. and The Velvet Rope were. Solid pop R&B albums all throughout, she was way ahead of the filler-filled albums of Whitney and Mariah.
                                            It's just that she went through that period where she didn't have much more artistry to explore and was moreso trying to stay 'current' and keep up with a newer generation.

All For You/Damita Jo was similar to what Mariah went through with E=MC2/Memoirs and Madonna with Hard Candy/MDNA.

Comment

Nothing to do with misogyny - you’re just taking it there.

Comment

• no artist keeps up the same level of creativity in different decades. you are just not the same person in your 40s and 30s that you were in your 20s. you have a different view on life, different opinions, every artist peaks at some point
                                                what's going on?

Comment

• I just think that she changed her style. After AFY, it wasn’t pop rnb, it was Heavier RNB and dance and the pop fans felt left behind. The fact that she achieved commercial success in Dance and RNB and fused that together isn’t something I’d have expected of her when I hear ‘escapade’.

Do you expect her to come up with new genres? Or what? Also, who is ‘truly’ innovative decades into their careers? Yoko Ono?

Comment

• I think people say she lost her creativity because her albums and videos lost concepts after René left. A lot of her songs became about sex and she herself admitted that she wasn’t really feeling Damita Jo.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X