Janet Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 04wayne
    What does it say that she was paid $500k per show - I'd like to read that.
    It was in her contract to the venues.
    I will try to find a link to it later when I'm on a computer if you want to see it.

Comment

• Originally posted by freexone1
      Originally posted by atbw13
      Originally posted by freexone1
      Originally posted by JasonJ
      And regarding the big question: is her career over.

Nah, dont think so..
      Janet had a bad tour (lackluster sales), she got a luke warm last album, the death of her beloved brother (people dont understand that this was a big blow to her, I guess) and she has issues with her family now, which give her a very bad rep recently.

Janet is laying low now I guess, which is a good thing. She needs to let the dust settle, and find her groove again...
      Her last tour grossed 50 million+
      She performed 80 shows across 5 continents, 98% of which sold out.
      She earnt 500,000 dollars a show MINIMUM.
      The tour was backed by a greatest hits album, not even a studio release.
      Iīm sorry but you are inflating her figures way too much to say the least ...
      Many of her shows didnīt even gross that much !
      Here are some figures reported by Billboard showing that:

Wang Theatre Boston 3,477 / 3,477 (100%) $362,240
      Mohegan Sun Arena Uncasville 5,043 / 5,106 (99%) $330,270
      Fox Theatre Atlanta 4,395 / 4,395 (100%) $489,430
      Verizon Theater at Grand Prairie Grand Prairie 6,087 / 6,087 (100%) $445,278
      Bell Centre Montreal 3,366 / 3,434 (98%) $330,025
      Milwaukee Theatre Milwaukee 1,969 / 2,259 (87%) $241,037
      Orpheum Theatre Minneapolis 2,579 / 2,579 (100%) $256,556
      I quoted the above figures just to show that itīs impossible that Janet earned "$500k minimum" per show!
      The gross per show was around $500k (when they were sold out and on big markets , like Las Vegas or New York, for example).
      Of course the Tour was highly successful for what it was meant and not a flop as someone said.
      What you don't know is that she was PAID 500,000 each time just to show up. It was in her contract. Ticket gross and fee are two different things.
      does that means she was paid per show more than what she was able to cash in.
      Wowww not a big affaire for her label,lol.
      There's only one Queen
      and that's MADONNA.

Comment

Originally posted by biscuits
        Her last album in today's numbers was a hit. Not many artists today can sell 500,000 with hit singles let alone no hit singles and no promotion.
        What sort of argument is that? 'Discipline' was released in 2008, not 2012. 450,000 is very disappointing for a Janet Jackson album.

I think Janet should try and cater toward her older fans next time around, instead of trying to win over the teens.

There is very little difference between sales of 2008 to sales now.
        People need to quit using that argument. Sales have been bad for albums for years now.
        500,000 from 1 lukewarm single, and what ended up being one week worth of promo in 2008-2012 sales is very strong.
        Yeah, it did ok for an album without a major hit single (although 'Feedback' did go top 20) but she's Janet Jackson!

On a positive note, 'Number Ones' is close to 200,000 (400,000) so that's not too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by 04wayne
          What does it say that she was paid $500k per show - I'd like to read that.
          It was in her contract to the venues.
          I will try to find a link to it later when I'm on a computer if you want to see it.
          I do want to see it.

I find it very difficult to believe that some shows were running at a $150,000 loss after paying Janet and before even paying everyone else and the cost of the show.

Comment

• Originally posted by biscuits
            Her last album in today's numbers was a hit. Not many artists today can sell 500,000 with hit singles let alone no hit singles and no promotion.
            What sort of argument is that? 'Discipline' was released in 2008, not 2012. 450,000 is very disappointing for a Janet Jackson album.

I think Janet should try and cater toward her older fans next time around, instead of trying to win over the teens.

People need to quit using that argument. Sales have been bad for albums for years now.
            500,000 from 1 lukewarm single, and what ended up being one week worth of promo in 2008-2012 sales is very strong.
            Yeah, it did ok for an album without a major hit single (although 'Feedback' did go top 20) but she's Janet Jackson!

On a positive note, 'Number Ones' is close to 200,000 (400,000) so that's not too bad.
            I love your double standard judging album sales in general boy.

The album instead flopped really hard in my opinion.

As for Janet career, I pray her personal life choices doesn't take her far from the music, that's what I fear most :-?
            There's only one Queen
            and that's MADONNA.

Comment

• Originally posted by denise
              Originally posted by atbw13
              Originally posted by JasonJ
              And regarding the big question: is her career over.

Nah, dont think so..
              Janet had a bad tour (lackluster sales), she got a luke warm last album, the death of her beloved brother (people dont understand that this was a big blow to her, I guess) and she has issues with her family now, which give her a very bad rep recently.

Janet is laying low now I guess, which is a good thing. She needs to let the dust settle, and find her groove again...
              Her last tour grossed 50 million+
              She performed 80 shows across 5 continents, 98% of which sold out.
              She earnt 500,000 dollars a show MINIMUM.
              The tour was backed by a greatest hits album, not even a studio release.
              Iīm sorry but you are inflating her figures way too much to say the least ...
              Many of her shows didnīt even gross that much !
              Here are some figures reported by Billboard showing that:

Wang Theatre Boston 3,477 / 3,477 (100%) $362,240
              Mohegan Sun Arena Uncasville 5,043 / 5,106 (99%) $330,270
              Fox Theatre Atlanta 4,395 / 4,395 (100%) $489,430
              Verizon Theater at Grand Prairie Grand Prairie 6,087 / 6,087 (100%) $445,278
              Milwaukee Theatre Milwaukee 1,969 / 2,259 (87%) $241,037
              Orpheum Theatre Minneapolis 2,579 / 2,579 (100%) $256,556
              I quoted the above figures just to show that itīs impossible that Janet earned "$500k minimum" per show!
              The gross per show was around $500k (when they were sold out and on big markets , like Las Vegas or New York, for example).
              Of course the Tour was highly successful for what it was meant and not a flop as someone said.
              What you don't know is that she was PAID 500,000 each time just to show up. It was in her contract. Ticket gross and fee are two different things.
              does that means she was paid per show more than what she was able to cash in.
              Wowww not a big affaire for her label,lol.

The concerts as you know were low budget.
              The sponsors and Janet walked away laughing to the bank.

Comment

• ^ I still doubt it freexone....if it's true what you say....well good for her bank cheque.
                There's only one Queen
                and that's MADONNA.

Comment

LOL. 'Discipline' flopped, but 'Number Ones' did ok for a 2CD greatest hits package.

Comment

• This gross is baffling...

That venue can hold up to 22,000 people lol!

Comment

As for Janet career, I pray her personal life choices doesn't take her far from the music, that's what I fear most :-?
                      There is no denying that the album did not perform as expected. But this double standard of "Janet flopped" needs to stop. You can count on one hand the number of people that have sold past 1 million with hits these days. Janet didn't have a hot single, radio play, promo and yet she sold half a million. In today's (and by today I mean last 5 years) figures, that isn't that bad.

Comment

• Janet needs to do more award shows imo.
                        Diva!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by TIfan
                          Wow Janet haters pop out of no where to report a bad gross.
                          I'm not a Janet hater; its no skin off my nose whether she succeeds or fails.

Comment

• ^ Love that cheeky edit!

Comment

• LOL not trying to start anything but the tour did fine. Shes not grossing like Madonna or anyone else but who cares. She killed it!!! Its true she needs to do more award shows if she isw concewrn of sales which she probably is not. There are award shows in every country basically.
                              Diva!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by TIfan
                                Janet needs to do more award shows imo.
                                Iīm far from being a hater , I actually admire her a lot for all of her skills.
                                I just donīt think itīs possible that she made more money than the total gross of the show itself, thatīs all.
                                But I think weīd better leave it like that anyway!
                                Denise , we ( Madonna Fans ) will miss you A LOT !

Comment

• She should have toured in 2004. Tickets would have sold out quickly because everyone will have been wanting to see what happened in the show following the wardrobe malfunction.

Comment

• Originally posted by biscuits
                                    ^ Love that cheeky edit!
                                    I just realized that !
                                    At first I thought I had quoted the wrong post !
                                    I quoted before the edit and then ... a new sentence poppped up !
                                    Denise , we ( Madonna Fans ) will miss you A LOT !

Comment

Originally posted by TIfan
                                      Wow Janet haters pop out of no where to report a bad gross.
                                      I'm not a Janet hater; its no skin off my nose whether she succeeds or fails.
                                      Then why make a point of showing a fail, or even interpreting it as that?

There was a recent thread on the Janet main forum like this, someone posted 'should Janet's next tour be a farewell?'...

It's almost like they want her to do badly.

I wish we could be more appreciative of her work. Where is the positive spin!!?

What her fans fail to recognise is that Janet is in control more than ever. She's a free agent, she's done it all, shes made millions, The industry is not what it used to be.

She doesn't have to chart anymore. She can enjoy her work and her fan base should learn to do the same instead of focusing so closely on all the numbers and critiquing.

Comment

Its a talking point, stemming from YOUR statement that she received $500k per show, and that you had the article that stated it?

Which by the way, I'd still like to read...

Comment

Its a talking point, stemming from YOUR statement that she received $500k per show, and that you had the article that stated it?

It's not an article, it's the actual contract.
                                          It leaked during the tour.

I will post it laters

Comment

• Janet needs a great album if she wants make an impact on the charts. Surely her name alone would make the album debut high on the charts but i want longevity and good sales. Discipline was actually a great album, wish it did much better. That's the last Janet album i truly enjoyed. Damita Jo and 20 Years Old didn't cater for me.
                                            Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• But what is a great album spiritboy?
                                              I really am curious to know what that would mean for someone like either Janet, Mariah, Madonna.....I mean what would be labeled as a GREAT album for these legends?

is it great if it sells like 5 million or is t great if it is critucally acclaimed?

help us out...Y

everybodys thoughts on this question please.....

Comment

Okay, here it is...

And yes, the figure is $475,000, not $500,000 like I previously thought, but still, close enough.

Comment

• That amount of money she could have at least had a decent stage.

Comment

• and why did she have to go after michael's estate? which btw further damaged her image... probably more than Nipplegate.
                                                    My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy
                                                      and why did she have to go after michael's estate?
                                                      Oh you went there!

Comment

Originally posted by stevyy
                                                        Oh you went there!
                                                        it just disappointed me so much. I'm a huge JJ fan.. own all her albums.. and have alot of respect for her. I find her the only sane member of the family and yet she was really central in the latest jackson clan breakdown.
                                                        My Chart

Comment

• it doesnt say her name anywhere ...
                                                          nekoo.cz - follow me

Comment

Okay, here it is...

And yes, the figure is $475,000, not $500,000 like I previously thought, but still, close enough.
                                                            Do you have any more of it?

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy
                                                              Originally posted by 04wayne
                                                              Originally posted by stevyy
                                                              Oh you went there!
                                                              it just disappointed me so much. I'm a huge JJ fan.. own all her albums.. and have alot of respect for her. I find her the only sane member of the family and yet she was really central in the latest jackson clan breakdown.
                                                              She didn't do anything wrong. She did the right thing by Michael.
                                                              The malicious lies the estate is planting in the media about her proves that she's on the good side.

Comment

Working...
                                                              X