X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bojan
    replied
    Originally posted by jio View Post

Also, Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, responsible for co-composing all of Janet Jackson's first decade of hits (until and including the "All For You" album) and essentially making her a superstar were themselves part of The Time, a band that used to perform and release only Prince-composed songs (and whose name as a band was owned by Prince). Hence the similarity between the Prince and Janet '80s sound, even though the two never actually worked together (a shame if you ask me)
    Yeah. They didn't have concrete plans, but they had an idea that "Love Will Never Do (Without You)" could be a duet with Prince or other male singer. When Janet sang her first verse with low voice, pretending to be her male partner, they loved the way it sounded and decided to leave it like that.

On one hand, I'm sad she never had a duet with Prince, but on the other, I'm glad that she had all of her 10 BB Hot 100 number ones in a lead role, without featured artists or co-lead artists.

Leave a comment:

• jio
    replied
    Originally posted by Bojan View Post

Funny fact: Prince had a crush on La Toya, has a song on Rebbie's debut album, and regularly performed a song by Janet Jackson at his concerts.
    Also, Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, responsible for co-composing all of Janet Jackson's first decade of hits (until and including the "All For You" album) and essentially making her a superstar were themselves part of The Time, a band that used to perform and release only Prince-composed songs (and whose name as a band was owned by Prince). Hence the similarity between the Prince and Janet '80s sound, even though the two never actually worked together (a shame if you ask me)

Leave a comment:

• Bojan
    replied
    Originally posted by GetBack View Post
    Is Janet Jackson World her official YouTube account? It has almost all her music videos in high quality!
    It's a fan account. "Doesn't Really Matter" is really in a great quality.

Leave a comment:

• GetBack
    replied
    Is Janet Jackson World her official YouTube account? It has almost all her music videos in high quality!

Leave a comment:

• Bojan
    replied
    On this day, in 1995, Michael and Janet Jackson released their only duet, “Scream.”

Leave a comment:

• Bojan
    replied
    Happy birthday to Janet's older sisters, a Grammy-winning songwriter La Toya Jackson, and talented Rebbie Jackson, whose debut single went Gold in the U.S.and peaked at No. 4 in New Zealand.

Funny fact: Prince had a crush on La Toya, has a song on Rebbie's debut album, and regularly performed a song by Janet Jackson at his concerts.

Last edited by Bojan; Yesterday, 07:16.

Leave a comment:

• Bojan
    replied
    Originally posted by Choley View Post
    I'm listening to her first two albums.They aren't bad as people thought to be such a sweet and bubblegummy disco dance-pop albums.I like first one more
    They were made by great, current hit-makers and some of the bet producers, but it wasn't easy to make people pay attention to somebody's sister, and especially Michael Jackson's sister. The world didn't have and won't have any star that big, not even close, so it made easier to Janet to get a contract, but much harder to actually become make people listen to her music and become a star. Many brothers, sisters, sons and daughters tried, but only few succeed, in both, music and film. She had to come up with something really special and revolutionary.

Leave a comment:

• Choley
    replied
    I'm listening to her first two albums.They aren't bad as people thought to be such a sweet and bubblegummy disco dance-pop albums.I like first one more

Leave a comment:

• Bojan
    replied
    They need to fix this because I want to be able to watch her videos whenever I want, wherever I am.

Not on YouTube
    Nasty
    Let's Wait Awhile
    Diamonds
    Alright
    Love Will Never Do (Without You)
    The Best Things In Life Are Free
    Any time, Any Place (album version, the popular one)
    Runaway
    Together Again
    I Get Lonely
    Go Deep
    Every time
    You
    What's Gonna Be!?
    Doesn't Really Matter
    All For You
    Someone To Call My Lover
    Feel It Boy
    Just A Little While
    I Want You

Not available in the U.S.
    Got 'Till It's Gone

Available since 2018 but only in Canada, Japan, and the U.S.
    If
    You Want This

Available worldwide since 2018
    That's The Way Love Goes
    Again
    Whoops Now
    What'll I Do

4 U.S. No. 1 singles and 11 top 5 singles
    6 U.K. Top 5 singles, 4 top 10 singles, and 10 top 20 singles

They remastered and uploaded What'll I Do and Because Of Love but not Together Again or All For You? Like, seriously?

Leave a comment:

• JeremySpears
    replied
    Originally posted by sYair View Post
    Was it ever confirmed her new album will be called "Black Diamond"? I wonder if it's finished.
    Yeah Janet confirmed it in the post where she announced the album and the tour lol.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B8ZA76eJ...=1qekenpjzmwo3

Leave a comment:

• sYair
    replied
    Was it ever confirmed her new album will be called "Black Diamond"? I wonder if it's finished.

Leave a comment:

• Bojan
    replied
    Chris! ♥️

Leave a comment:

• Bojan
    replied
    The "janet." album was one of the best transitions from one decade to another. Many artists were trying, with more or less success, to put themselves together and adopt new trends in new reality. With Janet that came somehow naturally.

Only two albums in the in 90s and they sold around 40 million records (not counting DOAD, collaborations, or anything from RN1814). So impressive and more than enough for entire career.

Leave a comment:

• YouMakeMeFeel
    replied
    Girl, give us an album. Damn

Leave a comment:

• NormiMalone
    replied
    The janet. era was such an effortless reinvention. She really didn't miss a beat trading her buttoned-up Rhythm Nation image for slinky mid-drift-heavy styles. And the album is so eclectic, confidently moving through a variety of genres. What a triumph!

Leave a comment:

• Bojan
    replied
    In 1990, Virgin Records began talks to sign Janet Jackson – the world’s top female singer. The odds weren’t looking good that we would be able to pull it off. So I decided to go out on a limb and take Janet up above the clouds in a hot air balloon ride.
    Signing Janet Jackson By Richard Branson: https://www.virgin.com/richard-brans...-janet-jackson

I really wish Virgin Records, with Mr. Branson at the head, still exists. While it was his, it was by far the coolest label that ever existed,a major and indie label at the same time. Indie considering freedom they were giving to their artists, and major if we have in mind their investments, sales, and artists they signed.

Leave a comment:

• Yoshie
    replied
    Happy Birthday, janet.!

I like The Velvet Rope and Rhythm Nation 1814 more than this, Damita Jo too; but I've came to think that this is her most musically experimental effort. She branched out and experimented a lot here; for a self titled album there are many songs on it that didn't sound like usual Janet songs in comparison to Control and Rhythm Nation 1814. Lots of underrated album tracks here. The campaign itself was amazing and set a blueprint, particularly for many younger artists in the R&B/urban field who have imitated Janet's style.

Leave a comment:

• JeremySpears
    replied
    ^

So, so legendary. She literally invented the good girl gone bad transition that countless female artists (Britney, Xtina, Rihanna, Miley....) went through with that era. Let’s not forget the iconic Virgin record deal that she signed prior to its release. It's the best-selling album of her career, its opening week sales were the biggest first week sales for a female artist at that time and its one of only seven albums to produce six Top 10 hits (including two #1s). And we don’t even have to talk about its artwork. Arguably one of the most iconic pictures ever. And it’s an amazing album on top of all of that.

Legendary.

Leave a comment:

• Bojan
    replied
    Good morning!

On this day in 1993, “janet.” — the top-selling studio album by a female artist of the year in Europe, Canada, the U.S., and probably entire world — was released. Revisit this masterpiece on Spotify.

Leave a comment:

• Bojan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• red3269
    replied
    Happy birthday to the queen of music! The legendary Janet Jackson!

Leave a comment:

• Bojan
    replied

https://twitter.com/WORLDMUSICAWARD/...57634769825792

Leave a comment:

• Bojan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Bojan
    replied
    Happy Birthday, Janet.

Pillow Talk" is originally from the janet. sessions - David Ritz and Janet briefly talked about it in Billboard magazine in 2018.

Last edited by Bojan; Sat May 16th, 2020, 16:13.

Leave a comment:

• JeremySpears
    replied
    Happy Birthday legend!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X