No announcement yet.

ABBA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just added this to my channel, was so much fun creating this with so many great songs that totally stood
    the test of time!

You Love The 90's Dance Era?
    http://www.1.fm/station/partyzone90s

Comment

• On a positive note, 'ABBA Gold' is suddenly doing very well in both the Worldwide and European Itunes
      Album Charts. It is currently the World's 6th biggest Album - up from 9. It is doing even better across
      Europe. It has just become the 2nd biggest Album in Europe! Up from No.7. It is the UK's 12th biggest
      iTunes Album. I've no idea why it is doing so well again. It never stops selling. It must be on around 31
      Million to 32 Million Global Sales by now...

Yesterday I found out that Agnetha had the chance to have a Global No.1 Hit, with Michael
      Jackson
      , in 1987. He wanted the 1st Single off 'Bad' - 'I Just Can't Stop Loving You' - to be a Duet.
      He approached both Whitney Houston and Barbra Streisand, but they were not available. He then tried
      Aretha Franklin and Agnetha, but they were too busy as well. In the end he recorded it with Siedah
      Garrett and it was a huge Hit all over the World, including No.1 in the UK & USA. So Agnetha missed
      out on her biggest Solo Global Single there. It became Michael Jackson's 7th biggest Global Single...

Regarding The ABBAtars, if their 'Static Venue' is in the USA, (perhaps Las Vegas), I can't see many
      ABBA Fans from other Countries travelling all that way, to see 1 Concert. There are Air Fares to add in,
      and Hotel costs, and Tickets for the 'Show. If it were based in the UK, then it would at least be fairly easy
      to get to, from the rest of Europe, but not so good for USA, Canadian, Australian, New Zealand, South
      American and South African Fans. We'll have to see if it is able to 'pull' enough Fans in to make it all
      financially viable & sustainable. That's if The ABBAtars ever reach the 'Show' stage...

Zeus555

Comment

• Happy anniversary to 'Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight)', it was released exactly 40 years ago.

Today it is ABBA's 3rd most popular song on both Spotify and YouTube, after 'Dancing Queen' and 'Mamma Mia'.

My YouTube Channel - The best songs of the 80s, 90s and 2000s

Comment

• It is now the 40th Anniversary of 'Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight)' being released,
          as a Single. The time has flown by. I recall it coming out and I and an Irish Pen Pal were wondering
          if it could reach No.1 in the UK, as ABBA had not had a No.1 Single here since 'Take A Chance On Me'
          in early 1978. It all seems like just a few Years ago. 'Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!' reached No.3 here, in
          the end. It sold very well, for a No.3 Hit, and it was the 28th Best Selling UK Single, of 1979. So, it sold
          as well as many No.1 Hits, but did not quite get to that Chart Position. ABBA were still huge, of course,
          and 'Greatest Hits Vol.2' was soon released, with 600,000 UK Advance Orders. That was No.1 for 4 Weeks...

As some other ABBA Fans have expressed in the past, the only thing that I don't like about the 'Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!'
          Single is the Instrumental 'Bridge' in the 'Middle'. I think that it is too long. I'd rather that ABBA had used more of the
          engaging Intro Music in other parts of the Song...

Note -- On Tuesday 15th October 'ABBA Gold' rose from No.3 to No.2 in both the World iTunes Chart and in
          the European iTunes Chart. Awesome, for an Album that has been selling well since September 1992.

Zeus555
          Last edited by zeus555; Wed October 16, 2019, 09:12.

Comment

• Is there a release date set yet for the new song(s)?
            My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• The 10 most Iconic Abba songs?

My suggestions...in chronological order

1. Waterloo
              2. SOS
              3.Mamma Mia
              4. Fernando
              5. Dancing Queen
              6. Money Money Money
              7. Knowing Me Knowing You
              8. Take a Chance on Me
              9. Thankyou for the Music
              10 The Winner Takes it All

I am not taking sales here so have included TYFTM.

I have excluded Gimme Gimme Gimme - perhaps though that should be on the list.

More confident on excluding The Name of the Game, Chiquitita and Super Trouper. The Day Before You Came is not well known.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nameless View Post
                The 10 most Iconic Abba songs?

My suggestions...in chronological order

1. Waterloo
                2. SOS
                3. Mamma Mia
                4. Fernando
                5. Dancing Queen
                6. Money Money Money
                7. Knowing Me Knowing You
                8. Take a Chance on Me
                9. Thank you for the Music
                10 The Winner Takes it All
                Agreed, plus 'Gimme Gimme Gimme' & 'Super Trouper'. And 'Chiquitita' in the Spanish-speaking world.
                They definitely have more than 10 iconic songs, something that applies to only very few other bands (I can only think of the Beatles, the Bee Gees and Queen).
                My YouTube Channel - The best songs of the 80s, 90s and 2000s

Comment

• Originally posted by Benny View Post
                  Agreed, plus 'Gimme Gimme Gimme' & 'Super Trouper'. And 'Chiquitita' in the Spanish-speaking world.
                  They definitely have more than 10 iconic songs, something that applies to only very few other bands (I can only think of the Beatles, the Bee Gees and Queen).
                  I'd add Name of the Game , Super Trooper and Voulez-Vous too

Comment

• I wonder if ABBA will ever allow a 'Big Blockbuster' Film to be made, about their rise to
                    Fame, and its ups and downs? Queen allowed 'Bohemian Rhapsody'. Now, I hear that the
                    people behind the Queen Film have been given permission to do one about the Bee Gees.
                    If it goes ahead, no doubt it will start off 'Bee Gees Mania' around the World.

As a contrast, all of the ABBA 'New Song' and 'ABBAtars' delays have made a lot of ABBA Fans
                    start to lose interest. I'm one of them. Nothing exciting seems to be happening, except 'Spin-
                    Off's of 'Mamma Mia!'...

I had hoped that, if ABBA returned in 2019, or 2020, they could get Brits Nominations, for 2020 or 2021. However, that will never happen now. The Brits 'Committee' have now decided that only 9 Awards will be given out each Year, and the International Group Award has been cancelled! From now on, only Groups, from the UK will be Nominated. So ABBA's 1977 Nomination, looks like the only Brits acknowledgement, that they will ever get. When you think of all their UK success, it is laughable that The Brits pretty much ignore them. There was some sort of ABBA Tribute, at the Awards, in 1999, but ABBA were not given a proper Brits Award. Then we have Take That & Robbie Williams, who could build Towers out of their Brits Awards! (The International Male and International Female, Solo Awards, will still be presented).

The Brits have also scrapped the Outstanding Contribution To Music Award. That is only given to Acts that they regard as being truly huge. In the past it was given to The Beatles, Bee Gees, Queen, David Bowie and Elton John etc. ABBA will now never get the chance to be given it...

Zeus555
                    Last edited by zeus555; Fri November 8, 2019, 14:31.

Comment

• Happy New Year // Felicidad -- Clear Vinyl 7 Inch Single -- (2019)

Polar Music are Re-Issuing 'Happy New Year' on 6th December.

This time it will be on Clear Vinyl. 4,000 Worldwide copies are to be Pressed.

This follows on from the 3,000 copies of it, that were released on White Vinyl in 2018.

Once again the Spanish Language version will be the 'B' Side -- 'Felicidad'

Link - for Full Details:

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/news/...vinyl-edition/

Zeus555
                      Last edited by zeus555; Tue November 12, 2019, 17:51.

Comment

• Benny and Bjorn are now working on a Pippi Longstocking Project. Apparently, it is about her going to the Circus. It is due to open - in Sweden - round about June 2020. Bjorn says that no New Songs will be written for it, but some 'Old' ones will be adapted for it. Including at least one Benny Andersson Orchestra Song.

Somehow I find this News very depressing, as I really was hoping that Benny & Bjorn would concentrate on giving us more New ABBA Songs. It seems that they think that all their 'Projects' are equal. Not in the view of a great many ABBA Fans. This New Project makes me think that we'll never get the New ABBA Songs! Benny & Bjorn don't seem to see them as being very important...

There used to be a Swedish Pippi Longstocking TV Series on UK TV in 1969. It was dubbed into English. I recall that she was about 9 Years old and she paid for everything with Gold Coins. She used to buy a lot of Sweets. The Character is very popular in Sweden. Somehow she had a suitcase full of Gold Coins. Her Parents were gone. She survived in life on her own. Yet no-one robbed her. She just went around spending Gold Coins...

LINK:

https://www.thelocal.se/20191115/abb...ng-circus-show

Zeus555

Comment

• I used to watch Pippi Longstocking's tv show eons ago!

Anne with an E , a new show reminds me a bit of Pippi btw even though it's based on something totally different

Comment

• There is a UK 'Comedian' called Michael McIntyre. On Saturday, (23rd November), his 'Big Show' TV
                            Series is back, on BBC 1 - at 21.10. (9.10 pm). Bjorn is going to be a Guest on that first 'Episode'.
                            The 'Episode' will be repeated at 23.40, (11.40 pm), on Tuesday 26th November.

Here is a recent You Tube Video, (Friday 15th November), of a 2,100 Member Choir singing
                            'Dancing Queen',
                            in the National Arts Centre in Ottawa, (Capital of Canada). I think that it is
                            fun, charming and heartwarming. It is by Choir! Choir! Choir!, who are currently on an EPIC
                            ABBA Singalong Tour of Canada. Basically, the Audience becomes the Choir:

Zeus555
                            Last edited by zeus555; Thu November 21, 2019, 11:43.

Comment

• Bjorn on German TV ARD last night talking about writing the German lyrics to Klinga Mina Klockor

trebor's - 2016 in Country Music
                              trebor's - 2015 in Country Music

Comment

• What did he say please?

Comment

• Bjorn said this to 'Der Standard', (German Press Agency), on Friday 29th November 2019:

The long awaited new Abba songs will definitely be released in 2020, according to band member
                                  Björn Ulvaeus. "Next year, definitely, I can say that truthfully," said the 74-year-old Swede
                                  to the German Press Agency (Der Standard). He left open about the planned release date of "I Still
                                  have Faith In You" and "Don" t Shut Me Down ".

Zeus555

Comment

• Originally posted by zeus555 View Post
                                    He left open about the planned release date of "I Still
                                    have Faith In You" and "Don" t Shut Me Down ".

Zeus555

they sound like something a fan would say to Björn tbh hahah

Comment

• 'Happy New Year' has entered the UK Top 100 Singles Sales Chart - at No.57. It is also a
                                      Re-Entry, at No.1 in the UK Vinyl Singles Chart. It is its 7th Week, in that Chart. However,
                                      it is not in the Main UK Top 100 Singles Chart, which is the one that really counts...

So 'ABBA Gold' is the Decade's 46th Best Selling UK Album. This is the 3rd Decade in a row,
                                      that 'ABBA Gold' has been in the UK's Top 100 Best Selling Albums of a Decade. It was 9th
                                      for the 1990's, 25th for 'The Noughties' and now it is 46th for the 2010's. It has actually been
                                      in the Top 50 Decade Albums, for 3 Decades, of course, which is an even bigger achievement.

At present 'ABBA Gold' is on its 128th consecutive UK Top 100 Week. Its previous longest Top 100 'Run' was from
                                      January 1999 to June 2001 - 125 Top 100 Weeks. However, its current No.72 Position is its lowest since December
                                      2017, when it was at No.77 for a Week. Despite the 'Mamma Mia!' The Party Venue, and the 02 ABBA Exhibition,
                                      (both in London), there is Zero impact on the UK Sales of 'ABBA Gold'. Really, what is needed, is some New ABBA
                                      Music, to give ABBA a 'Boost' again, as the same Old ABBA Songs cannot be relied upon, to sustain interest, forever...

Zeus555

Comment

• On Thursday December 12th a German Publication(?) called Das Erste, (The First), Brisant, (Explosive),
                                        did an Interview with Bjorn. In it he only mentions 'I Still Have Faith In You' and 'Don't Shut Me Down'.
                                        So, we may only be getting 2 New ABBA Songs, after all the delays and teasing. He says that one of the
                                        Songs is by Agnetha Solo, and the other by Frida Solo. (The other Members will - no doubt - do harmonies
                                        and backing vocals). 'I Still Have Faith In You' is about ABBA themselves. They are the Subject of that Song.

Here is what Bjorn said:

"It will be time next year," said Björn and added "One song is a kind of ballad. It is about ourselves. It
                                        will be called 'I Still Have Faith in You'. The other song is called 'Don't Shut Me Down. Frida will sing one
                                        solo, Agnetha the other. But I don't want to reveal who sings what. " I am very proud of both songs. One
                                        is like a pop song from the seventies. The other is somehow timeless. About abbatars: The two songs will
                                        be the first ABBA songs since 1982! The singing is real. The artists come on to the stage as digital images,
                                        so-called avatars, from the computer. "We thought it would be much faster," said Bjorn. "But there were
                                        technical difficulties in producing our digital selves."

Zeus555

Comment

• Personally I can’t wait for new material. It’s going to be something out of the record books and revolutionary!

Comment

• 'Happy New Year' is currently World Itune's 17th biggest selling Song. It is also European iTunes 13th biggest
                                            selling Song. Across the World, it is an iTunes No.1 in 12 Countries, including Sweden and Lebanon where it
                                            is also at No.2. It is also Top 10 in 12 more Countries. (As always, there is far less interest in it in English
                                            Speaking Countries. The only 2 with it even in their Top 200 iTunes Charts are Ireland - No.23, and the UK -
                                            No.80. However, I do believe that it is its first entry in the UK's iTunes Top 100). In the past 24 Hours, it has
                                            had 313,517 Downloads. It usually has about 24,000 a Day. At the moment, it is ABBA's biggest Global iTunes
                                            Download, with 'Dancing Queen' 2nd - 272,816.

As usual, (at this time of Year), interest in 'ABBA Gold' has also risen. It is currently Global iTunes 2nd
                                            biggest selling Album, up from No.4. It is European iTunes 3rd biggest selling Album, up from No.4.
                                            ABBA are currently the World's 16th biggest act - up from No.38...

ABBA AND A CHRISTMAS SINGLE...

I realise that some ABBA Fans are delighted that ABBA never did a Christmas Single. However, ABBA would
                                            still be entering the Singles Charts, of many Countries, had they made one. In the UK, many Acts have just
                                            had their old Christmas Hits back in the Top 100. Several of them in the Top 10. These days, Mariah Carey
                                            only really has a UK Career, at Christmas. Her Singles can no longer get anywhere near the UK Top 10. Except
                                            at Christmas, where 'All I Want For Christmas Is You', has just been a No.2 Hit for the 4th time, and for its 6th
                                            Week. It is the same in the USA, where it has just given her, her 19th No.1 - just 1less than the USA record
                                            Holders - The Beatles, who had 20 No.1 Singles there.

We'd be seeing ABBA in the UK, German, Swedish, etc. Singles Charts, every November and December, if
                                            they'd made a Christmas Single. I find it very strange, that some ABBA Fans, are happy that it can't happen,
                                            due to some sort of: 'Christmas Songs are beneath ABBA', feeling. Why? They were not beneath Queen, Paul
                                            McCartney, Elton John, Coldplay, Slade etc., who all made Christmas Singles. Those Acts just got on with it.
                                            Many Christmas Songs are beautiful, such as a lot of the Carols. As in: 'The Little Drummer Boy' by The
                                            Harry Simeone Chorale. I'm not a Christian, but I like anything that is beautiful. ABBA would have created
                                            a truly great Christmas Single...

I think that it would be rather nice to see ABBA in many Countries Christmas Charts. Instead, they only
                                            really exist in the UK, Irish, Austrian and Switzerland Album Charts. Year after Year. Those Four Countries
                                            are where 'ABBA Gold' is a regular fixture. It also re-enters the German Album Charts, a few Weeks, per Year.
                                            They can - sometimes - Re-Chart with 'Happy New Year', in a few Countries - Sweden, The Netherlands,
                                            Germany, etc., and that is in January. But only for 1 Week, as the Song is only really about 1 Day. I really
                                            don't think that it is beneath ABBA to have recorded a Christmas Single. I'm sure that they would have come
                                            up with an: 'All Time Classic'. This would be based on the Song's Melody, Harmonies, Instrumentation, and -
                                            above all - Agnetha and Frida's Singing. I know that ABBA would have achieved that. It would have been
                                            special. I'm sad, that we will never hear it...

Zeus555

Comment

• ABBA / Live at Wembley / 3LP vinyl

ABBA‘s Live at Wembley Arena concert – first issued back in 2014 as part of the group’s 40th anniversary celebrations – is being made available again as a 3LP vinyl set.

Live at Wembley Arena presents the complete concert at the famous London venue from 10 November 1979. The set includes all the hits and a ‘new’ ABBA song called I’m Still Alive, a track that was performed on the night but subsequently never released commercially anywhere. Also, for the curious, Gammal Fäbodpsalm is, it’s an instrumental piece of music (written by Swedish composer Oskar Lindberg) used to open the concerts.

The 2CD version from 2014 is still easily available, but the 3LP vinyl went out-of-print very quickly and goes for eye-watering sums (regularly over £100) so this reissue should be welcomed by vinyl aficionados who may have missed out.

Even better, this time around this is a half-speed mastered (by Miles Showell at Abbey Road Studios) and these are being pressed at Optimal, so this should sound better than the previous edition. It comes with a download code.

ABBA Live at Wembley will be reissued on vinyl on 13 March 2020 via UMC/Polydor.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Live-At-Wem...?tag=sdepcw-21

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Live-At-Wem...?tag=sdepcw-21

>>>>>>>>>>> LAST.FM <<<<<<<<<

Comment

• Benny has said that we could get the 'New' ABBA Songs in September. He says that is what ABBA are 'aiming' for,
                                                but it is not his decision, 'Alone', to decide that.

Zeus555

Comment

• At this point he should just zip it until something actually comes out cause this ain't going nowhere.

Comment

• Soviet cover version of my favourite ABBA song :

My celebrity crushes : Monika Sedziuviene, Kristina Ivanova (YVA).
                                                    In my head I like to imagine LastDreamer in the land of Lithuania right now with a suitcase of simcards, a box of chocolates and a wedding ring. It would be a great base for an epic Eurovision fan fiction.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X