X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double post

Comment

• Originally posted by GetBack View Post
      Taylor Swift's "Bad Blood" up until reputation was obviously heavily influenced by Britney in terms of the dark, moody electro-pop and the visuals (Joseph Kahn).
      I think even her Reputation tour intro/interludes are inspired from Britney too

Comment

• Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift •

Comment

• "Outrageous" was amazing but I felt that there were better single choices. Of course, "Breathe on Me" is up there as one of the wasted singles for this era as well as "Shadow" which was one of her best ballads of her career.

Comment

• Britney and Sam got into a fight so she gave his number to children and told them that it’s Santa‘s hotline. And now he’s asking them to stop calling him in his Insta story.
            Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift •

Comment

• For the time being, Outrageous would've been a PERFECT single.

(it's also one of the few R.Kelly affiliated songs in my catalog that I can't bring myself to delete).

Yasssss for the How I Roll appreciation. Big tune.

Comment

• I agree that Breathe on Me deserved to be released as a single before Outrageous. I can only imagine how amazing the video would’ve been! I like Outrageous, but I definitely agree that there are better songs on In The Zone. I also think that even (I Got That) Boom Boom had more potential than Outrageous

Comment

• After the amazing remix for "Boys" with Pharrell flopped, there's no way that America was going to appreciate urban Britney. I think if R. Kelly was featured with a verse, it could have at least been a Top 40 hit for her.

Comment

After the amazing remix for "Boys" with Pharrell flopped, there's no way that America was going to appreciate urban Britney. I think if R. Kelly was featured with a verse, it could have at least been a Top 40 hit for her.
                    But you have to remember that with Boys she was banned from pop radios. Considering that after Toxic and Everytime she could rely on radio I think that anything from In The Zone could’ve been a hit

Comment

• IMO The song fits well to the era (2004 when the rap/r&b/urban topped).
                      As much as I love bom and tomh as songs and think they are better than outrageous they are too sexuall for the gp and they would probably banned from the radio and tv (like they did here in France with toxic video on MTV)
                      With not much promotion like video or live show it peaked 79 imagine with the right promotion and a killer video it would be top 20.

Comment

• Originally posted by Enzolorenzo View Post
                        But you have to remember that with Boys she was banned from pop radios. Considering that after Toxic and Everytime she could rely on radio I think that anything from In The Zone could’ve been a hit
                        How long did the ban last officially anyway? She was still flopping in the US with "Me Against the Music".

Comment

• Don’t forget that back then she wasn’t the most loved singer in the industry because of her sexual image so those song would just give her negative reviews (like erotica gave)

Comment

How long did the ban last officially anyway? She was still flopping in the US with "Me Against the Music".
                            2001-2003 (from DLMBTLTK to MATM).

She had a radio comeback with both “Toxic” and “Everytime”. And “Outrageous” without a music video even peaked at #79 which was higher than every “Britney (album)” single (except “Slave”), so yeah, as much as I dislike the song’s choice it’s very likely that with a music video, proper promotion and having the same treatment “Toxic” and “Everytime” got it could’ve been a Top 40 hit.

As for “Breathe On Me” being too sexual I can only see this being an issue in the US. Europe would have not minded it and it would’ve served a stellar follow up global single to “Everytime”, I think it would’ve gone Top 10 in most European markets like it was usual for Britney at the time.
                            Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                            Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• Was “Me Against The Music” really affected by the radio ban? I always thought that only the “Britney” singles were since “Me Against The Music” peaked at #11 on pop radio. I just assumed that it didn’t do that great on airplay since it wasn’t really radio friendly. I mean if you’re banned from pop radio you don’t reach a #11 peak, it would’ve probably peaked at #30 or something

Comment

Was “Me Against The Music” really affected by the radio ban? I always thought that only the “Britney” singles were since “Me Against The Music” peaked at #11 on pop radio. I just assumed that it didn’t do that great on airplay since it wasn’t really radio friendly. I mean if you’re banned from pop radio you don’t reach a #11 peak, it would’ve probably peaked at #30 or something
                                Despite the peak the song was not that much embraced by Pop radio as you make it seem, it only spent 10 weeks on the Pop Radio Top 40 which wasn’t really good considering it was a lead single released by a Superstar at the peak of her career with the biggest female pop act featured on the song. Take into consideration that even “Make Me” which was released after she had flopped and declined with “Britney Jean” and nearly 20 years into the music scene spent 11 weeks on the Pop radio Top 40.

Not to mention that the 2 vocalists of the single (Britney & Madonna) were having radio issues, Britney was coming from a radio ban which definitely affected MATM and Madonna who was blacklisted by Radio stations after the “American Life” single / era which turned into a fiasco in America and even ended up destroying her radio career in that country. MATM was never going to win in the US.

“Toxic” was a return to form and peaked at #1 on Pop Radio.
                                Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                                Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post
                                  Despite the peak the song was not that much embraced by Pop radio as you make it seem, it only spent 10 weeks on the Pop Radio Top 40 which wasn’t really good considering it was a lead single released by a Superstar at the peak of her career with the biggest female pop act featured on the song. Take into consideration that even “Make Me” which was released after she had flopped and declined with “Britney Jean” and nearly 20 years into the music scene spent 11 weeks on the Pop radio Top 40.

Not to mention that the 2 vocalists of the single (Britney & Madonna) were having radio issues, Britney was coming from a radio ban which definitely affected MATM and Madonna who was blacklisted by Radio stations after the “American Life” single / era which turned into a fiasco in America and even ended up destroying her radio career in that country. MATM was never going to win in the US.

Oh interesting, I didn’t know about that! Was Britney already banned from radio when “Don’t Let Me Be The the Last to Know” was released? I noticed that it didn’t even chart on Mainstream Top 40!

Comment

• I remember reading an article when In The Zone had been released that year, and they mentioned if Toxic hadn't been a hit then Britneys career would have been in serious trouble.

Comment

Oh interesting, I didn’t know about that! Was Britney already banned from radio when “Don’t Let Me Be The the Last to Know” was released? I noticed that it didn’t even chart on Mainstream Top 40!
                                      The ban started around Dream Within a Dream Tour, so no.
                                      I have received many gifts from God,
                                      but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

• (I Got That) Boom Boom was the song off In The Zone that needed to be a single, that song is still fresh and could have been pretty successful.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ewokguy15 View Post
                                          (I Got That) Boom Boom was the song off In The Zone that needed to be a single, that song is still fresh and could have been pretty successful.
                                          I agree that (I Got That) Boom Boom had potential, but my fear is that it would’ve been a local US hits

Comment

• Originally posted by Ewokguy15 View Post
                                            (I Got That) Boom Boom was the song off In The Zone that needed to be a single, that song is still fresh and could have been pretty successful.
                                            I agree that (I Got That) Boom Boom had potential, but my fear is that it would’ve been a local US hits

Comment

It would have done fine in UK, Australia and NZ, Australia ate her up that Era!

Comment

• In a perfect world, Boom Boom would have been a US single and BOM a worldwide single. I like Outrageous and the music video would have been good, but the song was not worth everything that came after.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post

The VMA hype for "Slave" and "Me Against the Music" (after the VMA performance) was so strong that the boycott was so evident. It's impossible for Britney to not be in Top 20 with how huge those songs were.

Just imagine if Spotify and streaming existed, Britney would have collected Rihanna number ones left and right. Anyway, at least, Britney had juggernaut worldwide album sales.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bazmedia View Post
                                                    I remember reading an article when In The Zone had been released that year, and they mentioned if Toxic hadn't been a hit then Britneys career would have been in serious trouble.
                                                    This could have been a fact, I don’t believe she could have survived following MATM with a flop or another weak radio single, fortunately “Toxic” was a safe bet, IMO it was impossible for that song to not smash, It was a perfect pop song.

Before “Toxic” was released as a single and I heard the album for the first time “Toxic” was the immediate standout to me, I remember thinking “this has to be the next single and it’s definitely going to smash”, the song really surprised me and hooked me right away on first second. I was a bit shocked after I found out her label didn’t want it to become a single but at the end the right thing happened and it was brilliant.

“Toxic” elevated her career a lot, it gave her some level of acclaim she had not experienced before and it put her back on top. I mean it’s not like she was doing bad or anything but I do feel her singles were progressively getting weaker and “Toxic” kinda reversed that, it was literally her biggest event and most impactful song since the “Oops I Did It Again” (single) that had been released 4 years prior.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X