U2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U2

Biggest band in the world is planning a release by June before taking to the road on tour

Irish Independent, December 27, 2009
    By: Niamh Horan

IRISH rockers U2 have delivered a late Christmas present to their loyal fans this weekend by promising to release a new album by June.

Speaking exclusively to the Sunday Independent at Leopardstown Races yesterday, U2 frontman Bono revealed the band had been working hard on new material in the run-up to Christmas and are hoping to have a new chart-topping album on shelves before the summer.

Speaking about the upcoming release, Bono described how the band had been putting in the hard work in the studio in recent weeks: "We are working away and we have a couple of yearlings in the stables that could really turn out to be thoroughbreds in the future," he said.

"As a band you are always trying to work on new material and we had some unfinished material from the last album.

"I would love to elaborate a bit more but unfortunately it is a democracy -- and sure isn't that the world that we live in?"

One person who had no problem elaborating, however, was U2 manager Paul McGuinness.

The legendary music mogul described how the world's biggest rock group are confident of having the album released by June.

"I have heard some of the stuff the guys have played and, yeah, it is great. Bono is always an optimist but he seems confident of getting a new record out by the end of the next six months. They're talking about June. By that time we will be ready to go back on tour and I think that will give it a different flavour."

Mr McGuinness also described how sales of concert tickets "have been incredible" for the band -- despite the current recession.
    "Most of the shows left are either sold out or close to being sold out, which is terrific. We're defying gravity at this stage -- it's incredible."

===

The world's best band are back...already!

i dont like the usual 4/5 year breaks between albums
    2010 is a good time to come back
    28 AUGUST 2009
    THE DAY MUSIC DIED
    OASIS 1994 - 2009
    LIVE FOREVER

Comment

Concert sales might be great, but the sales of the last U2 album were not. It went streight to number 1 and then fast downhill on all major charts. I like No Line On The Horizon thought.

Comment

That's fast! I'm looking forward to it, becaus I really enjoyed 'No Line On The Horizon'. Shame it didn't lift more singles.
        Big.Big.Booty.

Comment

Biggest band on the planet, I dont think so anymore. People have lost interest especially with their dire last effort
          You say that I must eat so many lemons, cos I am so Bitt-er

Comment

I hope it's another great artistic album like NLOTH and not a "we have to do a safe album" ala ATYCLB or HTDAAB. I like U2 a little on the edgy side
            My top 100 artists (2018 edition)

Comment

See that's the opposite with me. I'm all for artists experimenting and testing new sounds, but I think U2 are at their best when they play it straight. Wasn't a big fan of NLOTH, though there were a couple good songs. Thought HTDAAB was their best album in years.

Comment

Originally posted by westhammer
                Biggest band on the planet, I dont think so anymore. People have lost interest especially with their dire last effort
                They are the biggest band on the planet; they managed one of the biggest-selling albums of last year, and are currently in the midst of the BIGGEST tour of all-time.

Ain't no bigger, love!

Comment

Originally posted by frozone
                  See that's the opposite with me. I'm all for artists experimenting and testing new sounds, but I think U2 are at their best when they play it straight. Wasn't a big fan of NLOTH, though there were a couple good songs. Thought HTDAAB was their best album in years.
                  I thought 00's U2 was a snoozefest compared to the 90's experimental stuff. Even though Pop wasn't a great album, the whole PopMart tour thing was exciting. They spent so much of this decade making straight ahead music to appeal to the widest audience possible to regain fans they might've lost and their stage shows weren't as exciting. I'm glad Bono and company seemed to regain some of the hunger. If they didn't, they would be close to getting a one-way ticket to Stones-ville.

Comment

Originally posted by 04wayne
                    They are the biggest band on the planet; they managed one of the biggest-selling albums of last year, and are currently in the midst of the BIGGEST tour of all-time.

Ain't no bigger, love!
                    Maybe so, but I think Coldplay are far more popular now
                    You say that I must eat so many lemons, cos I am so Bitt-er

Comment

According to Rolling Stone magazine, the album will be called SONGS OF ASCENT
                      Big.Big.Booty.

Comment

Originally posted by BanZai
                        old news. http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/i ... ver-story/
                        MUSIC MAKES THE PEOPLE COME TOGETHER.
                        YEAH!___________Last.FM

Comment

Originally posted by BanZai
                          Its been listed on my New Release Schedule for weeks

Comment

Originally posted by 04wayne

Ain't no bigger, love!
                            Maybe so, but I think Coldplay are far more popular now
                            Woop! Band War! Well its the new generation
                            MY PERSONAL CHARTS
                            NA NA NA NA OH OH

Comment

I don't think Songs of Ascent will come to fruition. It's really just a bunch of b-sides from the No Line era, and Bono said if the quality isn't better than No Line, they won't release it.

Comment

I don't think Songs of Ascent will come to fruition. It's really just a bunch of b-sides from the No Line era, and Bono said if the quality isn't better than No Line, they won't release it.
                                Isn't this album more along the lines of Zooropa, which was written and recorded after Achtung but still soon enough afterwards that it's viewed as a companion sister piece to AB instead of it's own album/era? I was under the impression that it's not NLOTH outtakes but new material they began working on shortly after finishing NLOTH.

Comment

^that was my impression, too.

Comment

You may be right. I remember reading somewhere that they recorded about 100 songs for NLOTH, and were planning on using some of them for this new album. They'll probably re-record most of them and record some new stuff.

Comment

eew :S
                                      Last.fm

Comment

But i want to hear everything
                                        U2 C sides are still gonna be good
                                        28 AUGUST 2009
                                        THE DAY MUSIC DIED
                                        OASIS 1994 - 2009
                                        LIVE FOREVER

Comment

ok, it's May. Songs Of Ascent was due to be released in June, I guess it's pushed back

Comment

you're kidding. U2 has not recorded a GREAT song from years.
                                            Rate Your Music profil
                                            Last.fm profil

Comment

Originally posted by herculean
                                              Magnificent <3
                                              Hater-bitch, we're taking you to the left.

Comment

really?! their last album has some great tracks...How to dismatle has even better songs...
                                                "Your actions speak louder than promises/You're inclined to make and inclined to break"

Comment

Really? There are some amazing songs in the last ten years.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X