No announcement yet.

Madonna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I still regularly revisit several "Ray of light" songs on their own such as:

- "Drowned world / substitute for love"
    - "Swim"
    - "Ray of light"
    - "Candy Perfume Girl"
    - "Skin"
    - "Nothing really matters"
    - "Sky fits heaven"
    - "The power of goodbye"
    - "Mer Girl"
    - "Has to be"

Basically most of the songs work for me as stand alone pieces.

The only songs I don't revisit much on their own are: "Shanti/Ashtangi", "To have and not to hold", "Little star" and surprisingly "Frozen" (I think it turns overly repetitive long after the first half). I only listen to these songs when I listen to the album in full.
    Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
    Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• Re: Madonna

Although I only dislike Candy Perfume Girl, nowadays I only revisit on a regular basis:

Frozen
      Ray of Light
      The Power of Good-Bye
      Nothing Really Matters
      My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• Originally posted by BodyShop
        Yeah ,those 10 secs sound quite generic and not epic at all such a huge difference from most of the others.
        "Rebel heart" had the worst 10 first seconds to me. Like after listening to all of these iconic openings "Living for love" was so underwhelming with such autotuned overly processed start.

I think "4 minutes" and "Secret" should have been the opening tracks on "Hard candy" and "Bedtime stories" respectively tho.

Every other opening was just EPIC !! Especially "Lucky star", "Papa don't preach", "Like a prayer", "Erotica" and "Drowned world".
        Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
        Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

I love the first ten seconds of Living For Love (Rebel Heart). It still gives me chills, like something really magical is coming.
          A modern day Like A Prayer feel somehow.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix
            I still regularly revisit several "Ray of light" songs on their own
            Me too.
            My faves : Candy Perfume Girl,Swim,Skin,SFH,.
            Frozen is a song I will probably never get tired of it's one of my favorites ever by any artist.
            It's interesting how my faves remained the same since I first listened to the album. The only exception is The Power Of Goodbye.
            I remember how disappointed I was when i knew ,back then, that it would be the next single (well,what did I know being 18/19y.o. ,right? )
            Today ,it's one of my favorites.

Edit: ugh! How could i forget Mer Girl ??? It's so creepy and haunting ! I looooove it !!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay
              Although I only dislike Candy Perfume Girl, nowadays I only revisit on a regular basis:

Frozen
              Ray of Light
              The Power of Good-Bye
              Nothing Really Matters
              You basically revisit the most commercial singles of it.

There are so many great deep cuts in there. Nothing is more pleasant than listening to "Mer girl" during a rainy morning or listening to "Sky fits heaven" when you're travelling, or listening to "Has to be" late at night.

ROL has both uplifting and heavily moody tunes. When I feel introspective I always pick on songs like "Swim", "Mer Girl", "Drowned world" or "Has to be" and I can perfectly get into them as stand alone songs. When I feel empowered I pick on "Ray of light" or "Sky fits heaven" and when I simply want to enjoy some Rock / alternative stuff "Candy perfume girl" is often in many of my playlists.

Comment

I love the first ten seconds of Living For Love (Rebel Heart). It still gives me chills, like something really magical is coming.
                A modern day Like A Prayer feel somehow.
                Me too ! Tbh,i really liked LFL from the get go ,although i knew it wasn't as great as most of her past leads.
                But,well,after Luvin', I was in heaven to get a decent song at least lol

Comment

Originally posted by RayRay

Frozen
                  Ray of Light
                  The Power of Good-Bye
                  Nothing Really Matters
                  You basically revisit the most commercial singles of it.
                  True. I feel they fit any playlist I make. While the other songs are great too, but feel so out of place when I play them in between songs of other artists.

Comment

Originally posted by MrLeonix
                    I still regularly revisit several "Ray of light" songs on their own
                    Me too.
                    My faves : Candy Perfume Girl,Swim,Skin,SFH,.
                    Frozen is a song I will probably never get tired of it's one of my favorites ever by any artist.
                    It's interesting how my faves remained the same since I first listened to the album. The only exception is The Power Of Goodbye.
                    I remember how disappointed I was when i knew ,back then, that it would be the next single (well,what did I know being 18/19y.o. ,right? )
                    Today ,it's one of my favorites.

Edit: ugh! How could i forget Mer Girl ??? It's so creepy and haunting ! I looooove it !!!!
                    Same here. I felt The Power of Good-Bye was a lesser version of Frozen. But in retrospect I'm so glad it got a single release. The song was everywhere and it grew on me and now I love it sooooo much!

Comment

• ^Here in Brazil,the song was not as big as the previous ones so it actually took me years to fully appreciate it.
                      I had an instant love for the video though . How ciuld it be any different though? She looks stunning !

Comment

^Here in Brazil,the song was not as big as the previous ones so it actually took me years to fully appreciate it.
                        I had an instant love for the video though . How ciuld it be any different though? She looks stunning !

I don't like the video of The Power of Good-Bye much to be honest.
                        Her hair not divaesque enough, her eyes weird light colored and her dress nothing special.
                        I prefer her in videos where she's really a diva like Vogue, Express Yourself, Bad Girl, Marterial Girl, Ghosttown, etc.

Comment

• Yeah we ain't agreeing on anything
                          Let's leave it like that

Comment

Yeah we ain't agreeing on anything
                            Let's leave it like that
                            We agree on Madonna being one of the greatest artists ever!

Comment

Let's leave it like that
                              I never agree with anything RayRay likes or says either, he literally has the opposite taste of mine.

I personally think "The power of goodbye" music video is one of those where she looked her best, so stunning, simple but elegant, and stunning. She really takes my breath away with that music video.

Comment

Originally posted by BodyShop
                                Let's leave it like that
                                I never agree with anything RayRay likes or say either, he literally has the opposite taste of me.
                                That's why it's great Madonna releases such different songs, albums and videos.
                                This way there's always something to love for everyone of us.

Comment

Well, thats cool, although we literally disagree in everything not just with Madonna but with every single artist

Comment

Originally posted by BodyShop
                                    Let's leave it like that
                                    We agree on Madonna being one of the greatest artists ever!
                                    We surely do

I personally think "The power of goodbye" music video is one of those where she looked her best, so stunning, simple but elegant, and stunning. She really takes my breath away with that music video.
                                    I think that among others ,one of her main purposes throughout the whole Ray of Light Era was to abolish anything 'diva' . She was portraying a new Madonna,someone who had changed a lot in face of everything that happened in her life during the previous years,especially motherhood.
                                    In all her videos,she looks the opposite of a diva ,especially on DW/SFL of course, as the song itself talks about this subject of trading fame and fortune for bigger, better and real things in life .
                                    The era is so unique and so the different of everything she had done up until then.
                                    It really represents a unique and never to be duplicated moment in her career !

Comment

• The Power aid Goodbye is the “safer” song on the album and an obvious choice as a single!!

She looked stunning on the video!!

Comment

I think that among others ,one of her main purposes throughout the whole Ray of Light Era was to abolish anything 'diva' . She was portraying a new Madonna,someone who had changed a lot in face of everything that happened in her life during the previous years,especially motherhood.
                                        In all her videos,she looks the opposite of a diva ,especially on DW/SFL of course, as the song itself talks about this subject of trading fame and fortune for bigger, better and real things in life .
                                        The era is so unique and so the different of everything she had done up until then.
                                        I think you're right. Still, to me she looked very much the glittering diva in Frozen (video and coversleeve) as well as on the coversleeve of the Ray of Light album. So I especially loved the start of the era when it comes to looks.

Comment

Well, thats cool, although we literally disagree in everything not just with Madonna but with every single artist
                                          Funnily enough, we do like some of the same artists: Madonna, Kylie...

Comment

And I loved that. Honestly that Diva Queen thing is a dated concept that should be left stuck back in the 80s and 1990 when it worked.

That more adult, mature and artistic Madonna from the ROL era was simply amazing and my personal favorite of all of her reinventions. For me it was like a switch that separates the old-fashioned Madonna with a new modern Madonna that was about to conquer the millenium.

Comment

^ Disappointed when she returned to being Diva Queen for Music?

Comment

Funnily enough, we do like some of the same artists: Madonna, Kylie...
                                                Kylie is not among my faves tho. I just did my Top 20 Kylie singles because I know she has a new era coming and stuff but she's not even among my Top 5 female artists

1. Madonna
                                                2. Britney Spears
                                                3. Amy Winehouse
                                                4. Tina Turner
                                                5. Donna Summer

Kylie and Beyonce would be either 6 or 7. And thats only filtering the list with females because if I did my overall list including male acts and bands that I like the only female in my Top 10 would be Madonna (and she would rank like #9).

Comment

^ Kylie is not in my Top 5 either. But if you can rank 20 of her songs, you must be a fan.

My most listened to singers of the last two years (according to last.fm):
                                                  1. Mariah Carey
                                                  2. Madonna
                                                  3. Celine Dion
                                                  4. Lara Fabian
                                                  5. Debbie Gibson

Although I do have Britney, Amy Winehouse, Tina Turner and Donna Summer in my playlist.

Comment

^ Disappointed when she returned to being Diva Queen for Music?
                                                    LOL nope. She was not a Diva Queen during the "Music" era AT ALL. She explored a lot with folk and acoustic music during that era and mixed it with electronica, I lived and stanned hard for that cowboy girl reinvention and we got marvellous creative songs that I loved such as "Don't tell me", "I deserve it", "Gone", "Nobody's perfect", "What it feels like for a girl". The album was super introspective, her fashion of the time was casual like wearing jeans and hats, and the Tour was way more experimental and mature than her previous ones.

She was not at all this campy drag-queen-ish Diva during "Music".

Comment

Working...
                                                    X