X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Material Girl behind the scenes

Comment

• Originally posted by upushme View Post
      I would have preferred I Deserve It as fourth single. And with a nice country-style video.

Ew. Everyone would have fallen asleep. Gone would have been better.

Comment

• Originally posted by Angeman View Post

Im guessing you dont like MX then? You seem to dislike Mirwais. Lol
        I do like Mirwais and Madame X. But when I became a Madonna fan some years ago I remember people here praising Impressive Instant and then I heard it and I was like... ok, not my cup of tea

I wonder why M left out of Music songs like Arioso and the ABBA cover, they are amazing.
        http://oi42.tinypic.com/2m3lnpv.jpg

Follow me on LastFM: http://www.lastfm.es/user/S-Yair

www.instagram.com/sebastiansuaid/

Comment

• Originally posted by sYair View Post
          I wonder why M left out of Music songs like Arioso and the ABBA cover, they are amazing.
          Because neither of those would fit on Music. They sound like an awkward step between ROL and Music, but more on the ROL sonic side.
          I have received many gifts from God,
          but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

• Originally posted by beredy View Post
            Because neither of those would fit on Music. They sound like an awkward step between ROL and Music, but more on the ROL sonic side.
            Left over songs would always be nice as b-sides.
            My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post

Left over songs would always be nice as b-sides.
              If they're finished, which these two were far from (and you can tell). Also Madonna, being cheap as she is, is not paying rights to ABBA for a leftover B-side. And she did a much better ABBA reuse later on.

Comment

She could've included them as the Music album is very short anyway.

Comment

• Anyone knows when the Madonna solo version of "Be Careful" was recorded? And who produced it? Wikipedia says it was registered as early as 1997.

Comment

• Originally posted by sYair View Post

She could've included them as the Music album is very short anyway.
                    I would disagree about the album length. And as I said those two you mentioned don't fit the sound of Music at all. There were other songs that leaked that would've been a better inclusion to the album.

Comment

• I think the story around the 4th single of Music is mostly speculation, especially the rumour that Madonna cut Amazing from the tour when it's most likely it wasn't even rehearsed. Remember Warner wanted WIFLFAG as the 2nd single and they even let Madonna to do that video set to the remix, which eventually got banned and sounded nothing like the album version that was promoted to radio so by the time the tour started, they most likely knew Madonna wouldn't film any new videos. I think Warner was also quoted in retrospect that the album didn't need a 4th single and they were most likely correct about that commercial-wise as it would have done little for the album at that point.

Let's also remember Warner released GHV2 without a single so it's unlikely there was a big tension about the possible 4th single of Music.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elazul View Post
                        I think the story around the 4th single of Music is mostly speculation, especially the rumour that Madonna cut Amazing from the tour when it's most likely it wasn't even rehearsed. Remember Warner wanted WIFLFAG as the 2nd single and they even let Madonna to do that video set to the remix, which eventually got banned and sounded nothing like the album version that was promoted to radio so by the time the tour started, they most likely knew Madonna wouldn't film any new videos. I think Warner was also quoted in retrospect that the album didn't need a 4th single and they were most likely correct about that commercial-wise as it would have done little for the album at that point.

Let's also remember Warner released GHV2 without a single so it's unlikely there was a big tension about the possible 4th single of Music.
                        That story comes from the mouth of the guy whose remixes of II got it to #1 on Club Charts, so it's not some random rumor without a source. Also it wouldn't be the first time Madonna cut a song from the setlist to give middle finger to Warner - she removed American Pie from GHV2 because Warner added it as a bonus track on non-US releases, which she didn't like.

Comment

• I wouldn't think that the remixer DJ would know about Madonna's tour setlist decisions, especially since it's about another song she supposedly cut. If Warner REALLY wanted Amazing to be a single they could have released it with a montage or whatever like they did with the UK release of Fever. I also doubt they would be able to use a live performance without her consent as a video nor that she would be too invested in such stuff when there were several "without video" singles of hers. Not to mention that Runaway Lover was not performed on tour while she did it on the promo gigs. I believe only I Want You was ever confirmed as a considered number for the tour that didn't pan out.

The case of American Pie is different, it's likely that Warner let it be absent from GHV2 for the exact reason they put it on the non-US releases of Music. It wasn't even on the work-in-progress tracklist, unlike You'll See.

Comment

• What if she was trying to have one of his remixes for the video (to continue in the WIFLFAG style) and that's how he was aware of what was going behind the scenes? You're dismissing the whole thing on personal assumptions. he did continue to work with Madonna and her team on her later singles. And the whole story does make sense in the view that Madonna and Warner have been butting heads more and more as her contract was coming to an end.

Also they don't need her consent to use a video from her tour - they owned it, that's what contracts are for. What does Runaway Lover have to do with II and Amazing though?

Comment

• Originally posted by Elazul View Post
                              I wouldn't think that the remixer DJ would know about Madonna's tour setlist decisions, especially since it's about another song she supposedly cut. If Warner REALLY wanted Amazing to be a single they could have released it with a montage or whatever like they did with the UK release of Fever. I also doubt they would be able to use a live performance without her consent as a video nor that she would be too invested in such stuff when there were several "without video" singles of hers. Not to mention that Runaway Lover was not performed on tour while she did it on the promo gigs. I believe only I Want You was ever confirmed as a considered number for the tour that didn't pan out.

The case of American Pie is different, it's likely that Warner let it be absent from GHV2 for the exact reason they put it on the non-US releases of Music. It wasn't even on the work-in-progress tracklist, unlike You'll See.
                              Not at all. The issue between "Amazing" and "Impressive Instant" (aka WB vs Madonna) was actually not just a rumour at the time. It did happen. Eventually, "Amazing" was a radio single in some European and South American countries (I own the Colombian promo CD!) and II got Club/DJ treatment in the USA (I own 2 of the 12" Peter Rauhofer US club promos). WB truly believed there wasn't mainstream potential for the song. As for "American Pie", Madonna did mention, at least once, how she "punished" the song and didn't add on on GHV2, after being convinced by WB to include it on the Int'l version of Music. That said, if it hadn't been for that later adition, AP would've fallen into oblivion (more than it already is). Like people would look for the "The Next Best Thing" soundtrack on Spotify/Apple Music. Is it even on there? Poor "Time stood still".
                              “A sure way to lose happiness, I found, is to want it at the expense of everything else.” - Bette Davis

Comment

• I didn't disagree about American Pie but the inclusion and the exclusion of the track on albums has nothing to do with a supposed 4th single release and a song cut from a tour setlist because of a supposed feud. I know there is a promo CD of Amazing but there is still no proof for more than that. I think the WIFLFAG maxi-single was released on May 1st in the US so it's very likely the tour setlist was complete at the time and there were no changes in the last month (remember on RIT Madonna did do that with Material Girl and we got studio versions of axed songs) and it was her first tour in almost eight years and her second child wasn't even a year old so you'd think there was more planning in advance. Was Nothing Really Matters excluded because it was a flop? I doubt it.

It is plausible Madonna herself wanted Impressive Instant as a single based on its setlist placement on the tour but that doesn't mean there was an actual feud. In the 2000s fans loved to theorize about the supposed relationship between Madonna and Warner to make it seem it was what Prince went through because several of her singles couldn't reach their assumed potential but outside the American Pie thing there was no proof.

Not to mention that 10 out of 15 songs of GHV2 were actually on tour as well, including three songs that weren't hits but they were still used in favor of her mid-90s output...
                                Last edited by Elazul; Tue April 28th, 2020, 11:45.

Comment

• What do you all think Madonna will do next musically?

Comment

• Except that DJ didn't come out with the story until 2003, well after the Music era was over and DWT. Why would he make it up? It wasn't something fans theorized about, but this came from (more or less) reputable source.

Comment

• Silvertop House in Los Angeles is where she filmed the video of The Power of Goodbye in 1998

Comment

• Originally posted by Rebel X View Post
                                        What do you all think Madonna will do next musically?
                                        We won’t probably know about that in like 5 years. I don’t think she’ll release another album anytime soon and honestly I have NO idea what she could do musically.
                                        Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Comment

• A well produced covers album would be interesting. None of that If I had a Hammer or acoustic Cant Help Falling in love BS...

Comment

• #justiceforbedtimestories

Comment

• Originally posted by Rebel X View Post
                                              What do you all think Madonna will do next musically?
                                              Interesting question ! She's definitely shown her musical versatility over the years so any guess is valid. Perhaps an album that incorporates "world music" elements, like "Frozen" and more recently "Killers Who Are Partying" ?
                                              If you have 5 minutes, please check out my song "Alibi" on YouTube.

Comment

• Originally posted by Migrate View Post

Interesting question ! She's definitely shown her musical versatility over the years so any guess is valid. Perhaps an album that incorporates "world music" elements, like "Frozen" and more recently "Killers Who Are Partying" ?
                                                And as versatile as she’s been, I wish she could deliver a shorter and more cohesive album next time around. Both Rebel Heart and Madame X had great songs on them, don’t get me wrong, but I do think that the plurality of genres probably confused the average listener. What’s the theme? Message? What binds the songs together? In Rebel Heart she tried to pretend that the diversity of styles was due to it representing the duality of her personality (the romantic and the rebellious), and then in MX, she tried to sold it to us under the narrative that MX travels around the world fighting against injustice and world music thing, etc, but I think she’s been working with too many songwriters and producers. Rebel Heart ended up being too long, in my opinion, and MX, as much as I love it and how daring it is, it feels a bit disconnected here and there.

When I think of cohesion I think of Kasey Musgraves and her Golden Hour album, or even if I’m not the biggest Mariah fan, Caution was a good, perfect cohesive piece of work too.
                                                Last edited by madfan13; Tue April 28th, 2020, 22:14.
                                                “A sure way to lose happiness, I found, is to want it at the expense of everything else.” - Bette Davis

Comment

Except that DJ didn't come out with the story until 2003, well after the Music era was over and DWT. Why would he make it up? It wasn't something fans theorized about, but this came from (more or less) reputable source.
                                                  Apparently the transcript of the interview is available here:

http://www.madonnatribe.com/idol/peter.htm

He does not go into anymore detail than the label not wanting to release it as a single. The wikipedia page of the song quotes the interview and they also add the bit about Amazing cut from the tour which isn't there. He also says a lot of stuff that didn't even happen (Madonna herself later on was quoted saying those movies were already cancelled and that was the reason she went on tour instead) so it doesn't seem he was a reliable source or he actually knew that much... This fansite labels it as a legend: http://madonnabbarchives.blogspot.co...tant-2001.html

At the time there were a lot of uncontrolled rumors that culminated in incredibly false reports of the RIT rehersals about stuff like Bad Girl being rehearsed for example (which later on was corrected saying the person confused it with the lyrics of Hanky Panky)... Madonna Tribe made interviews with people involved in her tour rehearsals and none of them confirmed the Amazing theory (nor they ever mentioned Nothing Really Matters or Runaway Lover rehearsed)...
                                                  I think GHV2 also had a fair share of fake reports, including new songs and different titles but the initial inclusion of You'll See was the only thing that eventually got confirmed.

Another, less important quote that has been floating around forever is that William Orbit was awestruck by the song but there were no actual quotes, it was probably inspired by this interview where Madonna talks about making the producers jealous of each other:

https://allaboutmadonna.com/madonna-...mber-28th-2000

And she did actually talk about Amazing and based on these quotes it's pretty unlikely she would have been actively against its release as a single:

https://allaboutmadonna.com/madonna-...e-august-2000/

Interviewer: And then there’s ‘I Deserve It’, ‘Amazing’, and ‘Don’t’ Tell Me’, which are all about love, aren’t they?

Madonna: Yes. ‘I Deserve It’ is a love song. ‘Amazing’ is a I-love-you-but-****-you song. And ‘Don’t Tell Me’, that’s of the same thing too. They’re all I-love-you-but-****-you songs. Those are my best songs. ‘I Deserve It’, even, it’s a love song, but there’s something lonely about it. Sonically, the juxtaposition of the acoustic guitar and then that synth siren sound – to me, that strange combination makes it a little bit uncomfortable. ‘Amazing’ starts off: “You took a pretty picture and you’ve smashed it into bits/You took a poison arrow”‘and you aimed it at my heart’. My daughter goes around the house singing that bit. I don’t know why she picked up on those lines.

Interviewer: What’s that one about then?

Madonna: Well, durr! What do you think it’s about?

Interviewer: You’re meant to tell me. But I’ll tell you what I think. It’s about people seeing you as an image, not as a rounded human being, and then if someone comes up and sees past that, then it blows you away.

Madonna: Yeah It has to do with shattering an image that you have of somebody, but it’s also a song about loving someone that wish you didn’t love. Because you know that you’re doomed, but you can’t stop yourself, because it’s amazing.

Interviewer: It’s amazing?

Madonna: You figure out what ‘it’ means.

Interviewer: When do you think people will listen to the record?

Madonna: At night. This is night listening. I think it’s too moody to listen to during the day. You could put the first two tracks on before you go out, though. Actually, the third track is a William Orbit track and is also a really up-tempo, dancey, clubby song as well. You could put the first three on before you go out; and then, after you meet the man of your dreams you come back and listen to ‘I Deserve It’ and ‘Amazing’.

https://allaboutmadonna.com/madonna-...tober-02-2000/

“Once I found my way. I wanted everything simple, direct and meaningful,” says Madonna, who discarded dozens of songs before settling on the final 10. “I’ve never written as many good songs and not used them before. But if it wasn’t new, if it wasn’t important. I wasn’t interested.”

Couldn't find it right now but I'm pretty sure there was also a quote around that time when she talked about Guy Ritchie giving the final approval of the songs making it on the album (which explains why she chose Runaway Lover & Amazing over the likes of Run or Liquid Love)...

Anyway, this was worth it to revisit a great record and era!

Comment

• Bedtime stories up to no 8 on US itunes . LETS GO !!

Comment

• Originally posted by madfan13 View Post

And as versatile as she’s been, I wish she could deliver a shorter and more cohesive album next time around. Both Rebel Heart and Madame X had great songs on them, don’t get me wrong, but I do think that the plurality of genres probably confused the average listener. What’s the theme? Message? What binds the songs together? In Rebel Heart she tried to pretend that the diversity of styles was due to it representing the duality of her personality (the romantic and the rebellious), and then in MX, she tried to sold it to us under the narrative that MX travels around the world fighting against injustice and world music thing, etc, but I think she’s been working with too many songwriters and producers. Rebel Heart ended up being too long, in my opinion, and MX, as much as I love it and how daring it is, it feels a bit disconnected here and there.

When I think of cohesion I think of Kasey Musgraves and her Golden Hour album, or even if I’m not the biggest Mariah fan, Caution was a good, perfect cohesive piece of work too.
                                                      I don’t think she was pretending.

Comment

• New "I Don't Search, I Find" remixes availabe.
                                                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T57P...L6ALkgaYiLSD48
                                                        5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

• ‪1 Year ago, Madonna released #IRise as promotional single from Madame X! ‬
                                                          ‪Let's bring back the song on iTunes charts! Download the song on iTunes, stream the song & tweet #IRise to celebrate with us! ‬

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2N...HpiHD2Q‬

Comment

• I love this look. When was it? You'll See/Something to Remember era?

Comment

• That photo was taken on the 19th of January, 1997 at the 54th Golden Globe Awards. That’s when she won for best actress in a motion picture, musical or comedy.

Comment

• beredy
                                                                beredy commented
                                                                Editing a comment
                                                                LOL, same time reply.
                                                            Working...
                                                            X