No announcement yet.

Madonna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's just hope the music is good. I don't know what to expect commercially from this album.
    Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
      Let's just hope the music is good. I don't know what to expect commercially from this album.
      At this point, commercial success is a bonus.
      5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

• Originally posted by KEY9481 View Post
        At this point, commercial success is a bonus.
        Yes but with those ticket prices and oversaturated markets, she needs good music to sell tour tickets. I do think her popularity is at an all time low in US.
        Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• I honestly can’t wait. Whatever happens, however she does. It’ll be great to have her music be a thing again.

Comment

• Originally posted by menime123 View Post
            Except it is true - she didn’t perform Hung Up in the US until 2006
            When you talk about performances you're talking about promo, right? And the only promo in the USA was the music featuring on TV shows and commercials
            "Complaining is an advertisement for stupidity"

Comment

Yes but with those ticket prices and oversaturated markets, she needs good music to sell tour tickets. I do think her popularity is at an all time low in US.
              But not her touring power, especially if she sings the hits

Comment

• Originally posted by AlphaMale View Post
                But not her touring power, especially if she sings the hits
                I do think her tour power is also declining. I do think she'll save the best for the last, her last tour will be her Best Of Tour and it will do very well.
                Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

Her big performance at the VMA's was enough to give her WW exposure!
                  This never happened.

Comment

• Originally posted by Westen View Post
                    This never happened.
                    What do you mean?

Comment

What do you mean?
                      She didn't perform Hung Up at the VMAs.

She performed at EMAs (irrelevant in US)

Comment

• You're right, I meant EMA's

Comment

I do think her tour power is also declining.
                          Yeah quite a big. She's still a huge effortless touring force but at the same time her touring numbers and attendances have been getting lower with each tour since "Sticky & Sweet".

S&S Tour - $408million (85 dates)
                          MDNA Tour - $305million (88 dates)
                          RH Tour - $169million (82 dates)
                          Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                          Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

When you talk about performances you're talking about promo, right? And the only promo in the USA was the music featuring on TV shows and commercials
                            Grammy performance with Gorillaz?
                            I have received many gifts from God,
                            but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

• Originally posted by beredy View Post
                              Grammy performance with Gorillaz?
                              Yes, but by that time Sorry was already released and the album also.
                              At the start of the Era, she didn't perform in the USA. But there was promo, commercials and TV shows. That was the inicial promo in the USA

Comment

Yes, but by that time Sorry was already released and the album also.
                                At the start of the Era, she didn't perform in the USA. But there was promo, commercials and TV shows. That was the inicial promo in the USA
                                So post-album release promo is meaningless or are you trying to say something else? And you're really nitpicking there. Sorry was officially released on February 7th, and Hung Up at Grammy's was on February 8th.

Comment

• I think she prefered to perform "Hung Up" at the Grammys because it had been her first US Top 10 hit song on the Hot 100 since 2002 ("Die Another Day"), it was the last Madonna song people could relate to a new Madonna album hence it was a proper choice to sell the album. "Sorry" was just getting released and it was unknown for American audiences, she could have premiered the second single there but since her situation in America wasn't as great as in the rest of the world she probably prefered to play it safe during the only Grammy Slot she had by performing a hit or more known song from the album she was promoting.
                                  Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                                  Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post
                                    I think she prefered to perform "Hung Up" at the Grammys because it had been her first US Top 10 hit song on the Hot 100 since 2002 ("Die Another Day"), it was the last Madonna song people could relate to a new Madonna album hence it was a proper choice to sell the album. "Sorry" was just getting released and it was unknown for American audiences, she could have premiered the second single there but since her situation in America wasn't as great as in the rest of the world she probably prefered to play it safe during the only Grammy Slot she had by performing a hit or more known song from the album she was promoting.
                                    And that was dumb decision. Hung Up already picked in top 10, performance of Sorry would've pushed its digital sales and maybe she could've scrapped top 10/20 with it.

Comment

• Originally posted by beredy View Post
                                      So post-album release promo is meaningless or are you trying to say something else? And you're really nitpicking there. Sorry was officially released on February 7th, and Hung Up at Grammy's was on February 8th.
                                      I was talking about the initial promo, after first single and album released. She performed everywhere except the USA. But that doesn't mean that there wasn't any promo or that the gp in the states were unaware of the Music.
                                      By the time she performed HU at the Grammys, everyone knew she had an album out. Of course it was a great slot for promo, even if the HU hype had died already. A performance of Sorry was what everybody expected at that point.

Comment

I was talking about the initial promo, after first single and album released. She performed everywhere except the USA. But that doesn't mean that there wasn't any promo or that the gp in the states were unaware of the Music.
                                        By the time she performed HU at the Grammys, everyone knew she had an album out. Of course it was a great slot for promo, even if the HU hype had died already.
                                        I think it's smart she went to Europe first. COADF is very European musically and it's better to strike the iron while it's hot and not risk focusing on the USA first and endanger the whole era. It also allowed USA to cool off from AL and get used to the music and appreciate it for what it is.

Comment

• Originally posted by Westen View Post
                                          And that was dumb decision. Hung Up already picked in top 10, performance of Sorry would've pushed its digital sales and maybe she could've scrapped top 10/20 with it.
                                          I agree that it could have benefited "Sorry" as single better but I think "Hung Up" was a better album seller (even if the song had already peaked), remember that back then artists would generally care more about album sales than singles performance and it wasn't weird for some artists to sacrifice singles success in order to push albums sales.

Technically Madonna could have premiered "Sorry" at the Grammys, but I also think that she wanted to turn "Hung Up" iconic, she wanted to make it one of her career anthems and a US performance for it was lacking, she made sure of performing it EVERYWHERE, she bet everything on it because she knew she had a freaking sick timeless tune in her hands. I think she didn't really care that much for the other COADF singles, she exploited the sh*t out of "Hung Up".

Comment

• "Hung Up" a "freaking sick timeless tune"????? hell to the no... lol
                                            jio CHARTS NOW: 8/2/2023: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...3#post11074063

Comment

• Originally posted by jio View Post
                                              "Hung Up" a "freaking sick timeless tune"????? hell to the no... lol
                                              Aren't you from US? If yes, your opinion is irrelevant.

In Europe, not only Hung Up is her biggest classic, its the song that everyone recognizes ad can name as Madonna song.

Comment

• Originally posted by jio View Post
                                                "Hung Up" a "freaking sick timeless tune"????? hell to the no... lol
                                                Yeah Jio, it has turned into one of her most remembered tunes by now. Many of her songs are forgotten by now but not "Hung Up" hence its quite timeless in her career.

I would even say that "Hung Up" is her Top Post-Vogue single.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post
                                                  Yeah quite a big. She's still a huge effortless touring force but at the same time her touring numbers and attendances have been getting lower with each tour since "Sticky & Sweet".

S&S Tour - $408million (85 dates)
                                                  MDNA Tour - $305million (88 dates)
                                                  RH Tour - $169million (82 dates)
                                                  Declining or not this are simply amazing number.....

What a longevity for a pop act who started in the 80’s!!! Many people give it for granted, but it really isn’t, as, a huge album seller isn’t necessarily also a tour force: and that’s what made her the number one!!

I can’t recall any pop female act of her time ( I can think of Janet who struggle to fill small arena sometimes these days)who can still pull these numbers today; her longevity even on tour scale is impressive.......also considering how on this department, are the rock act who usually take the leads and dominate!!

Looking at the figures above It’s also impressive to notice she amassed that astonishing 900 mil , with a relatively few number of show.

As for the future, I agree with Spiritboy and do not expect big numbers, another 150 mil tour it would be amazing to achieve !!

Comment

• I think $150million for her next tour sounds about right.

Madonna is one of the very few artists who is among the Top 10 female artists of all time in Album sales, Single sales and Touring grossing.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X