Madonna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post
    My parents didn't really like Madonna. Although my mother always "helped" me with being a fan. Like cut out articles from newspapers, standing in line to get me tickets for the Who's That Girl Tour and calling me from my room whenever Madonna was on tv.
    My father didn't like Madonna as he didn't like me spending so much money on her: towels, cd's, pillows, t-shirts, tickets, calendars, posters, magazines, etc. He also didn't like how sexy she was in clips like Open Your Heart and what she wore on pictures/posters. Still, I had my whole room covered in Madonna stuff with over 100 posters on the walls.
    One time he made the mistake to turn up the car stereo, when I'm Going Bananas came on (as I had put in the I'm Breathless album) and he was like: "Now this is nice music. Much better than that Madonna of yours." Ever since, I always said: "Well, you like at least one of her songs."
    The first time I bought a Madonna calendar was in the fall of 1986. And he was like: "By the time it's 1987 and you can actually use that calendar, nobody is gonna know anymore who she is. Such a waste of money..."
    Cute:-) My mom adores Madonna. She just watched The Breakfast Club movie and I still have yet to see it lol. I tried to get her to go to MDNA TOUR with me, but i know she can't stand long and it would be to loud for her.

Comment

• ^ That's great! What luck you have with such a mom.

I was lucky my sister loved Madonna too. I had a choreography for every song till 1988. I was Madonna and my sister had to be my backing singer/dancer. And when we performed for my mother or other relatives, my sister had to be Madonna and I was the backing singer/dancer. She says she still has traumas of me insisting we'd go through my scrapbooks almost every day.

Then I also turned one of my cousins into a Madonna fan. My aunt and uncle weren't very happy though and forbid she'd hang "sexy" Madonna posters in her room.

I am also lucky my husband likes Madonna. Not the way I do, but he did have most Madonna albums, when we met.
      Treated me kind, sweet destiny, carried me through desperation... Prayed through the nights, carried the weight on my own and now I know I've succeeded in finding the place I conceived... I had a Vision of Love

Comment

• Which of these eras did you like / enjoy the most? . . "Ray Of Light", "Music", "American Life" or "Confessions On A Dance Floor"?

All were so good
        Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
        Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• Hmmm... I'd say "Music" mainly because it was the only era I heard the title track without expecting it and it was the only era I stood in line in front of a cd shop which was about to open 12 o'clock midnight just to sell the "Music" cd (with the single as a bonus). Also there was Madonna's comeback to touring during that era so yeah "Music" for me (although I don't think "Music" is the best of those 4 albums)

From the other eras "Ray Of Light" was huge in terms of album/songs/videos but it was a bit un-Madonna in that there was an element of fun missing (that was fixed with "Beautiful Stranger"). "American Life" is my favorite album from those 4 and there were many many stuff released from that album but there was the obvious disappointment on its chart fortunes. "Confessions" was great as an album but after "Hung Up" there was little left to the era other than the tour. There were the other 3 singles but she didn't seem to care much about them so in a sense that era came and went pretty fast.
          jio CHARTS NOW: 5/7//2022: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...4#post10956364

Comment

• So, how long has it been since they posted that message on youtube about getting double uploads unlisted? So far, they did absolutely nothing.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post
              Which of these eras did you like / enjoy the most? . . "Ray Of Light", "Music", "American Life" or "Confessions On A Dance Floor"?

All were so good
              American Life, because nothing worked out the way it was supposed to. She pulled the AL video, spoke out about the POTUS and the Iraq war, started talking about Kabblahblah (that frankly was just as weird as Tom Cruise and Scientology), got sued for her HW video, had a big backlash, had an under performing album that still managed good sales and (at least in the UK) had 3 top 3 singles.

Her promotion was different too - she did in store appearances (for the first time ever), did exclusive radio sets in the UK and France, randomly brought LAP on the promo trail with her (which was not her ‘go to’ song back in 2003), had an MTV special, played guitar every where she went, had brunette hair and denied a greatest hits tour then promoted the tour as a show containing all her hits

Then we had constant orange tracksuits, photos of Madonna riding around London on her bicycle or driving around in her Mini Cooper,and literally a week didn’t go by without rumours or exclusive images that’s proved she was pregnant. Then we had English Roses being released and Madonna wearing floral dresses, whilst also snogging Britney and Christina on MTV.

In the US, there was a radio ban to contend with and HW became the first time a single had failed to chart there since Burning Up in 1982. Which we weren’t happy about because Hollywood had been the planned first single until she recorded AL towards the end of the sessions.

As fans, the music divided us, as did the backlash because the album debuted to fairly decent reviews. No one really hated on the music until things got weird on the promo trail and even though she confused people with Kabbalah, she was asked about it and ultimately all she was saying was that should love and respect everyone, Kama is real, and should look for peace not war.

If if it had been SEXII we might have understood the backlash. But it took a while for us to really know the radio ban was definitely real and about her comments on the war and POTUS. Then she buggered up the singles and released Love Profusion instead of Nothing Fails as a 3rd global single (4th including DAD). Whether the album was abandoned by Warner or not I don’t know, but I still think we only got LP as a single because it was the most radio friendly on the album, and the video was done using existing CGI from a commercial and Luc Besson directed it in return for Madonna voicing a character in his upcoming movie.

American Life is my favourite album of all time but by god the era was just weird. Wonderful time to be a fan though because so much was happening. I have such amazing memories and really, it was done alongside the rise of broadband at home so the fan communities online really grew into their own beasts too - the rumours and the gossip and speculation and even fan sites breaking real news to us on release schedules, appearances and tour set lists.

To go from that to COADF where everything went right, according to plan and was met with universal adoration is literally only something Madonna could have done. Those 3.5 years (2003 - 2006) were just insane - 2 studio albums, 2 world tours, 1 feature length documentary and 1 live album release.

fast forward to 2019 and all we’ve had in the last 3.5 years is Instadonna
              Straight white men rule everything around me

Comment

• All were great to me but I think "Ray Of Light" was the one I enjoyed the most. I loved the album, her looks / image, the promo, the singles, the music videos, the longevity of the era, the interviews, the change of style and more spiritual approach, and I lived for the success and acclaim, not to mention that it was the first Madonna era that I consciously lived. The only bad thing was the lack of a tour.

I loved "Music" and the fact that she toured with it, love the album (one of her finest career moments IMO), the music videos, the singles, but the era felt quite short to me, ROL left me satisfied while this one left me wanting more.

"American Life" was great too, and the VMAs performance was iconic but I didn't like the second half of the era and the way they handled the final 2 singles.

"Confessions" was a perfect and top-notch era (my second favorite after ROL), it had it all. But like "Jio" said after HU faded much of the momentum went away and it's brilliant tour was the only thing to look up to, although I would include "Sorry" in the "momentum" of the era because at least it was a popular hit over here and unlike most of her fans I did like it's music video a lot, unfortunately the last 2 singles were not treated well and had bad music videos. I would say "Confessions" was perfect with it's first 2 singles, the initial promo campaign and it's tour. It still left me very satisfied tho.
                Last edited by MrLeonix; Sun March 17, 2019, 19:21.
                Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• I like the "Get Together" and "Jump" videos. Yes they both look cheap but they are quite nice unlike "Sorry" which is a terrible video IMO.
                  jio CHARTS NOW: 5/7//2022: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...4#post10956364

Comment

• I like the "Get Together" music video, it's ok. I don't like the "Jump" music video at all, like in any sense, pretty lame video.

The "Sorry" music video was cool to me, I live for her beauty, outfits, skinny perfectly toned body, and cage scene.

Comment

• Both Get Together videos are crap, but credit to Warner for doing whatever they could in lieu of Madge making one.

At least she tried with Jump - she surprised us all by doing that one mid tour

Comment

• Sorry video >>>>>>>> Jump video >>>>>>>>>> Get Together video
                        I have received many gifts from God,
                        but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

All were great to me but I think "Ray Of Light" was the one I enjoyed the most. I loved the album, her looks / image, the promo, the singles, the music videos, the longevity of the era, the interviews, the change of style and more spiritual approach, and I lived for the success and acclaim, not to mention that it was the first Madonna era that I consciously lived. The only bad thing was the lack of a tour.

I loved "Music" and the fact that she toured with it, love the album (one of her finest career moments IMO), the music videos, the singles, but the era felt quite short to me, ROL left me satisfied while this one left me wanting more.

"American Life" was great too, and the VMAs performance was iconic but I didn't like the second half of the era and the way they handled the final 2 singles.

"Confessions" was a perfect and top-notch era (my second favorite after ROL), it had it all. But like "Jio" said after HU faded much of the momentum went away and it's brilliant tour was the only thing to look up to, although I would include "Sorry" in the "momentum" of the era because at least it was a popular hit over here and unlike most of her fans I did like it's music video a lot, unfortunately the last 2 singles were not treated well and had bad music videos. I would say "Confessions" was perfect with it's first 2 singles, the initial promo campaign and it's tour. It still left me very satisfied tho.
                          wow totally agree with you. “Music” deserved at least another single.
                          “A sure way to lose happiness, I found, is to want it at the expense of everything else.” - Bette Davis

Comment

• Originally posted by madfan13 View Post
                            wow totally agree with you. “Music” deserved at least another single.

Well we all know why it didn’t

Comment

• ALL those eras are so special to me. It's always such an event when a new M album comes out. I too waited in line at midnight for the Music Cd. I also got Bjork's Selma Songs soundtrack that night too. I remember they finally had to put a disclaimer on the Music packaging, telling people that the skips in DTM were intentional lol
                              Last edited by madgikman; Sun March 17, 2019, 20:14.

Comment

• Like a Prayer
                                Till Death Do Us Part
                                Promise to Try
                                Oh Father
                                Spanish Eyes

Comment

• Holiday was just played @ WTA Indian Wells women's final

Comment

• #JusticeForSorry

Sorry IS a great video.

Comment

Which of these eras did you like / enjoy the most? . . "Ray Of Light", "Music", "American Life" or "Confessions On A Dance Floor"?

All were so good
                                      I enjoy every era. But the ones I enjoyed most, were the early ones: True Blue, Like A Prayer.
                                      Treated me kind, sweet destiny, carried me through desperation... Prayed through the nights, carried the weight on my own and now I know I've succeeded in finding the place I conceived... I had a Vision of Love

Comment

• From those four eras Confessions was my favourite. The album amazed me and I think it was the first Madonna album I heard. Before that I always knew the singles but not the album songs.
                                        I experienced the Ray of light era as a child and still remember it very well. But I could not remember the single release of Drowned world though, but at least the other four singles.
                                        Music era felt like a non-event looking back. Even though I love the singles and album today back then I just noticed the song Music and also Don't tell me, but sadly not What it feels like for a girl. Era felt kinda short.
                                        I also remember American Life well, the drama because of the video, Hollywood being the first Madonna single I totally adored, I loved it so much and also remember Love profusion being on TV often and Nothing fails on the radio. But the last two singles confused me and Love profusion wasn't really released here I think.
                                        I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

Comment

• Madonna and Ben Stiller among stars to donate thousands to New Zealand victims

Celebrities including Madonna and Ben Stillerhave pledged money to help those affected by the horrific events.

The GoFundMe page has reached $77,000 (£57,912) of its $100,000 dollar goal after being set up by Guy Oseary, the manager for Madonna and the band U2, who pledged @$18,000 (£13,537) himself and Madonna 10k. #madonna
                                          "Complaining is an advertisement for stupidity"

Comment

• Have you seen her latest Instagram post?
                                            I think her new release will be an apple exclusive

Comment

• The press here are saying that that were some secret recordings here in Lisbon and that Maluma is here too...

Comment

• Recordings for a video or photo shoot. Or both...

Comment

• Originally posted by AlphaMale View Post
                                                  Have you seen her latest Instagram post?
                                                  I think her new release will be an apple exclusive
                                                  I actually wondered if she’s going Snow White theme... the black hair and an apple etc.

Comment

• An Apple Music exclusive is not something that would make me happy, as I’m a Spotify user. Surely she wouldn’t cut Spotify or Tidal out (especially as a co-owner of the latter)?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X