Madonna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bojan View Post
    I think that some people can't make a difference between legacy and popularity. For example, Joni Mitchell isn't one of the best selling recording artists, but that's trivial compared to her artistry and therefore her legacy is huge and cemented. That's how it works, it has nothing to do with commercial success or popularity. There are many very popular artists that will never have any legacy, especially today.
    Great post, Bojan!

Comment

• I care less and less about the singles chart. It has become a mess since the physicals records got mixed with the present streaming ones. No one does things right and justice.
      Im just thankful she still reinvents transforms herself and challenges what she could do with new music. And gives her long time fans something to listen to and watch.
      I cant wait for her new tour.
      She is 61. She is doing damn great and looks fantastic.. At least for my views.
      Last edited by autumnwind; Sun April 28, 2019, 20:01.
      Madonna is the queen of pop and the biggest selling female music artist of all time!

Comment

• I m loving everything so far, and so excited for what has to come yet from this era.

Her singles flopped: couldn’t care less!!

Comment

• Originally posted by menime123 View Post
          Streaming was in its infancy in 2014/2015. Apple Music hadn’t even launched and digital sales were higher than they are now. I didn’t say streaming didn’t exist - but it didn’t dictate the charts as much as it does now. For example, LFL managed to go top 30 in the UK on 3 days of sales (despite being released about 8 weeks after it was released globally).
          It actually had 4 days of sales, but it also reached #1 on itunes and sold enough for top 20. Medellin didn't do anything.

It still charted in SPS era...

Madonna has been irrelevant on the singles chart for years now - it’s nothing new.
          I disagree. The only reason you could've used that 'for years ' in your sentence because it's been years since her releases. No matter how terrible and frontloaded GMAYL was, it still did well on charts the reason MDNA singles bombed overall was because they were all terrible. World was rooting for Madonna in 2012. She disappointed and basically canceled herself. I have no doubt that she would've avoided ageism if she delivered quality in 2012 and continued doing that. Everyone just got over her and what she did in 2012 and she went from hip, cool legend, to desperate hasbeen trying to be relevant.

And like I said, even first two singles from RH did decently on charts, Medellin just bombed. And this is the first time for her.

the old adage that you’re only as good as your last hit does not apply to Madonna

Actually, Madonna is the prefect case of that. Beyonce has ben irrelevant on singles charts for almost a decade, no one is coming after her flop singles. No one is coming after Mariah's flop singles, or Janet's. Because in Beyonce's case she has good PR, and the other two are not as hated as Madonna and no one cares about bringing them down.

This is the time when Madonna has to prove critics wrong one last time, and it seems to me that we are going to get even worse draggings than what we got with RH. Madonna not reaching #1 on albums chart will be once again 'shocking global headline to point out how done she is'

That is why promo is key for Madonna - visibility is important to all acts now.
          RH promo showed us otherwise. Not even having Taylor Swift who was at her career peak at the time as back up guitar play helped Ghosttown on itunes. People just don't care about her music and that's the sad thing.

This will be Madonna playing to her casual fans - and there’s nothing better for sales than pitching your product to repeat customers.
          Except album will be out month after Euorvision, so in the end there won't be any boost for her. If you think that people will be keeping her album release in their calendars thanks to Eurovision, you're very much wrong.

But Madonna is so famous it doesn’t matter how relevant she is
          It matters. Because she's Madonna.

Comment

• She gave me a decent box set so I'm happy with this release

Comment

• Example - I am a typical old generation fan. I do not know how Spotify works.. never bought a digital track.. rarely listen to radio.. i listen to music in my car - music that I want to listen, downloaded from the net for free.. But I am used to buy all her physical releases..
              And now tell me how the hell can she chart nowadays..
              Is it really love if it hurts? Is it really pain if it’s inside?

Comment

• And ,yes,age does play a HUGE factor.
                A lot of young people don't want to listen to her ,don't care for her because she is an old woman.
                Even here in Brazil, one of the most supportive countries, I've read several jokes about her age since Medellin came out.
                From people asking when would she understand that she belongs in the past, to people who said she's lost an eye due to glaucoma caused by her age and that's why she had to wear an eye-patch (yes,that was supposed to be a funny joke).

Comment

• Anyway, too much drama for nothing. No matter if we like or hate a new song and/or video, I don't see any reason for disappointment or negativity. At this point, we should be happy she and a few of her peers are still there, recording and performing. How many of them who started a career in the 80s are still performing at MTV awards and other shows for young people and charting from time to time? You will come up with mostly 5 artists, if even that. Can't we just be happy and focussed on positive things?
                  Last edited by Bojan; Sun April 28, 2019, 20:15.
                  Gone.

Comment

• Originally posted by RHpoz View Post
                    Example - I am a typical old generation fan. I do not know how Spotify works.. never bought a digital track.. rarely listen to radio.. i listen to music in my car - music that I want to listen, downloaded from the net for free.. But I am used to buy all her physical releases..
                    God bless your heart for this post
                    I'm lmao over here

Comment

• Originally posted by BodyShop View Post
                      I think you ate being delusional (and I don't want to be rude while writing that, ok? )
                      Regardless of her past of glory, when it comes to scorunv a new hit,we all knew this was bound to happen.
                      Madonna's audience got older like her. Time has passed.
                      You can even tell from this very thread,before Medellin came out,we had several posters here saying they didn't use /don't like Spotify.
                      That's how it goes.
                      The song is polarizing but, even if it wasn't, results would have been exactly the same imo.
                      I swear that I don't feel disappointed in the slightest.
                      Because I was sure people - and by "people" I mean massive audiences - wouldn't give a damn. They are not HER audience.
                      The goal ,imo,is to achieve decent numbers for the album.
                      BUT let's see how it goes cause I wouldn't rule out anything at this point.
                      Well that's my problem, I expected her to comeback because I still thought people cared about her... Like I said, I didn't expect her to hit #1, I expected her to chart, to see people talking about her, but this release ended up being such a non event, I haven't seen it being mentioned anywhere outside forum. It's the first time for me.

When 6 tracks from RH were released she was all over press here, LFL started playing on radio straight away,she was visible and present in the media. She released new music video just few days ago and no one cares. It bombed on youtube despite having Maluma in it.

This is the first time it feels to me like she is just there, for die hard stans...

Comment

• I think u are a vile and failed fan. Never bought a digital track for the well deserved price but downloaded only for free??? Show some proper respect for her artistry and labor. Thats not something you should be proud of. Lets not be an old cheap failed queen.
                        Madonna is the queen of pop and the biggest selling female music artist of all time!

Comment

Anyway, too much drama for nothing. No matter if we like or hate a new song and/or video, I don't see any reason for disappointment or negativity. At this point, we should be happy she and a few of her peers are still there, recording and performing. How many of them who started a career in the 80s are still performing at MTV awards and other shows for young people and charting from time to time? You will come up with mostly 5 artists, if even that. Can't we just be happy and focussed on positive things?
                          But that's the common feeling here
                          I think only Westen is feeling sad and depressed due to the song's chats fortunes but thats understandable cause he's the junior here -I think

Comment

Anyway, too much drama for nothing. No matter if we like or hate a new song and/or video, I don't see any reason for disappointment or negativity. At this point, we should be happy she and a few of her peers are still there, recording and performing. How many of them who started a career in the 80s are still performing at MTV awards and other shows for young people and charting from time to time? Can't we just be happy and focussed on positive things?
                            I can only think of Janet as M peers left after Whitney has gone

Mariah and Celine they came a decade later when M and Janet had dominated the 80’s right left and at the center

Comment

• Anyway i cant wait for her bma performance. I love her rehearsal shots in las vegas. I hope its a rewatch worthy.

Comment

• Originally posted by CandyShop View Post
                                I can only think of Janet as M peers left after Whitney has gone

Mariah and Celine they came a decade later when M and Janet had dominated the 80’s right left and at the center
                                Cyndi is still here but not the same success level obviously.

Comment

• My mother is 59 ,yeah one yearvyounger than Madonna
                                  She's a big fan,in fact,I first noticed Madonna because of her.
                                  The other day,I talked to her about Spotify. It was like I was bringing some kind of sci-fi gadget to our conversation.
                                  She had literally ZERO idea about what it was or how it works.
                                  When she wants to listen to Like a Prayer,her absolute favorite album,she puts her CD on and that's it
                                  When she's reeeeeeeeally in the mood,she checks You Tube

Comment

• Can we just take a moment to get again say that a new song is coming in Friday and it hasn’t leaked? At this point it’s bloody miracle

As much as I love Medellín, I am ready for something new. Even back in the day, in the UK the lead single came 2 weeks before the album - not this 2 month bloody wait!
                                    Bleep Bloop Blop

Comment

• Autumnwind, dont get the old cheap failed queen started, darlin..
                                      Last edited by RHpoz; Sun April 28, 2019, 20:27.
                                      Is it really love if it hurts? Is it really pain if it’s inside?

Comment

• Originally posted by RHpoz View Post
                                        Example - I am a typical old generation fan. I do not know how Spotify works.. never bought a digital track.. rarely listen to radio.. i listen to music in my car - music that I want to listen, downloaded from the net for free.. But I am used to buy all her physical releases..
                                        Exactly. The same as me! And I'm a huge fan!
                                        "Complaining is an advertisement for stupidity"

Comment

• Originally posted by autumnwind View Post
                                          Cyndi is still here but not the same success level obviously.
                                          Yes I m perfectly aware the woman is still alive, but with all due respect I wouldn’t put her among the all time greatest

Comment

• In the mean time... Our Queen is in the mood !

She's been so happy,it's on her face.
                                            That makes me feel so good!

Comment

My mother is 59 ,yeah one yearvyounger than Madonna
                                              She's a big fan,in fact,I first noticed Madonna because of her.
                                              The other day,I talked to her about Spotify. It was like I was bringing some kind of sci-fi gadget to our conversation.
                                              She had literally ZERO idea about what it was or how it works.
                                              When she wants to listen to Like a Prayer,her absolute favorite album,she puts her CD on and that's it
                                              When she's reeeeeeeeally in the mood,she checks You Tube
                                              My mother is in her 50s and we got her a premium Spotify account, but does she know how to use to? Does she buggery

She’s not a Madonna fan though. She used to tell me that when she was in her late teens and Madonna first came on the scene, she would never in a million years have guessed she’d have a son that would become obsessed with her

I hope it doesn’t come full circle and I end up with a kid obsessed with Gaga

Credit to both my parents - I’ve seen Madonna in concert with them both. Dad was impressed... mother not so much. even now she says she’s never heard me make such a noise as when Madonna was on stage
                                              Bleep Bloop Blop

Comment

In the mean time... Our Queen is in the mood!

She's been so happy,it's on her face.
                                                That makes me feel so good!
                                                I think she’s enjoying this era a lot more than any since COADF if I’m honest.
                                                Bleep Bloop Blop

Comment

• How old are you Menime123?

I m curious I know 😊

Comment

• Originally posted by Westen View Post
                                                    Because this is Madonna? Charting queen?

We're not in Jessie J thread. It's perfectly normal to expect Madonna to do better (or actually chart somewhere)
                                                    I get what you mean but everything comes to an end. Every artist will become a veteran one day and Madonna has become one too. And veteran means charting mainly on the album chart and making money from touring which is exactly what Madonna is doing the last decade and a half or so. I don't think she is really comfortable in that position but that's where she is right now.
                                                    jio CHARTS NOW: 12/10/2021: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...5#post10765535

Comment

Working...
                                                    X