No announcement yet.

Madonna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy birthday! It's time to celebrate!

Comment

• I love madonna anyway.
      I like her movies.
      The only thing I rejected to watching was w.e. and because we are.
      The next best thing script was atrocious. I didnt watch almost. A gay man having sex with a female friend ??? Disgusted and cheap.
      Madonna is the queen of pop and the biggest selling female music artist of all time!

Comment

• Originally posted by autumnwind View Post
        I love madonna anyway.
        I like her movies.
        The only thing I rejected to watching was w.e. and because we are.
        The next best thing script was atrocious. I didnt watch almost. A gay man having sex with a female friend ??? Disgusted and cheap.
        You'd have been better off not, I wished I hadn't. Between the Barbra Streisand-esque vanity moments (lines like "You are the most beautiful woman I know!", the comical Soft Focus Lighting giving her some serious Morticia Addams teas), the lame attempts at "screwball" humor, and the crusty melodrama it devolves into, TNB is a Frankenstein monster of garbage. Her absolute worst.
        She's got a cute little voice but she doesn't really have any fans...none that can fight....

Comment

• Originally posted by AndiIversen View Post
          a day late but Happy Bday Madonna

you gave us some nice songs and started it all

my favorite video this era is between the simplicity of Lucky Star and the "I'm always in charge" Burning Up

My favourite video off this album has to be Borderline. Hard to believe this album is so old now. I'm coming up to my 36 th anniversary of being a fan late this year

It might sound like I'm an unapologetic bitch
          But sometimes you know I gotta call it like it is

Comment

• Originally posted by grooveboy View Post
            Swept Away is my guilty pleasure. She was so bad in it that I can't resist watching it

"...Susan" remains my favorite Madonna film
            Agree with every word. Swept Away is so bad the first time I watched it I wasn't sure which bits were intentionally funny and which weren't DSS is great and works so well because she plays herself.

Comment

• I enjoyed swept away. So kill me

Lol
              Madonna is the queen of pop and the biggest selling female music artist of all time!

Comment

• The movie Next Best Thing was awful but the soundtrack was brilliant.
                Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• I enjoyed The Next Best Thing when it was released... Her acting was terrible, but I do remember thinking the first half of the film was better than the last half....

My fave M films are Evita, A League of Their Own, Shadows and Fog and yea, probably The Next Best Thing. I really can't stand the rest. Desperately Seeking Susan is just Madonna being Madonna, tbh.
                  A sure way to lose happiness, I found, is to want it at the expense of everything else. - Bette Davis

Comment

• In case no one has posted this. The article includes a cute studio demo of "Borderline". You can hear her talking back to the producer/technician towards the end, really nice!

https://popwrapped.com/celebrating-3..._QCLwU8Z0-7YWY
                    A sure way to lose happiness, I found, is to want it at the expense of everything else. - Bette Davis

Comment

• 1. Evita
                      2. A League of their own
                      3. Desperately Seeking Susan
                      4. Dangerous Game (aka Snake Eyes)
                      5. Who's That Girl
                      i saw a ray of light, Madame X saved my life

Comment

• Originally posted by madfan13 View Post
                        I enjoyed The Next Best Thing when it was released... Her acting was terrible, but I do remember thinking the first half of the film was better than the last half....

My fave M films are Evita, A League of Their Own, Shadows and Fog and yea, probably The Next Best Thing. I really can't stand the rest. Desperately Seeking Susan is just Madonna being Madonna, tbh.
                        The main problem with TNBT is it tries to be so many things but it fails in every aspect. Plus, her terrible acting there doesn't help its case. But yes, the beginning looks kinda promising.
                        When we lose what we love
                        Don't think anything will ever taste the same
                        When we lose what we love
                        Don't think anything will ever feel as good again

Comment

• Wow no love for Dick Tracy? Easily her third best film after Evita and DSS surely?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimshakes View Post
                            Wow no love for Dick Tracy? Easily her third best film after Evita and DSS surely?
                            A League of Their Own is easily the most accomplished movie Madonna acted in and realistically should be #1 if we're ranking quality and not personal preferences. It's very good to excellent in every aspect. Anyone not having it in their Top 5 just has bad taste.
                            I have received many gifts from God,
                            but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

• "Desperately Seeking Susan", "Bloodhounds Of Broadway", "Dick Tracy", "In Bed With Madonna", "Shadows And Fog", "A League Of Their Own", "Dangerous Game", "4 Rooms", "Evita", "I'm Going To Tell You A Secret", "Filth And Wisdom" and "W.E." are all good to excellent to me. The others range from dead-average to awful. "Body Of Evidence" and "The Next Best Thing" hold a special place in her filmography because they were so monumentally bad that they destroyed in one move the rather good reputation Madonna had managed to build with the films that preceded them. They are career-destroying films
                              jio CHARTS NOW: 5/4/2022: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...9#post10866219

Comment

• I love Who's That Girl...one of the funniest movies of the 80s

I barely even remember TNBT...except a fuzzy recollection of her gaunt pre-filler face.
                                Last edited by alexiscolby; Mon July 29, 2019, 20:23.

Comment

• 1. Evita
                                  2. Desperately Seeking Susan
                                  3. A League of Their Own
                                  4. Body of Evidence
                                  5. Dick Tracy

Comment

• Originally posted by jio View Post
                                    "Desperately Seeking Susan", "Bloodhounds Of Broadway", "Dick Tracy", "In Bed With Madonna", "Shadows And Fog", "A League Of Their Own", "Dangerous Game", "4 Rooms", "Evita", "I'm Going To Tell You A Secret", "Filth And Wisdom" and "W.E." are all good to excellent to me. The others range from dead-average to awful. "Body Of Evidence" and "The Next Best Thing" hold a special place in her filmography because they were so monumentally bad that they destroyed in one move the rather good reputation Madonna had managed to build with the films that preceded them. They are career-destroying films
                                    I'm not sure i entirely agree with that Jio. Long before 'Body of Evidence' she already had a bad reputation as an actress. 'Who's That Girl' was universally panned, and don't forget the terrible 'Shanghai Surprise'. During the filming of SS they were known as the 'Poison Penns' and the acting described as 'terrible'. She managed to salvage her acting career to some degree with small parts in 'Dick Tracy' and 'A League of Their Own' but 'Body of Evidence' was truly dreadful. Then of course we have a career highlight in 'Evita' but again an anomaly in an otherwise poor acting career. 'Desperately Seeking Susan' and 'Evita' are her finest moments but there are plenty of duds amongst the rest.

Comment

• Originally posted by Madgefan View Post
                                      I'm not sure i entirely agree with that Jio. Long before 'Body of Evidence' she already had a bad reputation as an actress. 'Who's That Girl' was universally panned, and don't forget the terrible 'Shanghai Surprise'. During the filming of SS they were known as the 'Poison Penns' and the acting described as 'terrible'. She managed to salvage her acting career to some degree with small parts in 'Dick Tracy' and 'A League of Their Own' but 'Body of Evidence' was truly dreadful. Then of course we have a career highlight in 'Evita' but again an anomaly in an otherwise poor acting career. 'Desperately Seeking Susan' and 'Evita' are her finest moments but there are plenty of duds amongst the rest.
                                      Let's not forget the headline of the review for her theater debut Speed the Plow, which read simply

NO, SHE CAN'T ACT
                                      She's got a cute little voice but she doesn't really have any fans...none that can fight....

Comment

• Oh , and I forgot when mentioning Borderline yesterday, someone reading this who isn't here will remember this ....

Last edited by Madgefan; Mon July 29, 2019, 21:57.

Comment

• Originally posted by AndiIversen View Post
                                          a day late but Happy Bday Madonna

It's unpretentious but have classic and raw pop songs like Holiday, Lucky Star and Borderline. I love the punk album cover as well

Comment

• https://youtu.be/VSoB4EgRf5c

Anitta sings Faz Gostoso...

Comment

• Originally posted by MadonnaIcon View Post
                                              It's unpretentious but have classic and raw pop songs like Holiday, Lucky Star and Borderline. I love the punk album cover as well
                                              I know we generally regard her as a pop singer, but her debut always makes me think of her as a dance artist first and foremost. No matter how pop she goes, she always returns to the club

Madonna ----> Erotica ---> Ray of Light ---> Confessions on a Dance Floor

Comment

• A return to disco clubs would be fantastic after the experimental MX.
                                                "Despair, regret, and tenderness is what I feel for you"

Comment

• Originally posted by Shadowplay View Post
                                                  A return to disco clubs would be fantastic after the experimental MX.
                                                  A true homecoming and full circle moment. I'd be here for it!

Comment

• Originally posted by Shadowplay View Post
                                                    A return to disco clubs would be fantastic after the experimental MX.
                                                    I still hope she will release a rock album

Comment

Working...
                                                    X