Madonna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cindycgy View Post
    Who's managing her social media and YouTube accounts?
    A bunch of complete idiots.

[center:vkux8078]FOLLOW THE DUCK[/center:vkux8078]

Comment

• In the comments section, people are saying that this new upload has the real live audio, while the last one had a edit version.

I agree the sound looks more real now, but they could have just replaced the prior version with this one, right? With no lost views?

Anyway, another question: why it took so much time to reupload this? It's been months since they deleted the first video. A mess, as usual.

Comment

• Originally posted by delapuerta View Post
        They both are pre streaming and YT artists. Their figures are very similar. To many Whitney and Janet are Mariah peers, also Celine. They've been in the industry for a long time, but ok
        Exactly. It's just convenient selection to say Mariah wouldn't be her peer. The fact that some people would say Madonna is a 70's/80's act as if she belongs to the Kate Bush group or something is just ridiculous.
        Yes Madonna has had many hits before Mariah came out, so did Whitney. By the time Madonna released 'Ray of Light' Mariah had almost release the same amount of albums and both of them would be equally successful.
        "Is Stalin on your shoulder..."
        https://soundcloud.com/jaspervanbeveren-1/jasper-russia
        "..as he was with his composers?"

Comment

• Doesnt have to do with Billboard owning the rights to the video?

Comment

• It's not about the number of successful albums though. So can some new singer become Madonna's or Mariah's peer once they rack up the required number of successful albums?

The fact that both Madonna and Mariah had completely different starts, different influences, different career paths, were in the different genres can't make them peers.

Who mentioned Kate Bush and the 70's when talking about Madonna? Only you. She debuted solo in 1982. No one would ever dream calling Kate Madonna's peer.

But Madonna is through and through 80's. She helped define the decade ffs. I don't know why you're acting like she wasn't one of the main centerpieces of 80's music and culture? One full decade before Mariah even stepped foot on the music scene. How can they be peers?
            I have received many gifts from God,
            but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

• Originally posted by Hejira View Post

Exactly. It's just convenient selection to say Mariah wouldn't be her peer. The fact that some people would say Madonna is a 70's/80's act as if she belongs to the Kate Bush group or something is just ridiculous.
              Yes Madonna has had many hits before Mariah came out, so did Whitney. By the time Madonna released 'Ray of Light' Mariah had almost release the same amount of albums and both of them would be equally successful.
              What the number of the album released by both have to do with the subject?

Comment

• Originally posted by CandyShop View Post

What the number of the album released by both have to do with the subject?

Not much at all, but you obviously managed to ignore the whole context of my post, the reason why I even brought up the number of albums has nothing to do with the numbers but with the impact of the music and the way both women were seen as huge forces in the music industry by the time Madonna came out with Ray of Light.

Comment

Not much at all, but you obviously managed to ignore the whole context of my post, the reason why I even brought up the number of albums has nothing to do with the numbers but with the impact of the music and the way both women were seen as huge forces in the music industry by the time Madonna came out with Ray of Light.
                  And what has all to do with the subject raised by Shadowplay?

who was denying MaRiah influence or who was saying she wasn’t a music force?

Comment

• Originally posted by beredy View Post
                    It's not about the number of successful albums though. So can some new singer become Madonna's or Mariah's peer once they rack up the required number of successful albums?

The fact that both Madonna and Mariah had completely different starts, different influences, different career paths, were in the different genres can't make them peers.

Who mentioned Kate Bush and the 70's when talking about Madonna? Only you. She debuted solo in 1982. No one would ever dream calling Kate Madonna's peer.

But Madonna is through and through 80's. She helped define the decade ffs. I don't know why you're acting like she wasn't one of the main centerpieces of 80's music and culture? One full decade before Mariah even stepped foot on the music scene. How can they be peers?
                    Oh I overlooked this.

u sum it up so well.

Comment

• I miss your avatar, CandyShop.
                      My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

It's not about the number of successful albums though. So can some new singer become Madonna's or Mariah's peer once they rack up the required number of successful albums?

I literally responded to someone claiming Madonna was from the 70/80's era and Mariah comes from the 90's/ soundscan era.
                        That's what my whole ranting is about, the fact that some fans here claim Madonna is from an entire different era in music when really there's not much of a difference. It's not as if Madonna came out in the 70's and Mariah in the 90's.

Comment

I literally responded to someone claiming Madonna was from the 70/80's era and Mariah comes from the 90's/ soundscan era.
                          That's what my whole ranting is about, the fact that some fans here claim Madonna is from an entire different era in music when really there's not much of a difference. It's not as if Madonna came out in the 70's and Mariah in the 90's.
                          Still very early 80's and beginning of 90's is a big time difference. Between Madonna's debut and Mariah's many many careers came and went.

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post
                            I miss your avatar, CandyShop.
                            I didn’t remove it.

I don’t know why it don’t show up

Comment

Still very early 80's and beginning of 90's is a big time difference. Between Madonna's debut and Mariah's many many careers came and went.
                              Again, as I said in my original comment in this discussion: Madonna came out in 83 and became really popular mid 80's.
                              Some popular acts who came out in 2005 belong to an ENTIRE different era compared to those who debuted in 2010? Don't think people see such a gap there.
                              Also my comments on Whitney/Mariah are ignored. They're definitely seen as peers, is it just because they stood holding hands at the Oscars?
                              I think the whole 'Mariah is not Madonna's peer' idea comes from fan wars.
                              They're peers end of.

Comment

• This is just going to go around in circles. Youre free to think they are peers but they are not as outlined by multiple members here for better reasons then yours. They are not peers. End of.

Comment

• Whitney Mariah's peer? No. Whitney belongs with 80's women (among which is Madonna).

Comment

Whitney Mariah's peer? No. Whitney belongs with 80's women (among which is Madonna).
                                    What a strange thing to say that someone belongs to a specific era. Especially saying Whitney belongs to the 80's when she was at her height during the 90's.

I grew up in the 90's and Madonna, Whitney & Mariah were all equally popular on radio and tv. Gorgeous female in pop music. But of course, not peers..

Comment

• Technically Madonna's most direct or main peers are Janet Jackson, Whitney Houston, Cyndi Lauper and to a less degree Kylie Minogue.

Mariah isn't Madonna's peer if we want to make some sense. She debuted nearly one decade after Madonna's first commercially released single (1982), there are 8 years of difference between their career debuts which happens to be the exact same span of years there is between Mariah and Britney's debuts. So if Mariah is Madonna's peer then Britney should be Mariah's peer too.

However I understand why people often put Mariah up there as a Madonna peer. Mariah had a lot of impact and at one point in the 90s was seen as the woman who ended Madonna's reign (when she was underperfoming with "Erotica" or selling moderately with "Bedtime Stories" while Mariah was smashing Diamond albums) this created a media rivarly (similar to that Britney and Xtina had) which lead many to mistake them as peers when in reality they aren't actual peers. Of course Madonna later pulled a massive comeback with "Ray Of Light" and the rest is history.
                                      Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Comment

What a strange thing to say that someone belongs to a specific era. Especially saying Whitney belongs to the 80's when she was at her height during the 90's.

I grew up in the 90's and Madonna, Whitney & Mariah were all equally popular on radio and tv. Gorgeous female in pop music. But of course, not peers..
                                        Other than the "Bodyguard" Whitney was far from being at her height during the 90s if we look outside of that movie / soundtrack.

During the 80s Whitney released two massive +20million selling albums with basically most of her big hit songs released during that period, including the timeless "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" which is currently her biggest song on Spotify.
                                        Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Comment

• Whitney, Mariah, Janet, Celine and Madonna were all hugely popular in the 90s.

But yes, of course Madonna was on her height in the mid 80's, when she had 8 hits in just one year (1985), three albums high in the charts at the same time (1986) and weekly in every magazine.

Although Whitney may had her peak in the 90s with The Bodyguard and I Will Always Love You, her biggest success when it comes to multiple singles was in the 80s. She had seven consecutive #1 hits in 1986/1987. A record that is still not broken by anyone. Also, her most successful albums were in the 80s (as The Bodyguard is a soundtrack with various artists).

Janet was also at her peak in the 80s with Control and Rhythm Nation 1814.

Celine (English debut in the 90s) and Mariah (debut also in the 90s) are up there with Madonna, Janet and Whitney IMO as belong to the Big Five of the 80s/90s. But when peers are considered artists of the same era, than Madonna, Whitney and Janet belong to the 80s more than the 90s.
                                          My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• ^Everything has been said. Case closed.

Comment

• Madonna and Mariah both having huge comeback albums in 2005, at the same time. But they're not peers.
                                              Anyway, all I'm saying is in my eyes these huge females in music have a lot in common and that's why they're peers, they belong to an eclectic era of music and were all successful but if you disagree, it's fine.

Comment

• Having huge albums at the same time don't make two artists peers. Also having the same amount of albums don't make them peers. Madonna released her 4th studio already by the time Mariah debuted.
                                                Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• 10 Best Super Bowl Halftime Shows

M is #3

https://www.billboard.com/articles/l...-shows-10-best

Comment

• 8th anniv

Comment

Working...
                                                    X