No announcement yet.

Madonna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone knows where can I find good quality Miley and Madonna Don't tell me performance? There used to be one on yt but is not anymore

EDIT. Nvm, just found it on vimeo. Here's the link if someone wants to watch it

https://vimeo.com/85932023
    Last edited by Bulwieboo; Tue October 20, 2020, 18:58.

Comment

• Erotica has to be my least favourite album... second only to Like a Prayer.

I quite like the album though, but every song drags on at least a minute more than it needs to, and why include Did You Do It? It’s like she was trying to fill the goddamn CD up

Personally I think the album came alive on tour, but even then she picked the wrong songs - Bad Girl, Waiting and Words deserved to be performed too.
      Straight white men rule everything around me

Comment

• Originally posted by JeremySpears View Post
        The legendary "Erotica" album was released 28 years ago today.
        A masterpiece
        I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

Comment

• Originally posted by menime123 View Post
          Erotica has to be my least favourite album... second only to Like a Prayer.
          Two of her best albums.

But I agree that DYDI is a filler...a very very bad filler. But still better than "Incredible" or "B-Day Song".
          Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift •

Comment

• Official Erotica Album Cover Lithograph. Limited Collector's Edition 1/1000

https://shop.madonna.com/collections...edition-1-1000
            5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

Erotica has to be my least favourite album... second only to Like a Prayer.

I quite like the album though, but every song drags on at least a minute more than it needs to, and why include Did You Do It? It’s like she was trying to fill the goddamn CD up

Personally I think the album came alive on tour, but even then she picked the wrong songs - Bad Girl, Waiting and Words deserved to be performed too.
              Erotica is my favorite album by M, but yes i 100% agree. Every song, besides maybe some of the singles, is about a minute too long. Like Fever could have ended around the 3:35 second mark. I dont need 6 minute versions of Waiting, WLB, ITL. Words is one of my favorite songs so Ill give her a pass on that one being long.

Madonna loves long songs.

As for Did You Do It, well its a little funny. I dont take it that serious.

Comment

• Originally posted by JeremySpears View Post

Two of her best albums.

But I agree that DYDI is a filler...a very very bad filler. But still better than "Incredible" or "B-Day Song".
                I love Incredible and B-Day Song

Comment

• I know Erotica is the topic of the day but yeah, I also love Incredible. Especially if you you put it in context with the time it was conceived.

Comment

• Erotica is the first Madonna album I ever bought with my own money. Love this album, probably my #3 album by her.
                    She's got a cute little voice but she doesn't really have any fans...none that can fight....

Comment

• 5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

• Dita Parlo is so iconic.
                        Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• M being Dita parlo is iconic. The queen of ideas.
                          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                          This gallery has 2 photos.
                          Madonna is the queen of pop and the biggest selling female music artist of all time!

Comment

I love Incredible and B-Day Song
                            I like Incredible but Bidet song can suck it lol

Comment

• Originally posted by NormiMalone View Post
                              Erotica is the first Madonna album I ever bought with my own money. Love this album, probably my #3 album by her.
                              it really is a good album, too bad it got kinda lost in between all of the media circus back then
                              I wish for a revised, remastered and extended box set edition one day (w/all of the videos too)

Comment

• Originally posted by AndiIversen View Post

it really is a good album, too bad it got kinda lost in between all of the media circus back then
                                I wish for a revised, remastered and extended box set edition one day (w/all of the videos too)
                                she messed up a little I think - the album should have come out before the book, but instead she used the book to promote the album. If the album had come out first, can you imagine the storm seeing her in those booklet photos? It would have increased hype for the book ten fold instead of the book putting people off the album and Madonna.

Comment

she messed up a little I think - the album should have come out before the book, but instead she used the book to promote the album. If the album had come out first, can you imagine the storm seeing her in those booklet photos? It would have increased hype for the book ten fold instead of the book putting people off the album and Madonna.
                                  The album was released before the book and it wasn't that easy to buy the book as it was sold out quickly.

People I knew just weren't that crazy about the lead single and album. We were spoiled by some of her best music ever with Like A Prayer and we just had a reminder with The Immaculate Collection what she was truely capable of. She was everywhere promoting the album, but her look with the golden tooth was also not very well received by the GP.
                                  Treated me kind, sweet destiny, carried me through desperation... Prayed through the nights, carried the weight on my own and now I know I've succeeded in finding the place I conceived... I had a Vision of Love

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post

The album was released before the book and it wasn't that easy to buy the book as it was sold out quickly.

People I knew just weren't that crazy about the lead single and album. We were spoiled by some of her best music ever with Like A Prayer and we just had a reminder with The Immaculate Collection what she was truely capable of. She was everywhere promoting the album, but her look with the golden tooth was also not very well received by the GP.
                                    I felt the eye patch was the gold tooth equivalent when we got the MX era

Comment

I was 5, so I don’t remember it

Wikipedia tells me the album came out a day before the book, which I think was the wrong move too - maybe the album should have had its own moment to shine.

But I absolutely love the SEX book. My parents bought me a copy off eBay when I was a teenager for Christmas. Slightly odd, but I was glad to have it

SEX though really is a work of art, but I’ve often thought it was Madonna deliberately trying to break her career (which it did, and possibly more than she intended). I know that sounds silly, but where was Madonna supposed to go after Like a Prayer, Vogue and Justify My Love?

Very few reach the heights Madonna did in the early 90s and the only way was down - SEX and Erotica I think we’re attempts to reboot her career on her own terms, break her popularity (rather than let it decline) and instead of letting her star and relevance fade, she stepped into a completely new lane altogether.

Whatever she hoped to achieve with SEX, it backfired on her in ways she could never have imagined. Nearly 30 years later though, it is literally the bravest career move a popstar has ever made and broke so many barriers - everyone else could step it up and do whatever the wanted because ‘it wasn’t as bad as Madonna’ was doing.

The irony is that SEX sold 1.5 million copies and despite people claiming Erotica was a flop, Madonna’s studio album sales had been on the decline anyway - True Blue sold 25 million worldwide, Like a Prayer dropped to 15 million worldwide, (I’m Breathless dropped to 9 million) and then Erotica down to 6 million.

As a fan I’ve always been interested in how Madonna built her career back up after SEX and if I’m honest, I think part of the ‘self sabotage’ was so she could have the challenge of trying to get back up on top

Comment

• I think she thought she was so popular she could do anything and get away with it. Also, she was a rebel and wanted to be a bad girl.
                                        Treated me kind, sweet destiny, carried me through desperation... Prayed through the nights, carried the weight on my own and now I know I've succeeded in finding the place I conceived... I had a Vision of Love

Comment

• Erotica video has upgraded to HD at YouTube

Comment

I think she thought she was so popular she could do anything and get away with it. Also, she was a rebel and wanted to be a bad girl.
                                            I’m not sure she thought she could get away with it - how could she assume the world would be okay with SEX? Okay, yes, the music on its own would have been absolutely fine - but at what point could anyone in her team think it was a good idea and not career suicide?

Clearly Madonna was in charge and no one was in a position to say no (or they did and she ignored them). She must have known what she was walking into... though I don’t think she expected it to be as bad as it was.

But that’s what happens when you upset the apple cart - you can’t control the fallout!

Comment

• I don’t think there’s anything philosophical or that deep behind the Erotica release.

I don’t think she sat down and calculated that much.

IMO the whole thing was spontaneous from her part, I think she wanted to experiment more with her music and Madonna said she was obsessed with sex at the time and she was just being provocative so she presented it to her public and media that way. That’s it.

I don’t really think she thought the reaction was going to be that bad though, she had previously gone away with many stuff .. the LAV and MG provocative lyrics, the catholic references and burning crosses during the LAP era, the sexuality on “Justify My Love” while being successful every time so she probably thought that she could push the envelope one more time and a bit further and still go away with it (like she had done it in the past) because she was Madonna the superstar and because it had not been a problem for her to push people’s buttons before.

Unlike previous controversies this one backfired at the time.
                                              Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                                              Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• From her personal letter during the era, we see that Madonna was deeply affected by the backlash of Sex. Thank god the social media didn't exist back then. It wasn't "cool" to be her fan at the time. She spent the rest of the decade repairing her destroyed image, jumping into the mainstream R&B bandwagon and working with Celine's producer on Something to Remember.

Comment

• Whitney Houston - The Bodyguard (42 million copies)
                                                  Mariah Carey - Music Box (28 million copies)
                                                  Celine Dion - The Colour Of My Love (17 million copies)
                                                  Janet Jackson - Janet (14 million copies)
                                                  Madonna - Erotica (6 million copies)

Imagine the stan wars (if it exisited) during 1992-1994
                                                  She's the biggest survival in the history of music, and fortunately we got Ray of Light, Music, and Confession on A Dance Floor, which were the three supermassive eras.
                                                  By 2005, only Mariah could rival her saleswise, the rest of the divas are already in their fad status.

Comment

• 28 years later, Madonna is the only relevant one who can debut albums in top 3 of most major markets.
                                                    Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

Working...
                                                    X