Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AlphaMale
    Legend
    • 25 Dec 2012

At least the VMA's are news after all this time!!!
    "Complaining is an advertisement for stupidity"

Comment

• autumnwind
      Manager
      • 21 Oct 2016

that's still going on as some black people got offended in twitter because a white girl called madonna remarked her respect toward aretha.

and im still sure if janet or beyonce did it, they would have praised them to death.
      Madonna is the queen of pop and the biggest selling female music artist of all time!

Comment

• autumnwind
        Manager
        • 21 Oct 2016

it never was an aretha tribute show last night after all.

i think people have got mistaken still.

she could pay respect to anyone if she felt like.

camilla did it to madonna.

dont act like we have watched a msg aretha tribute show last night and madonna made it there.

she can make her personal speech on stage. its vma
        Madonna is the queen of pop and the biggest selling female music artist of all time!

Comment

• spiritboy
          Legend
          • 11 Jan 2004

Re: Madonna

While i agree that there was nothing offensive in that speech, Madonna should've stayed away from this. People are ready to attack her whatever she does, especially Janet and Mariah fans. I think MTV threw her under the bus by requesting to mention Aretha in her speech. I don't think Madonna cares about much because people who got angry aren't her audience anyway. What people should understand is that
          it wasn't an official Aretha tribute, MTV asked her to speak a few words about her in her speech.
          Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• autumnwind
            Manager
            • 21 Oct 2016

Originally posted by spiritboy
            While i agree that there was nothing offensive in that speech, Madonna should've stayed away from this. People are ready to attack her whatever she does, especially Janet and Mariah fans. I think MTV threw her under the bus by requesting to mention Aretha in her speech. I don't think Madonna cares about much because people who got angry aren't her audience anyway. What people should understand is that
            it wasn't an official Aretha tribute, MTV asked her to speak a few words about her in her speech.
            i sensed it.

in my country, the haters who had been shading and throwing sht at her since last night were mostly mariah's and whitney's fans here online.
            they just got angry and jealous because their idols were not there to do that.
            how ironic!
            as if they had to own the aretha.

Comment

• GetBack
              Legend
              • 11 Jun 2010

For sure, if Janet who reclaimed the respect from the people now did this storyteller tribute and if she talked about (let's say for example) how Aretha influenced her and the Jackson 5 and how Michael loved Aretha or whatever inspirational and autobiographical speech, she would have been praised for it.

It's really a matter of branding, Madonna with that look and those grills will court controversy and is most likely to be bashed as always.

Comment

• autumnwind
                Manager
                • 21 Oct 2016

im like drop the grill right now

Comment

• spiritboy
                  Legend
                  • 11 Jan 2004

Well, this is a win-win situation for both VMA's and Madonna. People talk about this more than awards and performances.
                  Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• autumnwind
                    Manager
                    • 21 Oct 2016

like it or not, madonna paid her triple respects to the black trinity:

Michael, prince, and aretha.

she did her job.

and at least thanked them for their memorable legacies.

Comment

• autumnwind
                      Manager
                      • 21 Oct 2016

Well, this is a win-win situation for both VMA's and Madonna. People talk about this more than awards and performances.

uhuh nods.

madonna can burn up anything to the ashes because of making controversy even when she did not intend to.
                      sometimes people just make it because bitch she is madonna

Comment

• cheapthrills
                        Administrator and Site Supporter
                        • 08 Jul 2016

Originally posted by autumnwind
                        Originally posted by cheapthrills
                        It sure came off as a tribute to me. MTV played a clip of Aretha singing "I Say a Little Prayer" right before Madonna came out,and then had a big picture of Aretha behind Madonna as she spoke.

Madonna basically said Aretha's impact was that she remembered one of Aretha's songs last-minute at an audition for which she was unprepared, but not before telling us how she was failing at every other audition, was hungry, and living in a crappy apartment. It was more "how Madonna got her start" than "Aretha impacted me." I get that she wanted to mention Aretha, but no matter how cute the story, that was an awkward way to do it.

theres no awkward place and occasion.
                        you are making a big deal.

maybe you got offended because janet or beyonce did not do it, but a white girl called madonna did.
                        lets face it.
                        I'm not making a big deal. I'm saying Madonna could have handled this better.
                        I said nothing about race. You did.

Comment

• autumnwind
                          Manager
                          • 21 Oct 2016

yes i did because this has been the race situation and thats involved.
                          i certainly think madonna gets discriminated and backlash from the black community because she is a white girl and paid respects to a legend on stage and it was not from beyonce, janet, sia, or any black artist.
                          in my country, those people were mostly mariahs and whitney fans, since there are very few of arethas.

arsenio hall did agitate the whole nation to block madonna from tributing black artists
                          so was the case not that?

Comment

• spiritboy
                            Legend
                            • 11 Jan 2004

It wasn't cheapthrill's fault though. He thought she could've handled it better, i also think that. But i also say there is nothing wrong with her speech.
                            Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• autumnwind
                              Manager
                              • 21 Oct 2016

all right. i got you. i will stop here because i made my opinion and impression about it.
                              thank you all.

Comment

• AlphaMale
                                Legend
                                • 25 Dec 2012

Madonna opens schools and hospitals, raises millions for underprivileged children on her birthday and doesn't make news. She gave a personal reflection on how the Queen of Soul inspired her...her personal connection to Aretha's music..and she is being bashed. The problem is NOT MADONNA..its keyboard judges who look for only the negative while ignoring the positive. Shame on the haters.
                                "Complaining is an advertisement for stupidity"

Comment

• Gravity
                                  Legend
                                  • 05 Jan 2016

At least people are now talking about the VMAs now. They were such a non-event otherwise.
                                  Floped and localed

Comment

• jochen
                                    Manager
                                    • 13 Feb 2008

Originally posted by AlphaMale
                                    Madonna opens schools and hospitals, raises millions for underprivileged children on her birthday and doesn't make news. She gave a personal reflection on how the Queen of Soul inspired her...her personal connection to Aretha's music..and she is being bashed. The problem is NOT MADONNA..its keyboard judges who look for only the negative while ignoring the positive. Shame on the haters.
                                    Dont make such a Drama
                                    She survived other things lol
                                    YOU cant blame nobody but YOU

Comment

• madgikman
                                      Personal Assistant
                                      • 22 May 2014

I think at this point, it doesn't matter what Madonna says or does, she's always going to get back lash for simply being Madonna. GP just doesn't get her at all.

Comment

• Eamon
                                        Legend
                                        • 11 Jun 2009

Originally posted by GetBack
                                        For sure, if Janet who reclaimed the respect from the people now did this storyteller tribute and if she talked about (let's say for example) how Aretha influenced her and the Jackson 5 and how Michael loved Aretha or whatever inspirational and autobiographical speech, she would have been praised for it.

It's really a matter of branding, Madonna with that look and those grills will court controversy and is most likely to be bashed as always.
                                        No. If anyone came out and spoke about themselves with a loose AF connection to the person they are meant to be tributing, it would result in backlash. It just happened to be Madonna that made this all about herself. It wasn’t the place or the time for a speech of this nature no matter who would have delivered it.

Comment

• Eamon
                                          Legend
                                          • 11 Jun 2009

This isn’t 1995. Most of Janet and Mariah fans weren’t blowing up on Twitter.

Industry folk like Diane Warren etc. were saying it wasn’t appropriate so let’s not try justify the backlash by making a stan war out of it. Madonna spoke about herself. It wasn’t a good move. People in general didn’t like it, end of.

Comment

Working...