Madonna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by music126 View Post
    So Madonna released quite a few videos for Madame X, do you think for her next album she will do the same, or do you think she may hold back and not release as much?
    For me, it’s quality over quantity. I could live without the videos for Crave and Batuka, and I still think Dark Ballet was pointless considering it featured Madonna for just 2 seconds (she didn’t have to play Joan but she didn’t have to skip the video all together).

But Medellin, God Control and are some of her best videos in years. To be honest her video output in the 2010s was fairly strong - GMAYL, Ghosttown, Medellin and God Control are right up there with her best for me.

Personally I wish she had done a music video for Future, Killers, Crazy and Come Alive:

Future - Madonna plays a medieval military Queen leading her entourage on a singing and dancing procession.

Killers - Madonna walking through an art gallery, looking at moving paintings that depict Madonna playing/interacting with the groups she sings about within the art itself, with maybe a ballroom dance in the middle of the gallery.

Crazy - Should have been shot on the album photoshoot. Would have been perfect and a few fans have made videos using behind the scenes footage from it for Crazy.

Come Alive - Honestly, she had the right imagery from when she went to Morocco for her birthday. Fire pits, local fashion, lots of fun.
    Straight white men rule everything around me

Comment

• Originally posted by menime123 View Post

For me, it’s quality over quantity. I could live without the videos for Crave and Batuka, and I still think Dark Ballet was pointless considering it featured Madonna for just 2 seconds (she didn’t have to play Joan but she didn’t have to skip the video all together).

But Medellin, God Control and are some of her best videos in years. To be honest her video output in the 2010s was fairly strong - GMAYL, Ghosttown, Medellin and God Control are right up there with her best for me.

Personally I wish she had done a music video for Future, Killers, Crazy and Come Alive:

Future - Madonna plays a medieval military Queen leading her entourage on a singing and dancing procession.

Killers - Madonna walking through an art gallery, looking at moving paintings that depict Madonna playing/interacting with the groups she sings about within the art itself, with maybe a ballroom dance in the middle of the gallery.

Crazy - Should have been shot on the album photoshoot. Would have been perfect and a few fans have made videos using behind the scenes footage from it for Crazy.

Come Alive - Honestly, she had the right imagery from when she went to Morocco for her birthday. Fire pits, local fashion, lots of fun.
      no Faz Gostoso?

Comment

• Originally posted by AndiIversen View Post

no Faz Gostoso?
        I don’t understand the love. I enjoy it and it works in the context of the album, but ultimately it’s a cover song and as great a cover as it is, there’s little to no connection with the whole Madame X concept, so no - no video, no remixes, no performances.

Personally I have long suspected it was simply a song Madonna heard on the radio in Portugal, liked, and added it to the album for the kids. Sort of like a song to remind them all of their time in Portugal. Otherwise I don’t know why she would have covered it.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong but every cover song to feature on her studio albums ended up a single - the fact this didn’t, suggests a more personal reason for inclusion.

I also dislike that the original artist wasn’t the feature, but it’s not that deep for an album track.

Comment

• She’s spoken of the difficulty of learning and singing Portuguese for this song so I suspect that’s why we didn’t see it on tour or get a video for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mpol View Post
            She’s spoken of the difficulty of learning and singing Portuguese for this song so I suspect that’s why we didn’t see it on tour or get a video for it.
            If she had wanted to do a video or performance, that wouldn’t have stopped her.

Comment

• So for my 20,000th post... an album ranking seems appropriate.

01. American Life
              02. Confessions
              03. Music
              04. Madame X
              05. Hard Candy
              06. Ray of Light
              07. Bedtime Stories
              08. Like a Virgin
              09. MDNA
              10. Rebel Heart
              11. True Blue
              12. Madonna
              13. Erotica
              14. Like a Prayer

Comment

• I've subscribed to Spotify but sadly many songs and remix are not available

Sad to see fan that don't consider I'm Breathless an album. More sad to see lap at the last place. Anyway everyone has his personal taste.
                Last edited by paperinobz; Fri January 29, 2021, 17:01.

Comment

To me the only video I don't care about from this album is "Batuka"... all the others are pretty great, even "Crave" with its faux-ghetto aesthetics. I would like to see a video for "Crazy" too, certainly not for "Future" or "Come Alive", the latter I just don't like and the former is a good album track and nothing more (on second thought it's better than "Batuka" so we could have a video for it after all)

I consider "Dark Ballet" a good video even without much of Madonna. Hell, I consider "Dear Jessie" a great video lol

"Killers" to me is like "Batuka": a potentially great song completely destroyed by terrible nasal vocals. Those are painful songs to hear because they could be so much more if only Madonna had bothered delivering them with her usual deep voice (that she still has but for some reason doesn't use)

I agree about "Faz Gastozo", the original is a good dance song, the cover is pretty pointless plus the terrible vocals are there too.

PS: any Madonna albums' ranking that doesn't include "I'm Breathless" because some people think an album made of 11 completely new songs by an artist is not a studio album is obsolete for me.
                  jio CHARTS NOW: 5/7//2022: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...4#post10956364

Comment

• I’m Breathless is a great album, but it’s never been part of her main discography. It is what it is.

Comment

• Originally posted by paperinobz View Post
                      I've subscribed to Spotify but sadly many songs and remix are not available

Sad to see fan that don't consider I'm Breathless an album. More sad to see lap at the last place. Anyway everyone has his personal taste.
                      99% of her songs are on Spotify, aside from one or two b-sides.

Comment

• I dont like batuka. Its so dull and uninteresting. Boring.
                        Madonna is the queen of pop and the biggest selling female music artist of all time!

Comment

• Album ranking:

01. True Blue
                          02. Like a Prayer
                          03. Like a Virgin
                          04. I'm Breathless
                          05. Madonna
                          06. American Life
                          07. Confessions on a Dance Floor
                          08. Bedtime Stories
                          09. Ray of Light
                          10. Erotica
                          11. Rebel Heart
                          12. MDNA
                          13. Music
                          14. Hard Candy
                          15. Madame X

Treated me kind, sweet destiny, carried me through desperation... Prayed through the nights, carried the weight on my own and now I know I've succeeded in finding the place I conceived... I had a Vision of Love

Comment

99% of her songs are on Spotify, aside from one or two b-sides.
                            What It Feels like for a girl spanish version Is not there, remixes same thing, you'll see spanish version Is not there, remixes in general are not there, cause many didn't still have a Digital reissue.
                            Last edited by paperinobz; Sat January 30, 2021, 06:53.

Comment

• Listening to Spotlight and guys you have no idea how fresh, new and unusually the sound was in 1987. Something like Vogue in 1990 and Music in 2000

Comment

• What? "Spotlight" is great (and deserved to have a video) but it screams 1987
                                jio CHARTS NOW: 5/7//2022: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...4#post10956364

Comment

• Batuka is a horror, i agree with comments above. I also hate Bitch I'm Loca, other than that, i really love Madame X, her best album in ages.
                                  Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• 1.American Life
                                    2.Bedtime Stories
                                    3.Like A Virgin
                                    4.I'm Breathless
                                    5.Like A Prayer
                                    6.Madonna
                                    7.Erotica
                                    8.Music
                                    9.Confessions On A Dancefloor
                                    10.Ray Of Light
                                    11.Rebel Heart
                                    12.True Blue
                                    13.Hard Candy
                                    14.Madame X
                                    15.MDNA

I'm a bit unsure about positions #7-#10 but otherwise it is pretty accurate how I view them right now

Comment

What It Feels like for a girl spanish version Is not there, remixes same thing, you'll see spanish version Is not there, remixes in general are not there, cause many didn't still have a Digital reissue.
                                      Remixes aside, the only songs missing from Spotify are:

Gambler
                                      Ain’t No Big Deal
                                      This Used To Be My Playground (Long Version)
                                      Erotic
                                      Up Down Suite
                                      Let Down Your Guard
                                      Guilty by Association
                                      Freedom
                                      Verás
                                      Has To Be
                                      Cyber-Raga
                                      Lo Que Siente La Mujer
                                      I Love New York (Demo Version)
                                      Super Pop
                                      Broken
                                      Autotune Baby
                                      Funana
                                      Back That Up To The Beat
                                      Ciao Bella

It’s hardly the end of the world that out of her hundreds of songs, only these lesser known, even crappy songs aren’t on there.The only real omission from Spotify is Gambler, which should be on there because it’s an official Madonna single. Any Madonna fan worth their salt would have just imported those into Spotify anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post
                                        Album ranking:

01. True Blue
                                        02. Like a Prayer
                                        03. Like a Virgin
                                        04. I'm Breathless
                                        05. Madonna
                                        06. American Life
                                        07. Confessions on a Dance Floor
                                        08. Bedtime Stories
                                        09. Ray of Light
                                        10. Erotica
                                        11. Rebel Heart
                                        12. MDNA
                                        13. Music
                                        14. Hard Candy
                                        15. Madame X

Is it not a bit odd when you look at that list, and basically realise that aside from American Life and Confessions, every time she releases a new album, you like it less than the last?

Your list is dominated by the 80s - I can’t imagine being a Madonna fan for almost 40 years and thinking her best work came in her 1st decade. On some level, you’ve been ‘disappointed’ for almost 30 years

Comment

Listening to Spotlight and guys you have no idea how fresh, new and unusually the sound was in 1987. Something like Vogue in 1990 and Music in 2000
                                          Considering Spotlight was a leftover from True Blue, there’s nothing 1987 about it

Comment

• Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
                                            Batuka is a horror, i agree with comments above. I also hate Bitch I'm Loca, other than that, i really love Madame X, her best album in ages.
                                            I love Batuka, but the video is just pointless as we can see her stand in a mile off.

Comment

• Originally posted by autumnwind View Post
                                              I dont like batuka. Its so dull and uninteresting. Boring.
                                              What!? The autotune is one thing but during the Madame X tour Batuka was probably the most "dancey" song there was. The speakers were blasting the beat so hard my whole body was shaking. It was the best performance for me.

Comment

Is it not a bit odd when you look at that list, and basically realise that aside from American Life and Confessions, every time she releases a new album, you like it less than the last?

Your list is dominated by the 80s - I can’t imagine being a Madonna fan for almost 40 years and thinking her best work came in her 1st decade. On some level, you’ve been ‘disappointed’ for almost 30 years
                                                I was a teenager in the 80s, so I'm glad those were my favorite years as it meant a lot to me back then. She got me through some very rough times.

I've never really been disappointed by her albums though. Back in 1985 when I bought her first two albums I loved them almost equally. Then True Blue was even better IMO. And back then I thought Like A Prayer was even better than True Blue. And when I'm Breathless was released I liked it better than Like a Prayer. So untill Erotica was released I liked every album better than the last one.

But yes, every since Erotica I have never thought of an album as brilliant as Madonna/Like a virgin/True Blue/Like a Prayer/I'm Breathless. Still, Evita, American Life and Confessions on a Dance Floor came really close.

I have accepted it she won't release an album anymore like the ones in the early days. She's not here anymore for recording a great pop record filled with single material. She wants to be an artist and that's fine with me. As long there are a few great songs on every album, I'm happy. In that aspect, she has never disappointed me.

Also, Madonna is not my #1 singer anymore like back in the day. So as long as Mariah keeps releasing albums I like as a whole, I'm happy.

Treated me kind, sweet destiny, carried me through desperation... Prayed through the nights, carried the weight on my own and now I know I've succeeded in finding the place I conceived... I had a Vision of Love

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post

I was a teenager in the 80s, so I'm glad those were my favorite years as it meant a lot to me back then. She got me through some very rough times.

I've never really been disappointed by her albums though. Back in 1985 when I bought her first two albums I loved them almost equally. Then True Blue was even better IMO. And back then I thought Like A Prayer was even better than True Blue. And when I'm Breathless was released I liked it better than Like a Prayer. So untill Erotica was released I liked every album better than the last one.

But yes, every since Erotica I have never thought of an album as brilliant as Madonna/Like a virgin/True Blue/Like a Prayer/I'm Breathless. Still, Evita, American Life and Confessions on a Dance Floor came really close.

I have accepted it she won't release an album anymore like the ones in the early days. She's not here anymore for recording a great pop record filled with single material. She wants to be an artist and that's fine with me. As long there are a few great songs on every album, I'm happy. In that aspect, she has never disappointed me.

Also, Madonna is not my #1 singer anymore like back in the day. So as long as Mariah keeps releasing albums I like as a whole, I'm happy.
                                                  I get that. Obviously we can’t control what Madonna releases nor what we like, I just can’t imagine going 30 years and recognising nothing she had done outside of the 80s (and 1990) was ever going to match up.

I’m like you in that Madonna has never disappointed me but at least albums like Madame X come along and bring me back to reconnecting with the woman I love. I just can’t imagine spending decades where that hasn’t happened, that’s all

Comment

• Originally posted by jio View Post
                                                    What? "Spotlight" is great (and deserved to have a video) but it screams 1987
                                                    Mainstream pop music was quite different and sounds older
                                                    Last edited by paperinobz; Sat January 30, 2021, 18:51.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X