Madonna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
    Madonna doesn't need a new manager, she needs a drive to make music again. I do think she is unmanageable as well. Also, younger generations don't care about Madonna at all so whatever she does won't be a commercial success so i'd rather she makes the music she wants rather than trying to cater to younger listeners.
    Last I checked it’s a business and not a hobby. Madonna isn’t going to make records that won’t turn a profit. It’s a business and that’s why she has a manager. It’s her manager(s) job to make sure she is taken care of. Guy couldn’t even get her a Grammy nod... Young listeners aren’t the only consumers. Bruce Springsteen and Paul McCartney manage to make moves on the charts and sales. She needs a manager that will restore his prominence. In spite of contrary views and expectations, she is the Queen of Pop.

Comment

• Originally posted by menime123 View Post

I honestly don’t think you understand - If you honestly think Madonna is suddenly going to start listening to a new manager then, so be it. Personally I think anyone demanding anything of Madonna is going to end up fired

You should also be aware Madonna has more than one manager - she’d managed by both Guy Oseary and Sara Zambreno (as per her Madame X tour book) and both Guy and Sara will serve as exec producers on the biopic.

Yep I’m quite aware she’s co-managed or more like catered to by Guy’s assistant. Her career needs direction and the same he did for U2 he could’ve done for Madonna. But he didn’t. He has the resources but he has endeared himself to her and she considers him family. He’s been a leech and hasn’t done much for her career. Sure it’s take two to tango but when your manager is telling you that the only artist over 40 being played on the radio is Pharrell...I don’t think I’d want a manager who comes up with excuses rather than solutions. He’s not hungry anymore. He’s made his millions off of Madonna’s name and as a result has achieved great influence (also thanks to Madonna).

Comment

• A man engaging with his children is now considered a loser? Seriously people!

Comment

• Originally posted by Zeph View Post

Yep I’m quite aware she’s co-managed or more like catered to by Guy’s assistant. Her career needs direction and the same he did for U2 he could’ve done for Madonna. But he didn’t. He has the resources but he has endeared himself to her and she considers him family. He’s been a leech and hasn’t done much for her career. Sure it’s take two to tango but when your manager is telling you that the only artist over 40 being played on the radio is Pharrell...I don’t think I’d want a manager who comes up with excuses rather than solutions. He’s not hungry anymore. He’s made his millions off of Madonna’s name and as a result has achieved great influence (also thanks to Madonna).
          You just simply ignore the fact that he can't actually do for Madonna the same he did for U2 **IF** Madonna doesn't want to and it is quite obvious for me and for everyone else who knows her work ethics she doesn't. In fact I agree with menime 100% ,Madonna is unmanageable. She does what and if she wants,period. Her career is where it is due to many things but even if one considers Guy O. Part of this mix,he plays a very small role and I'm 100% sure of that as well.
          TBh I think no one cares anymore,not even her and that's also ok. If and when she gives us (good) music,that's alright. I honestly don't have huge expectations regarding her,her music or her career altogether. Her best years are behind her and I've made my peace with that.

Comment

• As I said, it’s reverse sexism - expecting a man to control a woman and complaining that he can’t makes him a failure.
            Words are useless, especially sentences.
            they don’t stand for anything.
            How could they explain how I feel?

Comment

• Originally posted by Zeph View Post

Last I checked it’s a business and not a hobby. Madonna isn’t going to make records that won’t turn a profit. It’s a business and that’s why she has a manager. It’s her manager(s) job to make sure she is taken care of. Guy couldn’t even get her a Grammy nod... Young listeners aren’t the only consumers. Bruce Springsteen and Paul McCartney manage to make moves on the charts and sales. She needs a manager that will restore his prominence. In spite of contrary views and expectations, she is the Queen of Pop.
              Madame X barely sold 400 or 500k records. Do you really think it turned into profit? Nobody is earning much music from streaming or album sales these days, that's why touring has become this monster business and Guy helped Madonna become a touring giant. He also got her Super Bowl among many other things. Madonna is an intelligent businesswoman, if she thought Guy was doing a bad or lousy job, she wouldn't hesitate to fire him. You are clearly living in a fantasy land of your own regarding Madonna. U2 is listening to Guy, Madonna isn't. And Grammy nominations can't be something you can buy or secure, just look at The Weeknd. Music industry doesn't care about Madonna anymore, surely they respect her and give her a performance slot because of her legendary career but nobody cares about her new music. So unless she makes another Ray of Light, she won't have Grammy nominations. Maybe you should lower your expectations regarding her career as well, she had a very successful run but that's the end of the road for M when it comes to commercial success.

Comment

• I love this picture of Madonna going through the proofs for Madame X:

Comment

• She looks so cute with braids.

Comment

Madame X barely sold 400 or 500k records. Do you really think it turned into profit? Nobody is earning much music from streaming or album sales these days, that's why touring has become this monster business and Guy helped Madonna become a touring giant. He also got her Super Bowl among many other things. Madonna is an intelligent businesswoman, if she thought Guy was doing a bad or lousy job, she wouldn't hesitate to fire him. You are clearly living in a fantasy land of your own regarding Madonna. U2 is listening to Guy, Madonna isn't. And Grammy nominations can't be something you can buy or secure, just look at The Weeknd. Music industry doesn't care about Madonna anymore, surely they respect her and give her a performance slot because of her legendary career but nobody cares about her new music. So unless she makes another Ray of Light, she won't have Grammy nominations. Maybe you should lower your expectations regarding her career as well, she had a very successful run but that's the end of the road for M when it comes to commercial success.
                    The only fantasy here is the fact that the role of manager appears to insignificant and that is truly not the case. If you do not support the future of Madonna as an artist then perhaps you should follow your own advice and not frequent forums you are not a fan of the artist.

My expectations for Madonna still remain high because I know what she is capable of and has attained those heights over and over again. She is obviously disenchanted by the business and once, again, that is when a change of management is integral.

Without commercial success, it becomes a hobby and hobbies don’t make records or have support of the type of teams necessary in any music climate especially the one we are in today.

Comment

• Madonna needs some kind of shake up or reinvention. Madame X was a step in the right direction but she needs a clearer vision, and if that means new management then so be it.

Comment

• A spokeswoman for Madonna, Liz Rosenberg, warned not to judge her career by one album. ''She went on T.R.L. this week,'' she said, referring to MTV's popular request show, Total Request Live. ''So what? She is 45. They still love her. Has she sold the number of records she used to sell? No. But I still believe she is an unbelievable force in the music business, and her influence is tremendous. Madonna has been said to be over so many times, and each time she comes back bigger and better.'' Liz Rosenberg 11/17/03

Comment

• Someone really is stuck in time here

Comment

• It is clear Madonna still likes to work. However, not with the same intensity. Fans are mad, even calling her “unmanageable”, because she prefers to do less and spend more time with family and enjoy the fruits of her long career. She also refuses to be “popular”, though it’s actually offensive younger generations ignore her current work AND legacy so much. She doesn’t have to remind them of what she’s accomplished. If they’re lazy and uninterested, so be it. They can “look her up” or not. Whatever.

Regarding her current work, Madonna seems to enjoy working with people she considers almost family, or indeed family. Guy Oseary fits into that group. She needs a loyal friend as a manager, nothing more. She practically built the man’s career, and at this point he’s just there to advise her if needs to, handle business matters, and yea, ultimately she makes her own decisions, why shouldn’t she? Hasn’t she fought hard to be her own boss and have absolute control over her work? I completely applaud that. She’s an amazing model for all women. But then even to her fans she’s practically impossible, stubborn, etc.? Like, who the hell do they think they are? None of them have achieved 1% of what she has and suddenly they know better. I’m glad she ignores them all. Personally, I quite trust her instincts and mostly, just hope she’s living her best life in her 60s.
                            A sure way to lose happiness, I found, is to want it at the expense of everything else. - Bette Davis

Comment

• We're not mad that she's not working as much as she used to. She worked her ass off for 40 years and nobody deserves family time or whatever you call that than Madonna. We call her unmanageable because she does what she wants and doesn't listen to her manager & friend Guy Oseary about getting on stage on time. Going on stage very late is very unprofessional and disrespectful towards her fans and anyone who defends that kind of behavior is a blind stan. She's damaging her brand whether you like it or not. And since touring is the most important aspect of music business these days, she has to be extra careful about her touring reputation. Other than that, i have no problem with Madonna's work ethic, she'll do whatever she wants and if she takes a break we still have a large catalog of songs & albums we can listen to. And most of us actually applaud her for doing the music she wants, Madame X is a great album. So i'm not in that category you speak about but i still insist that she's a stubborn woman and most of us want her to be better.

Comment

We're not mad that she's not working as much as she used to. She worked her ass off for 40 years and nobody deserves family time or whatever you call that than Madonna. We call her unmanageable because she does what she wants and doesn't listen to her manager & friend Guy Oseary about getting on stage on time. Going on stage very late is very unprofessional and disrespectful towards her fans and anyone who defends that kind of behavior is a blind stan. She's damaging her brand whether you like it or not. And since touring is the most important aspect of music business these days, she has to be extra careful about her touring reputation. Other than that, i have no problem with Madonna's work ethic, she'll do whatever she wants and if she takes a break we still have a large catalog of songs & albums we can listen to. And most of us actually applaud her for doing the music she wants, Madame X is a great album. So i'm not in that category you speak about but i still insist that she's a stubborn woman and most of us want her to be better.
                                Oh I’m totally with you on the issue of her going really late on stage. That was arrogant and unacceptable. Even when she was told she had a curfew in London she still decided to go on late-ish, which always led to a stressful experience for everyone. Personally I kept looking at my watch and wondering if she was going to be able to finish the 2 shows I saw.

That said, I’m not sure if touring being the most important aspect of the music business anymore. COVID-19 has turned that upside down so we’ll see how shows are reinvented in the future. Sort of interesting that M’s last tour with Live Nation ended as the pandemic started, though. The 2000s and 2010s were the most profitable decades for touring and I’m really glad ahe was able to make the most of it all. Let’s see where M and the music business go from here.
                                A sure way to lose happiness, I found, is to want it at the expense of everything else. - Bette Davis

Comment

• It's quite funny with the curfew stuff because it really made the Madame X show we saw in London a magical experience...my night was when the curtain was brought down on her and she came out with all her dancers singing in front of the curtain, the entire crowd was up singing along...I'll never forget the magic in the air at that moment - I can't really explain it.

Comment

• It’s Madonna. There’s no need to explain it. She brings that magic to all of her shows.

Comment

• Madonna is unmanageable because she goes on stage late then tells the audience how her manager keeps asking her to go onstage on time, but ignores him. She’s also told us Guy keeps asking her to include more hits when she tours and she ignores that too.

If Madonna ignores these fundamental basics, she’s clearly ignoring him on the bigger stuff. Guy knows what we want from Madonna - more music, remastered albums, expanded albums, rarities and for Madonna to perform lesser known songs. To think they haven’t had those conversations is naive, and we all know it’s Madonna shooting them down.

However, it’s possible Madonna has come around to some of the ideas as we get towards her 40th anniversary in music. She’s doing a biopic and we know she’s been listening to some of her earliest demos. Who knows what else she’s decided she’s open to?

If we get nothing on her 40th, it’s only 10 years from there to her 50th - and I’ve long expected her to bow out of her music career once she gets there. She’ll be 74 when Everybody turns 50, probably 75 by the time she finishes a greatest hits tour.

Then when she’s retired I hope she spends a few years writing her autobiography. But I do think this next decade between her 40th and 50th will be her last in music. It’s rather scary thinking we might only have possibly two or three more studio albums to come between 2021 and 2032.

Comment

• So we have just had confirmation from Rosie ODonnel via the Hot Takes Podcast, that the script for the movie is needing to be rewritten. Diablo Cody won’t be on this version.

Yikes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mpol View Post
                                          So we have just had confirmation from Rosie ODonnel via the Hot Takes Podcast, that the script for the movie is needing to be rewritten. Diablo Cody won’t be on this version.

Yikes.
                                          Rosie only says she thinks Madonna is looking for a new writer, and no, it doesn’t mean Diablo is out. Scripts go through multiple versions and sometimes are still being re-written when a movie is already shooting.

In the end, different writers add their own voices and end up sharing scriptwriting credits even if they never sat in a room together to work on it. It doesn’t mean anything and Madonna is clearly in pre-production on the script, based on her Instagram posts.

It’s the same with her music - she tends to writes demos herself with a guitar then takes them to different producers looking for an inspired way to move the song forward. Songs like Broken and Hollywood were written years before they ended up being released, and we know Rebel Heart was shipped out to different people to work on different versions (and was also supposed to be re-produced by Kanye once Madonna all the final versions to ensure a sense of cohesion, but the leaks and time frame prevented that).

However it is very possible that angry Instagram post a few weeks ago was indeed about the biopic

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimshakes View Post
                                            It's quite funny with the curfew stuff because it really made the Madame X show we saw in London a magical experience...my night was when the curtain was brought down on her and she came out with all her dancers singing in front of the curtain, the entire crowd was up singing along...I'll never forget the magic in the air at that moment - I can't really explain it.
                                            That was my show too and it was just brilliant. I have no idea if I Rise works as a closing song, but when that curtain closed the energy in that room was just next level. I honestly think Madonna was loving it, based on that video she posted to Instagram.

From what I understand she wasn’t actually over her time - she had a grace period and still had 10 minutes of it left when they closed the curtain. Obviously she never made the same mistake again, so the Palladium were the real winners, but it was just truly magical witnessing it - there was a real connection between artist and audience you just can’t get in an arena.

Comment

• That ending must've been magical.

Comment

• I would hate to work on this with Madonna, I think she could be a nightmare to work with especially if she has a vision in her head and the writers are not getting it.

In terms of directors, if Madonna really wants this to be a critical success she should heavily consider getting a reputable director. Even if Madonna strikes the right balance and directs a great film the critics will bash her no matter what- and it will result in the general public ignoring the movie.

Comment

• Originally posted by tee View Post
                                                  I would hate to work on this with Madonna, I think she could be a nightmare to work with especially if she has a vision in her head and the writers are not getting it.

In terms of directors, if Madonna really wants this to be a critical success she should heavily consider getting a reputable director. Even if Madonna strikes the right balance and directs a great film the critics will bash her no matter what- and it will result in the general public ignoring the movie.
                                                  I honestly believe Madonna is making this for three reasons:

1. To prove she is a good director
                                                  2. To stop anyone else making a biopic
                                                  3. To cash in on the current biopic trend

I’m not convinced it’s for artistic purposes, but serves as a way of stopping other people making money using her name and to make a movie people will actually watch and notice her skills as a director. It’s absolutely a springboard to getting better director jobs/securing funding for her own movie projects rather than fan service.

Comment

• Originally posted by madfan13 View Post
                                                    It is clear Madonna still likes to work. However, not with the same intensity. Fans are mad, even calling her “unmanageable”, because she prefers to do less and spend more time with family and enjoy the fruits of her long career. She also refuses to be “popular”, though it’s actually offensive younger generations ignore her current work AND legacy so much. She doesn’t have to remind them of what she’s accomplished. If they’re lazy and uninterested, so be it. They can “look her up” or not. Whatever.

Regarding her current work, Madonna seems to enjoy working with people she considers almost family, or indeed family. Guy Oseary fits into that group. She needs a loyal friend as a manager, nothing more. She practically built the man’s career, and at this point he’s just there to advise her if needs to, handle business matters, and yea, ultimately she makes her own decisions, why shouldn’t she? Hasn’t she fought hard to be her own boss and have absolute control over her work? I completely applaud that. She’s an amazing model for all women. But then even to her fans she’s practically impossible, stubborn, etc.? Like, who the hell do they think they are? None of them have achieved 1% of what she has and suddenly they know better. I’m glad she ignores them all. Personally, I quite trust her instincts and mostly, just hope she’s living her best life in her 60s.
                                                    Personally, I'm not mad at her at all and when I agree with menime and spiritboy about her being unmanageable, I don't mean it in a negative way.
                                                    I just don't think it's fair to say Guy is the one to blame regarding the ways her career took (if there's anyone to be blamed for anything in the first place,that is)
                                                    My opinion on this matter is that,at this point, Madonna is entitled to do whatever she wants to and she certainly doesn't accept people telling her what she has to do. At least not in the way it once was. I do believe she's opened to listen to offers and how she could or couldn't develop a project. But I don't have an inch of doubt that the final word is hers.
                                                    Besides that, The industry has changed a lot. The way for being successful nowadays is entirely different than it used to be . Honestly,and again,in my opinion, it's not for her anymore and she realizes that. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.
                                                    I think fans who say she should do this or that to be back at the top of the charts again are simply being delusional and living in a past that only exists there -> in the past.
                                                    Again,I don't mean it in a negative way, it's a time that comes for every artist and being honest here Madonna spent way more time at the top than basically everyone else. Ever.
                                                    I'm also glad that she seems to be enjoying her life,her kids,her boyfriend.
                                                    Whatever the future holds, I'm ok with it as it's no longer painful to expect her releases to top charts,sell milions and break records.
                                                    Now,more than ever,it really is all about the music.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X