No announcement yet.

Madonna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I do believe she could have a ‘Believe’ moment but that would need to involve a hell of a track everyone could get behind - radio, kids, and her label (releasing physical copies etc). Do I think it will happen? No, but I’m happy to go with it if she truly releases a song worthy of it.

I’ve enjoyed her music over the last decade (I love MDNA) but I can admit that none of the music she has recorded was worthy of hitting #1. It just hasn’t been good enough.

My bench mark is Hung Up - that song sits next to and above some of Madonna’s biggest hits. Has Madonna recorded a song as good as Hung Up, a song that could be included in the opening tracks of a Greatest Hits since?

That’s the calibre of song she needs and she hasn’t delivered. Hung Up was such an instant classic, a song that sounded like Madonna at her best - a career defining song if there ever was one... and Madonna knew it.

Yes, Madonna has released some good, even great songs along the way since but if she was serious about the charts she needs bigger and better. The closest I feel she got was Avicii Heart - I genuinely feel like Madonna could have done amazing things with that if it had been finished and fully realised. But sadly it wasn’t to be.

Madonna famously said ‘not every song can be Vogue’ but in order to have any sort of chart success, she needs to write or buy a Vogue.
    Words are useless, especially sentences.
    they don’t stand for anything.
    How could they explain how I feel?

Comment

• Originally posted by menime123 View Post

I honestly believe Madonna is making this for three reasons:

1. To prove she is a good director
      2. To stop anyone else making a biopic
      3. To cash in on the current biopic trend

I’m not convinced it’s for artistic purposes, but serves as a way of stopping other people making money using her name and to make a movie people will actually watch and notice her skills as a director. It’s absolutely a springboard to getting better director jobs/securing funding for her own movie projects rather than fan service.
      I think its a loose-loose. They will never accept her as a director just like they didnt as an actress. Not because she is a female, but because she is Madonna!

Which is tragic.

Comment

• I mean, she wasn’t a very good actress because she wasn’t an actress

Even so, if you add up her movie grosses (excluding documentaries but including cameos and voice parts), Madonna has acted in movies that collectively have grossed $1.1 billion.

Comment

Rosie only says she thinks Madonna is looking for a new writer, and no, it doesn’t mean Diablo is out. Scripts go through multiple versions and sometimes are still being re-written when a movie is already shooting.

In the end, different writers add their own voices and end up sharing scriptwriting credits even if they never sat in a room together to work on it. It doesn’t mean anything and Madonna is clearly in pre-production on the script, based on her Instagram posts.

It’s the same with her music - she tends to writes demos herself with a guitar then takes them to different producers looking for an inspired way to move the song forward. Songs like Broken and Hollywood were written years before they ended up being released, and we know Rebel Heart was shipped out to different people to work on different versions (and was also supposed to be re-produced by Kanye once Madonna all the final versions to ensure a sense of cohesion, but the leaks and time frame prevented that).

However it is very possible that angry Instagram post a few weeks ago was indeed about the biopic
          Totally and thanks for clarifying that process. The way I had it relayed to me it sounded like they totally rejected it. Chinese Whispers at play.

But I do think you are right re that post. A mess.

Comment

I do believe she could have a ‘Believe’ moment but that would need to involve a hell of a track everyone could get behind - radio, kids, and her label (releasing physical copies etc). Do I think it will happen? No, but I’m happy to go with it if she truly releases a song worthy of it.

I’ve enjoyed her music over the last decade (I love MDNA) but I can admit that none of the music she has recorded was worthy of hitting #1. It just hasn’t been good enough.

My bench mark is Hung Up - that song sits next to and above some of Madonna’s biggest hits. Has Madonna recorded a song as good as Hung Up, a song that could be included in the opening tracks of a Greatest Hits since?

That’s the calibre of song she needs and she hasn’t delivered. Hung Up was such an instant classic, a song that sounded like Madonna at her best - a career defining song if there ever was one... and Madonna knew it.

Yes, Madonna has released some good, even great songs along the way since but if she was serious about the charts she needs bigger and better. The closest I feel she got was Avicii Heart - I genuinely feel like Madonna could have done amazing things with that if it had been finished and fully realised. But sadly it wasn’t to be.

Madonna famously said ‘not every song can be Vogue’ but in order to have any sort of chart success, she needs to write or buy a Vogue.

Music at the top of the charts, bar very few exeption, is utter trash, Madonna ( like Janet or other big names of the past) could release tomorrow her best single in years, but she still would fail, charts have drastically changed and too many factors are involved.

Madonna has collected during these last decades such charts achievements and a longevity on the charts, that every pop girl today can only dream of!
            We should enjoy the fact she’s still releasing new music, experimenting new sounds, releasing amazing videos ( still in love with MX visuals) and going on tour with new ideas and show, whereas most of her peers have passed away or many of them have turned into GH acts .

Comment

• Madonna doesn’t have any peers on her level. I can’t think of a single pop act in their 60s doing arenas or getting #1 albums. We lump her in with Cher, but the truth is Cher debuted in the 60s, decades before Madonna.

Comment

• Oh ....a Janet or Whitney ( if alive) are defenitely her peers , I mean you don’t have to be necessary at the same level to be considererd a peer, at least in my book.
                Last edited by Forreal; Wed March 24, 2021, 21:09.

Comment

• Originally posted by Forreal View Post
                  Oh ....a Janet or Whitney ( if alive) are defenitely her peers , I mean you don’t have to be necessary at the same level to be considererd a peer, at least in my book.
                  Janet has never been her peer, not globally. In the US perhaps, but Janet’s in her early 50s and Madonna is in her 60s.

Comment

• I think Living For Love (tweaked) or Ghost Town handled well could have given her a big hit.

I think Beautiful Killer would have been very big had things been handled A LOT better.

I adore Medellin and would rather spin that than Hung Up but that’s just my current mood. MX is experimental, American Life like. Ciao Bella I can see being huge in the hands of antihero younger artist. Rihanna would make that ish huge. It’s too obscure to be Hung Uo big but hey.

What would resonate atm? They need tick tock. We hated on her for using features but a brilliant and I mean wow, would be a way to make it huge.

menime123 . It needs to be magical. Career defining and the best of that to be a hit. Even with that I doubt it’ll be a success. Sigh.Bo I get what you mean

Comment

Janet has never been her peer, not globally. In the US perhaps, but Janet’s in her early 50s and Madonna is in her 60s.
                      Generally people just use peers to refer to artists who started around the same time. As opposed to them being the same age.

At least that is how I always interpret it.
                      Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                      Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

Generally people just use peers to refer to artists who started around the same time. As opposed to them being the same age.

At least that is how I always interpret it.
                        I think they have to on a similar level too - do we really still think of Cyndi Lauper as Madonna’s peer, or has that ship left the gate?

Comment

I think they have to on a similar level too - do we really still think of Cyndi Lauper as Madonna’s peer, or has that ship left the gate?
                          Well i mean people still refer to for example Gaga, Adele, Taylor, Katy and Rihanna as peers even though they are all on different levels in terms of career purely because they are all from around the same time frame.

I mean Cyndi is kinda forgotten so i prob wouldnt think of her at all.

Comment

• Interesting... Rita Ora kneels with Madonna and possible MX documentary on Only Fans.

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainm...ntary-onlyfans

Comment

• It seemed each time they said Madonna was passing down the torch to the next big thing (Britney, Xtina, etc etc) she always reclaimed the throne up until 2008 or so.

Comment

• I would actually say more 2012 than 2008. To me, and probably many others, Madonnas last BIG cultural impact was the SuperBowl performance. She had a top 10 hit, mega viewers, an album coming out and a sold out massive tour. For many Madonna will be remembered 1982-2012.

Rebel Heart & MadameX have gone largely unnoticed in a general sense. They both had good first week debuts however.

Comment

• Originally posted by tee View Post
                                  I would actually say more 2012 than 2008. To me, and probably many others, Madonnas last BIG cultural impact was the SuperBowl performance. She had a top 10 hit, mega viewers, an album coming out and a sold out massive tour. For many Madonna will be remembered 1982-2012.

Rebel Heart & MadameX have gone largely unnoticed in a general sense. They both had good first week debuts however.
                                  You’re probably right about the performance, but I honestly don’t think anyone thought she was going to do amazingly well chart wise with GMAYL. It was very polarising amongst fans, and it leaked two months before it was officially released (in demo form, but basically the finished song without the features).

But it was hardly a chart hit, and less than 0.2% of the Super Bowl viewers bought the song after the performance. There was 100% payola at work in the US as they publicised a deal with radio to play every hour over the Super Bowl week/weekend I believe.

MDNA did hit #1 and the tour was financially a big success, but the show just wasn’t very good and it really damaged her touring power I think. On paper it should have worked as there’s some huge Madonna songs in the set list, but it’s a very cold show - it seems to lack heart, isn’t very fun and doesn’t build to a big hit finale.

I honestly think she lost her casual audience with the MDNA Tour, both in terms of touring and music. It coincided with the introduction of streaming which changed the industry anyway, but in fairness, Madonna had struggled to survive in the download era too - only her Hung Up, Sorry and 4 Minutes were real hits between 2005 to 2012.

Comment

• Personally, I think even the Superbowl played to her fanbase and showed no ambition whatsoever. Yes, it was the last time that the general audience payed real attention to her but I would agree with zeph that the throne was gone shortly after "4 Minutes" really...
                                    jio CHARTS NOW: 31/8/2021: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...4#post10741544

Comment

• Madonna killed her career with MDNA, it is an absolutely atrocious album. The only song from it that I can listen to these days is Masterpiece, which I love and possibly Love Spent. The rest of the standard edition is just simply terrible. Beautiful Killer and Best Friend are ok too but I wouldn't really miss them if they were not available.

Comment

Madonna killed her career with MDNA, it is an absolutely atrocious album. The only song from it that I can listen to these days is Masterpiece, which I love and possibly Love Spent. The rest of the standard edition is just simply terrible. Beautiful Killer and Best Friend are ok too but I wouldn't really miss them if they were not available.

You and your dramatics. It’s not an atrocious album by any means, it’s quite a fun pop record with some musically interesting songs and some pretty great lyrics.

Is it her strongest? No, but it’s still a perfectly acceptable album.

Comment

• 9 years later and I still think MDNA is her worst ever.
                                          I got used to it,especially as I don't listen to her music as much as I used to but whenever I think of it, it's in a bad way.
                                          In a way, I think it really killed a big part of her mainstream appeal but to say it killed her career is too strong and unreal. She could've still turned things around (in a way).

Comment

You and your dramatics. It’s not an atrocious album by any means, it’s quite a fun pop record with some musically interesting songs and some pretty great lyrics.

Is it her strongest? No, but it’s still a perfectly acceptable album.
                                            Great lyrics OMG.. the worst lyrics of her career I would say.

Comment

• MDNA era definitely killed her career. She thought she would get away with a generic, basic album and no promo. I don't agree with comments regarding MDNA Tour, it was a fantastic show and one of her best tours ever. RH Tour was a huge downgrade from the spectacle of MDNA Tour and i'm glad she skipped my country with that one.

Comment

• Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
                                                MDNA era definitely killed her career. She thought she would get away with a generic, basic album and no promo. I don't agree with comments regarding MDNA Tour, it was a fantastic show and one of her best tours ever. RH Tour was a huge downgrade from the spectacle of MDNA Tour and i'm glad she skipped my country with that one.
                                                I love the show too. Rebel heart was such a disappointment...

Comment

Great lyrics OMG.. the worst lyrics of her career I would say.
                                                  Songs like Best Friend, I ****ed Up, Love Spent, Beautiful Killer, Falling Free and Masterpiece are pure Madonna. No matter what you think of the songs, lyrically, once you get into them are just as good as anything that came before.

I mean, context is key too. The whole album is a divorce album, exploring the many aspects of it - the good and the bad. The lyrical content often doesn’t match the nature of the song either - you have to dig deeper.

Comment

Songs like Best Friend, I ****ed Up, Love Spent, Beautiful Killer, Falling Free and Masterpiece are pure Madonna. No matter what you think of the songs, lyrically, once you get into them are just as good as anything that came before.

I mean, context is key too. The whole album is a divorce album, exploring the many aspects of it - the good and the bad. The lyrical content often doesn’t match the nature of the song either - you have to dig deeper.
                                                    But you mentioned the four songs I said that I am ok with. So obvs I dont have an issue with those lyrically.

However.. I ****ed up.

We coulda bought a house with a swimming pool
                                                    Filled it up with Warhols, it would be so cool

Superstar

I'm your biggest fan, it's true
                                                    Hopelessly attracted to you
                                                    You can have the keys to my car
                                                    I'll play you a song on my guitar

Eye rolling, tragique lyrics. If the songs were good I could probably get past them but seeing as they aren't.. well.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X