Madonna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The mirrorball crucifix, genius.
    5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

• Originally posted by menime123 View Post
      I ‘confessed’ twice in London. Easily one of the greatest concerts of all time. I remember seeing RIT in 2004 (first time seeing her live) and knew I had to see her next tour more than once.

I was a teenager at the time, so got myself a part time job and saved across 2005 for tickets and the subsequent trip to London. I ended up travelling hundreds of miles to London on my own for five days and loving every minute of it - it was the first time I had ever been anywhere and really done anything on my own for myself.

Both my tickets were for shows around the catwalk b-stage and I remember standing on a chair to take a photo of her, and she looked right at me. If you are ever in Madonna’s orbit, you know it. Honestly, time stood still.
      I still remember how media here reported like crazy she was (finally) coming back to Brazil with this show but didn't believe it until the country's biggest tv news show called "Fantástico" announced it when the Get Together video was released, so I thought "wow this is really true then" lol Fool.
      I think it's her only show I honestly wish I had had the chance to see live ... A shame

Comment

• Originally posted by BodyShop View Post

I still remember how media here reported like crazy she was (finally) coming back to Brazil with this show but didn't believe it until the country's biggest tv news show called "Fantástico" announced it when the Get Together video was released, so I thought "wow this is really true then" lol Fool.
        I think it's her only show I honestly wish I had had the chance to see live ... A shame
        At least she came two years later! Did you get to see her then?
        I'm like a dream within a dream that's been decoded

#FreeBritney

Comment

At least she came two years later! Did you get to see her then?
          Yes and again on MDNA which is my absolute fave - the show obvs

Comment

Yes and again on MDNA which is my absolute fave - the show obvs
            MDNAT was terrible. Easily the worst show she’s done since WTGT.

#FreeBritney

Comment

MDNAT was terrible. Easily the worst show she’s done since WTGT.
              I know taste is subjective but you're crossing all the acceptable limits now.
              STOP.

(agree on WTG being her worst show though)

Comment

• MDNA has some great highs but some really bad lows. GGW is one of the best thigs she has ever done.

Comment

• Originally posted by Angeman View Post
                  MDNA has some great highs but some really bad lows. GGW is one of the best thigs she has ever done.
                  But even with its lows it's far from being her second worst show c'mon

Comment

• That intro omg. Still goosebumps. The chants are really haunting and set the mood.
                    5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

I know taste is subjective but you're crossing all the acceptable limits now.
                      STOP.

(agree on WTG being her worst show though)
                      So out of all her shows to 2012, you’d honestly put MDNAT above BAT, TGS, DWT, RIT, CT and S&S? Yes, taste is very subjective

#FreeBritney

Comment

• Originally posted by Angeman View Post
                        MDNA has some great highs but some really bad lows. GGW is one of the best thigs she has ever done.
                        Agreed - GGW’s intro was amazing and I love the Material Girl interlope in the dance breakdown. I’ve said it before, but MDNAT is a great listen but not necessarily the greatest watch.

I was in the golden circle (incidentally steps away from Kylie and George Michael) and there was a huge disconnect for me. In theory the song selection is brilliant - Vogue, Like a Virgin, Open Your Heart, Papa Don’t Preach, Hung Up, Like a Prayer, Express Yourself etc - but the set list doesn’t appear to have any sort of order and builds to a complete anticlimax with Celebration as it’s a virtually unknown single.

You stand through the snoozefest that was Candyshop, Erotica, Human Nature and Like a Virgin, only to watch her do I’m Addicted and I’m a Sinner. She tries to bring it back with Like a Prayer, but then it goes into Celebration and you’re back to thinking ‘WTF?’

That’s not how you end a stadium show.

#FreeBritney

Comment

So out of all her shows to 2012, you’d honestly put MDNAT above BAT, TGS, DWT, RIT, CT and S&S? Yes, taste is very subjective
                          On par with Confessions, BA and DW .
                          The Girlie Show coming on third.
                          BUT you can't say it's her worst thing since WTG when she has the awful S&S and,tbh ,looking back now I don't see anything trully special about Reinvention either.
                          Oh and MDNA becomes an even more spectacular show when she came back with the horrendous Rebel Heart

Comment

Agreed - GGW’s intro was amazing and I love the Material Girl interlope in the dance breakdown. I’ve said it before, but MDNAT is a great listen but not necessarily the greatest watch.

I was in the golden circle (incidentally steps away from Kylie and George Michael) and there was a huge disconnect for me. In theory the song selection is brilliant - Vogue, Like a Virgin, Open Your Heart, Papa Don’t Preach, Hung Up, Like a Prayer, Express Yourself etc - but the set list doesn’t appear to have any sort of order and builds to a complete anticlimax with Celebration as it’s a virtually unknown single.

You stand through the snoozefest that was Candyshop, Erotica, Human Nature and Like a Virgin, only to watch her do I’m Addicted and I’m a Sinner. She tries to bring it back with Like a Prayer, but then it goes into Celebration and you’re back to thinking ‘WTF?’

That’s not how you end a stadium show.
                            After the entire first segment which is pure perfection and could work out as mini show alone, the bold part is my second fave
                            Like a Virgin/Love Spent is simply wow Love the finale with celebration/give it 2 me sample
                            I do agree that segments are totally disconnected from each other but all Madonna shows have been like that since DW?
                            Even Confessions, what is Music Inferno doing there before La Isla Bonita/Erotica/Lucky Star ?
                            Tbh LS saves it all as it builds up into Hung Up in absolutely magical way but, for me, it's a mess how the show goes up and down after the second segment ...

Comment

On par with Confessions, BA and DW .
                              The Girlie Show coming on third.
                              BUT you can't say it's her worst thing since WTG when she has the awful S&S and,tbh ,looking back now I don't see anything trully special about Reinvention either.
                              Oh and MDNA becomes an even more spectacular show when she came back with the horrendous Rebel Heart
                              On par? What a cop out

RIT had to be experienced, I think. It’s fairly unique in her touring history as a show that isn’t about the presentation or the message, or the ‘darkness into light’ narrative she seems to enjoy. It was just Madonna and her band singing back to back hits, most of which hadn’t been performed in 10 to 20 years, and some songs never before performed outside of the US (on tour).

She was so fully of joy and light doing that show and I think it really helped her learn how to connect with her audience in way her previous tours never allowed. I think she really opened herself up and allowed herself to see and understand the joy singing her old songs gave people.

Madonna had always been so serious, so rehearsed and methodical on stage, but everything was stripped back and she just allowed herself to engage... and it’s been really wonderful watching that develop within her on every subsequent tour, to the point where on her last she felt comfortable enough going into the audience several times per show and even having conversations with fans.

There were no controversies on RIT, no deep messages, no outlandish or sexualised costumes... it was just Madonna singing and dancing to her biggest hits for her fans like any old pop star - except she just happened to be Madonna with the best catalogue in the history of music.

#FreeBritney

Comment

I do agree that segments are totally disconnected from each other but all Madonna shows have been like that since DW?
                                Even Confessions, what is Music Inferno doing there before La Isla Bonita/Erotica/Lucky Star ?
                                Tbh LS saves it all as it builds up into Hung Up in absolutely magical way but, for me, it's a mess how the show goes up and down after the second segment ...
                                I don’t mean the tour acts are disconnected, it’s more that despite Madonna including her biggest songs on MDNA, the versions of those songs were pretty weak interpretations of what they actually are and that created a barrier between Madonna and the audience. The only real stand out was Vogue.

Why she thought stripped down to sing a ballad version of LAV in a stadium show worked was beyond me. Ballads are hard enough in a stadium show, and she butchered one of her biggest hits to do so. Wrong song, wrong type of show, wrong audience.

Don’t even come for CT. That last 30 minutes is the best thing she’s ever done on tour. That’s how every Madonna show should end - with a greatest hits section, nothing but back to back hits and high energy all around.

Madonna left everyone wanting more. Celebration on MDNAT did not do that.

#FreeBritney

Comment

I don’t mean the tour acts are disconnected, it’s more that despite Madonna including her biggest songs on MDNA, the versions of those songs were pretty weak interpretations of what they actually are and that created a barrier between Madonna and the audience. The only real stand out was Vogue.

Why she thought stripped down to sing a ballad version of LAV in a stadium show worked was beyond me. Ballads are hard enough in a stadium show, and she butchered one of her biggest hits to do so. Wrong song, wrong type of show, wrong audience.

Don’t even come for CT. That last 30 minutes is the best thing she’s ever done on tour. That’s how every Madonna show should end - with a greatest hits section, nothing but back to back hits and high energy all around.

Madonna left everyone wanting more. Celebration on MDNAT did not do that.
                                  Last things first here lol
                                  She'll never top the Confessions finale nor the MDNA opening, facts.
                                  Like I said ,LS +HU on CT are indeed the best and despite being a great show overall,the middle is totally ???
                                  Regarding the the comment about the stripped down version of Like a Virgin on MDNA, the answer is simple :cause it's all about the performance and it was indeed one of the best and most powerful performances of her entire career if you ask me. Even more so when she added love spent to it. Simple and tremendously effective,pure art and amazing .
                                  About RIT yes,back then it felt amazing... Madonna singing Vogue? Like a Prayer? Into The Groove? Wow
                                  17 years later it's just a meh show, with bits of greatness here and there so yes,if I need to rank it , it's definitely at the bottom low... Along with S&S and WTG which is,for me,her absolute worst - although I admit Rebel Heart may take its place in a near future... Who knows...

Comment

• MDNA for me personally ranks as a top 3 tour for her it’s incredible.

Menine please stop forcing your taste on others and stating your opinion as fact. Of someone loves the show then leave it. You’re not the final authority on Madonna.

Comment

• Vogue to Like a Virgin is pure art.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mpol View Post
                                        MDNA for me personally ranks as a top 3 tour for her it’s incredible.

Menine please stop forcing your taste on others and stating your opinion as fact. Of someone loves the show then leave it. You’re not the final authority on Madonna.
                                        It is a fact that I consider MDNAT her worst tour since WTG. I can’t change that, so maybe learn to accept opinions. As far as I’m aware we were having a pleasant exchange - this is a discussion forum after all.

Not everything has to be prefaced with the words ‘I think’. It’s pretty obvious I think a lot when it comes to Madonna.

#FreeBritney

Comment

• On a different but relative subject, the "MDNA tour" and "Rebel Heart tour" DVDs and cds have 0 replay value for me and that's a first for a Madonna tour dvd/cd. I just don't enjoy them at all whereas I can rewatch countless times all Madonna tours before
                                          jio CHARTS NOW: 17/8/2021: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...3#post10690993

Comment

• Originally posted by KEY9481 View Post
                                            Vogue to Like a Virgin is pure art.
                                            Vogue went big and it worked in a stadium. But the performance afterwards became more detailed, more intricate and intimate - it became more about the performance than the music, which creates that audience disconnect I mentioned earlier. It would have been better in an arena, almost perfect in a theatre where most of the audience could see and weren’t stuck half a field away.

#FreeBritney

Comment

• Originally posted by jio View Post
                                              On a different but relative subject, the "MDNA tour" and "Rebel Heart tour" DVDs and cds have 0 replay value for me and that's a first for a Madonna tour dvd/cd. I just don't enjoy them at all whereas I can rewatch countless times all Madonna tours before
                                              On the DVDs I agree - but I did put that down to my age and the fact I’m not a teenager/early 20s anymore. On the other hand I really appreciate the CDs as they always bring new life to the music - out of context and isolated, each song tends to have something really interesting going on that I can appreciate, like the remix performance of GMAYL or the energy on LAV (RHT) and its throwback to BAT.

Im really looking forward to MXT as I really want to revisit the show, but I think I’m more excited to get the live album than the visuals.

#FreeBritney

Comment

• Re-Invention Tour - 17th Anniversary

Madonna opened her unofficial greatest hits show on 24th May 2004, performing a selection of new songs from American Life alongside a selection of her biggest hits - most of which hadn’t been performed in 10 to 20 years.

#FreeBritney

Comment

It is a fact that I consider MDNAT her worst tour since WTG. I can’t change that, so maybe learn to accept opinions. As far as I’m aware we were having a pleasant exchange - this is a discussion forum after all.

Not everything has to be prefaced with the words ‘I think’. It’s pretty obvious I think a lot when it comes to Madonna.
                                                  your tone is very pointed and it isn’t fact it’s your opinion. Like you said you’ve just contradicted yourself. It’s fact to you? No sweetie like you said it’s your opinion.

Anyway.
                                                  I loved what she managed to do with the MDNA songs on the tour. They truly come alive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mpol View Post

your tone is very pointed and it isn’t fact it’s your opinion. Like you said you’ve just contradicted yourself. It’s fact to you? No sweetie like you said it’s your opinion.

Anyway.
                                                    I loved what she managed to do with the MDNA songs on the tour. They truly come alive.

There was no self contradiction. Read the language used and perhaps accept that I don’t think everything Madonna does is perfect. Which is your real objection.

#FreeBritney

Comment

Working...
                                                    X