Madonna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
    I only use Candy Shop, Miles Away and Beat Goes On from that album. Beat Goes On was wasted by not being released as a single.
    The real waste was Miles Away and it was a single. The highlight of the album and a brilliantly open and honest song and she didn’t even do a video for it. She was so over Warner
    I'm like a dream within a dream that's been decoded

#FreeBritney

Comment

• I have to make a confession.
      When Hard Candy was released, Madonna was quite the joke of the moment around here.
      So I decided to download the album and actually see what the fun was about and I was ready to shade the fudge out of Madge.
      Those were the days when I first started to use the Internet and be on music board, etc.
      Turned out I loved the album, even Incredible and Spanish Lesson.
      And to this day, it's still one of my favorite record of hers.
      5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

• Incredible,Dance 2Night ,Heartbeat and Miles Away are my faves.
        Still love 4 Minutes and got tired of GIVE IT 2 ME although it never was one of my super faves anyway.
        LOVE She's not me but I cut it 2 min before the actual end cause it drags on forever which makes it unbearable.

Comment

• Originally posted by menime123 View Post

The real waste was Miles Away and it was a single. The highlight of the album and a brilliantly open and honest song and she didn’t even do a video for it. She was so over Warner
          Miles Away could've been a nice top 10 hit for her in UK i guess. It slayed in Japan though, wish she had another song that was used in TV series which would have given her another hit in Japan.
          Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by spiritboy View Post

Miles Away could've been a nice top 10 hit for her in UK i guess. It slayed in Japan though, wish she had another song that was used in TV series which would have given her another hit in Japan.
            If they had released a music video it would have been an easy top 10 hit, just like Get Together had been a few years earlier (also 3rd single). The problem was without the video, no one knew it was being released so no one bought it!

There is a video, but it remained unreleased and became an exclusive for the Celebration DVD released a year later.

#FreeBritney

Comment

• Originally posted by Mpol View Post
              Ahhhh how was it ???
              Same infectious vibe that radiated during her HC pre-album release performances. Don’t believe any of the hype—- whether she enjoys what’s she doing; feeling inspired or not; Madonna still brings it. And brings it good.

Hung Up has been on my mind ever since and shot back upto #1 on my personal chart. Awesome song.

And everyone knows it whether you are in your twenties or fifties.

Comment

• So glad you had fun. Madonna is queen

Comment

• It's impossible not to have fun when you watch Madonna perform.
                  Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by menime123 View Post
                    Love Hard Candy. I never understood the hate for it, and whilst it has weaker moments, I love it all. Dance 2Night is probably the worst song though - and I’ll admit it: I really like Spanish Lesson. Yes it’s fun and yes it’s silly, but it’s catchy and it is what it is.
                    I enjoy that album so much. It had a lot to live up to after Confessions though, and I wonder if that is responsible for the blowback on it.

Comment

• Miles Away is very much loved here and a well known song. It made the top 10 and the live video was also played. I never understood why only Dutch radio played it on heavy rotation. Radio here still loved her back then. The first two singles both went to #1.
                      My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post

I enjoy that album so much. It had a lot to live up to after Confessions though, and I wonder if that is responsible for the blowback on it.
                        Hard Candy ranks in my Top 3 fave Madonna albums. It was tremendously underrated and I’m sure ageism was the main factor.

American Life
                        Rebel Heart (personal track selection version)
                        Hard Candy

Comment

• Originally posted by Zeph View Post

Rebel Heart (personal track selection version)

Curious to know your tracklist

Comment

• Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post

Possibly, but I don’t think so. There was a massive shift within her own fanbase as soon as they found out she was working with Timbaland - honestly, I’d never known so many people hate an album before it had even been recorded.

Fans made up all kinds of stories like Madonna being forced to work with Justin and Timbaland as revenge from Warner for leaving them. Timbaland had worked with everyone by the time 2007 came around and Madonna actively chasing a trend had never happened before - how do you go from working with unknowns like Orbit, Mirwais and Price to someone like Timbaland?

There was quite a lot of support for Madonna to make a rock album at the time too, so the R&B route wasn’t well received. There was an interview in 2007 (I forget why) where the interviewer said fans were hoping for a rock album and she said ‘I’ll run upstairs and tell that to Pharell’

Then Candy Shop leaked, like six months before the album dropped. No one knew what to make of it. I remember everyone calling it a demo as it leaked alongside a demo of ‘Beat Goes On’ too. But people were not happy and the album cover did not help matters either.

Some argued that COADF was Madonna’s European ‘damage control’ album after American Life, and that Hard Candy would be her US damage control album. I do think there was something to that, though if it was ever a real strategy Madonna threw it completely out the window when she recorded MDNA.

All I know is that 4 Minutes was absolutely the right song at the right time for Madonna. I have always loved it and people forget it was a massive hit - she was #1 in the UK for four weeks and managed to get a #3 hit in the US - if Madonna and Justin had performed it at an awards show together, I honestly think she could have had a US #1 too.

Ironically 4 Minutes is perhaps the song on Hard Candy that hasn’t aged well at all, but the album really stands up. I never understood the hate for it - some people to this day are still craving a COADF sequel and I guess will hate everything that isn’t that. Which is a shame, because COADF is the anomaly in her discography, not the rule.

#FreeBritney

Comment

• Originally posted by Forreal View Post

Curious to know your tracklist
                              I promise to get to it and share it. Expect a lot of Avicii and cuts that didn’t make the proper album. She was truly robbed when it was leaked and was forced to revamp it.

Comment

• #erotica #dita

Always nice to see her embracing the "past"

Comment

• Well, for what it's worth, I wanted a Madonna rock album too but I was totally thrilled when I heard that she was making an R&B album with Timbaland instead, I loved all his work, I also loved her other R&B foray with "Bedtime Stories" so I loved the idea. Then when "4 Minutes" came out, I was perplexed. Yes, it was a massive hit (it had her best chart run ever in the UK although that had a lot to do with ever-shifting chart rules) but I hated it. I was still hopeful for the album but when it came out, what a disappointment, everything from the cover to the songs, I mean there were a handful of good songs and a couple of great too but there were also some of her weakest material in there too and as a whole it did not work for me. At the time I thought it was just a bleep to an otherwise great career, sadly she was never to make a great album again, at least not for me up to now.
                                  jio CHARTS NOW: 17/8/2021: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...3#post10690993

Comment

• Our Hard Candy experiences are similar jio except I had wanted Madonna to work with Timbaland in the 90s back when he forward-thinking in his own right. By the time they worked together, he wasn't quite as creatively hungry, content to copy the same formulas he'd done for other artists rather than innovate the way he used to. I was also dismayed to find M dropped the dusky-voiced delivery she developed in the 90s and early 00s in favor of an affected, pitch-shifted chirp that was supposed to...what? Make her sound younger? I don't know but it grated me. And that ghastly cover. Jesus wept.
                                    She's got a cute little voice but she doesn't really have any fans...none that can fight....

Comment

• My indifference with Hard Candy comes from its production. Especially the Pharrell tracks. It feels rushed and unfinished in areas. Her vocal treatment was rather testing too.

elements of Incredible and Heartbeat are fantastic yet other parts are trash. Had she replaced Spanish Lessons (wtf) and incredible with Latte and Across the Sky it would have been a very sweet solid effort.

Personally I feel the highlights Int’l he album don’t rank anywhere near as high as other albums.

it’s weird it’s aged decently but at the time if felt dated as the production and producers had already saturated the market with their sound. But now it holds its own a little better. Much like Rebel Heart.

Comment

• Tbh it was just the cover which I couldn't get onboard with, I like the album

Comment

• “Hard Candy” aged pretty well, way better than I expected. “Miles Away”, “Beat goes on” and “Devil” were clear highlights. “Heartbeat” was great as well. But yes, the cover was bad and it surely had a negative effect on sales. She was not keen on promoting the album, and it was very visible. She did “Give it 2 me” video just so there is a follow-up single, which was mostly doa in the US. Her US promo ended in May/June. UK made that tiny push in terms of live video for “Miles Away”, but that really added very few HC copies. She was so over it, and I believe she could’ve had 2 decent US hits, with both MA and BGO (especially that one) peaking inside top 50 if not top 40. That could’ve pushed actual sales in the States closer to the 900k.!

Comment

• Originally posted by SerbianInLA View Post
                                            “Hard Candy” aged pretty well, way better than I expected. “Miles Away”, “Beat goes on” and “Devil” were clear highlights. “Heartbeat” was great as well. But yes, the cover was bad and it surely had a negative effect on sales. She was not keen on promoting the album, and it was very visible. She did “Give it 2 me” video just so there is a follow-up single, which was mostly doa in the US. Her US promo ended in May/June. UK made that tiny push in terms of live video for “Miles Away”, but that really added very few HC copies. She was so over it, and I believe she could’ve had 2 decent US hits, with both MA and BGO (especially that one) peaking inside top 50 if not top 40. That could’ve pushed actual sales in the States closer to the 900k.!
                                            There wasn’t a video released for Miles Away until 2009 - the live version was an exclusive unreleased video included on ‘Celebration’, and not released alongside the single release.

The video for Give It 2 Me was pretty poor IMO but it’s possible Warner didn’t give her a budget - she was leaving them after all. Same with the Celebration video.

The promotion wasn’t as extensive as COADF but in hindsight she did pretty well actually. She did a number of TV interviews, a few magazine interviews, did an online album launch gig in the US and then performed at a Radio One festival in the UK - I remember watching that holding a sleeping baby

It’s worth noting that her marriage was over but unannounced at this point too. Madonna had a lot going on and she threw herself into the S&S tour.

#FreeBritney

Comment

• The Madame X docu is going to Paramount+.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRCpjbpB..._web_copy_link

Comment

• Meltdowns in 3...2...1...
                                                "Complaining is an advertisement for stupidity"

Comment

• Originally posted by thebigham View Post
                                                  The Madame X docu is going to Paramount+.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRCpjbpB..._web_copy_link
                                                  Noooo!

Comment

• I don’t care where it’s going, as long as I can watch it.

Reading about it, Paramount+ looks like it means business - it has a decent roster and enough cinematic clout to back it up: Mission Impossible 7 and A Quiet Place 2 will be added just 45 days after a cinema release, alongside a new season of Fraiser.

Clearly they are buying up content and probably offered Madonna a decent sum. It also appears that they own the rights to Truth or Dare - Miramax is co-owned by ViacomCBS, which also owns Paramount+ from what I can gather.

I’m pretty sure Madonna owns IGTTYAS, so if there is an actual documentary coming (in addition to MXT) it’s possible Paramount+ could stream all three.

My biggest issue is Paramount+ hasn’t launched in the UK so I don’t know how I’ll get it yet

Looking at their list of original programming, most of the stuff is on Netflix UK and Amazon Prime, so I guess internationally MXT could still go to either platform.

#FreeBritney

Comment

Working...
                                                    X