Madonna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post

“Erotica” has a tour (and a great one BTW) that is the great “Girlie Show” ….. “Bedtime Stories” didn’t have a tour.

”Erotica” has 5 singles , “Bedtime” has 4

”Erotica” has a book and was a statement , “Bedtime” was (unfairly) viewed as “let’s just jump into the safe R&B trend”.

”Erotica” music was way more experimental and very artistic , “Bedtime” had a few songs that were repetitive.

———

I love both albums and eras , “Bedtime” is definitely a great one … BUT “Erotica” >>>>>>>>

The Girlie Show is my favorite Madonna tour, so it makes it hard to choose.

But I still prefer Bedtime Stories songs and videos. The music video for Bedtime Story is a masterpiece.
    Xtina / Nathy Peluso / Rosalía / Nina Simone / Lauren Hill

Comment

• Originally posted by likeidogoldlink View Post

The Girlie Show is my favorite Madonna tour, so it makes it hard to choose.

But I still prefer Bedtime Stories songs and videos. The music video for Bedtime Story is a masterpiece.
      “Bedtime Stories” had two great music videos: “Bedtime Story” which is all-time visual masterpiece level (possibly her best music video ever) and “Human Nature” which is stunningly choreohraphed and shot.

“Secret” music video is good and solid but not “great” and “Take A Bow” music video is overrated as f*ck (I like it but it’s not that amazing as everyone makes it seem to be).

——

“Erotica” had like 4 perfect / great music videos. “Bad Girl” and “Rain” are cinematographic landmarks among her videography (both really stunning music videos) and “Erotica” and “Deeper And Deeper” are also amazing music videos.
      Last edited by MrLeonix; Sat October 16, 2021, 19:30.
      Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
      Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

“Bedtime Stories” had two great music videos: “Bedtime Story” which is all-time visual masterpiece level (possibly her best music video ever) and “Human Nature” which is stunningly choreohraphed and shot.

“Secret” music video is good and solid but not “great” and “Take A Bow” music video is overrated as f*ck (I like it but it’s not that amazing as everyone makes it seem to be).

——

“Erotica” had like 4 perfect / great music videos. “Bad Girl” and “Rain” are cinematographic landmarks among her videography (both really stunning music videos) and “Erotica” and “Deeper And Deeper” are also amazing music videos.
        I never knew Take a Bow was such a hit. I always thought Nature Human was a smash hit because I saw that video a lot on TV in the 2000s.

The music videos for Rain and Erotica are 10/10. Art.

Comment

I never knew Take a Bow was such a hit. I always thought Nature Human was a smash hit because I saw that video a lot on TV in the 2000s.

The music videos for Rain and Erotica are 10/10. Art.
          “Take A Bow” was big all over the Americas , it was the main hit of the album over here. I do like the song though, most of her fans hate it but I don’t, song is nice. What I don’t care about is the overrated music video.

“Bedtime Story” and ”Human Nature” were both bombs for Madonna’s standards back in the day.
          Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
          Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

“Take A Bow” was big all over the Americas , it was the main hit of the album over here. I do like the song though, most of her fans hate it but I don’t, song is nice. What I don’t care about is the overrated music video.

“Bedtime Story” and ”Human Nature” were both bombs for Madonna’s standards back in the day.
            Erotica and BS (+ROL) are her peak of creativity. It is a pity that they did not sell better.

But quality> quantity

Comment

You stan for “Hard Candy” and said it was the best album of her career , ban yourself
              Not true.

Yes I stan Hard Candy.
              No it isn’t her best.
              No it isn’t my favourite.
              My favourite has always been American Life.

The production on Hard Candy is sublime and yes, I have said it it her best produced album - even the lows (and it has them) have brilliantly detailed instrumentals that over ten years later, mostly still sound fresh. Timbaland, Danja, Pharrell and Madonna did not come to play.
              Bleep Bloop Blop

Comment

Yeah but in Europe was not quite the same. Despite Madonna promoted "Take a Bow" in Europe in TV Shows.

In UK "Take a Bow" missed the TOP 10 while Bedtime Story was #04 (she performed at Brit Awards) and Human Nature was #08.

Comment

• American Life, Confessions, Music & Hard Candy

the ultimate celebration with sprinkles of Rebel Heart demos mixed in.

Perhaps I was too young to appreciate E or BS, but the older me still prefers the above 4 above all else.

Comment

Erotica and BS (+ROL) are her peak of creativity. It is a pity that they did not sell better.

But quality> quantity
                    “Music” (album) too …. Don’t forget “Music”.

Comment

• ROL I was coming of age so it’s a grey area. Besides lost many friends to AIDS who loved that album. Who would’ve thought 23 years later there would be something to combat its spread in medicinal form. No thanks to Dr Fauci but that’s another story.

There will always be one Queen!

Comment

• Bedtime Stories beats Erotica in every way. To paraphrase her favourite current phrase, Erotica and SEX didn’t just disturbed the peace, it smashed it into a million pieces. Her true artistic expression though came with the follow up - and potentially the first time she was an artist first and foremost rather than a pop star.

Everything was improved. The production was better. The songwriting was better. The lyrics were clever - who turns a poem from the 1600s into a 1990s pop song? Who quotes Shakespeare and turns it into a song about heartbreak? And did anyone ever work out what the secret was? Genius.

That trilogy of Love Tried To Welcome Me/Sanctuary/Bedtime Story is right up there as one of the best moments on any of her albums. The mood, the atmosphere... music as art.

I’ve listened to Erotica a lot of this week and it is flawed, but without it we wouldn’t have Bedtime Stories. From LAP to ROL you can see Madonna’s development as an artist, as a songwriter and her ability to dig deep and craft an actual body of work - and Bedtime Stories is where she finally cracked the formula for a Madonna album. You can see it’s influence throughout her later albums, but most significantly on Ray of Light.

I always feel like Bedtime Stories is massively overlooked by Madonna and the public, but real fans just know.
                        Bleep Bloop Blop

Comment

• Even Madonna herself doesn’t seem to give a d*amn about “Bedtime Stories” (other than “Human Nature”).
                          Last edited by MrLeonix; Sat October 16, 2021, 20:31.

Comment

Even Madonna herself doesn’t seem to give a d*amn about “Bedtime Stories” (other than “Human Nature”).
                            I mean by that logic Madonna doesn’t give a damn about Like a Prayer (other than LAP and EY)
                            Bleep Bloop Blop

Comment

Erotica album, era, singles, looks >>>> Bedtime Stories

True,true ,true and true

Comment

• GMAYL >>>>> Living for Blah.

i said what I said.

Comment

• Originally posted by menime123 View Post

I mean by that logic Madonna doesn’t give a damn about Like a Prayer (other than LAP and EY)
                                  2 is more than 1

Comment

• Originally posted by MadNuno View Post
                                    Yeah but in Europe was not quite the same. Despite Madonna promoted "Take a Bow" in Europe in TV Shows.

In UK "Take a Bow" missed the TOP 10 while Bedtime Story was #04 (she performed at Brit Awards) and Human Nature was #08.
                                    Peak positions in the UK didn't matter much those days. Both Bedtime Story and Human Nature underperformed heavily by freefalling fast and I wouldn't be surprised if Take A Bow outsold both despite its much lower peak.

To me Bedtime Stories still remains her worst studio album with Erotica following it very closely and probably MDNA closing the bottom Top 3.

Comment

• Originally posted by maroon View Post
                                      Peak positions in the UK didn't matter much those days.
                                      Well that’s very wrong. In the 90s you debuted at your peak and fell down the charts. It also broke Madonna’s streak of 35 top 10 consecutive singles.
                                      Bleep Bloop Blop

Comment

• I have to say that "Erotica" remains one of my favourite Madonna albums.
                                        Sure "Bedtimes Stories" is not bad but too much R&B and Soul for my taste. To me "Erotica" is one of Madonna masterpieces (Only "Ray of Light" and "Like a Prayer" are better). I prefer the remix from "Secret" to the original version (also prefer the "Bedtime Story" remix also). I do love "Human Nature" that was saddly blocked from most radios - then again the song was critisizing them too so...). Warner tried to push "Don't Stop" as single (against Madonna will) even issuing CD-Promos to give to radios and some still played the song.

"Erotica" bass and groove is amazing.
                                        "Deeper and Deeper" is an fabulous dance song and so is "Fever" - that video mix beat is even better than the album version.
                                        "Bad Girl" and "Rain" are very good ballads - "Rain" did great for a 5th single.

Let's not forget the amazing "Bye Bye Baby" (that was a single in selected markets).

The album also had some very good non single songs like "Why Is It So Hard", "In This Life", "Where Life Begins", "Thief of Hearts" or "Secret Garder".
                                        To me the weakest tracks were "Words" (good but a bit repetitive) and "Did You Do It".
                                        From 14 tracks it had 12 amazing songs - that's already more than the 11 tracks on "Bedtime Stories" album.

Comment

• “Secret” was a flawless single IMO (possibly my favorite single from “Bedtime Stories”) … “Bedtime Story” was my favorite music video of the era though.

”Erotica” era was fascinating. The only thing I would have changed is the “Fever” single release (I think she should have used the budget to release “Thief Of Hearts” instead).

Comment

• Originally posted by maroon View Post
                                            Peak positions in the UK didn't matter much those days. Both Bedtime Story and Human Nature underperformed heavily by freefalling fast and I wouldn't be surprised if Take A Bow outsold both despite its much lower peak.

To me Bedtime Stories still remains her worst studio album with Erotica following it very closely and probably MDNA closing the bottom Top 3.
                                            Not sure about each single sales. I believe "Human Nature" sold less as it really fell fast.

"Bedtime Story" was 13 weeks on UK TOP 100 while "Take a Bow" was only 9 weeks on the charts so it didn't fell that fast out of the charts being able to stay 2 weeks inside the TOP 10. Yet "Bedtime Story" stayed only 3 weeks inside the TOP 40 region while "Take a Bow" was 6 weeks inside TOP 40. It was the worst Madonna single peak at the time as despite "Lucky Star" peaked at #14 all of her other singles had TOP 10 peak until "Take a Bow" (that ended her string of 36 consecutive TOP 10 Singles - still an all time record).

Bedtime Story (UK Chart):

#04 - #08 - #21 - #41 - #61 - #61 - #62 - #72 - #80 - // - #66 - #86 - #80 - #93

Take a Bow (UK Chart):

#17 - #16 - #18 - #21 - #25 - #32 - #44 - #61 - #71 - //

Human Nature (UK Chart):

#08 - #21 - #28 - #46 - #64 - // - #90

As in:
                                            https://www.officialcharts.com/artist/28948/madonna/

All Madonna songs played a lot on music channels but "Take a Bow" was a bigger airplay hit. "Bedtime Story" was a huge club hit being played at most dance clubs (more than "Secret" remix) becoming the biggest dance hit from the album. MTV in Europe also played a lot both "Secret (remix)" and "Bedtime Story (remix)" - I wonder why they still haven't uploaded the video remixes for these songs on her official channel.

Comment

• ^ At the end of the day “Take A Bow” ended up as the most remembered song from the album though. It has over 33 million streams on Spotify while “Secret” has less then 15 million and “Bedtime” and “Human Nature” both have less than 10 million streams

On Youtube is not very different:

Secret - 22 million views
                                              Take A Bow - 27 million views
                                              Bedtime Story - 7,7 million views
                                              Human Nature - 6,2 million views

“Take A Bow” is also among Madonna’s Top 20 singles on Spotify daily streams (on daily basis).

Comment

^ At the end of the day “Take A Bow” ended up as the most remembered song from the album though. It has over 33 million streams on Spotify while “Secret” has less then 15 million and “Bedtime” and “Human Nature” both have less than 10 million streams

On Youtube is not very different:

Secret - 22 million views
                                                Take A Bow - 27 million views
                                                Bedtime Story - 7,7 million views
                                                Human Nature - 6,2 million views

“Take A Bow” is also among Madonna’s Top 20 singles on Spotify daily streams (on daily basis).
                                                On Youtube "Secret" was ahead of "Take a Bow" until 2018 - Not really sure what happened but "Take a Bow" stepped ahead as since 2017 started having twice the yearly views of "Secret". Let's not forget that "Take a Bow" was her longest US #01 ever and that certainly plays a part here too.

Comment

• Erotica is my favorite album by M followed closely by Music and Like a Prayer. I will say though that the videos for Bedtime Stories are better imo.

Comment

• The Bad Girl music vídeo alone wipes the floor with the entire Bedtime Stories era

Comment

Working...
                                                    X