No announcement yet.

Madonna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Erotica is clearly better than Bedtime Stories, which is where she just went for a current US sound at the time to try and stop the backlash from Erotica/Sex/Body of Evidence...Bedtime Stories has some great singles but the rest is very US 90's bland R&B...

Comment

• I prefer BS album overall, while Erotica has many very high moments, it also has more fillers than Bedtime Stories.
      Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by BodyShop View Post
        The Bad Girl music vídeo alone wipes the floor with the entire Bedtime Stories era
        That video is very good but "Bedtime Story" video when was out was amazing. Not only because it was the most expensive video made at the time and got to be the first pop video ever to be part of the MOMA permanent fine art collection but also because CGI at the time was not as advance. They took 6 days to shoot the video and doing CGI - pre and post production for the video - took almost 6 months to get it ready. The video was so different that it even had silver screen premiere in US Cinemas for a couple of weeks before being shown elsewhere and Madonna did that "Pajama Party" for MTV. What concerns the Art World this remains one of Madonna best videos.

The video was so iconic that after the video release Michael Jackson hired the director Mark Romanek to direct "Scream". In an interview Romanek said that "Scream" video was only more expensive than "Bedtime Story" when we take into account all Michael and Janet personal production demands costs as he did spent more in the Madonna video ("Scream" was out 6 months after "Bedtime Story").

Before this video the most advanced CGI music video we had was probably by Pet Shop Boys ("Go West"). Today "Bedtime Story" CGI may seem a bit basic at times but remember that the video was made almost 30 years ago and back then this kind of effects were rare. A video full of CGI like Taylor Swift "Me!" today have budgets around $500k and are quicker to make as technology evolved a lot.

Warner really gave Madonna huge promotion budget for the "Bedtime Stories" album (including money for videos - filming "Take a Bow" in Spain wasn't cheap also) as they wanted to make sure their "golden chicken" would continue to put ou "golden eggs". They made a lot of money from Madonna after this (the 1996 year end Warner Music International sales reports puts "Something To Remember" compilation among TOP 10 best selling Warner albums of the year with sales over 11 million in total - it was already TOP 10 for Warner in the 1995 year end report).

All this said "Bad Girl" (that looks like an amazing mini-movie) and all other David Finsher videos ("Express Yourself", "Oh Father" and "Vogue") also remain some of Madonna best videos ever (both by critics and artist community). The passage from the bar to the street on the video remains one of my favourite editing scenes in all Madonna videography as it's smooth and amazing (and nothing like that was much seen at all back then - almost 30 years ago).

Too bad that some of Madonna best videos ever remain unknown by most people out there - those who watched MTV back then know and remember all these videos (even "Fever" video was pretty critically acclaimed when released because of direction and editing too).

Comment

• Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
          I prefer BS album overall, while Erotica has many very high moments, it also has more fillers than Bedtime Stories.
          "Erotica" does have more tracks - 14 vs 11 so just count how many great songs there are in both and how many fillers.

To me "Love Tried To Welcome Me", "Inside of Me", "I'd Rather Be Your Lover" and "Forbidden Love" are kind of fillers (average good but not great songs) in the Bedtime Stories album leaving only 7 songs. In Erotica album the only fillers to me are "Words" and "Did You Do It" (you certainly see more fillers there - which ones?) leaving me with 12 amazing songs.

I heard some people dislike some of the songs where she talks like "Waiting" or "Where Life Begins" or the jazzy "Secret Garden" but even if you also consider those 3 fillers there would still be 9 amazing songs there - I personally love those songs but I love jazzy sounds (and I absolutely love the "I'm Breathless" album).

Comment

• Hi friends.

U know this list?

http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/top_artists/t0.htm

Is very interesting! The best of the best! And Madonna is the # 1 female artist (26 overall) who had the best material in music history.
            Last edited by MusicGoddess; Sun October 17, 2021, 11:37.

Comment

• Originally posted by MadNuno View Post

"Erotica" does have more tracks - 14 vs 11 so just count how many great songs there are in both and how many fillers.

To me "Love Tried To Welcome Me", "Inside of Me", "I'd Rather Be Your Lover" and "Forbidden Love" are kind of fillers (average good but not great songs) in the Bedtime Stories album leaving only 7 songs. In Erotica album the only fillers to me are "Words" and "Did You Do It" (you certainly see more fillers there - which ones?) leaving me with 12 amazing songs.

I heard some people dislike some of the songs where she talks like "Waiting" or "Where Life Begins" or the jazzy "Secret Garden" but even if you also consider those 3 fillers there would still be 9 amazing songs there - I personally love those songs but I love jazzy sounds (and I absolutely love the "I'm Breathless" album).
              LTTWM Inside Of Me and Forbidden Love fillers?

why do I have to read such a blasphemy.

the transaction in the second part of the album that goes from Forbidden Love To Bedtime Story is just perfection

Comment

• Originally posted by Forreal View Post

the transaction in the second part of the album that goes from Forbidden Love To Bedtime Story is just perfection
                Yes the transation is very good but the song itself is feels pretty lame and corny - I skip those songs most of the time I listen to this album.

Comment

• Erotica and BS feels dark. Period.

Comment

• Originally posted by MusicGoddess View Post
                    Hi friends.

u know this list?

http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/top_artists/t0.htm

is very interesting! The best of the best! And Madonna si the # 1 female artist (26 overall) who had the best material in music history
                    Madonna is #01 female artist in almost any list that takes her whole carreer into account - no surprise here.
                    #26 overall is quite low - she should ahead many of those names - worst case scenario TOP 20 but she really deserves a TOP 10 placement with her work.

Never heard of this site but I really don't give it much credit either as it's made with:

"Lists of albums or songs by people around the world who work with music. Mainly critics' lists, but sometimes lists made by artists, radio station staff, etc. I use some delimitations though. For example, end of year lists from single critics are not included as it would take way too much time to add them all, and genre-specific lists are only included if they are from magazines with special focus on the genre."

Looking at each decade Madonna deserved to be much higher (especially in the 90's and 2000's) but media critics were never very kind to her. Most that did bad reviews for "Erotica" in the '92 and for "American Life" have redempt themselves later with articles stating how ahead of their time those albums were, how much better they were than what they wrote in their initial reviews and how the sound of them remaind comtemporary for so long - yet I'm sure that this site only takes into account the original.

In the 10's they put Lana Del Rey behind Beyoncé? (that certainly pays for good reviews as that's Jay-Z way - pay for reviews, awards, #01 on lists including MTV, etc).

My guess is that they used mainly material from US and UK magazines, radios, MTV, critics, etc. As most Madonna backlash was in US she is in a lower place than if they were using also critics from the other world bigger music markets like Japan, Germany, France, Italy and Spain for instance (to name some of the most representative music markets).
                    Last edited by MadNuno; Sun October 17, 2021, 10:57.

Comment

• ^
                      The list is very interesting.

The site maybe with the time can be better.

Madonna had the best female music catalog ever. He count only albums and songs, but sadly not tour or videos.

About Beyonce, she isnt a songwriter or producer, but she is an amazing singer and good performer.

I think the same, Lana can be more high than Beyonce.
                      Last edited by MusicGoddess; Sun October 17, 2021, 12:25.

Comment

In the 10's they put Lana Del Rey behind Beyoncé? (that certainly pays for good reviews as that's Jay-Z way - pay for reviews, awards, #01 on lists including MTV, etc).
                        5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

• HUNG UP 16TH ANNIVERSARY
                          Released: October 17th 2005.

"Hung Up" became a global commercial success, peaking atop the charts of 41 countries and earning a place in the Guinness Book of World Records. It was Madonna's 36th top 10 single on the Billboard Hot 100, tying her with Elvis Presley as the artist with most top ten hits. It also became the most successful dance song of the decade in the United States. "Hung Up" has sold over five million copies worldwide.

"Hung Up" was ranked at number 76 on Rolling Stone's 100 Best Songs of the 2000s list, calling it "One of Madonna’s most captivating hits ever — and thanks to those deceptively hard-hitting lyrics, one of her most personal." NME placed it at number 39 on their list of the best tracks of 2005. Slant Magazine listed the song at number 36 on their list of Best of the Aughts: Singles, saying: "'Hung Up' employs a ticking clock to represent fear of wasted time, but Madonna isn't singing about aging or saving the world—she's talking about love. It had been years since Madge sounded this vapid. With its pitched-upward vocals, infectious arpeggio sample from ABBA's 'Gimme Gimme Gimme (A Man After Midnight),' and the bridge's unironic, archetypical key change, the track decidedly points to the past, and it proved that, 20 years into her career, Madonna was still the one and only Dancing Queen". The song was also named the 26th best single of 2005 by Pitchfork. Stylus Magazine included "Hung Up" on their ranking of the best singles from 2005 at number 11. In 2016, "Hung Up" was named in the online poll by Digital Spy, as "The Biggest Pop Song of the 21st Century"
                          Bleep Bloop Blop

Comment

• Happy sweet sixteen
                            Bleep Bloop Blop

Comment

• Originally posted by menime123 View Post
                              Well that’s very wrong. In the 90s you debuted at your peak and fell down the charts. It also broke Madonna’s streak of 35 top 10 consecutive singles.
                              Well, that's what I'm talking about. Even a number 1 song that leaves the chart entirely within 2 weeks can hardly be considered a big hit. Peaks were relevant only for the statistics back then. Most of the singles that peaked high went into obscurity and their total sales remained very poor so it doesn't matter that "Take A Bow" broke a streak of Top 10 hits if it sold more than her other singles that went Top 10.

Comment

Happy sweet sixteen
                                I feel very old

Comment

Not sure about each single sales. I believe "Human Nature" sold less as it really fell fast.

"Bedtime Story" was 13 weeks on UK TOP 100 while "Take a Bow" was only 9 weeks on the charts so it didn't fell that fast out of the charts being able to stay 2 weeks inside the TOP 10. Yet "Bedtime Story" stayed only 3 weeks inside the TOP 40 region while "Take a Bow" was 6 weeks inside TOP 40. It was the worst Madonna single peak at the time as despite "Lucky Star" peaked at #14 all of her other singles had TOP 10 peak until "Take a Bow" (that ended her string of 36 consecutive TOP 10 Singles - still an all time record).

Bedtime Story (UK Chart):

#04 - #08 - #21 - #41 - #61 - #61 - #62 - #72 - #80 - // - #66 - #86 - #80 - #93

Take a Bow (UK Chart):

#17 - #16 - #18 - #21 - #25 - #32 - #44 - #61 - #71 - //

Human Nature (UK Chart):

#08 - #21 - #28 - #46 - #64 - // - #90
                                  The difference is that "Take A Bow" was charting in the Christmas period when sales of the singles used to be huge and it was quite stable in those couple of weeks in 1994. In total it remained a bit longer in the Top 200 than "Bedtime Story" too, with the latter's release date falling in February when sales were very low. All in all, both underperformed of course but TAB ended up with sales over 100K while Bedtime Story has never reached that mark, as far as I know.

Comment

Erotica
                                    Fever
                                    Bye Bye Baby
                                    Deeper And Deeper
                                    Bad Girl
                                    Rain

Those are the only songs i use from Erotica album, guess that would make a cute EP for me. I guess i also use 6 or 7 songs from BS as well
                                    Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• MTV Germany airs the Madame X Tour film tonight let’s gooooo
                                      Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift •

Comment

• I love where life begins and secret garden I wish she would do an album in that acid jazz vein

Comment

• Originally posted by Forreal View Post

True.
                                          Actually, the second part is what turns Brdtime Stories into one of her very best albums

Comment

• I never got why the BS era was deemed as her jumping to safe R&B music and trend chasing.

Being honest, the album is not even that hardcore R&B to me , yes, it has some R&B influenced stuff but it’s not like she was trying to be TLC, Mary J Blige or Toni Braxton. The album even had some experimental, trip hop, electronica tracks such as “Bedtime Story” and “Sanctuary” (which served as a prelude to “Ray Of Light” sound), the lead single “Secret” while it had R&B influence is far from being the typical R&B jam, it’s widely acoustic actually. BS is a fanstatic forward thinking Pop record with some influences of R&B music which critics mistook as trend-chasing.

Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                                            Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post
                                              I never got why the BS era was deemed as her jumping to safe R&B music and trend chasing.

Being honest, the album is not even that hardcore R&B to me , yes, it has some R&B influenced stuff but it’s not like she was trying to be TLC, Mary J Blige or Toni Braxton. The album even had some experimental, trip hop, electronica tracks such as “Bedtime Story” and “Sanctuary” (which served as a prelude to “Ray Of Light” sound), the lead single “Secret” while it had R&B influence is far from being the typical R&B jam, it’s widely acoustic actually. BS is a fanstatic forward thinking Pop record with some influences of R&B music which critics mistook as trend-chasing.
                                              People forget that it wasn't mainstream R&B that made Madonna shift the direction of BS but Dallas Austin's work on the debut album of underground funk singer Joi, The Pendulum Vibe. "Secret" certainly hues tighter to the sound of that album than any of Austin's chart-topping work.
                                              She's got a cute little voice but she doesn't really have any fans...none that can fight....

Comment

• Madonna did what Madonna always did - hired producers and co-wrote and co-produced her music to keep it a pop album. All Madonna albums sound like a Madonna album and that’s the identity she brings as a producer.
                                                Bleep Bloop Blop

Comment

Madonna did what Madonna always did - hired producers and co-wrote and co-produced her music to keep it a pop album. All Madonna albums sound like a Madonna album and that’s the identity she brings as a producer.
                                                  Except for “Hard Candy” which sounds like Nelly Furtado’s “Loose” had a bastard copy .. “MDNA” which sounds like nothing really, just a souless cr*p album and “Rebel Heart” which has so many random songs that it sounds like a mixtape.
                                                  Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                                                  Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• Originally posted by NormiMalone View Post

People forget that it wasn't mainstream R&B that made Madonna shift the direction of BS but Dallas Austin's work on the debut album of underground funk singer Joi, The Pendulum Vibe. "Secret" certainly hues tighter to the sound of that album than any of Austin's chart-topping work.
                                                    Exactly and critics didn’t get it.

I feel like the tracklist order / flow isn’t right though. The album for some reason feels way much stronger on the second half and it makes the listening experience very uneven. This could have been easily solved with a different tracklist order.

My favorite songs on the album are “Secret”, “Forbidden Love”, “Sanctuary”, “Bedtime Story” and “Take A Bow”.

”Take A Bow” (one of Madonna’s most hated singles ever by her fanbase), I have to say that as hated as it is the song is beautifully produced, the production is so delicate and refined, the Chinese / Japanese Opera sound-like style, the lament background vocals, the instrumentation and musical detail, Madonna’s vocals … It was a Top Notch / stellar 10/10 production and that can’t be denied.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X