Madonna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by locoporti View Post

During the 80's some naked pictures from her youth were published in the United States, I always read that was the reason for her sales in America not being so huge like in Europe. The United States was very conservative in that decade, well It kinda still is
    This makes no sense .

American Life controversies caused the big damage, even Sex the book didn’t cause such a backlash

Comment

• Originally posted by JayCrawford1964 View Post
      When was Madonna's prime? Give a time frame... I've always wondered this.
      For me it's 1985 - 1990: From Like A Virgin she had hit after hit. Eight(!) top 10 hits in 1985 up till 1990 where she peaked with the video for Vogue, the stunning performance at the MTV-awards, a great acting role in Dick Tracy, her best tour ever (Blond Ambition) and her first greatest hits album: The Immaculate Collection.
      My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• Originally posted by Westen View Post
        Wait, so not only we have Xmas songs slaying on Spotify, now we have even Halloween songs, but songs actually being regular pop hits that have no connection to it. But ofc Madonna is the only one not to have either

Streaming era will be the end of her, she just can't win
        I actually have three Madonna songs on my Halloween playlist: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5R...2607af1f334a7f

Ghosttown
        Supernatural
        Devil Wouldn't Recognize You

Comment

During the 80's some naked pictures from her youth were published in the United States, I always read that was the reason for her sales in America not being so huge like in Europe. The United States was very conservative in that decade, well It kinda still is
          Madonna posed nude for art students and art photographers. Playboy bought them and published them in July 1985. Madonna released Like a Virgin in November 1984 and True Blue in 1986. Both albums have combined sales of approximately 40 million albums.

Bleep Bloop Blop

Comment

• Originally posted by Forreal View Post

This makes no sense .

American Life controversies caused the big damage, even Sex the book didn’t cause such a backlash
            In the US absolutely. She’s only had three top 10 singles in the US after she was cancelled by radio in 2003 for having a political opinion.
            Bleep Bloop Blop

Comment

• Judging by the responses when I ask you guys and gals when Madonna was in her prime... It was 80s - early 90s era, what was it that caused her decline after 91 or 92? The quality of her music or struggling to adapt with the times?

Comment

Judging by the responses when I ask you guys and gals when Madonna was in her prime... It was 80s - early 90s era, what was it that caused her decline after 91 or 92? The quality of her music or struggling to adapt with the times?
                It’s not that complicated to understand. She went from releasing commercial catchy hook paradise pop radio hit songs to releasing experimental, sexualized and weird “Erotica”. It’s like in 1992 she liberated from those obvious structured pop catchy tunes and focussed more on artistry, experimentation and taking risks. The sequence “Erotica” - “Bedtime Stories” - “Ray Of Light” basically saw Madonna exploring with house, acoustic, trip hop, Electronica, R&B, alternative rock and dream pop music ….. When you listen to her 80s stuff you will hear bubblegum and dance-pop conventional tunes instead, like “Like A Virgin”, “Material Girl”, “Crazy For You”, “Papa Don’t Preach”, “Borderline”, “Holiday”, “Lucky Star”, “La Isla Bonita”, “Open Your Heart”, etc.
                Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• I would say Madonna peaked commercially in 80’s and artistically in 90’s. Her 2000’s represented her fight to remain among mainstream pop girls, but also saw her new peak when it comes to touring. And then 2010’s definitely marked her demise.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post

It’s not that complicated to understand. She went from releasing commercial catchy hook paradise pop radio hit songs to releasing experimental, sexualized and weird “Erotica”. It’s like in 1992 she liberated from those obvious structured pop catchy tunes and focussed more on artistry, experimentation and taking risks. The sequence “Erotica” - “Bedtime Stories” - “Ray Of Light” basically saw Madonna exploring with house, acoustic, trip hop, Electronica, R&B, alternative rock and dream pop music ….. When you listen to her 80s stuff you will hear bubblegum and dance-pop conventional tunes instead, like “Like A Virgin”, “Material Girl”, “Crazy For You”, “Papa Don’t Preach”, “Borderline”, “Holiday”, “Lucky Star”, “La Isla Bonita”, “Open Your Heart”, etc.
                    Sounds like the same problem Prince had... Except it was worse than Madonna's in my opinion

Comment

• Comment

• I love her fierce looks lol
                        she looks like hollaback girl as gwen. Love it.
                        Still pulling it at her age. Amazing
                        Last edited by autumnwind; Tue November 2, 2021, 07:07.
                        Madonna is the queen of pop and the biggest selling female music artist of all time!

Comment

• Originally posted by UnapologeticKenny View Post

❤️❤️❤️ The costume. She looks so hot and cool. She should do this more often

Comment

• After the release of her thrilling new documentary concert and art film ‘Madame X’, chronicling the tour of her 14th studio album under the same name, the inimitable icon gets captured through the lens of photographer and longtime collaborator #StevenKlein in an homage to the glamour and tragedy of cinema star #MarilynMonroe—inspired by #BertStern’s iconic ‘The Last Sitting’.

In conversation with American playwright #JeremyOHarris, the prophet of pop discusses her 40+ year-long career, the inspiration behind her #MadameX album, and how her incomparable fearlessness has fueled her longevity in show business.
                            5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

Sounds like the same problem Prince had... Except it was worse than Madonna's in my opinion
                              Let’s make clear that from the mid 90’s with the release of STR, than Evita till Ray Of Light , she achieved big commercial success again and other than that also general critical acclaim.

Comment

• I remember also that many in America were mocking Madonna by the time 'Confessions' was released about how she was trying to speak with a British accent . At that time, she was living in England with Guy Richie. I don't think Hung Up didn't hit #1 on Billboard 100 due to political statements made two years ago. Her audience was not Republican and by the time Confessions came out most Americans knew that the war was a mistake. It's just that HU was very European sounding.

Comment

I remember also that many in America were mocking Madonna by the time 'Confessions' was released about how she was trying to speak with a British accent . At that time, she was living in England with Guy Richie. I don't think Hung Up didn't hit #1 on Billboard 100 due to political statements made two years ago. Her audience was not Republican and by the time Confessions came out most Americans knew that the war was a mistake. It's just that HU was very European sounding.
                                  When HU was released Usa radio station was all about r nb and hip hop, Hung Up being the gayest thing on earth was the last thing on the planet Usa radio would ever touch lol

Comment

I remember also that many in America were mocking Madonna by the time 'Confessions' was released about how she was trying to speak with a British accent . At that time, she was living in England with Guy Richie. I don't think Hung Up didn't hit #1 on Billboard 100 due to political statements made two years ago. Her audience was not Republican and by the time Confessions came out most Americans knew that the war was a mistake. It's just that HU was very European sounding.
                                    If radio had played Hung Up it would have gone to #1. It got to #7 basically on pure sales, which was a mammoth achievement in Q4 2005 for a single. Radio didn’t play it and they have rarely played any of her new music since 2003. They cancelled her and stuck with it.

I mean Die Another Day got to #8 and is regularly considered one of her worst singles - but radio played it. Six months later it was all over. American Life stalled on its way up the charts and Hollywood became her first single not to chart on the Hot 100 since 1982.

2003 is the only time Madonna has backed down and kept her mouth shut. She pulled her music video, blamed it on threats made against her children and never once called anyone out about her sudden US cancellation.

That isn’t the Madonna we know and love. I have long assumed something went down behind the scenes and Madonna was given the heads up about what was going to happen to her and that’s why she pulled her video. Whether that’s through connections Liz had or from Warner directly, who knows.

But for once Madonna did not make a song and dance about it. Something went down.
                                    Bleep Bloop Blop

Comment

Judging by the responses when I ask you guys and gals when Madonna was in her prime... It was 80s - early 90s era, what was it that caused her decline after 91 or 92? The quality of her music or struggling to adapt with the times?
                                      In fact that's not exactly true.
                                      Thing is Madonna's career is so full of heights that if you have to choose only one time frame,it becomes almost impossible and every fan will have different opinions,judging by different standards (the answers you got show that)
                                      Many consider the Confessions era as her "third" peak as Hung Up was a massive worldwide hit and the Confessions tour was a massive sell-out tour.
                                      Before that you had Ray of light-Music (1998/2001)- huge sales,critical acclaim, a huge global hit and comeback to live shows after 8 years.
                                      SO,it's absolutely unfair to say she had a "decline" after 92 as if she never reached super successful hights again.
                                      She definitely had really low points but they were pontual and she managed to climb back up again and again,until at least mdna- that's when she truly fell and never recovered again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Artoo View Post

If radio had played Hung Up it would have gone to #1. It got to #7 basically on pure sales, which was a mammoth achievement in Q4 2005 for a single. Radio didn’t play it and they have rarely played any of her new music since 2003. They cancelled her and stuck with it.

I mean Die Another Day got to #8 and is regularly considered one of her worst singles - but radio played it. Six months later it was all over. American Life stalled on its way up the charts and Hollywood became her first single not to chart on the Hot 100 since 1982.
                                        True!
                                        "Hung Up" was #01 in single sales for 13 weeks and on Digital songs for 2 weeks but peaked on airplay only weeks later at #42.

In Europe "Hung Up" was #01 in both sales and airplay for multiple weeks.

Comment

• Hung up topped the single sales chart and digital download chart. Only peaked at #42 on airplay.
                                          Hung Up (#42/11w)
                                          (05/11/2005): 73-59-52-53-47-*42*-46-52-58-60-71

‘Sorry’even failed to chart on airplay.

If radio had played Hung Up and sorry , the album would have gone 3x Platinum, the same with the Music Album

outside the United States ,they both shipped over 5 million copies in Europe ,COADF performed even better in Japan.
                                          After that she really struggled on airplay.

4 minuets only peaked at #11.

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post

For me it's 1985 - 1990
                                            Same for me. But I’d consider 1995/2001 as well.
                                            When she rubuilt an image with STR, released You’ll See and I Want You, produced ROL and Music and was universally acclaimed both commercially and critically
                                            Last edited by Shadowplay; Tue November 2, 2021, 17:14.
                                            "Despair, regret, and tenderness is what I feel for you"

Comment

• Do you all make love to Madonna music?

Comment

Neither. Erotica was quality music as well much great for that time. It just wasn't as commercial as her earlier music. Also, some people turned against her for a while because of the whole SEX/Erotica image.
                                                She did have other huge era's with Evita, Ray of Light and Confessions On A Dance Floor.

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post
                                                  She did have other huge era's with Evita, Ray of Light and Confessions On A Dance Floor.
                                                  And Music!
                                                  "Despair, regret, and tenderness is what I feel for you"

Comment

• "Complaining is an advertisement for stupidity"

Comment

Working...
                                                    X